Small, Inexpensive 2ch Amp?

Last response: in Home Audio
September 25, 2004 6:52:46 PM

I tried and was very disappointed with the Klipsch system I mentioned
earlier so I will shift my attempts. Given that I can get them at Best
Buy (and therefore return them if unsatisfactory), I want to try out the
Athena AS-B1 speakers. I have an old Technics amp at home that should be
sufficient to test them out but if I do want to use these speakers for
my dorm room, I will need a new amp.

So what is a good, small as possible, inexpensive 2channel amp? I'd like
a headphone jack as well as output for a powered subwoofer but neither
of these are necessary. I certainly don't need digital readouts, remote,
lots of inputs, etc. I plan on getting it used via Ebay. Price and good
match to the speakers are more important than size though.

Teac has exactly what I want:
http://www.teac.com/ConsumerAudio/ref/Consumer_Referenc...
However, it is expensive and hard to find used. :(

Thanks
Mike
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 6:50:38 PM

How do you define as "inexpensive"?

Also, you may want to consider PSB and/or Paradigm as well as the Athena
speaker you refer to - the proces are similar.

How much do you have budgeted, total?

On 9/25/04 10:52 AM, in article cj40nu036v@news1.newsguy.com, "Michael
Dombrowski" <legodudenein@hammycorp.com> wrote:

> I tried and was very disappointed with the Klipsch system I mentioned
> earlier so I will shift my attempts. Given that I can get them at Best
> Buy (and therefore return them if unsatisfactory), I want to try out the
> Athena AS-B1 speakers. I have an old Technics amp at home that should be
> sufficient to test them out but if I do want to use these speakers for
> my dorm room, I will need a new amp.
>
> So what is a good, small as possible, inexpensive 2channel amp? I'd like
> a headphone jack as well as output for a powered subwoofer but neither
> of these are necessary. I certainly don't need digital readouts, remote,
> lots of inputs, etc. I plan on getting it used via Ebay. Price and good
> match to the speakers are more important than size though.
>
> Teac has exactly what I want:
> http://www.teac.com/ConsumerAudio/ref/Consumer_Referenc...
> However, it is expensive and hard to find used. :(
>
> Thanks
> Mike
Anonymous
September 26, 2004 9:55:34 PM

"Michael Dombrowski" <legodudenein@hammycorp.com> wrote that he wanted a
smal inexpensive amp like the large expensive Teac amp he referenced

It's hard to give suggestions in response to such a request. Perhaps telling
what you consider "small" and "inexpensive" would help.

Wylie Williams
September 27, 2004 4:44:28 AM

Wylie Williams wrote:
> "Michael Dombrowski" <legodudenein@hammycorp.com> wrote that he wanted a
> smal inexpensive amp like the large expensive Teac amp he referenced
>
> It's hard to give suggestions in response to such a request. Perhaps telling
> what you consider "small" and "inexpensive" would help.
>
> Wylie Williams

To both replies:
I apologize that I was not clear enough in my first post. Small means
anything smaller than an average home theater amp. Something the size of
the Teac linked to below would be ideal. As small as possible really.
But size is not as important as price. I would really like to spend no
more than $50-75 for a used amp.

Teac:
http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=11529

Thanks
Mike
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 7:23:27 AM

"Michael Dombrowski" <legodudenein@hammycorp.com> wrote in message
> Wylie Williams wrote:
> > "Michael Dombrowski" <legodudenein@hammycorp.com> wrote that he wanted a
> > smal inexpensive amp like the large expensive Teac amp he referenced
> >
> > It's hard to give suggestions in response to such a request. Perhaps
telling
> > what you consider "small" and "inexpensive" would help.
> >
> > Wylie Williams
> >

> To both replies:
> I apologize that I was not clear enough in my first post. Small means
> anything smaller than an average home theater amp. Something the size of
> the Teac linked to below would be ideal. As small as possible really.
> But size is not as important as price. I would really like to spend no
> more than $50-75 for a used amp.

