How the hell.......?!?

Magik

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004

Do people make so much cash so fast?

The Origin server is up for 4 hours and there is already gold for sale on
eBay and houses for sale on Tradespot.

I couldn't even finish the first leg of the Pally quest because Haven was so
overrun. I went to kill critters for leather, wool and feathers and only
had 2k in my bank after an hour (spent some on skills).

How do they make 100k in an hour???

Ice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:17:07 -0800, "Magik" <magik87@putercom.org>
wrote:

>Do people make so much cash so fast?
>
>The Origin server is up for 4 hours and there is already gold for sale on
>eBay and houses for sale on Tradespot.
>
>I couldn't even finish the first leg of the Pally quest because Haven was so
>overrun. I went to kill critters for leather, wool and feathers and only
>had 2k in my bank after an hour (spent some on skills).
>
>How do they make 100k in an hour???

Exploit?

sarah

A player with 4 accounts creates 6 characters on each account. That is 24k
GP. More if most of the characters sell their equipment.

Just out of curiosity, I made a character on Origin and went to Zento. ALL
the prime house sites around town were already taken.

I won't be back to Origin any more.

Sarah

"Magik" <magik87@putercom.org> wrote in message
> Do people make so much cash so fast?
>
> The Origin server is up for 4 hours and there is already gold for sale on
> eBay and houses for sale on Tradespot.
>
> I couldn't even finish the first leg of the Pally quest because Haven was
> so
> overrun. I went to kill critters for leather, wool and feathers and only
> had 2k in my bank after an hour (spent some on skills).
>
> How do they make 100k in an hour???

>>Do people make so much cash so fast?
>>
>>The Origin server is up for 4 hours and there is already gold for sale on
>>eBay and houses for sale on Tradespot.

>>How do they make 100k in an hour???
>>
>Exploit?

Could be cartographers...if that still works.

They buy scrolls for next to nothing, then just make tons and tons of maps,
costing them about 3-5 gold to craft, then sell them to the vendors for 15-20
or so...

If you're bored enough to do it, or just lame enough not to put any effort into
your playtime, i guess it's the "ultimate" get rich scheme.

*sighs*
~Cyrus~

*And are you really surprised about the gold and houses up for sale already?*

Cyrus of Sosaria wrote:
>>>Do people make so much cash so fast?
>>>
>>>The Origin server is up for 4 hours and there is already gold for sale on
>>>eBay and houses for sale on Tradespot.
>

>>>How do they make 100k in an hour???
>>>

>>Exploit?
>>

> Could be cartographers...if that still works.
>
> They buy scrolls for next to nothing, then just make tons and tons of maps,
> costing them about 3-5 gold to craft, then sell them to the vendors for 15-20
> or so...
>
> If you're bored enough to do it, or just lame enough not to put any effort into
> your playtime, i guess it's the "ultimate" get rich scheme.

Cartographers are not profitable anymore. Even if you can make World
Maps, you only make 1 gp profit per map now. Regardless, it really is
not too hard to make 100k in an hour if you know what you are doing. I
am a bit behind with respect to quick goldgaining methods on a new
shard, but there are always ways. Of course, not all the gold that is
up for auction has actually been earned yet. Brokers like to put things
up or auction that they are going to have by the time the auction
closes, not necessarily that they have when the auction opens. A recent
case of that was a broker auctioning a "Samurai Empire enabled account"
a week before SE even shipped.

On 17 Dec 2004 06:02:10 GMT, cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria) wrote:

>>>Do people make so much cash so fast?
>>>
>>>The Origin server is up for 4 hours and there is already gold for sale on
>>>eBay and houses for sale on Tradespot.
>
>>>How do they make 100k in an hour???
>>>
>>Exploit?
>>

>Could be cartographers...if that still works.
>
>They buy scrolls for next to nothing, then just make tons and tons of maps,
>costing them about 3-5 gold to craft, then sell them to the vendors for 15-20
>or so...
>
>If you're bored enough to do it, or just lame enough not to put any effort into
>your playtime, i guess it's the "ultimate" get rich scheme.

