how do u make a spell book?

Last response: in Video Games
February 6, 2005 3:42:28 PM

I saw that a new craftable will be a spellbook with enchanted
properties, so I'm wondering: how do you make a spell book? Or is that
not possible rt now?

More about : make spell book

Anonymous
February 6, 2005 7:10:04 PM

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 12:42:28 GMT, vince garcia
<vggarciaxx@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>I saw that a new craftable will be a spellbook with enchanted
>properties, so I'm wondering: how do you make a spell book? Or is that
>not possible rt now?

"magic spellbooks" (is there any other kind?) will be craftable after
Pub 29. No, you can't craft spellbooks now. I'm not sure what good
they will be - you can cast spells out of the book w/o mana, maybe?
--
"E Pluribus Unum Auarca"

- the inevitable consequence of owning a puppy.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 10:06:35 PM

On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 16:10:04 -0800, OrionCA <OrionCA@earthlink.net> wrote:

>On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 12:42:28 GMT, vince garcia
><vggarciaxx@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
>
>>I saw that a new craftable will be a spellbook with enchanted
>>properties, so I'm wondering: how do you make a spell book? Or is that
>>not possible rt now?
>
>"magic spellbooks" (is there any other kind?) will be craftable after
>Pub 29. No, you can't craft spellbooks now. I'm not sure what good
>they will be - you can cast spells out of the book w/o mana, maybe?

Maybe they add faster cast or recovery bonuses?

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 16:10:04 -0800, OrionCA <OrionCA@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 12:42:28 GMT, vince garcia
> ><vggarciaxx@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
> >
> >>I saw that a new craftable will be a spellbook with enchanted
> >>properties, so I'm wondering: how do you make a spell book? Or is that
> >>not possible rt now?
> >
> >"magic spellbooks" (is there any other kind?) will be craftable after
> >Pub 29. No, you can't craft spellbooks now. I'm not sure what good
> >they will be - you can cast spells out of the book w/o mana, maybe?
>
> Maybe they add faster cast or recovery bonuses?

Magery, Eval Int, Resist and Med bonuses +0-12, Intel Bonus 0-8, FC, FCR,
Mana Increase and SDI are the craftable properties. To get a spellbook with
anything useful on it apparently requires a GM Scribe AND 120 Magery. And
you burn through a lot of scrolls before getting any magic spellbooks......

BTW, Pub 29 is what is on shards now, the "Invasion" publish. Pub 30
introduces the Treasures of Tokuno (and magic spellbooks) and Pub 31 will be
the second (and last) phase of the Treasures saga.
Anonymous
February 6, 2005 10:23:46 PM

On 06 feb 2005 vince garcia was heard to say:

> I saw that a new craftable will be a spellbook with enchanted
> properties, so I'm wondering: how do you make a spell book? Or is
> that not possible rt now?

Not possible until the publish, 30 i think, comes to
a server near you...
You could try the Testcenter server to try it..

--
John Hinge - shayera / .sPOOn. http://www.spoon.dvd-klub.dk
On usenet I represent no one but myself.

"vince garcia" <vggarciaxx@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>I saw that a new craftable will be a spellbook with enchanted
> properties, so I'm wondering: how do you make a spell book? Or is that
> not possible rt now?

Right now, it's only possible on the test shard, and I think it might have
made it's way onto Origin.

All you need is GM inscription, some scrolls, and, because the developers
were drinking at the time, a 120 magery scroll.

It'll probably go live sometime in the next fortnight.

Now, picture a 'pure' scribe doing a spawn or running around Doom to get
hold of that magery scroll. Monsters with little stab wounds inflicted by
pens everywhere, rubbing ink out of their eyes, pulling 'kick me' notices
off their backs, and reading the insulting graffitti left on their walls...

Maybe they'll invent a better way for scribes to get power scrolls, but I
seriously doubt it.
Poor scribes... Poor, ink-stained monsters...
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 1:38:58 AM

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Alergic Alchemist wrote:

> "vince garcia" <vggarciaxx@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> >I saw that a new craftable will be a spellbook with enchanted
> > properties, so I'm wondering: how do you make a spell book? Or is that
> > not possible rt now?
>
> Right now, it's only possible on the test shard, and I think it might have
> made it's way onto Origin.
>
> All you need is GM inscription, some scrolls, and, because the developers
> were drinking at the time, a 120 magery scroll.
>
> It'll probably go live sometime in the next fortnight.
>
> Now, picture a 'pure' scribe doing a spawn or running around Doom to get
> hold of that magery scroll. Monsters with little stab wounds inflicted by
> pens everywhere, rubbing ink out of their eyes, pulling 'kick me' notices
> off their backs, and reading the insulting graffitti left on their walls...
>
> Maybe they'll invent a better way for scribes to get power scrolls, but I
> seriously doubt it.
> Poor scribes... Poor, ink-stained monsters...

What is your definition of scribe? A character with only Inscription,
Magery, and Meditation? Pardon me if I don't buy that. There is no such
thing as a "pure scribe" in UO, although there can be pure mages that have
Inscription as part of their skillsets. I have had one for over 6 years.
And he does fine in Doom and champ spawns.

--
Paul W. Lints UIN:25030144
pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 22:38:58 -0800, "Paul W. Lints"
<pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu> wrote:

>On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Alergic Alchemist wrote:
>
>> "vince garcia" <vggarciaxx@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> >I saw that a new craftable will be a spellbook with enchanted
>> > properties, so I'm wondering: how do you make a spell book? Or is that
>> > not possible rt now?
>>
>> Right now, it's only possible on the test shard, and I think it might have
>> made it's way onto Origin.
>>
>> All you need is GM inscription, some scrolls, and, because the developers
>> were drinking at the time, a 120 magery scroll.
>>
>> It'll probably go live sometime in the next fortnight.
>>
>> Now, picture a 'pure' scribe doing a spawn or running around Doom to get
>> hold of that magery scroll. Monsters with little stab wounds inflicted by
>> pens everywhere, rubbing ink out of their eyes, pulling 'kick me' notices
>> off their backs, and reading the insulting graffitti left on their walls...
>>
>> Maybe they'll invent a better way for scribes to get power scrolls, but I
>> seriously doubt it.
>> Poor scribes... Poor, ink-stained monsters...
>>

>What is your definition of scribe? A character with only Inscription,
>Magery, and Meditation? Pardon me if I don't buy that. There is no such
>thing as a "pure scribe" in UO, although there can be pure mages that have
>Inscription as part of their skillsets. I have had one for over 6 years.
>And he does fine in Doom and champ spawns.

Why be so argumentative? He was trying to be funny and IMHO,
succeeded. You on the other hand, not at all funny.

