Connecting your PC to your HIFI audio home system

Last response: in Home Audio
September 30, 2004 4:27:50 AM

Is this possible? And if so, is it complicated?
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 7:25:34 AM

"Craig James" <PermissionToLand@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Is this possible? And if so, is it complicated?

Buy a cable with a two ring mini-plug on one end and two rca jacks on the
other. If need be, buy "joiners" that will let you link RCA cables together
long enough to run from the PC to your amplifier. Plug the mini-plug into
the speaker output jack on your PC. Plug the RCA's into a spare auxiliary
input on your amplifier.

Turn on the amp, turn to the correct auxiliary input, crack the volume
control, and use your music software to play what ever you have in / on your
PC. It's as simple as that.

Quality can be all over the place depending on the quality of the output,
the cables, and the media player/media played. But physically it's not that
hard.
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 7:30:39 AM

Craig James <PermissionToLand@webtv.net> wrote:
> Is this possible?

Certainly.

> And if so, is it complicated?

It can be. It can also be as simple as running a cable
from your computer to your receiver, and popping a
CD into your CD drive.

I'd need to know your current setup, and goals, to
give better info.

--
-S
Your a boring little troll. How does it feel? Go blow your bad breath elsewhere.

On 9/29/04 8:27 PM, in article cjfju6024ku@news1.newsguy.com, "Craig James"
<PermissionToLand@webtv.net> wrote:

> Is this possible? And if so, is it complicated?

Sure - easy - I am listening to tunes played on my iTunes through my stereo
- uncompressed audio, to boot.

As long as you have analog out from a soundcard or headphones it is possible
to do it.

If you can take the digital directly from the computer and put it through an
external D to A, even better.

Have fun!
Anonymous
October 1, 2004 3:44:21 AM

PermissionToLand@webtv.net (Craig James) wrote in

> Is this possible? And if so, is it complicated?

Yes, of course you can do it and it is very easy...

Just go to your local Bestbuy, CircuitCity, Futureshop, Compusa,... buy a
External USB Sound Blaster Live MP3 (about US$30.00), hook up one end with
your PC sound card, and another end to your Hi-Fi system, it even comes
with a optical output!

Hope that help.

Lawrence
October 1, 2004 4:06:44 AM

To echo the others: yes and no.
Try this if you have a LAN port near your stereo: www.rokulabs.com I use
the hd1000 with good results. Theonly thing it doesn't do really well is
movies; I'm still working on getting the audio to stay synced with the
video. This is a great solution if you have an HD set for displaying video
and still images. The music manager leaves a bit to be deisired. I have
not personally tried it, but I have heard that their soundbridge integrates
with iTunes and doesn't need a monitor to access music files. The HD1000
does digital and analog audio - DD and PCM.

"Craig James" <PermissionToLand@webtv.net> wrote in message
> Is this possible? And if so, is it complicated?
October 2, 2004 2:57:04 AM

Lawrence wrote:
> PermissionToLand@webtv.net (Craig James) wrote in
>

>>Is this possible? And if so, is it complicated?
>>

> Yes, of course you can do it and it is very easy...

You're making it much harder though...

> Just go to your local Bestbuy, CircuitCity, Futureshop, Compusa,... buy a
> External USB Sound Blaster Live MP3 (about US$30.00), hook up one end with
> your PC sound card, and another end to your Hi-Fi system, it even comes
> with a optical output!

Well, you're wrong a couple of times there. First, if you use an
external USB sound card, then you would connect that to the *USB* port
of your PC, not your soundcard. Second, if you have a PC sound card
already, why do you need an external USB soundcard?

> Hope that help.

Not really :( .

> Lawrence
Anonymous
October 2, 2004 7:19:07 AM

chung <chunglau@covad.net> wrote in news:cjknc0023q5@news1.newsguy.com:

> Lawrence wrote:
>> PermissionToLand@webtv.net (Craig James) wrote in
>> Just go to your local Bestbuy, CircuitCity, Futureshop, Compusa,...
>> buy a External USB Sound Blaster Live MP3 (about US$30.00), hook up
>> one end with your PC sound card, and another end to your Hi-Fi
>> system, it even comes with a optical output!
>
> Well, you're wrong a couple of times there. First, if you use an
> external USB sound card, then you would connect that to the *USB* port
> of your PC, not your soundcard. Second, if you have a PC sound card
> already, why do you need an external USB soundcard?

