DirectX 9.0c Problem

I am using Windows XP Pro with all upgrades available from the Microsoft
Windows Update. Recently, I installed the DirectX 9.0c and some issues
appeared:

While running games (Half-Life for example) my computer started doing one of
two things after having played for some time (for how long I can play before
this happens seems random):
My PC spontaneously restarts (I see a flash of a blue screen with white
text, but the computer restarts so fast it's impossible to read what it says).
Or it simply closes the game I was running and returns to the desktop (I
have experienced this with Internet Explorer as well...).

I am using a GeForce2 MX/MX 400, with the latest software update from nVIDIA
installed

What is the problem? What can I do? There is no way to uninstall DirectX,
and I have already tried reinstalling both DirectX and my video card driver
but it doesn't fix the problem.

Major thanks in advance
7 answers Last reply
More about directx problem

    Hi Kasper,

    Your system is indeed restarting as a result of a STOP error.

    To stop this behavior go to Control Panel / System / Advanced /
    Click the Startup and Recovery Settings button / Uncheck the box
    labeled "Automatically restart" under the System Failure section.

    To analyze the error, try the steps in: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

    If the error indicates a file name that begins with ati, or nv (nVidia)
    the most likely solution would be to *reinstall* the latest drivers using
    the instructions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "Kasper M." <Kasper M.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6FF3D08A-D574-4F34-8A08-C49E4F8A991C@microsoft.com...
    | I am using Windows XP Pro with all upgrades available from the Microsoft
    | Windows Update. Recently, I installed the DirectX 9.0c and some issues
    | appeared:
    |
    | While running games (Half-Life for example) my computer started doing one of
    | two things after having played for some time (for how long I can play before
    | this happens seems random):
    | My PC spontaneously restarts (I see a flash of a blue screen with white
    | text, but the computer restarts so fast it's impossible to read what it says).
    | Or it simply closes the game I was running and returns to the desktop (I
    | have experienced this with Internet Explorer as well...).
    |
    | I am using a GeForce2 MX/MX 400, with the latest software update from nVIDIA
    | installed
    |
    | What is the problem? What can I do? There is no way to uninstall DirectX,
    | and I have already tried reinstalling both DirectX and my video card driver
    | but it doesn't fix the problem.
    |
    | Major thanks in advance

    Thanks...

    Turning off the automatic restart enabled me to read the STOP-message, but I
    am still unable to discover or fix the problem. This is what the message said:

    Technical Information:

    *** Stop: 0x0000008E (0xBF801ECF, 0xF3160C44, 0x00000000)

    *** win32.sys address BF801ECF base at BF800000, datestamp 41107f7a

    Can this help discover the problem?

    Thanks a lot...

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Kasper,
    >
    > Your system is indeed restarting as a result of a STOP error.
    >
    > To stop this behavior go to Control Panel / System / Advanced /
    > Click the Startup and Recovery Settings button / Uncheck the box
    > labeled "Automatically restart" under the System Failure section.
    >
    > To analyze the error, try the steps in: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
    >
    > If the error indicates a file name that begins with ati, or nv (nVidia)
    > the most likely solution would be to *reinstall* the latest drivers using
    > the instructions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    >

    > "Kasper M." <Kasper M.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6FF3D08A-D574-4F34-8A08-C49E4F8A991C@microsoft.com...
    > | I am using Windows XP Pro with all upgrades available from the Microsoft
    > | Windows Update. Recently, I installed the DirectX 9.0c and some issues
    > | appeared:
    > |
    > | While running games (Half-Life for example) my computer started doing one of
    > | two things after having played for some time (for how long I can play before
    > | this happens seems random):
    > | My PC spontaneously restarts (I see a flash of a blue screen with white
    > | text, but the computer restarts so fast it's impossible to read what it says).
    > | Or it simply closes the game I was running and returns to the desktop (I
    > | have experienced this with Internet Explorer as well...).
    > |
    > | I am using a GeForce2 MX/MX 400, with the latest software update from nVIDIA
    > | installed
    > |
    > | What is the problem? What can I do? There is no way to uninstall DirectX,
    > | and I have already tried reinstalling both DirectX and my video card driver
    > | but it doesn't fix the problem.
    > |
    > | Major thanks in advance

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    This was followed shortly thereafter by another crash and the following
    message:
    The problem seems to be caused by the following file:
    win32k.sys
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    Technical information:
    *** Stop: 0x00000050 (0xE2357C74, 0x00000000, 0xBF8010FD, 0x00000000)

    *** win32k.sys - Address BF8010FD base this at BF800000, Datestamp 41107f7a

    And this time I wasn't even playing a game - merely using Internet Explorer,
    and having MSN Messenger open.