Just MHO,

Ice
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 5:42:44 AM

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 22:38:58 -0800, "Paul W. Lints"
<pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu> wrote:

>What is your definition of scribe? A character with only Inscription,
>Magery, and Meditation? Pardon me if I don't buy that. There is no such
>thing as a "pure scribe" in UO, although there can be pure mages that have
>Inscription as part of their skillsets. I have had one for over 6 years.
>And he does fine in Doom and champ spawns.

So my scribe with 100 inscription and no other skills at all isn't a pure
scribe? He will be shocked when I tell him. ;P

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 12:23:09 PM

>> >"magic spellbooks" (is there any other kind?) will be craftable after
>> >Pub 29. No, you can't craft spellbooks now. I'm not sure what good
>> >they will be - you can cast spells out of the book w/o mana, maybe?
>>
>> Maybe they add faster cast or recovery bonuses?
>>
> Magery, Eval Int, Resist and Med bonuses +0-12, Intel Bonus 0-8, FC, FCR,
> Mana Increase and SDI are the craftable properties. To get a spellbook
> with
> anything useful on it apparently requires a GM Scribe AND 120 Magery. And
> you burn through a lot of scrolls before getting any magic
> spellbooks......
>
> BTW, Pub 29 is what is on shards now, the "Invasion" publish. Pub 30
> introduces the Treasures of Tokuno (and magic spellbooks) and Pub 31 will
> be
> the second (and last) phase of the Treasures saga.

I messed around a bit on the test shard. The +10 to magery and faster
casting 1 and cast recovery 2 book I made was pretty good. God don't I wish
I could have had it on a regular shard. Since I was in the process of making
a Mage on G.L. and doing the inscription for the bonus, this is right up my
alley. But there is one problem. Where do I find a 120 Mage scroll? I've
only seen one like 3 times in the almost two years I have been playing UO.
the 2+ million price tag on it deterd me from buying it. Not because I am
cheap, but I've never even seen that much money let alone possesed it. So
once again. Where might I find a 120 Magery scroll that isn't on a vendor.
Thanks

Sticky_314
February 7, 2005 12:23:10 PM

"Sticky_314" <sticky_314@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D 4mdnZvMGI9N5JrfRVn-sw@comcast.com...
> alley. But there is one problem. Where do I find a 120 Mage scroll? I've
> only seen one like 3 times in the almost two years I have been playing UO.
> the 2+ million price tag on it deterd me from buying it. Not because I am
> cheap, but I've never even seen that much money let alone possesed it. So
> once again. Where might I find a 120 Magery scroll that isn't on a vendor.
> Thanks

The Fel guilds usually keep the 120's for themselves or send them to eBay.
I think I saw one on Pacific once but it was in the 7mil range......
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 12:40:09 PM

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Ice wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 22:38:58 -0800, "Paul W. Lints"
> <pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu> wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Alergic Alchemist wrote:
> >>
> >> All you need is GM inscription, some scrolls, and, because the developers
> >> were drinking at the time, a 120 magery scroll.
> >>
> >> It'll probably go live sometime in the next fortnight.
> >>
> >> Now, picture a 'pure' scribe doing a spawn or running around Doom to get
> >> hold of that magery scroll. Monsters with little stab wounds inflicted by
> >> pens everywhere, rubbing ink out of their eyes, pulling 'kick me' notices
> >> off their backs, and reading the insulting graffitti left on their walls...
> >>
> >> Maybe they'll invent a better way for scribes to get power scrolls, but I
> >> seriously doubt it.
> >> Poor scribes... Poor, ink-stained monsters...
> >>

> >What is your definition of scribe? A character with only Inscription,
> >Magery, and Meditation? Pardon me if I don't buy that. There is no such
> >thing as a "pure scribe" in UO, although there can be pure mages that have
> >Inscription as part of their skillsets. I have had one for over 6 years.
> >And he does fine in Doom and champ spawns.
>
> Why be so argumentative? He was trying to be funny and IMHO,
> succeeded. You on the other hand, not at all funny.

I wasn't trying to be funny. I just get irked when people jump at any
chance they get to rag on EA. They deserve it sometimes, but some players
take absolutely any chance they get, no matter what basis for complaint
they have.

--
Paul W. Lints UIN:25030144
pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 12:41:07 PM

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Michael Cecil wrote:

> On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 22:38:58 -0800, "Paul W. Lints"
> <pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu> wrote:
>
> >What is your definition of scribe? A character with only Inscription,
> >Magery, and Meditation? Pardon me if I don't buy that. There is no such
> >thing as a "pure scribe" in UO, although there can be pure mages that have
> >Inscription as part of their skillsets. I have had one for over 6 years.
> >And he does fine in Doom and champ spawns.
>
> So my scribe with 100 inscription and no other skills at all isn't a pure
> scribe? He will be shocked when I tell him. ;P

I would say he is a scribe who is too lazy to do anything else :) . He is
hardly exerting himself with only 100 skill points, and I tend to question
his ability when making scrolls if he can't even cast the spells in the
first place ;) .

--
Paul W. Lints UIN:25030144
pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 12:46:18 PM

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Sticky_314 wrote:
> I messed around a bit on the test shard. The +10 to magery and faster
> casting 1 and cast recovery 2 book I made was pretty good. God don't I wish
> I could have had it on a regular shard. Since I was in the process of making
> a Mage on G.L. and doing the inscription for the bonus, this is right up my
> alley. But there is one problem. Where do I find a 120 Mage scroll? I've
> only seen one like 3 times in the almost two years I have been playing UO.
> the 2+ million price tag on it deterd me from buying it. Not because I am
> cheap, but I've never even seen that much money let alone possesed it. So
> once again. Where might I find a 120 Magery scroll that isn't on a vendor.
> Thanks

I dropped 8 mil on my +20 mage scroll, and that was after prices had been
dropping. Have they really dropped so far? Anyhow, depending on what shard
you play on, you might be able to find a scroll for sale on rpgtradespot,
markeedragon, or Stratics (they have a Trade Forum, but traffic is not too
great...some shard forums allow you to post things for purchase/sale).

--
Paul W. Lints UIN:25030144
pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 3:08:43 PM

vince garcia wrote:

> I saw that a new craftable will be a spellbook with enchanted
> properties, so I'm wondering: how do you make a spell book? Or is that
> not possible rt now?

Not possible right now, in Publish 30 you can do it using Inscription.
Your level of Magery determins the strength of the properties.

--
~ Ghosty
I Awoke In Britannia! http://britannia.blogspot.com

Alergic Alchemist wrote:

> "vince garcia" <vggarciaxx@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
> >I saw that a new craftable will be a spellbook with enchanted
> > properties, so I'm wondering: how do you make a spell book? Or is that
> > not possible rt now?
>
> Right now, it's only possible on the test shard, and I think it might have
> made it's way onto Origin.
>
> All you need is GM inscription, some scrolls, and, because the developers
> were drinking at the time, a 120 magery scroll.

