Running a Program from Start/Run

I've installed Ad Muncher (a popup killer). Everything works fine, but I
would like to be able to start the application from Start/Run.

The application file is "AdMunch.exe", but when I type this in, I get an
error message saying that the file can't be found.

However, if I do a search for "AdMunch.exe", it's found.

Anyone know what the problem might be?

Hi,

Type the full path to the executable.

--

Anando
Microsoft MVP- Windows Shell/User

In memory of Alex Nichol

Folder customizations
http://newdelhi.sancharnet.in/minku

Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

"darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23VDpzAJbFHA.3032@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> I've installed Ad Muncher (a popup killer). Everything works fine, but I would like to be able to
> start the application from Start/Run.
>
> The application file is "AdMunch.exe", but when I type this in, I get an error message saying that
> the file can't be found.
>
> However, if I do a search for "AdMunch.exe", it's found.
>
> Anyone know what the problem might be?

Arel

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2005

On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 19:11:43 -0600, "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I've installed Ad Muncher (a popup killer). Everything works fine, but I
>would like to be able to start the application from Start/Run.
>
>The application file is "AdMunch.exe", but when I type this in, I get an
>error message saying that the file can't be found.
>
>However, if I do a search for "AdMunch.exe", it's found.
>
>Anyone know what the problem might be?

Where is it found when you search? From unqualified start/run it has
to be in the windows system folders. If it is in program files,
you'll have to key in the qualified path to the folder the search
found it in, like:

c:/program files/foldername/admunch.exe

then it will run.

Okay.
So, unless the program is installed in a Windows System Folder, the whole
address is required when you use start\run.

Thanks.

"Arel" <bogusaddress@att.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 19:11:43 -0600, "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I've installed Ad Muncher (a popup killer). Everything works fine, but I
>>would like to be able to start the application from Start/Run.
>>
>>The application file is "AdMunch.exe", but when I type this in, I get an
>>error message saying that the file can't be found.
>>
>>However, if I do a search for "AdMunch.exe", it's found.
>>
>>Anyone know what the problem might be?
>>
> Where is it found when you search? From unqualified start/run it has
> to be in the windows system folders. If it is in program files,
> you'll have to key in the qualified path to the folder the search
> found it in, like:
>
> c:/program files/foldername/admunch.exe
>
> then it will run.

You have to tell the "system" where the file resides! That's why shortcuts
are so nice. All the necessary information is in the shortcut after you
create it.

Why do you need to run this from a command line?

--
Regards,

Richard Urban

> Okay.
> So, unless the program is installed in a Windows System Folder, the whole
> address is required when you use start\run.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Arel" <bogusaddress@att.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 19:11:43 -0600, "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I've installed Ad Muncher (a popup killer). Everything works fine, but I
>>>would like to be able to start the application from Start/Run.
>>>
>>>The application file is "AdMunch.exe", but when I type this in, I get an
>>>error message saying that the file can't be found.
>>>
>>>However, if I do a search for "AdMunch.exe", it's found.
>>>
>>>Anyone know what the problem might be?
>>>
>> Where is it found when you search? From unqualified start/run it has
>> to be in the windows system folders. If it is in program files,
>> you'll have to key in the qualified path to the folder the search
>> found it in, like:
>>
>> c:/program files/foldername/admunch.exe
>>
>> then it will run.

Not exactly. Files located in a folder listed in the Windows Path environmental variable do not need the full path, but there are other folders in the Path variable than just the System folder. In addition, programs not in a Path folder can be configured in the Registry HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications' key, and will then run with just the application name.

--

Bill James
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Windows VBScript Utilities » www.billsway.com/vbspage/
Windows Tweaks & Tips » www.billsway.com/notes_public/

"darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:O5MjTTJbFHA.2444@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> Okay.
> So, unless the program is installed in a Windows System Folder, the whole
> address is required when you use start\run.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Arel" <bogusaddress@att.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 19:11:43 -0600, "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I've installed Ad Muncher (a popup killer). Everything works fine, but I
>>>would like to be able to start the application from Start/Run.
>>>
>>>The application file is "AdMunch.exe", but when I type this in, I get an
>>>error message saying that the file can't be found.
>>>
>>>However, if I do a search for "AdMunch.exe", it's found.
>>>
>>>Anyone know what the problem might be?
>>>
>> Where is it found when you search? From unqualified start/run it has
>> to be in the windows system folders. If it is in program files,
>> you'll have to key in the qualified path to the folder the search
>> found it in, like:
>>
>> c:/program files/foldername/admunch.exe
>>
>> then it will run.

I took a look at the Registry.

I'd like to try to add "AdMuncher.exe" to that location.

The path is: "C:\Program Files\Ad Muncher\AdMunch.exe"

Can you tell me how to add this?

Thanks.

"Bill James" <wgjames@mvps.org> wrote in message
Not exactly. Files located in a folder listed in the Windows Path
environmental variable do not need the full path, but there are other
folders in the Path variable than just the System folder. In addition,
programs not in a Path folder can be configured in the Registry
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications' key, and will then run with just the
application name.