    Thanks for your assistance (If I am posting this in the wrong place please
    inform me...)
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Hi Kasper,

    There's some ideas posted in this thread, does anything look familiar?
    http://www.duxcw.com/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=8622;start=15

    --

    "Kasper M." <Kasper M.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:48082600-5981-4CA8-8481-29C8F5CFBAB4@microsoft.com...

    | Thanks...
    |
    | Turning off the automatic restart enabled me to read the STOP-message, but I
    | am still unable to discover or fix the problem. This is what the message said:
    |
    | Technical Information:
    |
    | *** Stop: 0x0000008E (0xBF801ECF, 0xF3160C44, 0x00000000)
    |
    | *** win32.sys address BF801ECF base at BF800000, datestamp 41107f7a
    |
    | Can this help discover the problem?
    |
    | Thanks a lot...
    |

    | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    |
    | > Hi Kasper,
    | >
    | > Your system is indeed restarting as a result of a STOP error.
    | >
    | > To stop this behavior go to Control Panel / System / Advanced /
    | > Click the Startup and Recovery Settings button / Uncheck the box
    | > labeled "Automatically restart" under the System Failure section.
    | >
    | > To analyze the error, try the steps in: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
    | >
    | > If the error indicates a file name that begins with ati, or nv (nVidia)
    | > the most likely solution would be to *reinstall* the latest drivers using
    | > the instructions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers
    | >
    | > --
    | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    | >

    | > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    | > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    | > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    | >

    | > "Kasper M." <Kasper M.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6FF3D08A-D574-4F34-8A08-C49E4F8A991C@microsoft.com...
    | > | I am using Windows XP Pro with all upgrades available from the Microsoft
    | > | Windows Update. Recently, I installed the DirectX 9.0c and some issues
    | > | appeared:
    | > |
    | > | While running games (Half-Life for example) my computer started doing one of
    | > | two things after having played for some time (for how long I can play before
    | > | this happens seems random):
    | > | My PC spontaneously restarts (I see a flash of a blue screen with white
    | > | text, but the computer restarts so fast it's impossible to read what it says).
    | > | Or it simply closes the game I was running and returns to the desktop (I
    | > | have experienced this with Internet Explorer as well...).
    | > |
    | > | I am using a GeForce2 MX/MX 400, with the latest software update from nVIDIA
    | > | installed
    | > |
    | > | What is the problem? What can I do? There is no way to uninstall DirectX,
    | > | and I have already tried reinstalling both DirectX and my video card driver
    | > | but it doesn't fix the problem.
    | > |
    | > | Major thanks in advance

  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Well, the errors seem familiar enough, but I am still unable to fix the
    problem. What should I try? And how do I disable BIOS shadowing if I am
    unable to find such an option in my BIOS Setup Menu?

    Thanks

    "Jimmy S." wrote:

    > Hi Kasper,
    >
    > There's some ideas posted in this thread, does anything look familiar?
    > http://www.duxcw.com/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=8622;start=15
    >
    > --
    > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >
    > "Kasper M." <Kasper M.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:48082600-5981-4CA8-8481-29C8F5CFBAB4@microsoft.com...
    > |
    > | Thanks...
    > |
    > | Turning off the automatic restart enabled me to read the STOP-message, but I
    > | am still unable to discover or fix the problem. This is what the message said:
    > |
    > | Technical Information:
    > |
    > | *** Stop: 0x0000008E (0xBF801ECF, 0xF3160C44, 0x00000000)
    > |
    > | *** win32.sys address BF801ECF base at BF800000, datestamp 41107f7a
    > |
    > | Can this help discover the problem?
    > |
    > | Thanks a lot...
    > |

    > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    > |
    > | > Hi Kasper,
    > | >
    > | > Your system is indeed restarting as a result of a STOP error.
    > | >
    > | > To stop this behavior go to Control Panel / System / Advanced /
    > | > Click the Startup and Recovery Settings button / Uncheck the box
    > | > labeled "Automatically restart" under the System Failure section.
    > | >
    > | > To analyze the error, try the steps in: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
    > | >
    > | > If the error indicates a file name that begins with ati, or nv (nVidia)
    > | > the most likely solution would be to *reinstall* the latest drivers using
    > | > the instructions at: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits/Video.html#drivers
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    > | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    > | >

    > | > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    > | > Visit my Zone.com / Gaming Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk or Call / Contact
    > | > MS Support at: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=sz;en-us;top
    > | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    > | > _________________________________________________________

    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |

  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Hi Kasper,

    Your motherboard manual should have that information, or you could
    call the computer's support tech if it's a brand name system. There are
    some suggestions on the KB link provided in the 2nd previous post if
    you search for 0x0000008E at: http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

    --

    "Kasper M." <KasperM@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A4C7143E-4207-4E1A-81D9-6BB90EA62CFF@microsoft.com...

    | Well, the errors seem familiar enough, but I am still unable to fix the
    | problem. What should I try? And how do I disable BIOS shadowing if I am
    | unable to find such an option in my BIOS Setup Menu?
    |
    | Thanks
    |

    | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    |
    | > Hi Kasper,
    | >
    | > There's some ideas posted in this thread, does anything look familiar?
    | > http://www.duxcw.com/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=8622;start=15
    | >
    | > --
    | > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    | > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    | >
    | > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    | > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    | > MS Assisted Support: http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    | > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
    | >
    | > "Kasper M." <Kasper M.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:48082600-5981-4CA8-8481-29C8F5CFBAB4@microsoft.com...
    | > |
    | > | Thanks...
    | > |
    | > | Turning off the automatic restart enabled me to read the STOP-message, but I
    | > | am still unable to discover or fix the problem. This is what the message said:
    | > |
    | > | Technical Information:
    | > |
    | > | *** Stop: 0x0000008E (0xBF801ECF, 0xF3160C44, 0x00000000)
    | > |
    | > | *** win32.sys address BF801ECF base at BF800000, datestamp 41107f7a
    | > |
    | > | Can this help discover the problem?
    | > |
    | > | Thanks a lot...
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Jimmy S." wrote:
    | > |
> [...]
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    try the good old format c:\

    ( www.develz.ro )

Games Directx Video Games