SAY WHAT???????

> It'll probably go live sometime in the next fortnight.
>
> Now, picture a 'pure' scribe doing a spawn or running around Doom to get
> hold of that magery scroll. Monsters with little stab wounds inflicted by
> pens everywhere, rubbing ink out of their eyes, pulling 'kick me' notices
> off their backs, and reading the insulting graffitti left on their walls...
>
> Maybe they'll invent a better way for scribes to get power scrolls, but I
> seriously doubt it.
> Poor scribes... Poor, ink-stained monsters...
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 5:17:12 PM

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Ice wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:40:09 -0800, "Paul W. Lints"
> <pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu> wrote:
>

> >> Why be so argumentative? He was trying to be funny and IMHO,
> >> succeeded. You on the other hand, not at all funny.
> >>

> >I wasn't trying to be funny. I just get irked when people jump at any
> >chance they get to rag on EA. They deserve it sometimes, but some players
> >take absolutely any chance they get, no matter what basis for complaint
> >they have.

Before I get to what you are arguing, the point of contention between me and
the person I replied to was regarding the fact that "pure scribes" will be
SOL. I didn't touch on the 120 magery scroll part. But since you had to go
and rant about it, I may as well reply.

> EA deserves 99.9% of what is dished out. This with the spell books is
> just another example of feeding the PK's and e-Bay'ers. The PK's
> CONTROL the Champ spawns where you get the scrolls. I looked around
> Atlantic last night and could not find even one 120 Margery scroll. I
> ask a few people and was told "if I could find one" it would cost RL
> money or 8-9 or 10 mil. I do not even have that much UO gold, and
> I am sure not going to pay RL money for in-game junk.

Nothing says that a person with sub-Legendary status cannot make a magical
spell book. They simply won't be as powerful. 110 scrolls cost 100k, and
you can still craft a magic book. I worked very hard as a crafter to buy my
Powerscrolls. No PKing or spawn contending involved. Just because you do
not have the drive to do something does not make it impossible.

> EA has done it AGAIN. They cant be stupid enough to think "normal"
> people can get the scrolls on their own. They have to know the spawns
> are controlled. If they do not, they are even more stupid than I
> thought.

Trammel is good for earning gold without risk. Why not do so and buy the
scrolls, if you can't contend with the people controlling the champ spawns?

> Folks, if you buy a magic spell book after they come out, count on it,
> your buying from a CHEATER. I will not be buying one. Charms will
> have to do for my Mage. I wish everyone would do the same, and
> let the PK's spin in the wind with all their 120 scrolls.
>
> Just MHO,

Yeah, very humble. There are plenty of merchants that disagree with your
assessment. I have a 5x120 scribe mage, no cheating involved. And I know
a few others, just in the small group of UO players that I am aquainted
with. Just because you cannot do something does not give you grounds to
claim that everyone else who can is a cheater. It is just grounds for them
to call you lazy, opinionated, and narrowminded.

--
Paul W. Lints UIN:25030144
pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu
February 7, 2005 6:50:42 PM

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:40:09 -0800, "Paul W. Lints"
<pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu> wrote:

>> Why be so argumentative? He was trying to be funny and IMHO,
>> succeeded. You on the other hand, not at all funny.
>>

>I wasn't trying to be funny. I just get irked when people jump at any
>chance they get to rag on EA. They deserve it sometimes, but some players
>take absolutely any chance they get, no matter what basis for complaint
>they have.

EA deserves 99.9% of what is dished out. This with the spell books is
just another example of feeding the PK's and e-Bay'ers. The PK's
CONTROL the Champ spawns where you get the scrolls. I looked around
Atlantic last night and could not find even one 120 Margery scroll. I
ask a few people and was told "if I could find one" it would cost RL
money or 8-9 or 10 mil. I do not even have that much UO gold, and
I am sure not going to pay RL money for in-game junk.

EA has done it AGAIN. They cant be stupid enough to think "normal"
people can get the scrolls on their own. They have to know the spawns
are controlled. If they do not, they are even more stupid than I
thought.

Folks, if you buy a magic spell book after they come out, count on it,
your buying from a CHEATER. I will not be buying one. Charms will
have to do for my Mage. I wish everyone would do the same, and
let the PK's spin in the wind with all their 120 scrolls.

Just MHO,

Ice
Anonymous
February 7, 2005 10:04:54 PM

>> I messed around a bit on the test shard. The +10 to magery and faster
>> casting 1 and cast recovery 2 book I made was pretty good. God don't I
>> wish
>> I could have had it on a regular shard. Since I was in the process of
>> making
>> a Mage on G.L. and doing the inscription for the bonus, this is right up
>> my
>> alley. But there is one problem. Where do I find a 120 Mage scroll? I've
>> only seen one like 3 times in the almost two years I have been playing
>> UO.
>> the 2+ million price tag on it deterd me from buying it. Not because I am
>> cheap, but I've never even seen that much money let alone possesed it. So
>> once again. Where might I find a 120 Magery scroll that isn't on a
>> vendor.
>> Thanks
>>

> I dropped 8 mil on my +20 mage scroll, and that was after prices had been
> dropping. Have they really dropped so far? Anyhow, depending on what
> shard
> you play on, you might be able to find a scroll for sale on rpgtradespot,
> markeedragon, or Stratics (they have a Trade Forum, but traffic is not too
> great...some shard forums allow you to post things for purchase/sale).
>
> --
> Paul W. Lints UIN:25030144
> pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu

The last time I seen one was about a year ago and I think it was 2mil if I
remember right. I could be wrong. But 8mil??? Thats freaking nutz. I took a
glance at ebay just to see. None on my Great Lakes shard. Did see one or two
for other shards. But there is no freaking way I'm forking out $100 for it.
And I thought the +25 scrolls were bad, WTF? Anyways. I have no idea what
the going rate is for them now. There are only about 25,000 vendors set up
in Luna and I just don't have the time to go threw them all. If anyone has
any idea. Let me know.

Sticky_314
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 3:07:30 AM

Paul W. Lints wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Ice wrote:

<snip>
>>EA has done it AGAIN. They cant be stupid enough to think "normal"
>>people can get the scrolls on their own. They have to know the spawns
>>are controlled. If they do not, they are even more stupid than I
>>thought.
>

> Trammel is good for earning gold without risk. Why not do so and buy the
> scrolls, if you can't contend with the people controlling the champ spawns?

I think you missed the point. I haven't checked recently but last time I
checked gold was selling for $20-$30/million. If you pay someone who
used exploits in cash or $$$ it still ends up someone who in all
likelyhood was cheating nets $40-$90 for the effort. Understand that if
I find a 120 magery scroll at a decent price I will buy it, but it is
just paying some exploiter jerk for something I should've been able to
obtain through normal game play rather then use illegal 3rd party fast
loot scripts for example.

