Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003

Hello,

How do I stop an XP machine from prompting at bootup as to which operating
system wanted?

Thanks,
Brian

kelly

do you have more than one installed operating system?
perhaps backing up your data and formatting then clean installing the one
you want would be beneficial. make the most out of the space you have.

"Brian" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> How do I stop an XP machine from prompting at bootup as to which operating
> system wanted?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Malke

Kelly wrote:

> do you have more than one installed operating system?
> perhaps backing up your data and formatting then clean installing the
> one you want would be beneficial. make the most out of the space you
> have.

A reinstall is *not* necessary, at least not based on the very little
information the OP provided about his system. The boot.ini can be
corrected with the System Configuration Utility. Either the boot.ini
itself can be edited or the SCU can check the boot information and
correct it automatically.

To the OP: if you want more specific help, please post back to this
thread with detailed information about your system and what you what
the end result to be.

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

Run C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\msconfig.exe
Boot.ini tab has timeout box. I set mine to 3- u hardly
see it. Dont know if 0 is OK

HTH-Larry

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 13:34:55 -0500, "Brian"
<brian_wolters@yahoo.com> wrote:

|Hello,
|
|How do I stop an XP machine from prompting at bootup as to which operating
|system wanted?
|
|Thanks,
|Brian

Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.

Larry(LJL269) wrote:
> Run C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\msconfig.exe
> Boot.ini tab has timeout box. I set mine to 3- u hardly
> see it. Dont know if 0 is OK
>
> HTH-Larry
>
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 13:34:55 -0500, "Brian"
> <brian_wolters@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> |Hello,
> |
> |How do I stop an XP machine from prompting at bootup as to which operating
> |system wanted?
> |
> |Thanks,
> |Brian
> |

> Any advise is my attempt to contribute more than I have received but I can only assure you that it works on my PC. GOOD LUCK.
yes 0 works...

In news:99768BFF-CAC8-4C31-8D69-8E3F0B1BCB0F@microsoft.com,
Kelly <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> do you have more than one installed operating system?
> perhaps backing up your data and formatting then clean
> installing the
> one you want would be beneficial. make the most out of the
> space you
> have.

You've been asked more than once, but I'll add my voice to those
others who have asked.

You've come into a newsgroup where there already was someone
posting regularly using the name Kelly. It's true that there's no
rule against your doing so, and nobody can make you change, but
continuing to do so is rude and confusing to the rest of us here.

Please, change the name you post under. Call yourself "KellyM,"
"OhioKelly," or anything else you feel appropriate that doesn't
step on someone else's toes. But do *not* call yourself simply
"Kelly." It does nothing but confuse everyone else.

Please reply to the newsgroup

You did not mention if you have more than one OS on your System. Please post back with info On your OS which one and if it is a dual boot or not.
It is possible to edit the Boot.ini if you only have one OS installed.

So we need the info before the correct answer can be given

--
Peter

Ken Blake wrote:
> In news:99768BFF-CAC8-4C31-8D69-8E3F0B1BCB0F@microsoft.com,
> Kelly <Kelly@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
>> do you have more than one installed operating system?
>> perhaps backing up your data and formatting then clean
>> installing the
>> one you want would be beneficial. make the most out of the
>> space you
>> have.
>

> You've been asked more than once, but I'll add my voice to those
> others who have asked.
>
> You've come into a newsgroup where there already was someone
> posting regularly using the name Kelly. It's true that there's no
> rule against your doing so, and nobody can make you change, but
> continuing to do so is rude and confusing to the rest of us here.
>
> Please, change the name you post under. Call yourself "KellyM,"
> "OhioKelly," or anything else you feel appropriate that doesn't
> step on someone else's toes. But do *not* call yourself simply
> "Kelly." It does nothing but confuse everyone else.

Have you noticed that this "not the real" Kelly replies to a post and never
returns? I suspect he/she doesn't know how, or is too lazy to go back and
see if there are responses to his/her posts.