I think I lost a little bit of money when I was training my cartographer
so I don't think that's it. (What you described reminds me of Dundee and
Shade power-tailoring.) Anyhow maybe they just transferred a character
with a lot of bank checks to the new shard or are they preventing that for
a while?

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 06:28:30 GMT, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
wrote:

>I think I lost a little bit of money when I was training my cartographer
>so I don't think that's it. (What you described reminds me of Dundee and
>Shade power-tailoring.) Anyhow maybe they just transferred a character
>with a lot of bank checks to the new shard or are they preventing that for
>a while?

Nah, character transfers and advanced characters are disabled for
the first 30 days. I hear another good way to make money is to take
your newbie swordsman into the Solen tunnels and just kill the workers
for gold and gems.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

wrote:

>Do people make so much cash so fast?
>
>The Origin server is up for 4 hours and there is already gold for sale on
>eBay and houses for sale on Tradespot.
>
>I couldn't even finish the first leg of the Pally quest because Haven was so
>overrun. I went to kill critters for leather, wool and feathers and only
>had 2k in my bank after an hour (spent some on skills).
>
>How do they make 100k in an hour???

Wooden Shields. The material is free and shopkeepers buy them as fast
as you make them. If you work with someone you stroll through the
woods making shields and he runs them back to town and sells them.
--
"E Pluribus Unum Auarca"

- the inevitable consequence of owning a puppy.

Magik

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004

"Cyrus of Sosaria" <cystocot4@cs.com> wrote in message
> >>Do people make so much cash so fast?
> >>
> >>The Origin server is up for 4 hours and there is already gold for sale
on
> >>eBay and houses for sale on Tradespot.
>
> >>How do they make 100k in an hour???
> >>
> >Exploit?
> >

> Could be cartographers...if that still works.
>
> They buy scrolls for next to nothing, then just make tons and tons of
maps,
> costing them about 3-5 gold to craft, then sell them to the vendors for
15-20
> or so...
>
> If you're bored enough to do it, or just lame enough not to put any effort
into
> your playtime, i guess it's the "ultimate" get rich scheme.
>
> *sighs*
> ~Cyrus~
>
> *And are you really surprised about the gold and houses up for sale
already?*

Not really surprised, just disappointed. After seeing what these morons can
do in a few hours, EA could turn on Character Transfer tomorrow and it
wouldn't make any more difference to the shard than waiting 30 days........

Magik

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004

"Polychromic" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On 17 Dec 2004 06:02:10 GMT, cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria) wrote:
> I think I lost a little bit of money when I was training my cartographer
> so I don't think that's it. (What you described reminds me of Dundee and
> Shade power-tailoring.) Anyhow maybe they just transferred a character
> with a lot of bank checks to the new shard or are they preventing that for
> a while?

Advanced Characters and Character Transfer are off for the first 30 days.
And only SE-enabled accounts can access the shard.

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 04:06:18 -0500, Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 06:28:30 GMT, Polychromic <macecil@comcast.net>
>wrote:
>>
>>I think I lost a little bit of money when I was training my cartographer
>>so I don't think that's it. (What you described reminds me of Dundee and
>>Shade power-tailoring.) Anyhow maybe they just transferred a character
>>with a lot of bank checks to the new shard or are they preventing that for
>>a while?
>
>Nah, character transfers and advanced characters are disabled for
>the first 30 days. I hear another good way to make money is to take
>your newbie swordsman into the Solen tunnels and just kill the workers
>for gold and gems.

Doesn't matter to me. I don't just callously create gold miners. My
characters are too real to me. I like Atlantic just fine.

--

"Sarah" <nospam@spam.com> wrote in message
>A player with 4 accounts creates 6 characters on each account. That is 24k
>GP. More if most of the characters sell their equipment.
>
> Just out of curiosity, I made a character on Origin and went to Zento. ALL
> the prime house sites around town were already taken.
>
> I won't be back to Origin any more.
>
> Sarah

I don't think I'll even bother going to look. Sounds terrible.