Would using a scroll obtained by a cheater make my character a cheater?
Damn straight IMO. Just as much as if I took a 100,000,000 gold duped by
someone else. Unfortunately just about every character is touched by
cheating one way or another. Maybe you never cheated but who knows about
the people buying your vendor's junk.<for instance>

Understand that the only reason I played so much EQ is because of their
stand on cheating and probably the only reason I don't play Blizzard's
online game is because I remember their feeble efforts to curb cheating
in Diablo I & II.
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 4:18:34 AM

"Ghosty Twofish" <ghosty@gmail.com.deleteme> wrote in message
> vince garcia wrote:
>
>> I saw that a new craftable will be a spellbook with enchanted
>> properties, so I'm wondering: how do you make a spell book? Or is that
>> not possible rt now?
>
> Not possible right now, in Publish 30 you can do it using Inscription.
> Your level of Magery determins the strength of the properties.
>

> --
> ~ Ghosty
> I Awoke In Britannia! http://britannia.blogspot.com

On test center I also got better results while wearing a luck suit. For
those of you that still hold any faith in those things.
February 8, 2005 8:10:40 AM

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:17:12 -0800, "Paul W. Lints"
<pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu> wrote:

>Yeah, very humble. There are plenty of merchants that disagree with your
>assessment. I have a 5x120 scribe mage, no cheating involved. And I know
>a few others, just in the small group of UO players that I am aquainted
>with. Just because you cannot do something does not give you grounds to
>claim that everyone else who can is a cheater. It is just grounds for them
>to call you lazy, opinionated, and narrowminded.

As Rick said "you missed the point". You was in such a hurry to jump
up and defend yourself for paying some jerk that used exploits, and
intimidation to get that scroll you paid for, you did not even see the
point.

The point is, I think most of us would really rather try to "win" or
"earn" a scroll for our self, not pay some jerk his asking price for
one, but we CANT............. I really enjoyed the Champ spawn
the few times I went before they reverted back to the old Fel
rules. Now if you do not belong to a PK guild that is in control
of the spawn, you are killed on sight.
February 8, 2005 8:45:47 AM

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:17:12 -0800, "Paul W. Lints"
<pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu> wrote:

>Yeah, very humble. There are plenty of merchants that disagree with your
>assessment. I have a 5x120 scribe mage, no cheating involved. And I know
>a few others, just in the small group of UO players that I am aquainted
>with. Just because you cannot do something does not give you grounds to
>claim that everyone else who can is a cheater. It is just grounds for them
>to call you lazy, opinionated, and narrowminded.

As Rick said "you missed the point". You was in such a hurry to jump
up and defend yourself for paying some jerk that used exploits, and
intimidation to get that scroll you paid for, you did not even see the
point.

The point is, I think most of us would really rather try to "win" or
"earn" a scroll for our self, not pay some jerk his asking price for
one, but we CANT............. I really enjoyed the Champ spawn
the few times I went before they reverted back to the old Fel
rules. Now if you do not belong to a PK guild that is in control
of the spawn, you are killed on sight.

Don't talk to me about "drive to do something". I have been
playing this game from final beta in Aug 1997. I have GM'ed
every skill in the game, even begging, just for the fun of it.

What I did say, was if everyone would stop buying the scrolls,
it would take the profit out of controlling the spawns. Then
maybe some of the rest of us could have the fun of earning
our own scrolls rather than pay some CHEATER for them.
Better yet, EA could put the spawns under Trammel rules then
everyone could have fun, not just the PK guilds.

I have a 110 Magery scroll, given to me by a friend that quit
the game last year. My Mage/Scrib is already at 110.

I have never made a point of hoarding gold. My vendors do
not over charge for anything. Charms that I see for 1000 gold
on other vendors, I sell for 25 gold, etc. I give away more
goods than I sell. I do not gold harvest in the dungeons.
When I "hunt", I try to find the hardest thing I can take on
alone. You don't make much gold that way, but you do have
a lot of fun. I thought "FUN" was what the game was all about.

Now if I started harvesting gold, so I could pay 8 to 10 mil to some
CHEATER for a 120 Magery scroll, I would not be having much
fun.

On the few occasions that I have needed a lot of gold, I have found
a way to get it, but I am not interested in paying some JERK a lot
of gold for a power scroll, because HE is the reason I cant go have
the fun getting that power scroll for myself.

THERE! Now do you get it...........? Probably not.......

Ice
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 3:47:07 PM

On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 09:46:18 -0800, "Paul W. Lints"
<pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu> wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Sticky_314 wrote:
>> I messed around a bit on the test shard. The +10 to magery and faster
>> casting 1 and cast recovery 2 book I made was pretty good. God don't I wish
>> I could have had it on a regular shard. Since I was in the process of making
>> a Mage on G.L. and doing the inscription for the bonus, this is right up my
>> alley. But there is one problem. Where do I find a 120 Mage scroll? I've
>> only seen one like 3 times in the almost two years I have been playing UO.
>> the 2+ million price tag on it deterd me from buying it. Not because I am
>> cheap, but I've never even seen that much money let alone possesed it. So
>> once again. Where might I find a 120 Magery scroll that isn't on a vendor.
>> Thanks
>>

>I dropped 8 mil on my +20 mage scroll, and that was after prices had been
>dropping. Have they really dropped so far? Anyhow, depending on what shard
>you play on, you might be able to find a scroll for sale on rpgtradespot,
>markeedragon, or Stratics (they have a Trade Forum, but traffic is not too
>great...some shard forums allow you to post things for purchase/sale).

One thing that I think we should bear in mind is that these fabulous
new spellbooks are blessed and can never be lost. In a few months
they'll be cheap as dirt. No way am I blowing that kind of money on a
+20 mage scroll just to try to make them myself.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 3:49:17 PM

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 00:07:30 GMT, Rick Cortese
<ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Paul W. Lints wrote:
>> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Ice wrote:
>>
><snip>
>>>EA has done it AGAIN. They cant be stupid enough to think "normal"
>>>people can get the scrolls on their own. They have to know the spawns
>>>are controlled. If they do not, they are even more stupid than I
>>>thought.
>>

>> Trammel is good for earning gold without risk. Why not do so and buy the
>> scrolls, if you can't contend with the people controlling the champ spawns?
>
>I think you missed the point. I haven't checked recently but last time I
>checked gold was selling for $20-$30/million. If you pay someone who
>used exploits in cash or $$$ it still ends up someone who in all
>likelyhood was cheating nets $40-$90 for the effort. Understand that if
>I find a 120 magery scroll at a decent price I will buy it, but it is
>just paying some exploiter jerk for something I should've been able to
>obtain through normal game play rather then use illegal 3rd party fast
>loot scripts for example.

