Logon too slow...

June 8, 2005 3:39:07 PM

I got problem to log onto my network with my windows XP perofessional (
spk2). every time i got to wait for about 2 or more minutes to get into the
PC. but when i tried other PCs and it worked fun without any problem. sounds
like only my pc got problem to logon so slow...
so could anyone give me any idea or info to fix this problem? Thanks.

Mike

More about : logon slow

Anonymous
June 8, 2005 3:43:48 PM

Make sure you're pointing only to your DC's IP address for DNS.

Matt Gibson - GSEC
Anonymous
June 8, 2005 5:09:01 PM

We use DHCP for PCs and i have no problem with other PCs with Windows XP. I
think must be some thing (config, XP setup or any...) on my PC. I can log
onto the PC but very slow...
Thanks.

"Matt Gibson" wrote:

> Make sure you're pointing only to your DC's IP address for DNS.
>
> Matt Gibson - GSEC

Related resources
June 8, 2005 7:43:03 PM

sit somewhere else :D
or
perhaps there is something in the startup on that computer, try
How to Perform Advanced Clean boot troubleshooting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316434

"mike_help" wrote:

> We use DHCP for PCs and i have no problem with other PCs with Windows XP. I
> think must be some thing (config, XP setup or any...) on my PC. I can log
> onto the PC but very slow...
> Thanks.
>
> "Matt Gibson" wrote:
>
> > Make sure you're pointing only to your DC's IP address for DNS.
> >
> > Matt Gibson - GSEC

June 8, 2005 8:51:31 PM

mike_help wrote:

> We use DHCP for PCs and i have no problem with other PCs with Windows
> XP. I think must be some thing (config, XP setup or any...) on my PC.
> I can log onto the PC but very slow...
> Thanks.
>
> "Matt Gibson" wrote:
>
>> Make sure you're pointing only to your DC's IP address for DNS.
>>
>> Matt Gibson - GSEC

As Mr. Gibson has suggested, slow logons to a domain controller by XP
workstations are almost always caused by incorrect DNS settings. Note
that I didn't say "DHCP".

Your server should look only to itself for DNS with forwarders set for
Internet access. Workstations should only look to the server for DNS.
Here is specific information from MVP Ron Lowe, including links, to
help you:

"XP differs from previous versions of windows in that it uses DNS as
it's primary name resolution method for finding domain controllers:

"If DNS is misconfigured, XP will spend a lot of time waiting for it to
timeout before it tries using legacy NT4 sytle NetBIOS. ( Which may or
may not work. )

1) Ensure that the XP clients are all configured to point to the local
DNS server which hosts the AD domain. That will probably be the Win2k
server itself. They should NOT be pointing to an ISP's DNS server. An
'ipconfig /all' on the XP box should reveal ONLY the domain's DNS
server. You should use the DHCP server to push out the local DNS server
address.

2) Ensure DNS server on Win2k is configured to permit dynamic updates.

3) Ensure the Win2k server points to itself as a DNS server.

4) For external ( internet ) name resolution, specify your ISP's DNS
server not on the clients, but in the 'forwarders' tab of the local
Win2k DNS server.

"On the DNS server, if you cannot access the 'Forwarders' and 'Root
Hints' tabs because they are greyed out, that is because there is a
root zone (".") present on the DNS server. You MUST delete this root
zone to permit the server to forward unresolved queries to yout ISP or
the root servers. Accept any nags etc, and let it delete any
corresponding reverse lookup zones if it asks."

How Domain Controllers Are Located in Windows XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314861
Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675
HOW TO: Configure DNS for Internet Access in Windows 2000 -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;300202
DNS and AD FAQs - http://support.microsoft.com/?id=291382

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers
www.elephantboycomputers.com

"mike_help" <mikehelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I got problem to log onto my network with my windows XP perofessional (
> spk2). every time i got to wait for about 2 or more minutes to get into
> the
> PC. but when i tried other PCs and it worked fun without any problem.
> sounds
> like only my pc got problem to logon so slow...
> so could anyone give me any idea or info to fix this problem? Thanks.
>
> Mike

Fix the addresses, don't use dynamic ones
!