I saw a very simple, yet brilliant, idea posted about a year ago, that never
saw the light of day - simply, to have a very basic 'representation' of the
outside of a house visible in 'the lands', yet have the 'real' house (a) on
another server and (b) much bigger inside than outside - much like the
dungeons are. Not that I want a dungeon sized house - I'd never find
anything!
It would solve a lot of the housing arguments, expand the amount of
available housing drasticly, and even allow for things like (shudder)
housing blocks. "I live in apartment 226b, Lord Blacktorn estates"... I
think the original discussion suggested applying it to boats, to make house
boats, but the same would be good for houses.
The only people who would cry would be those who leave their houses private,
but like decorating the outside.

Still, not going to Origin any time soon.

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:12:12 -0000, "Alergic Alchemist"
<allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Sarah" <nospam@spam.com> wrote in message
>>A player with 4 accounts creates 6 characters on each account. That is 24k
>>GP. More if most of the characters sell their equipment.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, I made a character on Origin and went to Zento. ALL
>> the prime house sites around town were already taken.
>>
>> I won't be back to Origin any more.
>>
>> Sarah
>>
>I don't think I'll even bother going to look. Sounds terrible.
>
>I saw a very simple, yet brilliant, idea posted about a year ago, that never
>saw the light of day - simply, to have a very basic 'representation' of the
>outside of a house visible in 'the lands', yet have the 'real' house (a) on
>another server and (b) much bigger inside than outside - much like the
>dungeons are. Not that I want a dungeon sized house - I'd never find
>anything!
>It would solve a lot of the housing arguments, expand the amount of
>available housing drasticly, and even allow for things like (shudder)
>housing blocks. "I live in apartment 226b, Lord Blacktorn estates"... I
>think the original discussion suggested applying it to boats, to make house
>boats, but the same would be good for houses.
>The only people who would cry would be those who leave their houses private,
>but like decorating the outside.
>
>Still, not going to Origin any time soon.

I think what would really solve the problem would be just to give all
houses the same amount of storage regardless of their size. I think
that half the reason people go for the enormous 18x18 plots and turn
them into ugly concrete cubes is just for the extra storage. A serious
UO player usually can't get by with the item count a small house
provides.

Even better would be to give every account a certain amount of storage
that would be accessible via their bank box even if they didn't own a
house. If you had enough storage and if you could easily transfer
stuff between characters then owning a house wouldn't be such a life
or death issue.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

Ice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:12:12 -0000, "Alergic Alchemist"
<allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I don't think I'll even bother going to look. Sounds terrible.
>
>I saw a very simple, yet brilliant, idea posted about a year ago, that never
>saw the light of day - simply, to have a very basic 'representation' of the
>outside of a house visible in 'the lands', yet have the 'real' house (a) on
>another server and (b) much bigger inside than outside - much like the
>dungeons are. Not that I want a dungeon sized house - I'd never find
>anything!

That idea was first presented to the DEV teem the first year, with
several variations. Some suggested "apartments", others wanted
real houses, but on another server. I thought they may be going to
try something like that when I read that housing was going to be
handled different in UO-SE. I really do not see anything different
about housing in UO-SE.

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:27:09 -0500, Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote:

>I think what would really solve the problem would be just to give all
>houses the same amount of storage regardless of their size. I think
>that half the reason people go for the enormous 18x18 plots and turn
>them into ugly concrete cubes is just for the extra storage. A serious
>UO player usually can't get by with the item count a small house
>provides.

The original argument against this idea was "item count" Each server
can only handle a limited amount of items. The DEV team just keeps
creating more items and things seem to still run, so I am not sure
that is still a good argument. If they really wanted to limit items,
more things would "stack". Potions in bottles, arcane gems, seeds
from the same plant, BOD's that are identical, etc.