Good god Rick. Gold hasnt gone for that much for years. You can get it
for 10 bucks a million these days.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 4:54:39 PM

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:47:07 -0500, Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote:

>One thing that I think we should bear in mind is that these fabulous
>new spellbooks are blessed and can never be lost. In a few months
>they'll be cheap as dirt. No way am I blowing that kind of money on a
>+20 mage scroll just to try to make them myself.
>
>Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

So they have decided to make them blessed upon creation? The last I heard
they wouldn't be. Of course I didn't know they'd take a 120 scroll
either.

Don't you just love when they add features for craftsmen that craftsmen
can't actually get? Stupid "let's add more content for exploiters" OSI.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 7:13:56 PM

>>One thing that I think we should bear in mind is that these fabulous
>>new spellbooks are blessed and can never be lost. In a few months
>>they'll be cheap as dirt. No way am I blowing that kind of money on a
>>+20 mage scroll just to try to make them myself.
>>
>>Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
>
> So they have decided to make them blessed upon creation? The last I heard
> they wouldn't be. Of course I didn't know they'd take a 120 scroll
> either.
>
> Don't you just love when they add features for craftsmen that craftsmen
> can't actually get? Stupid "let's add more content for exploiters" OSI.
>
> --
> Michael Cecil
> http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

Well the char I was building was going to be a mage anyhow. I was already
workingt the inscription for the bonus that mages get for having it GMed.
Therefore, it just kind of worked out for me. Although I had no idea that
the 120 scroll came from Fel and was such a pain to get to. It may take a
long while. But I'll get one. Even if I gotta pay 30 people a 100K each to
go do a champ spawn with me to hold off the damn reds. :)

Sticky_314
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 9:18:54 PM

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 13:54:39 -0600, Michael Cecil
<macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:47:07 -0500, Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote:
>
>>One thing that I think we should bear in mind is that these fabulous
>>new spellbooks are blessed and can never be lost. In a few months
>>they'll be cheap as dirt. No way am I blowing that kind of money on a
>>+20 mage scroll just to try to make them myself.
>>
>>Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
>
>So they have decided to make them blessed upon creation? The last I heard
>they wouldn't be. Of course I didn't know they'd take a 120 scroll
>either.

Last I heard they won't be blessed on Siege but will be everywhere
else.

>Don't you just love when they add features for craftsmen that craftsmen
>can't actually get? Stupid "let's add more content for exploiters" OSI.

It's just stupid. It'll be about as long lasting an improvement for
scribes as the trophy deed thing was for carpenters.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 10:13:59 PM

"Paul W. Lints" <pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu> wrote in message
news:p ine.GSO.4.55.0502062236430.9634@garrison.intranet.csupomona.edu...
> On Sun, 6 Feb 2005, Alergic Alchemist wrote:
>
>> "vince garcia" <vggarciaxx@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> >I saw that a new craftable will be a spellbook with enchanted
>> > properties, so I'm wondering: how do you make a spell book? Or is that
>> > not possible rt now?
>>
>> Right now, it's only possible on the test shard, and I think it might
>> have
>> made it's way onto Origin.
>>
>> All you need is GM inscription, some scrolls, and, because the developers
>> were drinking at the time, a 120 magery scroll.
>>
>> It'll probably go live sometime in the next fortnight.
>>
>> Now, picture a 'pure' scribe doing a spawn or running around Doom to get
>> hold of that magery scroll. Monsters with little stab wounds inflicted
>> by
>> pens everywhere, rubbing ink out of their eyes, pulling 'kick me' notices
>> off their backs, and reading the insulting graffitti left on their
>> walls...
>>
>> Maybe they'll invent a better way for scribes to get power scrolls, but I
>> seriously doubt it.
>> Poor scribes... Poor, ink-stained monsters...
>>

> What is your definition of scribe? A character with only Inscription,
> Magery, and Meditation? Pardon me if I don't buy that. There is no such
> thing as a "pure scribe" in UO, although there can be pure mages that have
> Inscription as part of their skillsets. I have had one for over 6 years.
> And he does fine in Doom and champ spawns.

Whoo... tried decaf lately? That post was 90% humour, really. Still, here's
a more serious look at it. I'm very sorry if you "don't buy it", but I know
some people who actually do have more or less the template you describe. One
of them's in-game with me as I type this, so here's the template, from the
horse's mouth.

Inscription
Meditation
Focus
Magery
Cartography
Hiding
Healing

So, no, not a 'pure' scribe, but, by your definition, a pure scribe would be
one who wastes a lot of skill points by letting them just lie there unused.
This particualr person helps friends with any treasure maps they find, but
does not get involved in the actual fighting or looting. Money comes from a
portion of the map solved, scrolls and full spellbooks sold, etc.
That's not a monster hunter, not a PvPer, not a mule, but someone who
basically tries to be nice and helpful to the people they meet. I know, very
rare in this world, but they do exist.

Then, there's always the Mugen and Siege world. Lots of people do actually
play there, despite whatever you've heard. One character per account. There
are people there who play similar characters, again, out of choice, because
they enjoy it.
Suddenly, they're left out of the latest 'improvements', simply because a)
their chosen in-game lifestyle doesn't make millions for them, and b) they
have no chance of physically going to get the required item.

If EA were to provide a decent method of allowing crafters to obtain power
scrolls, I'd have no problem with the requirement. As it stands, they're
left having to pay a small fortune to someone who is probably a Doom
scripter, or having to totally alter their play style. I don't often
complain about the way that EA change things, but this one smells of strong
liquor.

No one is asking the PvP'ers to abandon fighting long enough to become
legendary tinkers, so why ask a scribe to get the skills needed to obtain a
rare 120 magery scroll?

I still prefer picturing ink-splattered monsters lurching around,
complaining about the bad graffitti...
Anonymous
February 8, 2005 10:14:00 PM

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 19:13:59 -0000, "Alergic Alchemist"
<allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:

>I still prefer picturing ink-splattered monsters lurching around,
>complaining about the bad graffitti...

That was pretty funny. And obviously satirical.
My pure scribe (who exists only in my mind) got it anyhow.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:30:39 AM

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Rick Cortese wrote:

> Paul W. Lints wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 Feb 2005, Ice wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> >>EA has done it AGAIN. They cant be stupid enough to think "normal"
> >>people can get the scrolls on their own. They have to know the spawns
> >>are controlled. If they do not, they are even more stupid than I
> >>thought.
> >

> > Trammel is good for earning gold without risk. Why not do so and buy the
> > scrolls, if you can't contend with the people controlling the champ spawns?
>
> I think you missed the point. I haven't checked recently but last time I
> checked gold was selling for $20-$30/million. If you pay someone who
> used exploits in cash or $$$ it still ends up someone who in all
> likelyhood was cheating nets $40-$90 for the effort. Understand that if
> I find a 120 magery scroll at a decent price I will buy it, but it is
> just paying some exploiter jerk for something I should've been able to
> obtain through normal game play rather then use illegal 3rd party fast
> loot scripts for example.

