Best set up for new Hard Drive

dtp

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2001
I have 2 harddrives installed on my system #1 is a Maxtor 40 gig 5400 RPM Ultra ATA/100 (running XP Pro) Ive had this drive for about 2 yrs and it runs fine. The 2nd (slave) is a new Maxtor 80 gig 7200 RPM Ultra ATA/133 with FDB motor.This one I put on strictly for storage, I recently got into edeting my home movies and burning to DVD I read up on this and and found that using a seperate harddrive for the storage of the video files was faster for the DVD burning (and also figured that I would need the xtra space for the video files)anyway my ? is beings that I am using the newer faster harddrive just for storage and the programs that I use to edit the video files and actually burn them with is installed on the older slower drive am I loosing speed and the not getting the full benifit from the newer drive? I know I could have transfered every thing over to the new drive and used the old one for storage but im not really familiar with the process and even if I did do this would I still get some kinda bottle neck with a faster drive reading the stored files from the slower drive, my next thought was installing XP pro on the new drive and just putting my video editing programs on it, but wasnt sure how my bootup would be. The system im doing this on is an AMD 1700 XP Tbred with 512 meg of ram. Thanks in advance for all the replys you guys ahve been great in the past.Any suggestions are welcome.

lunitic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
I would leave it as it is. If you would swap the drives your system would get a little faster but your video editing would get slower. You'd better use the space for editing.

pyrocutee

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2003
I would replace the maxtor 80 GB with a WD. I have built 3 computers in the last year. One has gone through 2 of the same 80 GB Maxtor drives, the other had a RAID 0 setup of two 80 GB drives...one died, had to replace both of them so they would match. I would Avoid the 80 GB Maxtors if I were you.

lunitic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
Sorry, I didn't read your post carefully enough. I wrote to keep it as it is, but I would rather suggest that you move your slave drive to the second IDE channel.

lunitic

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2003
I also had a Maxtor 80GB failing recently, but that doesn't mean that you have to avoid them. Any hdd can fail. Although I don't keep statistics on failure rates Maxtor drives are pretty reliable as far as I know (at least in my experience).

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
I've had 4 80GB Maxtors fail in the past 15 months...my current one's (I just keep getting replacements) head seems to have scratched out my second partition (<b>major</b> screech two days ago, constant clicking ever since)...now I have no access to it (BSOD and screech upon any attempt to access the partition) and have a horribly annoying clicking noise whenever it gets to the outside of this partition. I hope it lasts till Sunday...

So I guess I've had a 100% failure rate (even my old Quantum failed about two years back, but that doesn't count).

Damn Rambus.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Vapor on 12/10/03 10:52 AM.</EM></FONT></P>