I'd suggest going on eBay and looking for an Onkyo 401 R1 amp (fairly rare),
or the equivalent receiver (plentiful). These are well designed and built
(circa late '80's/early '90's) and put out a fair amount of power into eight
and four ohms, have a "bypass" direct signal path, a phono stage, cd, vcr,
tuner, and two tape or processor loops, and pretty good sound. They are
dirt cheap (go for 45-85 dollars).
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 5:52:54 PM

B&D wrote:

> How do you define as "inexpensive"?
>
> Also, you may want to consider PSB and/or Paradigm as well as the Athena
> speaker you refer to - the proces are similar.
>
> How much do you have budgeted, total?
>
> On 9/25/04 10:52 AM, in article cj40nu036v@news1.newsguy.com, "Michael
> Dombrowski" <legodudenein@hammycorp.com> wrote:
>

>>I tried and was very disappointed with the Klipsch system I mentioned
>>earlier so I will shift my attempts. Given that I can get them at Best
>>Buy (and therefore return them if unsatisfactory), I want to try out the
>>Athena AS-B1 speakers. I have an old Technics amp at home that should be
>>sufficient to test them out but if I do want to use these speakers for
>>my dorm room, I will need a new amp.

No remote? No fancy features?

Time to go old-school. :)

Top Picks:
Yamaha CA-410 or 610 series I or II amplifier.

Pioneer SX series. Good, old-fashioned receiver. The glowing
manual tuning is superb for a dorm room, btw - classic looks and
you'll easily be able to drown out anything in the complex. (evil grin)

These can be had in mint condition for under $100. I have 3 Yamaha
CA-1000 amps driving my sound system. They are amazingly loud and
can drive most speakers effortlessly. The Yamaha CT series are the
tuners - among the best made at the time.

The Athena AS-B1 are good speakers, but seriously - get the bigger B2
or B3 if you can - the 3-way model is vastly superior to most
bookshelf models on the market of the size. It's the smallest 3-way
that I know of and sounds fantastic.

As for the sub, the Athenas integrate with the sub seamlessly, so no
sub input is required later on.
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 5:53:24 PM

Michael Dombrowski wrote:

> Wylie Williams wrote:
>
>> "Michael Dombrowski" <legodudenein@hammycorp.com> wrote that he wanted a
>> smal inexpensive amp like the large expensive Teac amp he referenced
>>
>> It's hard to give suggestions in response to such a request. Perhaps
>> telling
>> what you consider "small" and "inexpensive" would help.
>>
>> Wylie Williams
>>

> To both replies:
> I apologize that I was not clear enough in my first post. Small means
> anything smaller than an average home theater amp. Something the size of
> the Teac linked to below would be ideal. As small as possible really.
> But size is not as important as price. I would really like to spend no
> more than $50-75 for a used amp.
>

> Teac:
> http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=11529

This is the size of a normal stereo component. You'll not find
anything as good from the $40-$60 this is likely to sell for.
Early 80's amplifier inside, digital controls.
September 28, 2004 4:28:02 AM

>From: Joseph Oberlander josephoberlander@earthlink.net

>Pioneer SX series. Good, old-fashioned receiver. The glowing
>manual tuning is superb for a dorm room, btw - classic looks and
>you'll easily be able to drown out anything in the complex. (evil grin)
>

>These can be had in mint condition for under $100.

I bought a minty SX-727 this summer for $60 (plus $30-40 for shipping). It
sounds nice, I can run two or three pairs of speakers, and since I moved
somewhere that has a good radio station, now I get to listen to radio for the
first time in years.
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 4:46:21 AM

http://www.athenaspeakers.com/modelASB1.htm

http://www.athenaspeakers.com/modelASB2.htm

> or B3 if you can

Do you mean the S3 ?

http://www.athenaspeakers.com/modelS3.htm

In the athena page I din't find any mention of a B3.

