Is an HK Three Thirty Nocturn concidered 'High End'?

Last response: in Home Audio
Share
October 6, 2004 7:05:00 AM

I see from Harman Kardon's site that there are later 330s, an A, B, and
C model- but this is the original from what I can tell.

Was wondering how it stacked up.

TBerk
Anonymous
October 12, 2004 5:41:09 AM

T <tberk@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:<cjvncs095@news4.newsguy.com>...
> I see from Harman Kardon's site that there are later 330s, an A, B, and
> C model- but this is the original from what I can tell.
>
> Was wondering how it stacked up.

No, not high end. High-end gear is rare and expensive.

Any typical stereo store, or big stores such as Sam Goody, sold HK
gear back then, just as now. High-end gear is expensive, made in small
numbers, exclusive, and sold in audio boutiques. It's possible a place
like that might have HK or some brand like that available as an
affordable alternative, but that doesn't make your HK receiver high
end. High end gear is is like gourmet food; part of the appeal of
high-end gear is the exclusivity of having something rare and the
status that comes with being able to appreciate that sort gear, IMHO.

That doesn't mean your HK receiver is bad. It just isn't high end.

[Moderator's note: Your defintion does not fit this group's defintion:
2.0 -- Definition of High-End Audio

The working definition of 'high-end audio' under which this
newsgroup operates is

a) audio equipment whose primary and fundamental design goal is
to reproduce a musical event as faithfully as possible; or

b) audio equipment which attempts to provide an electromechanical
realization of the emotional experience commonly called music;
or

c) any relevant issues related to the use, design or theory about
a) or b).

Price is generally not significant in determining whether or not a
given component may be considered 'high-end'.

Products from mass-market corporations are less likely to be
considered high end insofar as such mass-market gear is designed
with apparent priority on things other than absolute sound quality.
-- deb]

> TBerk
August 9, 2008 4:19:46 PM

Cant resist! Just wondering why you (Tberk) wanted to know?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
August 10, 2008 2:34:13 AM

I can't resist either:

Do you really think that someone will respond back to a thread this old?
August 10, 2008 10:34:46 AM

well, you are right. I can't believe threads that old are still on the site!
!