hard drive not detected in My Computer

My husband reformatted and partitioned our 80G with Killdisk. (We have been
having all sorts of various crashes that are yet to be determined...) We
moved everything we wanted to save over to our 10G slave drive. Nothing was
changed physically within the computer. CMOS detects the both drives, System
Properties shows both drives, however, we cannot see the slave drive in My
Computer, so we have no way to access this....any ideas on fixing this?

Lisa, usually rt clicking MyComputer>select Manage>Disk Management>rt
click on the drive and assign it a drive letter
will get you going.
"lisa_sellers" <lisasellers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My husband reformatted and partitioned our 80G with Killdisk. (We have
> been
> having all sorts of various crashes that are yet to be determined...) We
> moved everything we wanted to save over to our 10G slave drive. Nothing
> was
> changed physically within the computer. CMOS detects the both drives,
> System
> Properties shows both drives, however, we cannot see the slave drive in My
> Computer, so we have no way to access this....any ideas on fixing this?

I got the drive assigned. It was unallocated and basic according to the disk
manager, There is currently no file system selected (my other one is NTFS) I
didn't format it due to it being my backup. Do I need to assign a file system
to the drive?

"Rich Barry" wrote:

> Lisa, usually rt clicking MyComputer>select Manage>Disk Management>rt
> click on the drive and assign it a drive letter
> will get you going.
> "lisa_sellers" <lisasellers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > My husband reformatted and partitioned our 80G with Killdisk. (We have
> > been
> > having all sorts of various crashes that are yet to be determined...) We
> > moved everything we wanted to save over to our 10G slave drive. Nothing
> > was
> > changed physically within the computer. CMOS detects the both drives,
> > System
> > Properties shows both drives, however, we cannot see the slave drive in My
> > Computer, so we have no way to access this....any ideas on fixing this?

If disk manager doesn't see a file system on the drive ... then no, don't
assign one if there is supposedly one already there.

My guess would be that either the drive was accidentally formatted, or there
is 3rd party disk manager software installed on that drive (i.e. Goback
being the most popular, and used on many aging Gateway computers by
default,) and Goback definitely hides the partition from Windows when
suddenly it's used as a slave drive...

You should be able to easily determine if the drive used to be your primary
drive, (and likely it's still bootable?) by setting this as your boot drive
in the BIOS and see what happens... if it does boot and the first thing you
see is Goback, you will be prompted to press space bar if you're having
problems... do that, and choose the option to disable Goback. Likewise, if
there is some different disk management software instead, there should be an
option of some sort to enter it's configuration or disable it.

Other than that, you can try to boot to a Windows boot disk, preferably
Win98/ME, and then see if there are files on the drive - if so, we can go
from there; if you don't see any partition on the hard drive, remember
Goback will also hide the partition from boot disks unless you boot to the
hard drive containint Goback first, then hit the space bar and tell Goback
to boot to a floppy or cd. A similar process may be available for other 3rd
party disk managers.

If all else fails, you may need to hunt for some data recovery software :\
but anything else escapes my mind at this late hour. Good luck!

>I got the drive assigned. It was unallocated and basic according to the
>disk
> manager, There is currently no file system selected (my other one is NTFS)
> didn't format it due to it being my backup. Do I need to assign a file
> system
> to the drive?
>
> "Rich Barry" wrote:
>
>> Lisa, usually rt clicking MyComputer>select Manage>Disk Management>rt
>> click on the drive and assign it a drive letter
>> will get you going.
>> "lisa_sellers" <lisasellers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My husband reformatted and partitioned our 80G with Killdisk. (We have
>> > been
>> > having all sorts of various crashes that are yet to be determined...)
>> > We
>> > moved everything we wanted to save over to our 10G slave drive. Nothing
>> > was
>> > changed physically within the computer. CMOS detects the both drives,
>> > System
>> > Properties shows both drives, however, we cannot see the slave drive in
>> > My
>> > Computer, so we have no way to access this....any ideas on fixing this?

either that, or the hard drive could be ... dying (or already resting in
peace...)

"lisa_sellers" <lisasellers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I got the drive assigned. It was unallocated and basic according to the
>disk
> manager, There is currently no file system selected (my other one is NTFS)
> didn't format it due to it being my backup. Do I need to assign a file
> system
> to the drive?
>
> "Rich Barry" wrote:
>
>> Lisa, usually rt clicking MyComputer>select Manage>Disk Management>rt
>> click on the drive and assign it a drive letter
>> will get you going.
>> "lisa_sellers" <lisasellers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > My husband reformatted and partitioned our 80G with Killdisk. (We have
>> > been
>> > having all sorts of various crashes that are yet to be determined...)
>> > We
>> > moved everything we wanted to save over to our 10G slave drive. Nothing
>> > was
>> > changed physically within the computer. CMOS detects the both drives,
>> > System
>> > Properties shows both drives, however, we cannot see the slave drive in
>> > My
>> > Computer, so we have no way to access this....any ideas on fixing this?

Lisa, absolutely. In order for the drive to be of any use it's has to
have a file system fat or ntfs. I am not familiar with Killdisk
but did you have the 10G drive connected as slave when you used Killdisk?
Try moving the slave drive to the Secondary
IDE channel (Motherboard Connector) as Master. Don't forget to adjust
the hard drive setting from slave to master.

"lisa_sellers" <lisasellers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> My husband reformatted and partitioned our 80G with Killdisk. (We have
> been
> having all sorts of various crashes that are yet to be determined...) We
> moved everything we wanted to save over to our 10G slave drive. Nothing
> was
> changed physically within the computer. CMOS detects the both drives,
> System
> Properties shows both drives, however, we cannot see the slave drive in My
> Computer, so we have no way to access this....any ideas on fixing this?

Why does the drive need to be master?

Lisa,
You may have to take ownership of the drive.
Ron Sommer

"Rich Barry" <rbarryNot@socal.rr.com> wrote in message
> Lisa, absolutely. In order for the drive to be of any use it's has to
> have a file system fat or ntfs. I am not familiar with Killdisk
> but did you have the 10G drive connected as slave when you used
> Killdisk? Try moving the slave drive to the Secondary
> IDE channel (Motherboard Connector) as Master. Don't forget to adjust
> the hard drive setting from slave to master.
>
> "lisa_sellers" <lisasellers@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> My husband reformatted and partitioned our 80G with Killdisk. (We have
>> been
>> having all sorts of various crashes that are yet to be determined...) We
>> moved everything we wanted to save over to our 10G slave drive. Nothing
>> was
>> changed physically within the computer. CMOS detects the both drives,
>> System
>> Properties shows both drives, however, we cannot see the slave drive in
>> My
>> Computer, so we have no way to access this....any ideas on fixing this?

TRENDING THREADS