Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

I noticed the other day my Task Scheduler had stopped working. I have tried
everything suggested on this and other forums, but cannot get it to start
again. I get an error message "an error has occurred attempting to retrieve
account information" when setting up a new schedule.
If I go into Services and try to start scheduler there, I get "Could not
start task scheduler on local computer. Error 1717: The interface is unknown".
Coincidentally, I have just installed SP2, but that did not correct the
problem.
Thanks oin advance.

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Are you trying to schedule a task using the "Admininstrator" account? If
so, use another account with Administrator level rights.

Jon

"Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I noticed the other day my Task Scheduler had stopped working. I have
>tried
> everything suggested on this and other forums, but cannot get it to start
> again. I get an error message "an error has occurred attempting to
> retrieve
> account information" when setting up a new schedule.
> If I go into Services and try to start scheduler there, I get "Could not
> start task scheduler on local computer. Error 1717: The interface is
> unknown".
> Coincidentally, I have just installed SP2, but that did not correct the
> problem.
> Thanks oin advance.

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

Just tried another account - same problem !

Simon wrote:

> Just tried another account - same problem !

Do both accounts you've tried have passwords? Task Scheduler will not
work for accounts that do not have passwords.

Steve

> "Jon" wrote:
>

>>Are you trying to schedule a task using the "Admininstrator" account? If
>>so, use another account with Administrator level rights.
>>
>>Jon
>>

>>"Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>I noticed the other day my Task Scheduler had stopped working. I have
>>>tried
>>>everything suggested on this and other forums, but cannot get it to start
>>>again. I get an error message "an error has occurred attempting to
>>>retrieve
>>>account information" when setting up a new schedule.
>>>If I go into Services and try to start scheduler there, I get "Could not
>>>start task scheduler on local computer. Error 1717: The interface is
>>>unknown".
>>>Coincidentally, I have just installed SP2, but that did not correct the
>>>problem.
>>>Thanks oin advance.

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

They do have passwords - but it doesn't make any difference if I enter the
password or not.

"Steve N." wrote:

> Simon wrote:
>
> > Just tried another account - same problem !
>
> Do both accounts you've tried have passwords? Task Scheduler will not
> work for accounts that do not have passwords.
>
> Steve
>

> > "Jon" wrote:
> >

> >>Are you trying to schedule a task using the "Admininstrator" account? If
> >>so, use another account with Administrator level rights.
> >>
> >>Jon
> >>

> >>"Simon" <Simon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

In Services, are both Event Log and Remote Procedure Call
started and set to Automatic? Both of these serivices need to
be running in order to start the Task Scheduler service.

Nepatsfan

Simon wrote:
> They do have passwords - but it doesn't make any difference
> if I enter the password or not.
>
> "Steve N." wrote:
>
>> Simon wrote:
>>
>>> Just tried another account - same problem !
>>
>> Do both accounts you've tried have passwords? Task
>> Scheduler will not work for accounts that do not have
>> passwords.
>>
>> Steve

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

YES - it worked !

Event Log was turned off. Thanks very much - I'm surprised that's not
mentioned in any of the Microsoft bulletins on scheduler problems.

"Nepatsfan" wrote:

> In Services, are both Event Log and Remote Procedure Call
> started and set to Automatic? Both of these serivices need to
> be running in order to start the Task Scheduler service.
>
> Nepatsfan
>
> Simon wrote:
> > They do have passwords - but it doesn't make any difference
> > if I enter the password or not.

> >> Do both accounts you've tried have passwords? Task
> >> Scheduler will not work for accounts that do not have
> >> passwords.
> >>
> >> Steve

Glad to hear you've got that problem fixed. I stumbled across
that solution here:

Look for post from joel32137 toward the end of the thread,
http://tinyurl.com/blzb7

Nepatsfan

Simon wrote:
> YES - it worked !
>
> Event Log was turned off. Thanks very much - I'm surprised
> that's not mentioned in any of the Microsoft bulletins on
> scheduler problems.
>

> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>
>> In Services, are both Event Log and Remote Procedure Call
>> started and set to Automatic? Both of these serivices need
>> to be running in order to start the Task Scheduler service.
>>
>> Nepatsfan
>>
>> Simon wrote:
>>> They do have passwords - but it doesn't make any difference
>>> if I enter the password or not.

Jon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2003

Yes that is surprising

Not listed as a "depends on" service, either, when you click the
"Dependency" tab for the Task Scheduler service in
Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services