Gains in magic resistance

sarah

My main characters are advancing well, however they only have magic
resistance in the 50s. I got them that far by casting Clumsy on themselves
after casting Protection to lower the magic resistance base. This don't seem
to work any more now that they have advanced to the 50s.

How can I advance them further? The advance a little when going against
creatures that have magic but that is very slow and they get killed a lot.

I am still a newbie, I've only been playing since August, I have a lot to
learn about the game.

Sarah

Sarah wrote:
> My main characters are advancing well, however they only have magic
> resistance in the 50s. I got them that far by casting Clumsy on themselves
> after casting Protection to lower the magic resistance base. This don't seem
> to work any more now that they have advanced to the 50s.
>
> How can I advance them further? The advance a little when going against
> creatures that have magic but that is very slow and they get killed a lot.
>
> I am still a newbie, I've only been playing since August, I have a lot to
> learn about the game.

If liches are still a bit tough you may want to switch gazers in some
place like Covetous level I.

Gains are slow now in my experience. You may want to follow Cyrus's
advice and just let it come from adventuring. Four to five hours a night
fighting gazers, water elementals, that kind of thing.

On 01 Jan 2005 01:32:57 GMT, cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria)
wrote:

>Personally, i suggest using liches, relatively easy to kill, and you can get a
>free undead slaying sword from the Paladin newbie quest,

The undead slayer is not all it's cracked up to be. Too slow and the
liches hit fast and hard. Besides, they don't hit you with
"non-damaging spells" all that often, anyway. Personally I suggest
going to Felucca and having someone cast on you in the Serpent Hold
training tower.
--
"E Pluribus Unum Auarca"

- the inevitable consequence of owning a puppy.

archeon

"Sarah" <nospam@spam.com> wrote in message
> My main characters are advancing well, however they only have magic
> resistance in the 50s. I got them that far by casting Clumsy on themselves
> after casting Protection to lower the magic resistance base. This don't
> seem to work any more now that they have advanced to the 50s.
>
> How can I advance them further? The advance a little when going against
> creatures that have magic but that is very slow and they get killed a lot.
>
> I am still a newbie, I've only been playing since August, I have a lot to
> learn about the game.
>
> Sarah

At that level, I would think Shame level 2 might be your best bet...Air eles
and Water eles should give decent gains without causing too many deaths!

Archeon

sarah

I tried the gazers in Covetous, they gave me good gains on my Paladin. The
bad part is that I got careless and got killed. It was a long, long way to
the nearest healer. Now I'm sticking to Shame level 2 and the air/water
eles. They also give good gains in magic resistance.

OrionCA wrote:
> On 01 Jan 2005 01:32:57 GMT, cystocot4@cs.com (Cyrus of Sosaria)
> wrote:
>

>>Personally, i suggest using liches, relatively easy to kill, and you can get a
>>free undead slaying sword from the Paladin newbie quest,
>

> The undead slayer is not all it's cracked up to be. Too slow and the
> liches hit fast and hard. Besides, they don't hit you with
> "non-damaging spells" all that often, anyway. Personally I suggest
> going to Felucca and having someone cast on you in the Serpent Hold
> training tower.

If you want to get gains off of other players when you are 50+, you are
going to need that...other /players/. A group of 5 casters tends to get
gains going best. It can be hard to organize, though.

If you want to powergame resist, the two most common ways are air
elementals and imps. If you are a mage, you can go to Trammel and
summon two air elementals (or one air and one water). Get them to
attack you, and they will do no damage. Non-damaging spells still let
you gain resist, though. Recast as needed. It will take a decently
long day or two to go from 50-70 resist, at which point you should get
jewelry to take you to your resist cap. Here's a link to a post I made
on the trick, if you are interested:
http://boards.powergamers.net/viewthread.php?tid=15803

As for imps, they tend to be faster than water elementals. Find a
Semidar champ spawn near water, and place a boat. Lure a lot of imps
over, and just heal through their dumping. You are probably going to
want a healer or two.

--
Paul
Valid email address: pwlints(at)csupomona(dot)edu