Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Bah! Cowardly generals...

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 5:41:29 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

Okay I found the spawn area of the current attack. I won't call it an
invasion since they aren't invading any city. It is just a heavy spawn
out in the forest by the Serpent Spine mountains. It's all very easy
spawn actually. Unless you get lagged or stuck in the vegetation it's a
simple matter to keep from being killed. The sheer amount of lizardmen
and earth eles is a bit annoying but they're easy enough to kill.

The really annoying thing that has happened twice to me now is that the
generals just *poof* out of existence or de-spawn right when you're
fighting them. Something flakey with the new spawner maybe?

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

More about : bah cowardly generals

January 26, 2005 6:20:26 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:0tvfv01ha8e75cce32892djmbdsucc5n2s@4ax.com...
> The really annoying thing that has happened twice to me now is that the
> generals just *poof* out of existence or de-spawn right when you're
> fighting them. Something flakey with the new spawner maybe?
>
Were you fighting the generals away from their original spawning point?
Supposedly they will *POOF* back to the starting point if you lead them too
far away.
Anonymous
January 26, 2005 8:23:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 15:20:26 -0800, "Magik" <magik87@putercom.org> wrote:

>"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
>news:0tvfv01ha8e75cce32892djmbdsucc5n2s@4ax.com...
>> The really annoying thing that has happened twice to me now is that the
>> generals just *poof* out of existence or de-spawn right when you're
>> fighting them. Something flakey with the new spawner maybe?
>>
>Were you fighting the generals away from their original spawning point?
>Supposedly they will *POOF* back to the starting point if you lead them too
>far away.

They're cheaters. I'm calling a GM.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 4:03:34 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
>Okay I found the spawn area of the current attack. I won't call it an
>invasion since they aren't invading any city. It is just a heavy spawn
>out in the forest by the Serpent Spine mountains.

The spawn starts by the mountains, and slowly moves toward Brit. If
you don't defeat the northern spawns, each subsequent spawn moves
closer to the city. Defeat a close spawn, and it moves back to the
north.

(Thus on many shards (reportedly) Fel Brit is already overrun.)

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

-Resolved: To be more temperate in my postings.
Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 4:03:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:03:34 GMT, fairwater@gmail.com (Derek Lyons) wrote:

>Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
>>Okay I found the spawn area of the current attack. I won't call it an
>>invasion since they aren't invading any city. It is just a heavy spawn
>>out in the forest by the Serpent Spine mountains.
>
>The spawn starts by the mountains, and slowly moves toward Brit. If
>you don't defeat the northern spawns, each subsequent spawn moves
>closer to the city. Defeat a close spawn, and it moves back to the
>north.
>
>(Thus on many shards (reportedly) Fel Brit is already overrun.)
>
>D.

Well, wake me when the spawn reaches the city. Much nicer fighting in
clean streets than in the clutter of the forest.

So does anyone know the purpose of the kindergarten-art style blockages in
the Serpent Spine passage? I thought maybe the spawn would emanate from
Despise and they'd use those structures as fortifications but they seem to
be ignored entirely. (Let me guess right now that regardless of how the
"invasion" turns out that they will be left behind because no one at OSI
ever cleans up their events.)

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
January 27, 2005 4:03:36 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:c3hgv0lk49aiolosvd0qs0k2bef0vctijk@4ax.com...
> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:03:34 GMT, fairwater@gmail.com (Derek Lyons) wrote:
>>
> So does anyone know the purpose of the kindergarten-art style blockages in
> the Serpent Spine passage? I thought maybe the spawn would emanate from
> Despise and they'd use those structures as fortifications but they seem to
> be ignored entirely. (Let me guess right now that regardless of how the
> "invasion" turns out that they will be left behind because no one at OSI
> ever cleans up their events.)