>Even better would be to give every account a certain amount of storage
>that would be accessible via their bank box even if they didn't own a
>house. If you had enough storage and if you could easily transfer
>stuff between characters then owning a house wouldn't be such a life
>or death issue.

There is a real reason for this one. Because people wanted to be able
access their bank account from any bank in the land, you bank account
is connected to your character. It travels every place your character
goes. If you had a large item count crossing server lines and running
across the country side, you would be too lagged to move.

The answer to this problem would be to have only Gold attached to your
character, and you pick a town where your "bank box" can be accessed
when you create your character. If you want to change towns, you
would have to do it just like you do when you change houses. YOU pick
up all your stuff and move it to another town bank, you could have
maybe one week to get things moved and close the first box before it
is all eliminated. This box could be accessed by all characters on
the account, or "maybe" even any character with the password.

The "personal" bank box that travels with the character would be
limited to maybe 20 or so items. Gold and a few re-outfit armor
and weapons for when your killed and lose everything.

Something like this could even bring "dead towns" like Trinsic back to
life. Everyone could not get a bank box in Britain, so towns like
Trinsic, Minco and Vesper, would again become populated. Towns
would again become a place to meet new people, not just a place to
spam what you have to sell, or want to buy.

I like the idea of having a common account bank box, and I do not
mind being requires to pick a town to open my "Bank account".
I would also love to see ALL the towns populated again with people
using the bank, and chatting.

I have known a lot of people that have said they would not have a
house if they had a common bank box that all of their characters
could use. If you have 5 characters, you get storage for 1125 items,
if you have 6 characters, maybe you get a bonus storage of 200 items.
(I say that because you had to pay extra for the 6th character slot).

Just MHO,

Ice

Magik wrote:
> Do people make so much cash so fast?
>
> The Origin server is up for 4 hours and there is already gold for sale on
> eBay and houses for sale on Tradespot.
>
> I couldn't even finish the first leg of the Pally quest because Haven was so
> overrun. I went to kill critters for leather, wool and feathers and only
> had 2k in my bank after an hour (spent some on skills).
>
> How do they make 100k in an hour???

The fast gold is in hides. You can pretty much one hit a cow and cut
leather sells for ~20 gold per for spined anyway.

Which is one of my complaints with the short sighted new price list.
They followed the EQ model where you lose money advancing skill in the
hope you may make a couple of nice items after spending a fortune.

But what they did wrong other then just being a bonehead reaction was
increase the price of raw materials bought and sold from a vendor! OSI
doesn't even do a good job of stealing ideas. The idea is to make the
vendor price given for raw materials low enough that people gather raw
materials to sell to other players. The price of using something to
advance skill vs. just sell the raw<or low level> materials back to the
vendors is *HUGE*.

For example it takes 7 logs to make a bow which the vendors will give
~13-14 gold. You make more just sticking with making bolts or selling
the boards. When and if you get to GM you can make an exceptional heavy
xbow which has nothing but a 35% damage increase. Whoop de do! You find
better stuff on mongbats.

Same story for tailoring. Take those hides worth ~20 gold and make a
pair of sandles that sell for 4 gold. It does a have better top end with
enhancing but I wouldn't bother getting there.

Is it really that hard to adjust prices? I don't think so. Seems like it
would be about a 2 day job for someone that has the sense that god gave
geese.

OSI has always had a history of screwing up new shards with some exploit
or price imbalances. I imagine they always will.

Magik

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2004

"Rick Cortese" <ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Magik wrote:
> > Do people make so much cash so fast?
> >
> > The Origin server is up for 4 hours and there is already gold for sale
on
> > eBay and houses for sale on Tradespot.
> >
> > I couldn't even finish the first leg of the Pally quest because Haven
was so
> > overrun. I went to kill critters for leather, wool and feathers and
only
> > had 2k in my bank after an hour (spent some on skills).
> >
> > How do they make 100k in an hour???
> >

> The fast gold is in hides. You can pretty much one hit a cow and cut
> leather sells for ~20 gold per for spined anyway.