OK, that was a mistake, yes, the USB SB should be connected to a PC USB
port! Second, if your PC sound card doesn't has an optical output (which
happen to most of the PC sound card) and you want a digital output? Then
you will need that external USB soundcard.

>> Hope that help.
>
> Not really :( .

I wasn't intend to help you! Let Graig decide if that really help or not,
OK?

Lawrence
Anonymous
October 3, 2004 11:41:18 PM

Craig James wrote:
> Is this possible? And if so, is it complicated?

Here's what I got:

http://slimdevices.com/

I got the wireless one so there is no need to run a cable to the
receiver. It hooks up via ethernet and has a coax digital output as well
as rca analog outputs.

It comes with a remote control so I don't even need to touch the
computer to listen to my music on my receiver. All the music is kept on
my hard drive.

If you have a laptop with a wireless router, this is perfect.

--
Average Joe
Anonymous

On 3 Oct 2004 19:41:18 GMT, in article <cjpkku013mo@news2.newsguy.com>, Average
Joe stated:

>Craig James wrote:
>> Is this possible? And if so, is it complicated?
>
>Here's what I got:
>
>http://slimdevices.com/
>
>I got the wireless one so there is no need to run a cable to the
>receiver. It hooks up via ethernet and has a coax digital output as well
>as rca analog outputs.
>
>It comes with a remote control so I don't even need to touch the
>computer to listen to my music on my receiver. All the music is kept on
>my hard drive.
>
>If you have a laptop with a wireless router, this is perfect.
>
>--
>Average Joe

That's definitely the way to go. If you have a Mac with iTunes, you need to get
their latest solution along these lines (Airport Express, I think it is called).
Then you have a wireless digital connection from your Mac to your preamp, so you
in essence can have a humongous digital music jukebox for just the cost of the
connector.

Another solution is to use the iPod. I do this frequently and its very good,
even in compressed AAC at 192 kbps (I also used uncompressed audio for certain
things I might want to listen to very critically). If you're willing to listen
to AAC/MP3 sound, which I think is fine at 192 or above, you will in essence
have a digital jukebox with a whopping 19 continuous days of music on it.

My iPod sounds just great through my VAC Phi amps! Who woulda thought?
March 27, 2009 9:14:45 AM

Quote:

On 3 Oct 2004 19:41:18 GMT, in article <cjpkku013mo@news2.newsguy.com>, Average
Joe stated:

>Craig James wrote:
>> Is this possible? And if so, is it complicated?
>
>Here's what I got:
>
>http://slimdevices.com/
>
>I got the wireless one so there is no need to run a cable to the
>receiver. It hooks up via ethernet and has a coax digital output as well
>as rca analog outputs.
>
>It comes with a remote control so I don't even need to touch the
>computer to listen to my music on my receiver. All the music is kept on
>my hard drive.
>
>If you have a laptop with a wireless router, this is perfect.
>
>--
>Average Joe

That's definitely the way to go. If you have a Mac with iTunes, you need to get
their latest solution along these lines (Airport Express, I think it is called).
Then you have a wireless digital connection from your Mac to your preamp, so you
in essence can have a humongous digital music jukebox for just the cost of the
connector.

Another solution is to use the iPod. I do this frequently and its very good,
even in compressed AAC at 192 kbps (I also used uncompressed audio for certain
things I might want to listen to very critically). If you're willing to listen
to AAC/MP3 sound, which I think is fine at 192 or above, you will in essence
have a digital jukebox with a whopping 19 continuous days of music on it.

My iPod sounds just great through my VAC Phi amps! Who woulda thought?

Need Help- Any suggestions for external sound card interface to connect from laptop (win xp) to stereo (2ch/RCA analog) amp.I plan to use this to play music only (mp3,wma)from laptop/notebook. Entry level soundcards (< USD100)should be Ok .
!