Upgrade to XP with XP OEM Disk

I am upgrading to a new computer that comes with an XP OEM. Since I have a
lot of software that has been upgraded thru downloads, I'd like to clone the
disk from my old system to my new system disk, then upgrade to XP on the new
system. Is there any way to do that?

In news:CA14FA7B-208A-4DF1-BA32-A37B8F1205D8@microsoft.com,
Jim K. <Jim K.@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I am upgrading to a new computer that comes with an XP OEM.
> Since I
> have a lot of software that has been upgraded thru downloads,
> I'd
> like to clone the disk from my old system to my new system
> disk, then
> upgrade to XP on the new system. Is there any way to do that?

Sorry, no. One of the disadvantages of an OEM version of Windows
is that it can *not* do an upgrade.

You'll have to start with a clean XP installation and reinstall
all your software. Your only alternative is to buy an upgrade
version of XP and use it instead of the supplied OEM one.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Not really since an OEM version of Windows XP cannot
upgrade over any existing Windows operating system.
You'll need to reinstall your old programs using the
original installation media.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Jim K. wrote:
> I am upgrading to a new computer that comes with an XP OEM. Since I
> have a lot of software that has been upgraded thru downloads, I'd
> like to clone the disk from my old system to my new system disk, then
> upgrade to XP on the new system. Is there any way to do that?

OEM disks cannot do upgrades.

--
Peace!
Kurt

As others have stated, you can't do that, but the File and Settings Transfer Wizard can make the transition a little less painful for you.

--

Bill James
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Windows VBScript Utilities » www.billsway.com/vbspage/
Windows Tweaks & Tips » www.billsway.com/notes_public/

"Jim K." <Jim K.@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CA14FA7B-208A-4DF1-BA32-A37B8F1205D8@microsoft.com...
>I am upgrading to a new computer that comes with an XP OEM. Since I have a
> lot of software that has been upgraded thru downloads, I'd like to clone the
> disk from my old system to my new system disk, then upgrade to XP on the new
> system. Is there any way to do that?

No, you can't.

An alternative is to image your old OS installation, without drivers
(assuming its windows). Restore the image, and install the new drivers on
the new PC. This is assuming the old PC's OS installation CD did not have a
PC specific, or bios specific requirement. And, the OS installation was not
sourced by a hidden partition on the old PC. OEM (buy with hardware) or
retail CD in that case would work.

After completion of above, the partition would have to be hidden. Then
install XP in the remaining free space on the hard drive on the new PC. A
boot manager would be required. Some recommend XOSL, or terabyte unlimited.
I use System Commander. www.vcom.com

If XP is already installed on the new PC, you can still use the above
method. You still need hard drive free space, and the ability to hide the
current XP installation partition