Hmmm......I was only getting 5gp per hide, even for the spined ones. Are
the prices restricted for [young] characters? I know young's can only buy
20 regs at a time, no matter what the NPC has been farmed up to.

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 16:21:50 GMT, Rick Cortese
<ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Magik wrote:
>> Do people make so much cash so fast?
>>
>> The Origin server is up for 4 hours and there is already gold for sale on
>> eBay and houses for sale on Tradespot.
>>
>> I couldn't even finish the first leg of the Pally quest because Haven was so
>> overrun. I went to kill critters for leather, wool and feathers and only
>> had 2k in my bank after an hour (spent some on skills).
>>
>> How do they make 100k in an hour???
>>

>The fast gold is in hides. You can pretty much one hit a cow and cut
>leather sells for ~20 gold per for spined anyway.

I don't think that will work on a new shard like Origin. The base
price for hides is only 3gp (or 6 for the cut hides) and nobody is
going to have the money to drive the prices up to 20 for a while yet.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 10:53:08 -0600, Ice <nobody@noplace.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 09:27:09 -0500, Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote:
>

>>I think what would really solve the problem would be just to give all
>>houses the same amount of storage regardless of their size. I think
>>that half the reason people go for the enormous 18x18 plots and turn
>>them into ugly concrete cubes is just for the extra storage. A serious
>>UO player usually can't get by with the item count a small house
>>provides.
>>
>The original argument against this idea was "item count" Each server
>can only handle a limited amount of items. The DEV team just keeps
>creating more items and things seem to still run, so I am not sure
>that is still a good argument. If they really wanted to limit items,
>more things would "stack". Potions in bottles, arcane gems, seeds
>from the same plant, BOD's that are identical, etc.

Yup, and item count really was a problem back in the old days. I don't
think it's really an issue anymore though or they would never have let
us keep as many vendors as we have now. Plus, backup times are still
quite reasonable.

>>Even better would be to give every account a certain amount of storage
>>that would be accessible via their bank box even if they didn't own a
>>house. If you had enough storage and if you could easily transfer
>>stuff between characters then owning a house wouldn't be such a life
>>or death issue.
>>
>There is a real reason for this one. Because people wanted to be able
>access their bank account from any bank in the land, you bank account
>is connected to your character. It travels every place your character
>goes. If you had a large item count crossing server lines and running
>across the country side, you would be too lagged to move.

Oh right, I knew that but forgot. :)

>The answer to this problem would be to have only Gold attached to your
>character, and you pick a town where your "bank box" can be accessed
>when you create your character. If you want to change towns, you
>would have to do it just like you do when you change houses. YOU pick
>up all your stuff and move it to another town bank, you could have
>maybe one week to get things moved and close the first box before it
>is all eliminated. This box could be accessed by all characters on
>the account, or "maybe" even any character with the password.
>
>The "personal" bank box that travels with the character would be
>limited to maybe 20 or so items. Gold and a few re-outfit armor
>and weapons for when your killed and lose everything.
>
>Something like this could even bring "dead towns" like Trinsic back to
>life. Everyone could not get a bank box in Britain, so towns like
>Trinsic, Minco and Vesper, would again become populated. Towns
>would again become a place to meet new people, not just a place to
>spam what you have to sell, or want to buy.
>
>I like the idea of having a common account bank box, and I do not
>mind being requires to pick a town to open my "Bank account".
>I would also love to see ALL the towns populated again with people
>using the bank, and chatting.
>
>I have known a lot of people that have said they would not have a
>house if they had a common bank box that all of their characters
>could use. If you have 5 characters, you get storage for 1125 items,
>if you have 6 characters, maybe you get a bonus storage of 200 items.
>(I say that because you had to pay extra for the 6th character slot).