Those are the fortifications created to "slow down" the invaders. At least
that's what they told all of us miners and lumberjacks a while back to get
us to work our butts off to collect logs and ore. There's one built in each
of the three passages of the mountains around Britain. I don't know if
there were any shards that didn't get the necessary supplies collected to
build them, but it would be interesting to know if there is any difference
in the invasion because of it.
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 5:08:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 18:08:27 -0800, "Magik" <magik87@putercom.org> wrote:

>"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
>news:c3hgv0lk49aiolosvd0qs0k2bef0vctijk@4ax.com...
>> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 01:03:34 GMT, fairwater@gmail.com (Derek Lyons) wrote:
>>>
>> So does anyone know the purpose of the kindergarten-art style blockages in
>> the Serpent Spine passage? I thought maybe the spawn would emanate from
>> Despise and they'd use those structures as fortifications but they seem to
>> be ignored entirely. (Let me guess right now that regardless of how the
>> "invasion" turns out that they will be left behind because no one at OSI
>> ever cleans up their events.)
>
>Those are the fortifications created to "slow down" the invaders. At least
>that's what they told all of us miners and lumberjacks a while back to get

Who told you that? My miner never heard a peep. I really hate when
events take place half on the web instead of inside the game. Has any
heard a peep out of town criers lately (or within the last 5 years for
that matter?)

>us to work our butts off to collect logs and ore. There's one built in each
>of the three passages of the mountains around Britain. I don't know if
>there were any shards that didn't get the necessary supplies collected to
>build them, but it would be interesting to know if there is any difference
>in the invasion because of it.

Why should it? The only bits of "invasion" I've seen have started inside
those fortifications. I would be cool if the monsters were spawning
further away and laying siege to those fortifications but like most OSI
events, this one seems rather derailed from the get go.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 11:16:40 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>>Those are the fortifications created to "slow down" the invaders. At least
>>that's what they told all of us miners and lumberjacks a while back to get
>
>Who told you that? My miner never heard a peep. I really hate when
>events take place half on the web instead of inside the game. Has any
>heard a peep out of town criers lately (or within the last 5 years for
>that matter?)

It was an EM event, and occurred completely ingame. (The haphazard
notification system for EM events is another rant entirely.)

>>us to work our butts off to collect logs and ore. There's one built in each
>>of the three passages of the mountains around Britain. I don't know if
>>there were any shards that didn't get the necessary supplies collected to
>>build them, but it would be interesting to know if there is any difference
>>in the invasion because of it.
>
>Why should it? The only bits of "invasion" I've seen have started inside
>those fortifications. I would be cool if the monsters were spawning
>further away and laying siege to those fortifications but like most OSI
>events, this one seems rather derailed from the get go.

The earlier portion of the invasion (the EM portion) did originate and
lay siege to those fortifications. However, it was a foregone
conclusion that the players would lose.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

-Resolved: To be more temperate in my postings.
Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 11:17:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>>(Thus on many shards (reportedly) Fel Brit is already overrun.)
>>
>>D.
>
>Well, wake me when the spawn reaches the city. Much nicer fighting in
>clean streets than in the clutter of the forest.

As I said, try Fel Brit.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

-Resolved: To be more temperate in my postings.
Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Anonymous
January 27, 2005 11:17:02 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:17:01 GMT, fairwater@gmail.com (Derek Lyons) wrote:

>Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>>(Thus on many shards (reportedly) Fel Brit is already overrun.)
>>>
>>>D.
>>
>>Well, wake me when the spawn reaches the city. Much nicer fighting in
>>clean streets than in the clutter of the forest.
>
>As I said, try Fel Brit.

No, I refuse to ever go to Felucca again. No amount of carrot on a stick
will turn me into PK fodder.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:46:25 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

Michael Cecil wrote:
> Okay I found the spawn area of the current attack. I won't call it an
> invasion since they aren't invading any city. It is just a heavy spawn
> out in the forest by the Serpent Spine mountains. It's all very easy
> spawn actually. Unless you get lagged or stuck in the vegetation it's a
> simple matter to keep from being killed. The sheer amount of lizardmen
> and earth eles is a bit annoying but they're easy enough to kill.
>
> The really annoying thing that has happened twice to me now is that the
> generals just *poof* out of existence or de-spawn right when you're
> fighting them. Something flakey with the new spawner maybe?
>


I couldn't find any. I found two spawn areas, one the was barely
outside the guard area on the road to the Brit cemetary. All I ever
saw was lizards with a non-standard lable.