First of all, you are lucky if you can sell gold for more than $8/million
unless you are on Siege. Also, script looting has absolutely nothing to do
with PowerScrolls. It is all about controlling the spawns, which is not
"cheating". poor game design I grant you, but perfectly legal.

> Would using a scroll obtained by a cheater make my character a cheater?
> Damn straight IMO. Just as much as if I took a 100,000,000 gold duped by
> someone else. Unfortunately just about every character is touched by
> cheating one way or another. Maybe you never cheated but who knows about
> the people buying your vendor's junk.<for instance>

You do realize that a pretty damn good fraction of the money in circulation
originated with dupe bugs and unattended scripting of buy/sell loopholes?
If you consider getting cheated money thrice removed as cheating, you might
want to stop acepting gold from everyone you don't know personally. Even
then, you are pretty sure to "get your hands dirty", although at least you
will have tried to minimize the chance.

> Understand that the only reason I played so much EQ is because of their
> stand on cheating and probably the only reason I don't play Blizzard's
> online game is because I remember their feeble efforts to curb cheating
> in Diablo I & II.

Blizzard actually seems to be more serious about rule enforcement in WoW
than EA is with UO. Time will tell, though.

--
Paul W. Lints UIN:25030144
pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 2:08:08 AM

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Alergic Alchemist wrote:

> Whoo... tried decaf lately? That post was 90% humour, really. Still, here's
> a more serious look at it. I'm very sorry if you "don't buy it", but I know
> some people who actually do have more or less the template you describe. One
> of them's in-game with me as I type this, so here's the template, from the
> horse's mouth.
>
> Inscription
> Meditation
> Focus
> Magery
> Cartography
> Hiding
> Healing
>
> So, no, not a 'pure' scribe, but, by your definition, a pure scribe would be
> one who wastes a lot of skill points by letting them just lie there unused.

If you actually tried to understand what I was saying, my definition was
that there is not one specific "pure scribe" template that is helpless. My
contention was that scribes are just a subclass, normally a mage subclass.
The template you list is no more of a "pure scribe" than the one I run,
which is usable in pretty much any aspect of the game. Its ok, though,
doesn't really bother me.

> This particualr person helps friends with any treasure maps they find, but
> does not get involved in the actual fighting or looting. Money comes from a
> portion of the map solved, scrolls and full spellbooks sold, etc.
> That's not a monster hunter, not a PvPer, not a mule, but someone who
> basically tries to be nice and helpful to the people they meet. I know, very
> rare in this world, but they do exist.

Sounds like me in game, believe it or not. I usually don't take payment for
anything, though, as I tend to be more affluent in game than the people I
help out. Sorry if I don't understand why you put that paragraph in,
though; to show that the game is not all about money? The game is not all
about items, either, which is why I always get confused when people are
upset that they don't get everything the want magically in their bankbox.

> Then, there's always the Mugen and Siege world. Lots of people do actually
> play there, despite whatever you've heard. One character per account. There
> are people there who play similar characters, again, out of choice, because
> they enjoy it.

I would know, as Siege is one of the two shards I play. If you talk about
Siege from experience, you should know that they have a very high proportion
of people who run multiple accounts. You keep bringing up
jack-of-all-trades type characters. Well, there is nothing to prevent them
from making gold and buying anything they can't earn, if they want it
enough.

> Suddenly, they're left out of the latest 'improvements', simply because a)
> their chosen in-game lifestyle doesn't make millions for them, and b) they
> have no chance of physically going to get the required item.

Point being? Most of them complain that they don't want the latest
'improvements', anyway...they just ask for PBDs and for EA to quit the
itemfest.

> If EA were to provide a decent method of allowing crafters to obtain power
> scrolls, I'd have no problem with the requirement. As it stands, they're
> left having to pay a small fortune to someone who is probably a Doom
> scripter, or having to totally alter their play style. I don't often
> complain about the way that EA change things, but this one smells of strong
> liquor.

I completely agree, if we are restricting our talk to pure craft skills.
Inscription does not fit the criterion. Being able to use inscription
/requires/ that you have what is arguably the most versatile skill in the
game, and it has practical uses. This can easily be contrasted with pretty
much every other craft skill, which have no purpose other than creating
items and are only a drag on any template that is not a pure crafting
template.

> No one is asking the PvP'ers to abandon fighting long enough to become
> legendary tinkers, so why ask a scribe to get the skills needed to obtain a
> rare 120 magery scroll?

Funny, I could have sworn that the item-based combat system brought about
with AoS requires PVPers to either spend /a lot/ of time PvMing or Crafting
(I chose the latter, for the record) or spend even more money
to get items to be competitive with everyone else. Trammel players have had
no such setbacks, possibly excepting the recent town invasions. But then, I
am too tired of Tram/Fel debates on UOPG and Stratics to want to get into
one here.

--
Paul W. Lints UIN:25030144
pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 2:09:51 AM

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Michael Cecil wrote:

> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:47:07 -0500, Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote:
>
> >One thing that I think we should bear in mind is that these fabulous
> >new spellbooks are blessed and can never be lost. In a few months
> >they'll be cheap as dirt. No way am I blowing that kind of money on a
> >+20 mage scroll just to try to make them myself.
> >
> >Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
>
> So they have decided to make them blessed upon creation? The last I heard
> they wouldn't be. Of course I didn't know they'd take a 120 scroll
> either.

Blessed everywhere except Siege, last I heard.

--
Paul W. Lints UIN:25030144
pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 1:04:25 PM

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Rick Cortese wrote:

> Paul W. Lints wrote:
> > On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Rick Cortese wrote:
> >

> >>Paul W. Lints wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > First of all, you are lucky if you can sell gold for more than $8/million
>
> And that changes the point how so? That they only pick up $64 instead of
> $160 for cheating?
> > unless you are on Siege. Also, script looting has absolutely nothing to do
> > with PowerScrolls. It is all about controlling the spawns, which is not
> > "cheating". poor game design I grant you, but perfectly legal.
>
> This is just plain wrong. Hang out on some of the guild web pages and
> you will find 3rd party fast looters are one of the hot topics. There
> are cheaters in the guilds controlling the spawns. You just didn't think
> this through. Just because someone is in a guild that controls the spawn
> does not mean they are above using cheats and exploits to cheat their
> own guild members out of items so they can make a buck on eBay.

I thought it through. You don't loot Powerscrolls off of corpses, so script
looting has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH POWERSCROLLS. Try to think your
point through first next time. If you are talking about spawncams, believe
it or not not everyone uses them. Taking their usage as a foregone
conclusion because some people use them is flawed reasoning.

