Active X Adobe Acrobat Control Problems - HELP

deb

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2003

I am totally lost. When visiting certain sites I get locked up then a box
appears
that says it has encounter a problem.

File. pdf.pcx
Adobe Systems Inc

Adobe Acrobat Control for Active X
-- Can someone help me in real easy language to understand? I do not
totally get some of this stuff. I have gone to Tools - Manage Add Ons and
taken off what I thought was the problem.... to only not be able to open
something at all.....
Deb

Deb, if you have Adobe Acrobat installed go to Control Panel>Add>Remove
Programs and uninstall it.
Restart and then go to www.adobe.com and download and install the
latest version.
"Deb" <Deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I am totally lost. When visiting certain sites I get locked up then a box
> appears
> that says it has encounter a problem.
>
> File. pdf.pcx
> Adobe Systems Inc
>
> Adobe Acrobat Control for Active X
> -- Can someone help me in real easy language to understand? I do not
> totally get some of this stuff. I have gone to Tools - Manage Add Ons and
> taken off what I thought was the problem.... to only not be able to open
> something at all.....
> Deb

frodo

Deb <Deb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> -- Can someone help me in real easy language to understand? I do not
> totally get some of this stuff. I have gone to Tools - Manage Add Ons and
> taken off what I thought was the problem.... to only not be able to open
> something at all.....
> Deb

The add-in permits a .pdf file to be downloaded and displayed RIGHT INSIDE
of IE, automatically. So, (left) clicking a link that leads to a .pdf
simply displays the .pdf file in the current window. As you have seen,
sometimes the add-in crashes. Also, pdf files tend to be large, and you
often sit there waiting for it all to come down before it will display. IE
is basically "stuck" waiting for that file to come down.

If you turn off the add-in then the only way to view a .pdf file will be
to 1) save it to disk as a file, and then 2) double click that file (using
windows explorer, not IE) to open it inside of Accrobat Reader (a seperate
window).

Actually, this is not such a bad idea, as doing this provides you w/ a
solid copy of the .pdf file (often you want to keep it anyway, if it's a
manual or something that you may need in the future), and as the file
downloads you can contiue to use IE for other things. EVEN IF you have
the add-in enabled you can acheive this same effect by RIGHT-CLICKING the
link and choosing "Save Target As..." instead of doing a (normal)
left-click on the link.

[I always like to hover over a link and check the status line to see just
what the link points to; if it's a .pdf I think twice - they're usually
pretty big! And if its something I don't like, or understand, then I think
twice about clicking it! (like a .vbs file)]