--
3) If it were My Mustang, I would have yanked
the stupid xxxxx out of her beater and beat in
her doors with her face. - SVTKate
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:46:26 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

WindsorFox[SS] wrote:
> Michael Cecil wrote:
>
>> Okay I found the spawn area of the current attack. I won't call it an
>> invasion since they aren't invading any city. It is just a heavy spawn
>> out in the forest by the Serpent Spine mountains. It's all very easy
>> spawn actually. Unless you get lagged or stuck in the vegetation it's a
>> simple matter to keep from being killed. The sheer amount of lizardmen
>> and earth eles is a bit annoying but they're easy enough to kill.
>>
>> The really annoying thing that has happened twice to me now is that the
>> generals just *poof* out of existence or de-spawn right when you're
>> fighting them. Something flakey with the new spawner maybe?
>>
>
>
> I couldn't find any. I found two spawn areas, one the was barely
> outside the guard area on the road to the Brit cemetary. All I ever saw
> was lizards with a non-standard lable.
>

On Sonoma - if you head North to the pass that takes you to Despise,
there are three distinct spawns (provided you bear west). All are very
nasty!

douglas
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:48:32 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

Michael Cecil wrote:

>
> Who told you that? My miner never heard a peep. I really hate when
> events take place half on the web instead of inside the game. Has any
> heard a peep out of town criers lately (or within the last 5 years for
> that matter?)
>

Yes. "I have no news at this time."

--
3) If it were My Mustang, I would have yanked
the stupid xxxxx out of her beater and beat in
her doors with her face. - SVTKate
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:49:35 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

Michael Cecil wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:17:01 GMT, fairwater@gmail.com (Derek Lyons) wrote:
>
>
>>Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>
>>>>(Thus on many shards (reportedly) Fel Brit is already overrun.)
>>>>
>>>>D.
>>>
>>>Well, wake me when the spawn reaches the city. Much nicer fighting in
>>>clean streets than in the clutter of the forest.
>>
>>As I said, try Fel Brit.
>
>
> No, I refuse to ever go to Felucca again. No amount of carrot on a stick
> will turn me into PK fodder.
>

What about ribeye on a stick?? Mmmmmmm.... steaaaaak.

--
3) If it were My Mustang, I would have yanked
the stupid xxxxx out of her beater and beat in
her doors with her face. - SVTKate
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 4:01:28 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:17:01 GMT, fairwater@gmail.com (Derek Lyons) wrote:
>
>>Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>>(Thus on many shards (reportedly) Fel Brit is already overrun.)
>>>>
>>>>D.
>>>
>>>Well, wake me when the spawn reaches the city. Much nicer fighting in
>>>clean streets than in the clutter of the forest.
>>
>>As I said, try Fel Brit.
>
>No, I refuse to ever go to Felucca again. No amount of carrot on a stick
>will turn me into PK fodder.

Inside the guard zone, AIUI, you are not PK fodder.

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

-Resolved: To be more temperate in my postings.
Oct 5th, 2004 JDL
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 4:01:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

Derek Lyons wrote:
> Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>
>>On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:17:01 GMT, fairwater@gmail.com (Derek Lyons) wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>
>>>
>>>>>(Thus on many shards (reportedly) Fel Brit is already overrun.)
>>>>>
>>>>>D.
>>>>
>>>>Well, wake me when the spawn reaches the city. Much nicer fighting in
>>>>clean streets than in the clutter of the forest.
>>>
>>>As I said, try Fel Brit.
>>
>>No, I refuse to ever go to Felucca again. No amount of carrot on a stick
>>will turn me into PK fodder.
>
>
> Inside the guard zone, AIUI, you are not PK fodder.
>
> D.

No - you are thief bait.

douglas
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:24:41 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

Michael Cecil wrote:
> Okay I found the spawn area of the current attack. I won't call it an
> invasion since they aren't invading any city. Well, on Drchanfels trammel, they are getting closer now. At the moment
the graveyard is invaded. They will soon be in the city

/ZW
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 12:26:39 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

ZoombyWoof wrote:
> Michael Cecil wrote:
>
>> Okay I found the spawn area of the current attack. I won't call it an
>> invasion since they aren't invading any city. Well, on Drchanfels
>> trammel, they are getting closer now. At the moment
>
> the graveyard is invaded. They will soon be in the city
>
> /ZW
>
>
>
Correction. They are in the city now. Just got killed in town...