--
Paul W. Lints UIN:25030144
pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu
Anonymous
February 9, 2005 9:01:46 PM

Paul W. Lints wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005, Rick Cortese wrote:
>

>>Paul W. Lints wrote:
<snip>

> First of all, you are lucky if you can sell gold for more than $8/million

And that changes the point how so? That they only pick up $64 instead of
$160 for cheating?
> unless you are on Siege. Also, script looting has absolutely nothing to do
> with PowerScrolls. It is all about controlling the spawns, which is not
> "cheating". poor game design I grant you, but perfectly legal.

This is just plain wrong. Hang out on some of the guild web pages and
you will find 3rd party fast looters are one of the hot topics. There
are cheaters in the guilds controlling the spawns. You just didn't think
this through. Just because someone is in a guild that controls the spawn
does not mean they are above using cheats and exploits to cheat their
own guild members out of items so they can make a buck on eBay.

>>Would using a scroll obtained by a cheater make my character a cheater?
>>Damn straight IMO. Just as much as if I took a 100,000,000 gold duped by
>>someone else. Unfortunately just about every character is touched by
>>cheating one way or another. Maybe you never cheated but who knows about
>>the people buying your vendor's junk.<for instance>
>

> You do realize that a pretty damn good fraction of the money in circulation
> originated with dupe bugs and unattended scripting of buy/sell loopholes?
> If you consider getting cheated money thrice removed as cheating, you might
> want to stop acepting gold from everyone you don't know personally. Even
> then, you are pretty sure to "get your hands dirty", although at least you
> will have tried to minimize the chance.

FWIW: That was how it was done in Diablo. Only valid characters were
considered to be ones that had never accepted anything from another
character. There are people who think that way, about the game being
ruined forever, like about half the people who left UO for EQ.

It happens these are the reason why I was in favor of the skill caps
being raised and easy gold among other changes. It made the previous
standards substandard. If someone had made GM blacksmith by repeated
trying to repair and item that couldn't be repaired or GM'ed archery w/o
arrows, well now they were 20% short of what the current standard was.
Likewise who cared if someone used exploits to place a tower in Felucca
after their was Trammel?

Unfortunately OSI didn't do a good job with how you get your skill cap
raised to 120. I would have rather they just charge you $64 for an
expansion that is the only place you can gain skills above 100. i.e.
skills only gain if you have SE and are adventuring there. The way they
did it puts the money in the wrong pockets. It would have been that easy
to keep customers happy. Well, I would have complained about having to
pay for the expansion but that is my MO.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 2:42:11 AM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Rick Cortese wrote:

> No you didn't. Did you go to any of the web sites and check? The script
> looting thing and eBay is one of the reasons why groups splintered off
> into competing guilds from Baja's largest.
>
> This is just a fact. No amount of spin you put on it will change it.

No amount of spin you put on it will change the fact that POWERSCROLLS DO
NOT DROP ON CHAMP CORPSES, THEY APPEAR IN YOUR BACKPACK. Even SI could tell
you that. Script looting and Powerscrolls have absolutely no relation to
each other, no matter how often you say it. And if Baja guilds splintered
due to something that is physically impossible in game, I think even less of
them than I did before. Mind, I never was very impressed with them.

--
Paul W. Lints UIN:25030144
pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 4:39:08 AM

Paul W. Lints wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005, Rick Cortese wrote:
>

>>Paul W. Lints wrote:

>><snip>
>>
>>>First of all, you are lucky if you can sell gold for more than $8/million
>>
>>And that changes the point how so? That they only pick up $64 instead of
>> $160 for cheating?
>>
>>>unless you are on Siege. Also, script looting has absolutely nothing to do
>>>with PowerScrolls. It is all about controlling the spawns, which is not
>>>"cheating". poor game design I grant you, but perfectly legal.
>>
>>This is just plain wrong. Hang out on some of the guild web pages and
>>you will find 3rd party fast looters are one of the hot topics. There
>>are cheaters in the guilds controlling the spawns. You just didn't think
>>this through. Just because someone is in a guild that controls the spawn
>>does not mean they are above using cheats and exploits to cheat their
>>own guild members out of items so they can make a buck on eBay.
>

> I thought it through.

No you didn't. Did you go to any of the web sites and check? The script
looting thing and eBay is one of the reasons why groups splintered off
into competing guilds from Baja's largest.

This is just a fact. No amount of spin you put on it will change it.
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 2:39:00 PM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, ZoombyWoof wrote:

> Michael Cecil wrote:
> > On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:47:07 -0500, Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote:
> >

> >>One thing that I think we should bear in mind is that these fabulous
> >>new spellbooks are blessed and can never be lost. In a few months
> >>they'll be cheap as dirt. No way am I blowing that kind of money on a
> >>+20 mage scroll just to try to make them myself.
> >>
> >>Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
> >

> > So they have decided to make them blessed upon creation? The last I heard
> > they wouldn't be. Of course I didn't know they'd take a 120 scroll
> > either.
> >
> > Don't you just love when they add features for craftsmen that craftsmen
> > can't actually get? Stupid "let's add more content for exploiters" OSI.
> >
> You dont have to have 120 Magery to be able to create one. I have 110
> and so far I have managed to make one with +7 magery and a couple with
> +4-6 in meditation and evalint, and a bunch with +2 mana....

Maybe they will listen to you...I know they didn't listen to me when I said
you don't need 120 to make the books. People want to be able to make
the best, without having to do anything other than buy some pens.

--
Paul W. Lints UIN:25030144
pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu
Anonymous
February 10, 2005 11:36:47 PM

Michael Cecil wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 12:47:07 -0500, Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote:
>

>>One thing that I think we should bear in mind is that these fabulous
>>new spellbooks are blessed and can never be lost. In a few months
>>they'll be cheap as dirt. No way am I blowing that kind of money on a
>>+20 mage scroll just to try to make them myself.
>>
>>Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
>

> So they have decided to make them blessed upon creation? The last I heard
> they wouldn't be. Of course I didn't know they'd take a 120 scroll
> either.
>
> Don't you just love when they add features for craftsmen that craftsmen
> can't actually get? Stupid "let's add more content for exploiters" OSI.

You dont have to have 120 Magery to be able to create one. I have 110
and so far I have managed to make one with +7 magery and a couple with
+4-6 in meditation and evalint, and a bunch with +2 mana....

/ZW
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 12:04:53 PM

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 10:04:25 -0800, "Paul W. Lints"
<pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu> wrote:

>> This is just plain wrong. Hang out on some of the guild web pages and
>> you will find 3rd party fast looters are one of the hot topics. There
>> are cheaters in the guilds controlling the spawns. You just didn't think
>> this through. Just because someone is in a guild that controls the spawn
>> does not mean they are above using cheats and exploits to cheat their
>> own guild members out of items so they can make a buck on eBay.
>
>I thought it through. You don't loot Powerscrolls off of corpses, so script
>looting has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH POWERSCROLLS. Try to think your
>point through first next time. If you are talking about spawncams, believe
>it or not not everyone uses them. Taking their usage as a foregone
>conclusion because some people use them is flawed reasoning.