--
http://www.mat.uc.pt/~rps/

..pt is Portugal| `Whom the gods love die young'-Menander (342-292 BC)
Europe | Villeneuve 50-82, Toivonen 56-86, Senna 60-94
Anonymous
September 28, 2004 8:00:17 AM

Michael Dombrowski <legodudenein@hammycorp.com> wrote in message news:<cj40nu036v@news1.newsguy.com>...
> I tried and was very disappointed with the Klipsch system I mentioned
> earlier so I will shift my attempts. Given that I can get them at Best
> Buy (and therefore return them if unsatisfactory), I want to try out the
> Athena AS-B1 speakers. I have an old Technics amp at home that should be
> sufficient to test them out but if I do want to use these speakers for
> my dorm room, I will need a new amp.
>
> So what is a good, small as possible, inexpensive 2channel amp? I'd like
> a headphone jack as well as output for a powered subwoofer but neither
> of these are necessary. I certainly don't need digital readouts, remote,
> lots of inputs, etc. I plan on getting it used via Ebay. Price and good
> match to the speakers are more important than size though.
>
> Teac has exactly what I want:
> http://www.teac.com/ConsumerAudio/ref/Consumer_Referenc...
> However, it is expensive and hard to find used. :(
>
> Thanks
> Mike

Could it just be a straight power amp? Check out www.wwandbw.com under
"live sound" and then sort power amplifiers by price. There are some
very attractively priced but moderately powered amplifiers with
seemingly decent specs. I was personally eyeing the ART SLA-1.
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 4:26:18 AM

You want an integrated amplifier? That is, one where the preamp and the
amplifier are in the same chassis? Volume and tone controls and such? If
so, Rotel makes a number of good ones. Go to e-bay and search for "Rotel
Receiver". If you want just a straight power amp the Adcom 535 is a very
good choice.but it's not as quite as cheap as you want.

-- Bob T.

Michael Dombrowski wrote:

> I tried and was very disappointed with the Klipsch system I mentioned
> earlier so I will shift my attempts. Given that I can get them at Best
> Buy (and therefore return them if unsatisfactory), I want to try out
> the Athena AS-B1 speakers. I have an old Technics amp at home that
> should be sufficient to test them out but if I do want to use these
> speakers for my dorm room, I will need a new amp.
>
> So what is a good, small as possible, inexpensive 2channel amp? I'd
> like a headphone jack as well as output for a powered subwoofer but
> neither of these are necessary. I certainly don't need digital
> readouts, remote, lots of inputs, etc. I plan on getting it used via
> Ebay. Price and good match to the speakers are more important than
> size though.
>
> Teac has exactly what I want:
> http://www.teac.com/ConsumerAudio/ref/Consumer_Referenc...
> However, it is expensive and hard to find used. :(
>
> Thanks
> Mike
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 4:03:10 AM

Michael Dombrowski wrote:

> I tried and was very disappointed with the Klipsch system I mentioned
> earlier so I will shift my attempts. Given that I can get them at Best
> Buy (and therefore return them if unsatisfactory), I want to try out the
> Athena AS-B1 speakers. I have an old Technics amp at home that should be
> sufficient to test them out but if I do want to use these speakers for
> my dorm room, I will need a new amp.
>
> So what is a good, small as possible, inexpensive 2channel amp? I'd like
> a headphone jack as well as output for a powered subwoofer but neither
> of these are necessary. I certainly don't need digital readouts, remote,
> lots of inputs, etc. I plan on getting it used via Ebay. Price and good
> match to the speakers are more important than size though.
>
> Teac has exactly what I want:
> http://www.teac.com/ConsumerAudio/ref/Consumer_Referenc...
> However, it is expensive and hard to find used. :(
>
> Thanks
> Mike
The problem may be your speakers. Going from one amp to another will
usually only introduce subtle differences in sound. The more dramatic
change will come from the speakers. Perhaps try moving the Klipschs
around in your listening area. If you get them to a point where they
sound pretty good, but not exactly quite right, then I'd start
investigating the replacement of the amplifier.

CD
!