need help. reinstall xp

June 8, 2005 6:26:08 PM

I did this without planning....

I cleared my harddrive using some freeware from download.com. Now I want to
reinstall windows XP. I have the CD but when I insert into the drive, it
doesn't ask me to boot from the CD. I just get a message saying:

"Error loading operating system_"

I'm not sure where to go from here, please help me if you can =/

More about : reinstall

June 8, 2005 6:33:03 PM

The CD must be set as the first bootable device in your BIOS. Instructions
on doing that should be in the system or motherboard manual.

>I did this without planning....
>
> I cleared my harddrive using some freeware from download.com. Now I want
> reinstall windows XP. I have the CD but when I insert into the drive, it
> doesn't ask me to boot from the CD. I just get a message saying:
>
> "Error loading operating system_"
>
> I'm not sure where to go from here, please help me if you can =/

June 9, 2005 1:34:21 AM

David wrote:
> I did this without planning....
>
> I cleared my harddrive using some freeware from download.com. Now I want to
> reinstall windows XP. I have the CD but when I insert into the drive, it
> doesn't ask me to boot from the CD. I just get a message saying:
>
> "Error loading operating system_"
>
> I'm not sure where to go from here, please help me if you can =/

Your computer may not be set to boot from CD (which it needs to do)
You need to go into the BIOS, to do this, you usually hit F2 or DEL the
moment you switch on your PC.
June 9, 2005 2:34:41 AM

>I did this without planning....
>
> I cleared my harddrive using some freeware from download.com. Now I want
> reinstall windows XP. I have the CD but when I insert into the drive, it
> doesn't ask me to boot from the CD. I just get a message saying:
>
> "Error loading operating system_"
>
> I'm not sure where to go from here, please help me if you can =/

Is your CD set as bootable in the BIOS? Set it to look at the CD before the
hard drive.
June 9, 2005 2:34:42 AM

How do I get to the BIOS to change it? Pressing F2 or Del isn't working =/

By the way, I really appreciate everyone's time for helping me out with this
=D

"Alan Smith" wrote:

> "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I did this without planning....
> >
> > I cleared my harddrive using some freeware from download.com. Now I want
> > reinstall windows XP. I have the CD but when I insert into the drive, it
> > doesn't ask me to boot from the CD. I just get a message saying:
> >
> > "Error loading operating system_"
> >
> > I'm not sure where to go from here, please help me if you can =/
>
> Is your CD set as bootable in the BIOS? Set it to look at the CD before the
> hard drive.

June 9, 2005 2:34:43 AM

As soon as you turn on your computer, try pressing F2 or Del continuously,
don't hold it in, just keep tapping it. Normally you'll get to your bios, if
you don't, you'll need to get a hold of the manufacturer of your computer to
find out how to get in there. It may be that you're just missing it. Do you
see anything on the very first screen when you start that says press
something for setup? That would be it.
Good luck

"David" wrote:

> How do I get to the BIOS to change it? Pressing F2 or Del isn't working =/
>
> By the way, I really appreciate everyone's time for helping me out with this
> =D
>
> "Alan Smith" wrote:
>

> > "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I did this without planning....
> > >
> > > I cleared my harddrive using some freeware from download.com. Now I want
> > > reinstall windows XP. I have the CD but when I insert into the drive, it
> > > doesn't ask me to boot from the CD. I just get a message saying:
> > >
> > > "Error loading operating system_"
> > >
> > > I'm not sure where to go from here, please help me if you can =/
> >
> > Is your CD set as bootable in the BIOS? Set it to look at the CD before the
> > hard drive.

June 9, 2005 2:34:44 AM

You might try the Gateway web site, if you can. They have a lot of info on
the older systems and if you use the number on the back they may have all the
info on your specific machine. Your problem is not really too difficult if
you can get into the bios, just be careful to just set the boot sequence to
cd first.
--
The oldest Geek in the world!