For that matter, script looting stopped being an issue a couple of
publishes ago when they put in instanced corpses.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 12:11:15 PM

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 11:39:00 -0800, "Paul W. Lints"
<pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, ZoombyWoof wrote:
>> You dont have to have 120 Magery to be able to create one. I have 110
>> and so far I have managed to make one with +7 magery and a couple with
>> +4-6 in meditation and evalint, and a bunch with +2 mana....
>>

>Maybe they will listen to you...I know they didn't listen to me when I said
>you don't need 120 to make the books. People want to be able to make
>the best, without having to do anything other than buy some pens.

That's not my objection. My complaint is that relating the crafting of
the spellbooks to your magery skill rather than your scribing skill
makes little sense. They just did it because they didn't want to have
to do the extra work involved in actually making Inscription a useful
skill. Since Inscription power scrolls don't exist they just took the
easy way out and used magery instead.

But it doesn't matter really because I'm still firmly convinced that
in a couple of months nobody will be bothering to craft these new
books because the market will been saturated with blessed/insured
magic spellbooks that can never be lost or wear out.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 5:15:07 PM

I have to agree with Both of you on this point.

<Snip>
>>People want to be able to make
>>the best, without having to do anything other than buy some pens.
<End Snip>
<Snip>
> That's not my objection. My complaint is that relating the crafting of
> the spellbooks to your magery skill rather than your scribing skill
> makes little sense. They just did it because they didn't want to have
> to do the extra work involved in actually making Inscription a useful
> skill. Since Inscription power scrolls don't exist they just took the
> easy way out and used magery instead.
>
> But it doesn't matter really because I'm still firmly convinced that
> in a couple of months nobody will be bothering to craft these new
> books because the market will been saturated with blessed/insured
> magic spellbooks that can never be lost or wear out.
<End Snip>

I know I am heading in a different direction with this. But I feel maybe a
numeric value was assigned to these books for the number of uses. True it
would be a pain in the ass as far as obtaining all the required level spells
to fill the book. But it would seriouslly give a scribe a serious amount
more work. Then the mage spell could come in hnady. Instead of decideing
what kind of attributes it gets, depends on how many uses it holds. Say
1500-2000 uses. Take a study to see how many uses you get to determin factor
if you don't like my value. If such a thing was undertakin it would make
scribing a lot more intresting to do.

BUTTTTTT!!! The problem that I would see is that yet magery would now be
"limtied by value" of mage book. It would take a serious hit in the number
of mages considering, Chiv, Bush,.etc. So why not let a scribe be able to
create all, but the number of uses depends on how high in that skill they
are. Yea, it would screw some templates. But I figure since UO likes to
screw people anyway. Why not give them one more way to do it. :p

Sticky_314
Anonymous
February 11, 2005 5:17:12 PM

> <Snip>
>>>People want to be able to make
>>>the best, without having to do anything other than buy some pens.
> <End Snip>
Whoops! Thats not the part I wanted to repost ^^^^^

>Maybe they will listen to you...I know they didn't listen to me when I said
>you don't need 120 to make the books.

Thatss the part ^^^^^

Sticky_314
Anonymous
February 12, 2005 1:20:09 AM

On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 14:15:07 -0500, "Sticky_314"
<sticky_314@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I have to agree with Both of you on this point.
>
><Snip>
>>>People want to be able to make
>>>the best, without having to do anything other than buy some pens.
><End Snip>
><Snip>
>> That's not my objection. My complaint is that relating the crafting of
>> the spellbooks to your magery skill rather than your scribing skill
>> makes little sense. They just did it because they didn't want to have
>> to do the extra work involved in actually making Inscription a useful
>> skill. Since Inscription power scrolls don't exist they just took the
>> easy way out and used magery instead.
>>
>> But it doesn't matter really because I'm still firmly convinced that
>> in a couple of months nobody will be bothering to craft these new
>> books because the market will been saturated with blessed/insured
>> magic spellbooks that can never be lost or wear out.
><End Snip>
>
>I know I am heading in a different direction with this. But I feel maybe a
>numeric value was assigned to these books for the number of uses. True it
>would be a pain in the ass as far as obtaining all the required level spells
>to fill the book. But it would seriouslly give a scribe a serious amount
>more work. Then the mage spell could come in hnady. Instead of decideing
>what kind of attributes it gets, depends on how many uses it holds. Say
>1500-2000 uses. Take a study to see how many uses you get to determin factor
>if you don't like my value. If such a thing was undertakin it would make
>scribing a lot more intresting to do.

That would have been a great idea. Doing that would have made these
fancy new books a real ongoing benefit to the scribe craft instead of
another flash in the pan novelty item like the trophy deeds were for
carpenters.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
Anonymous
February 21, 2005 6:06:58 PM

Brian C. wrote:

> "Ghosty Twofish" <ghosty@gmail.com.deleteme> wrote in message
> > vince garcia wrote:
> >
> >> I saw that a new craftable will be a spellbook with enchanted
> >> properties, so I'm wondering: how do you make a spell book? Or is
> that >> not possible rt now?
> >
> > Not possible right now, in Publish 30 you can do it using
> > Inscription. Your level of Magery determins the strength of the
> > properties.
> >

> > --
> > ~ Ghosty
> > I Awoke In Britannia! http://britannia.blogspot.com
>
> On test center I also got better results while wearing a luck suit.
> For those of you that still hold any faith in those things.

A luck suit? Really ... I'll test that, although it makes no sense.
Never know what these devs are going to do to these new systems. ;-)

~ Ghosty
I Awoke In Britannia! http://britannia.blogspot.com
Anonymous
March 1, 2005 2:47:15 AM

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, Ghosty Twofish wrote:

> Brian C. wrote:
>

> > "Ghosty Twofish" <ghosty@gmail.com.deleteme> wrote in message

> > that >> not possible rt now?
> > >
> > > Not possible right now, in Publish 30 you can do it using
> > > Inscription. Your level of Magery determins the strength of the
> > > properties.
> > >

> > > --
> > > ~ Ghosty
> > > I Awoke In Britannia! http://britannia.blogspot.com
> >
> > On test center I also got better results while wearing a luck suit.
> > For those of you that still hold any faith in those things.
>
> A luck suit? Really ... I'll test that, although it makes no sense.
> Never know what these devs are going to do to these new systems. ;-)

For kicks I tried out an 1100 luck suit. Didn't notice a marked increase in
anything, really. Makes sense, though, as Devs have to go out of their way
to add luck affecting something, and thus far the only field they have
bothered to have luck affect is loot distribution.

--
!