UATA100 Card Problem

Indijones

Distinguished
May 31, 2002
I just changed the configuration of my computer from P3 733 MHz to P4 2.4 GHz. In the previous motherboard, I was using an ATA100 card to drive the HDDs and the IDE1 port of the motherboard to drive the CDROM and CDRW. The new motherboard (Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000Pro2) has IDE ports with ATA100. So I guess I don't need to use the ATA100 card anymore. But there's a problem. If I connect the HDD directly to the motherboard, the system starts resetting before entering Windows! At present, I'm running the system with the ATA100 card installed. Could anyone please tell me how will I be able to remove the card so that the HDDs can be run from the IDE1 port of the motherboard. Thanks in advance!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You must be running Windows XP.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You're going to have to reinstall it. It probably loads up the XP loading screen for a few seconds and reboots? This is part of XP's piracy prevention, to prevent people from copying drives to other machines.

You might be able to get away with a refresh install, go through the normal install menues after booting from CD until it ask you. Don't hit "r" for the recovery console.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Indijones

Distinguished
May 31, 2002
It doesn't load the Windows loading screen. After the Bios information screen, a blue screen with messages appear for a fraction of a second and then a black screen with the message says that there was some hardware problem or problem with Windows and asks to contact the dealer if the problem persists and blah....blah........
and in the end it asks if I would like to boot in safe mode, normal mode,..etc. Whether I choose any of them, it returns to the Bios screen.
Isn't there any other way except fresh installation? If I choose to do a new installation, Windows loading screen will ask to choose between the two installations and installing on the same directory may cause trouble. Does this mean a clean FORMAT? This is the last thing that I would like to do.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You can try booting off the CD and doing a repair install from it like I described. If that doesn't work...we won't talk about that just yet.

Indijones

Distinguished
May 31, 2002
Well I thought that formatting would be the best choice and I did it. Even after that I had a problem but that's been corrected. I have 2 HDDs (c: & d:). c: is ATA100 80 GB and d: is an older one ATA66 12 GB. I was using d: as a storage space. I removed the card, formatted c: and installed WinXP over it. c: and d: both were connected to the IDE1 slot of the motherboard. After the installation, when windows restarted it gave a message that NTLDR is missing. It got corrected after I removed d:. You were right about the theft prevention of HDDs in WinXP. hanks for your advice :)