/ZW
Anonymous
January 28, 2005 2:30:09 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

"Derek Lyons" <fairwater@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:41f98ed0.4992393@supernews.seanet.com...
> Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 20:17:01 GMT, fairwater@gmail.com (Derek Lyons)
wrote:
> >
> >>Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
> >>
> >>>>(Thus on many shards (reportedly) Fel Brit is already overrun.)
> >>>>
> >>>>D.
> >>>
> >>>Well, wake me when the spawn reaches the city. Much nicer fighting in
> >>>clean streets than in the clutter of the forest.
> >>
> >>As I said, try Fel Brit.
> >
> >No, I refuse to ever go to Felucca again. No amount of carrot on a stick
> >will turn me into PK fodder.
>
> Inside the guard zone, AIUI, you are not PK fodder.
>
> D.

No, in Felucca you are monster bait with the insane spawn rate. I did go to
Felucca to help out and got surrounded by monsters and killed. Although I
was at full stamina I would just rubber-band a half screen when I tried to
push through to get some maneuvering room. I was locked in place until I
finally died. I had noticed earlier that I was sometimes rubber-banding
when trying to move over a monster's corpse. I don't know if that was what
trapped me or not, but I do know that I'm not going back.
January 28, 2005 7:28:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

"Derek Lyons" <fairwater@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:41f98ed0.4992393@supernews.seanet.com...
> Michael Cecil <macecil@comcast.net> wrote:
> >
> >No, I refuse to ever go to Felucca again. No amount of carrot on a stick
> >will turn me into PK fodder.
>
> Inside the guard zone, AIUI, you are not PK fodder.

Yeah, well that all depends on how quick you are with your GUARDS macro.
You can still get murdered in a guard zone if they can do enough damage in
the first hit.
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:04:42 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

Douglas Glatz wrote:

>> I couldn't find any. I found two spawn areas, one the was barely
>> outside the guard area on the road to the Brit cemetary. All I ever
>> saw was lizards with a non-standard lable.
>>
>
> On Sonoma - if you head North to the pass that takes you to Despise,
> there are three distinct spawns (provided you bear west). All are very
> nasty!
>
> douglas

Michael and I are both on Atlantic.

--
3) If it were My Mustang, I would have yanked
the stupid xxxxx out of her beater and beat in
her doors with her face. - SVTKate
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:05:28 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

ZoombyWoof wrote:

> ZoombyWoof wrote:
>
>> Michael Cecil wrote:
>>
>>> Okay I found the spawn area of the current attack. I won't call it an
>>> invasion since they aren't invading any city. Well, on Drchanfels
>>> trammel, they are getting closer now. At the moment
>>
>>
>> the graveyard is invaded. They will soon be in the city
>>
>> /ZW
>>
>>
>>
> Correction. They are in the city now. Just got killed in town...
>
> /ZW


Where are you? You must be in Felucca.

--
3) If it were My Mustang, I would have yanked
the stupid xxxxx out of her beater and beat in
her doors with her face. - SVTKate
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 7:43:16 AM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 04:04:42 -0600, "WindsorFox[SS]"
<windsorfoxNO@SPAMcox.net> wrote:

>Douglas Glatz wrote:
>
>>> I couldn't find any. I found two spawn areas, one the was barely
>>> outside the guard area on the road to the Brit cemetary. All I ever
>>> saw was lizards with a non-standard lable.
>>>
>>
>> On Sonoma - if you head North to the pass that takes you to Despise,
>> there are three distinct spawns (provided you bear west). All are very
>> nasty!
>>
>> douglas
>
> Michael and I are both on Atlantic.

There was just a little spawn when I played today. Only one general at a
time. I was able to finally kill a Titan general but the Ogre Lord
general killed me. Didn't loot my corpse though. I noticed they were
saying some odd things, "Return with their heads or dont return at all!"
I was too busy to pay much attention though.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
January 29, 2005 2:50:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.games.computer.ultima.online (More info?)

WindsorFox[SS] wrote:
> ZoombyWoof wrote:
>
>> ZoombyWoof wrote:
>>
>>> Michael Cecil wrote:
>>>
>>>> Okay I found the spawn area of the current attack. I won't call it an
>>>> invasion since they aren't invading any city. Well, on Drchanfels
>>>> trammel, they are getting closer now. At the moment
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> the graveyard is invaded. They will soon be in the city
>>>
>>> /ZW
>>>
>>>
>>>
>> Correction. They are in the city now. Just got killed in town...
>>
>> /ZW
>
>
>
> Where are you? You must be in Felucca.
>
Nono, Trammel.
!