Printers on Network

There is a question on another server that I am not able to answer. Can someone give a bit of an input on the below please.

The person is using Windows XP Pro throughout the office and she is adding another XP Pro. That is all the info I have

Here is Joanne's post

"I have 2 "printing with a network" related questions. We have a bit of a
patch work networking mess at the moment and I'm trying to find band-aid
solutions until I have time to learn how to do some of this myself.

First, I'm trying to use the network wizard to add a computer to an existing
network so that the new computer can share the other computer's printer. I
already have 3 computers sharing this particular printer and want to add the
fourth. My problem is someone else set up the original network and I don't
know what she called it. How can I find out what the name of the network is?

Second, I've just gone wireless with my laptop and our whole office now
shares a the same 'extreme speed' connection. I noticed that I can now pick
up all of the printers in the office and print from any of them (without
doing any setting up) except for one - which is of course the one I was
hoping to use. Currently two computers share this printer - but they both
need to be "plugged in" via USB port to print. What would I need to do to
the computer that is connected to the printer in order to make the printer
appear on my wireless network and allow me to print."

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

Jo

--
Peter

More about printers network

    Peter Foldes wrote:

    > There is a question on another server that I am not able to answer.
    > Can someone give a bit of an input on the below please.
    >
    > The person is using Windows XP Pro throughout the office and she is
    > adding another XP Pro. That is all the info I have

    Hi, Peter. See my comments inline:

    > Here is Joanne's post
    >

    > "I have 2 "printing with a network" related questions. We have a bit
    > of a patch work networking mess at the moment and I'm trying to find
    > band-aid solutions until I have time to learn how to do some of this
    > myself.
    >
    > First, I'm trying to use the network wizard to add a computer to an
    > existing network so that the new computer can share the other
    > computer's printer. I already have 3 computers sharing this particular
    > printer and want to add the fourth. My problem is someone else set up
    > the original network and I don't know what she called it. How can I
    > find out what the name of the network is?

    Joanne doesn't tell us whether she has a domain or not, but I'm going to
    assume a Workgroup. In any case, if she looks at the System applet in
    Control Panel, on the Computer Name tab she will see the Workgroup or
    Domain name.

    > Second, I've just gone wireless with my laptop and our whole office
    > now shares a the same 'extreme speed' connection. I noticed that I can
    > now pick up all of the printers in the office and print from any of
    > them (without doing any setting up) except for one - which is of
    > course the one I was hoping to use. Currently two computers share this
    > printer - but they both need to be "plugged in" via USB port to print.
    > What would I need to do to the computer that is connected to the
    > printer in order to make the printer appear on my wireless network and
    > allow me to print."

    The above is a bit confusing to me. Only the computer with the printer
    physically attached to it will need to be on in order for its printer
    to be available on the network. That printer must be shared of course.
    She should check the Sharing tab on the printer to make sure. Without
    knowing whether she has a domain or Workgroup and more information
    about the users, XP versions, etc. - I can't be more accurate. If she
    just has a Workgroup for instance, then there is the whole issue of
    Simple Sharing vs. not Simple Sharing, adding the new user account and
    password to the computer hosting the printer, etc.

    Things we don't know about Joanne's network that would be helpful:

    1. If the network is a domain or Workgroup.
    2. If a Workgroup, how many computers are involved and whether the
    computers are running XP Pro or Home.
    3. The physical structure of the network.

    She may be running into a bandwidth problem because of the networking
    hardware or the incoming connections limitation of the operating
    systems. Here is a link and information about the latter:

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=314882 - Inbound connections limit in
    XP

    concurrent connections:

    10 for XP Pro/Tablet/MCE
    5 for XP Home
    49 for SBS 2000
    74 for SBS 2003
    Unlimited for full Server O/Ses

    4. If she has 10 computers in a Workgroup, it is time to look into a
    Server solution. She should also look into getting network printers
    because having 4 computers trying to print to one local printer is
    going to negatively impact the computer connected to that printer. If
    this is a small office, she can get a Dell 1700n laser printer for
    around $280USD. This isn't an ad for Dell - I'm just saying that a
    network-capable laser printer doesn't have to cost the earth. Or she
    could look into getting a networked print server if she doesn't want to
    buy new printers.

    HTH,

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Have had the same problem as I have two network printers hooked up to my
    network and they seem to want to drop out more frequently than desired.
    Interestingly one of the best utilities I have found to keep them alive is an
    application from **Apple** called Bonjour that you can get from the Apple.com
    website for free. As with all Apple products it is mindlessly simple and
    works exceptionally well even on my XP Pro network.

    "Peter Foldes" wrote:

    > There is a question on another server that I am not able to answer. Can someone give a bit of an input on the below please.
    >
    > The person is using Windows XP Pro throughout the office and she is adding another XP Pro. That is all the info I have
    >
    > Here is Joanne's post
    >

    > "I have 2 "printing with a network" related questions. We have a bit of a
    > patch work networking mess at the moment and I'm trying to find band-aid
    > solutions until I have time to learn how to do some of this myself.
    >
    > First, I'm trying to use the network wizard to add a computer to an existing
    > network so that the new computer can share the other computer's printer. I
    > already have 3 computers sharing this particular printer and want to add the
    > fourth. My problem is someone else set up the original network and I don't
    > know what she called it. How can I find out what the name of the network is?
    >
    > Second, I've just gone wireless with my laptop and our whole office now
    > shares a the same 'extreme speed' connection. I noticed that I can now pick
    > up all of the printers in the office and print from any of them (without
    > doing any setting up) except for one - which is of course the one I was
    > hoping to use. Currently two computers share this printer - but they both
    > need to be "plugged in" via USB port to print. What would I need to do to
    > the computer that is connected to the printer in order to make the printer
    > appear on my wireless network and allow me to print."
    >
    > Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
    >
    > Jo
    >
    > --
    > Peter

    Thanks a bunch Malke. Passed it on.

    --
    Peter

    "Malke" <invalid@not-real.com> wrote in message news:O%23NRg2HbFHA.3120@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl...
    > Peter Foldes wrote:
    >
    >> There is a question on another server that I am not able to answer.
    >> Can someone give a bit of an input on the below please.
    >>
    >> The person is using Windows XP Pro throughout the office and she is
    >> adding another XP Pro. That is all the info I have
    >>

    > Hi, Peter. See my comments inline:
    >
    >> Here is Joanne's post

Printers Windows XP