"Kelly" wrote:

> As soon as you turn on your computer, try pressing F2 or Del continuously,
> don't hold it in, just keep tapping it. Normally you'll get to your bios, if
> you don't, you'll need to get a hold of the manufacturer of your computer to
> find out how to get in there. It may be that you're just missing it. Do you
> see anything on the very first screen when you start that says press
> something for setup? That would be it.
> Good luck
>

> "David" wrote:
>
> > How do I get to the BIOS to change it? Pressing F2 or Del isn't working =/
> >
> > By the way, I really appreciate everyone's time for helping me out with this
> > =D
> >
> > "Alan Smith" wrote:
> >

> > > "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > Is your CD set as bootable in the BIOS? Set it to look at the CD before the
> > > hard drive.

June 9, 2005 2:34:44 AM

I got annoyed that this wasn't working before. I turned off my computer, had
some lunch, and tried it again when I finished. I don't know why, but it
worked this time. Windows is installing as I am typing this. :p

Thanks everyone, for your help

"Kelly" wrote:

> As soon as you turn on your computer, try pressing F2 or Del continuously,
> don't hold it in, just keep tapping it. Normally you'll get to your bios, if
> you don't, you'll need to get a hold of the manufacturer of your computer to
> find out how to get in there. It may be that you're just missing it. Do you
> see anything on the very first screen when you start that says press
> something for setup? That would be it.
> Good luck
>

> "David" wrote:
>
> > How do I get to the BIOS to change it? Pressing F2 or Del isn't working =/
> >
> > By the way, I really appreciate everyone's time for helping me out with this
> > =D
> >
> > "Alan Smith" wrote:
> >

> > > "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> > > Is your CD set as bootable in the BIOS? Set it to look at the CD before the
> > > hard drive.

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 3:04:26 AM

> How do I get to the BIOS to change it? Pressing F2 or Del isn't working
> =/
>
> By the way, I really appreciate everyone's time for helping me out with
> this
> =D

Can you please follow a flow of conversation rather than jump top to bottom
to top please? It makes things easier to follow, and people will be more
inclined to read the thread if they don't have to jump around. And so you'll
be more likely to get help ............

You may need to contact your maker. Or read those booklets that come with
your computer (try the motherboard one). There are several possible ways to
enter the BIOS and it is dependant on your machine. Insert is another common
way, IBM's may need a floppy, etc. etc. ....... Giving the BIOS
make/motherboard may offer clues but there are several ways used, not just
the two you've mentioned, or the two I've added.
June 9, 2005 3:04:27 AM

Jumping around? Not following the flow of a conversation? I don't
understand. I real all the replies and posted a reply to them on the bottom
of the thread.

I'm sorry, I don't have any of the manuals or booklets that came with the
computer.

I guess the only clues I can throw are... It's a gateway computer and I
bought it in Sept. 2001. I might have to take it to a computer repair shop,
heh.

"Alan Smith" wrote:

> >> "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> >> Is your CD set as bootable in the BIOS? Set it to look at the CD before
> >> the
> >> hard drive.
> >>

> "David" <David@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > How do I get to the BIOS to change it? Pressing F2 or Del isn't working
> > =/
> >
> > By the way, I really appreciate everyone's time for helping me out with
> > this
> > =D
> >

> Can you please follow a flow of conversation rather than jump top to bottom
> to top please? It makes things easier to follow, and people will be more
> inclined to read the thread if they don't have to jump around. And so you'll
> be more likely to get help ............
>
> You may need to contact your maker. Or read those booklets that come with
> your computer (try the motherboard one). There are several possible ways to
> enter the BIOS and it is dependant on your machine. Insert is another common
> way, IBM's may need a floppy, etc. etc. ....... Giving the BIOS
> make/motherboard may offer clues but there are several ways used, not just
> the two you've mentioned, or the two I've added.

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 3:04:28 AM

| Jumping around? Not following the flow of a conversation? I don't
| understand. I real all the replies and posted a reply to them on the
bottom
| of the thread.
|
| I'm sorry, I don't have any of the manuals or booklets that came with
the
| computer.
|
| I guess the only clues I can throw are... It's a gateway computer and
| bought it in Sept. 2001. I might have to take it to a computer repair
shop,
| heh.

David, there are way to many variables pertaining to the reinstall of a
Operating
system when you have a proprietary system. (Gateway, Compaq, Hewlett
Packard,
Dell etc etc. This is the reason that Microsoft does not support OEM
versions of the
Windows OS. Usually these restore disks just have a boot sector and
point to a
partition on your HDD to restore. If you wiped your drive you are
probably SOL.

Good Luck
!