Great ideas Ice. They'd revive dead towns and take all of the stress
out of the housing market. People that wanted houses could just choose
whatever size suits them based on the location rather than feeling
like they absolutely have to have the largest spot they can get just
to store their BOD collection. Plus, they'd make the game a lot more
newbie friendly.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 12:12:12 -0000, "Alergic Alchemist"
<allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Sarah" <nospam@spam.com> wrote in message
>>A player with 4 accounts creates 6 characters on each account. That is 24k
>>GP. More if most of the characters sell their equipment.
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, I made a character on Origin and went to Zento. ALL
>> the prime house sites around town were already taken.
>>
>> I won't be back to Origin any more.
>>
>> Sarah
>>
>I don't think I'll even bother going to look. Sounds terrible.
>
>I saw a very simple, yet brilliant, idea posted about a year ago, that never
>saw the light of day - simply, to have a very basic 'representation' of the
>outside of a house visible in 'the lands', yet have the 'real' house (a) on
>another server and (b) much bigger inside than outside - much like the
>dungeons are. Not that I want a dungeon sized house - I'd never find
>anything!
>It would solve a lot of the housing arguments, expand the amount of
>available housing drasticly, and even allow for things like (shudder)
>housing blocks. "I live in apartment 226b, Lord Blacktorn estates"... I
>think the original discussion suggested applying it to boats, to make house
>boats, but the same would be good for houses.
>The only people who would cry would be those who leave their houses private,
>but like decorating the outside.
>
>Still, not going to Origin any time soon.

I suggested something similar to Brian Martin (one of the early devs) back
in 1996. Have houses be underground. All you'd see on the surface were
some little doors. The actual houses would be on a separate server.

I also suggested that if they ought to have actual player voices instead
of text and every player use headsets with microphones, but perhaps that
would be too annoying especially if you wanted to play at night and not
wake up the SO or roommates.

--

Magik wrote:
> "Rick Cortese" <ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>>Magik wrote:
>>
>>>Do people make so much cash so fast?
>>>
>>>The Origin server is up for 4 hours and there is already gold for sale
>
> on
>
>>>eBay and houses for sale on Tradespot.
>>>
>>>I couldn't even finish the first leg of the Pally quest because Haven
>
> was so
>
>>>overrun. I went to kill critters for leather, wool and feathers and
>
> only
>
>>>had 2k in my bank after an hour (spent some on skills).
>>>
>>>How do they make 100k in an hour???
>>>

>>The fast gold is in hides. You can pretty much one hit a cow and cut
>>leather sells for ~20 gold per for spined anyway.
>>

> Hmmm......I was only getting 5gp per hide, even for the spined ones. Are
> the prices restricted for [young] characters? I know young's can only buy
> 20 regs at a time, no matter what the NPC has been farmed up to.

Prices are adjusted down depending on how many the vendors have bought.
It has to be cut leather vs. hides and sold to a tanner.

IMHO: If it was 5 gold/cut hide you have it cornered. If the vendors
were only paying 5 gold per, that probably means someone has sold
thousands to them.

> Magik wrote:
> > "Rick Cortese" <ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >

> Prices are adjusted down depending on how many the vendors have bought.
> It has to be cut leather vs. hides and sold to a tanner.
>
> IMHO: If it was 5 gold/cut hide you have it cornered. If the vendors
> were only paying 5 gold per, that probably means someone has sold
> thousands to them.

Yeah, cut hides. I was selling about 100 per trip as that was all I could
carry.

cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria) wrote:

>Could be cartographers...if that still works.

Not since the launch of AoS.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

archeon

> I also suggested that if they ought to have actual player voices instead
> of text and every player use headsets with microphones, but perhaps that
> would be too annoying especially if you wanted to play at night and not
> wake up the SO or roommates.

You'd never go to West Brit bank under those conditions!!

Archeon

Ice <nobody@noplace.com> wrote:

>The original argument against this idea was "item count" Each server
>can only handle a limited amount of items. The DEV team just keeps
>creating more items and things seem to still run, so I am not sure
>that is still a good argument.

You've got that a little twisted. The Dev team does keep adding more
items, but they don't keep adding storage. (The last boost was a
couple of years ago.) That implies that item count (on the server) is
still an issue.

D.