--

Bill James
Microsoft MVP - Shell/User

Windows VBScript Utilities » www.billsway.com/vbspage/
Windows Tweaks & Tips » www.billsway.com/notes_public/

"darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Okay.
> So, unless the program is installed in a Windows System Folder, the whole
> address is required when you use start\run.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Arel" <bogusaddress@att.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 19:11:43 -0600, "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I've installed Ad Muncher (a popup killer). Everything works fine, but I
>>>would like to be able to start the application from Start/Run.
>>>
>>>The application file is "AdMunch.exe", but when I type this in, I get an
>>>error message saying that the file can't be found.
>>>
>>>However, if I do a search for "AdMunch.exe", it's found.
>>>
>>>Anyone know what the problem might be?
>>>
>> Where is it found when you search? From unqualified start/run it has
>> to be in the windows system folders. If it is in program files,
>> you'll have to key in the qualified path to the folder the search
>> found it in, like:
>>
>> c:/program files/foldername/admunch.exe
>>
>> then it will run.

Instead of the Registry key I posted before, use this one if you just need to run the application: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths. Just look at the applications already there and set up yours the same. Be sure to make a System Restore Point before doing any Registry editing.

--

"darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:u0cnEZLbFHA.2696@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>I took a look at the Registry.
>
> I'd like to try to add "AdMuncher.exe" to that location.
>
> The path is: "C:\Program Files\Ad Muncher\AdMunch.exe"
>
> Can you tell me how to add this?
>
> Thanks.
>

> "Bill James" <wgjames@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Not exactly. Files located in a folder listed in the Windows Path
> environmental variable do not need the full path, but there are other
> folders in the Path variable than just the System folder. In addition,
> programs not in a Path folder can be configured in the Registry
> HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Applications' key, and will then run with just the
> application name.
>
> --
>
> Bill James
> Microsoft MVP - Shell/User
>
> Windows VBScript Utilities » www.billsway.com/vbspage/
> Windows Tweaks & Tips » www.billsway.com/notes_public/
>
> "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Okay.
>> So, unless the program is installed in a Windows System Folder, the whole
>> address is required when you use start\run.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> "Arel" <bogusaddress@att.net> wrote in message

>>> Where is it found when you search? From unqualified start/run it has
>>> to be in the windows system folders. If it is in program files,
>>> you'll have to key in the qualified path to the folder the search
>>> found it in, like:
>>>
>>> c:/program files/foldername/admunch.exe
>>>
>>> then it will run.

From MSDN:

Application Registration
When the ShellExecute function is provided with the name of an executable
file in its lpFile parameter, there are several places that it can look in
an attempt to find the file, including the following:

a.. The current working directory
b.. The Windows directory (no subdirectories are searched)
c.. The Windows\System32 directory
d.. Directories listed in the PATH environment variable
e.. The App Paths registry key
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/shellcc/platform/shell/programmersguide/shell_basics/shell_basics_extending/fileassociations/fa_perceived_types.asp

--
Ramesh Srinivasan
MS-MVP, Windows Shell

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

"darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Okay.
> So, unless the program is installed in a Windows System Folder, the whole
> address is required when you use start\run.
>
> Thanks.
>
> "Arel" <bogusaddress@att.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 8 Jun 2005 19:11:43 -0600, "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I've installed Ad Muncher (a popup killer). Everything works fine, but I
>>>would like to be able to start the application from Start/Run.
>>>
>>>The application file is "AdMunch.exe", but when I type this in, I get an
>>>error message saying that the file can't be found.
>>>
>>>However, if I do a search for "AdMunch.exe", it's found.
>>>
>>>Anyone know what the problem might be?
>>>
>> Where is it found when you search? From unqualified start/run it has
>> to be in the windows system folders. If it is in program files,
>> you'll have to key in the qualified path to the folder the search
>> found it in, like:
>>
>> c:/program files/foldername/admunch.exe
>>
>> then it will run.

"darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've installed Ad Muncher (a popup killer). Everything works fine, but I
> would like to be able to start the application from Start/Run.
>
> The application file is "AdMunch.exe", but when I type this in, I get an
> error message saying that the file can't be found.
>
> However, if I do a search for "AdMunch.exe", it's found.
>
> Anyone know what the problem might be?

This is smilar to you picking a phone directory at random
and dialling the number for Jack Brown. Chances are that
Jack's number belongs to a different city, and unless you
enter the full area code, you won't get anywhere!

Specify the full path for AdMuncher, e.g.
"c:\Program Files\Ad Muncher\AdMuncher.exe", or
even better: Create a shortcut on the desktop or in the
Start Menu.

I understand what you've written, but then how come I can just type in
"freecell" and the game comes up on the screen; no need for the complete
address?

In news:e7wBlLJbFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
darkrats <darkrats@hotmail.com> typed:

> I understand what you've written, but then how come I can just
> type in
> "freecell" and the game comes up on the screen; no need for the
> complete address?

That's because Freecell is in a folder in the path, but AdMunch
isn't.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "darkrats" <darkrats@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> I've installed Ad Muncher (a popup killer). Everything works
>>> fine,
>>> but I would like to be able to start the application from
>>> Start/Run.
>>>
>>> The application file is "AdMunch.exe", but when I type this
>>> in, I
>>> get an error message saying that the file can't be found.
>>>
>>> However, if I do a search for "AdMunch.exe", it's found.
>>>
>>> Anyone know what the problem might be?
>>>

>> This is smilar to you picking a phone directory at random
>> and dialling the number for Jack Brown. Chances are that
>> Jack's number belongs to a different city, and unless you
>> enter the full area code, you won't get anywhere!
>>
>> Specify the full path for AdMuncher, e.g.
>> "c:\Program Files\Ad Muncher\AdMuncher.exe", or
>> even better: Create a shortcut on the desktop or in the
>> Start Menu.

TRENDING THREADS