new player questions

ok, i just started playing uo and i've done 2 or 3 starter quests but i
can't find any new ones. this is a stupid question but what is there to
do (or a better way to ask, what should i do next?). i'm not sure what
to do to get started. in most mmorgp's, you kill low level creatures
and work your way up. this doesn't appear to be the mode of play in uo.
thanks for help. also, if there are new player guides out there on the
web, would appreciate if you could point me in their direction. (not
the new player guides like there is on the uo website that don't say
much about what to do). Thanks.

> ok, i just started playing uo and i've done 2 or 3 starter quests but i
> can't find any new ones. this is a stupid question but what is there to
> do (or a better way to ask, what should i do next?). i'm not sure what
> to do to get started. in most mmorgp's, you kill low level creatures
> and work your way up. this doesn't appear to be the mode of play in uo.
> thanks for help. also, if there are new player guides out there on the
> web, would appreciate if you could point me in their direction. (not
> the new player guides like there is on the uo website that don't say
> much about what to do). Thanks.

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

You should try this site. http://uo.stratics.com/ It pretty much has
everything you could possibly want to know about UO along with more
discussion areas to ask questions about stuff.

Sticky_314

"EVD" <vondee@kingwoodcable.com> wrote in message
> ok, i just started playing uo and i've done 2 or 3 starter quests but i
> can't find any new ones. this is a stupid question but what is there to
> do (or a better way to ask, what should i do next?). i'm not sure what
> to do to get started. in most mmorgp's, you kill low level creatures
> and work your way up. this doesn't appear to be the mode of play in uo.
> thanks for help. also, if there are new player guides out there on the
> web, would appreciate if you could point me in their direction. (not
> the new player guides like there is on the uo website that don't say
> much about what to do). Thanks.

There aren't many starter quests, but there's a short list below.

You're right about the start low and work up method - it's true to form
here, assuming that you're playing a fighter-type character. If you're
playing a crafter, then, no - you need to work your crafting skill as high
as you want it by repeatedly making items. There are lots of ways you can
play - crafter, monster hunter, treasure hunter, or you can just learn to
talk like an idiot and go bash other players. For some reason the talking
like an idiot bit seems to be mandatory if you want to bash other players. I
never did understand that.

Anyway, assuming you're playing some form of warrior, and are sick of
quests, try starting off by fighting a few low-end monsters and animals.
That would be mongbats, headless, cows, goats, sheep, wolves, and maybe the
occasional spider or bear. Once you can manage those, work up to nastier
things, like lizardmen, ogres and trolls. Avoid wisps for the time being.
Then move up slowly to the bigger monsters. Once you can handle a daemon or
three without dying, you'll probably have a good idea what sort of monsters
are around, and what you can handle. That's probably also the point to try
PvP (player vs player) combat - if you want to.

If you're not playing on Siege or Mugen, read up on insurance, but at first,
it's probably cheaper to wear things that you find lying on the floor
outside banks, instead of wasting a ton of gold insuring a low-end suit.
You'll pay 600gp per piece of armour to insure it, as opposed to the two
minutes running around banks to pick up other people's left-overs. Of
course, once you get better, and have something worth keeping, you'll
probably want to insure it!

Good luck!

A by no means complete list of quests:

Newbie Quest: This will depend on the type of character you start with,
there are several, all very similar in nature. Only available if you choose
one of the standard character templates (blacksmith, paladin, ninja, etc),
not the advanced character design. These usually involve killing a couple of
low-level creatures, finding a few items, and interacting with one or two
non-player characters.

Collector's Quest: There's a guy in the bar in Haven (Elwood McCarrin), who
you can talk to (click on him, select 'talk'. He will send you here, there
and everywhere, doing various weird tasks. At the end, you get a piece of an
obsidian statue. Get ten, and you have a full statue. Not a bad way to get
to know the lands. Not available on Siege or Mugen.

Naturalist Quest: A naturalist, usually found in one or more of the scribe
shops, will send you to study five solen nests. This is usually a good
jump-start for the solen quests, which will get you nice items such as a bag
of sending and the powder to charge it. Bags of sending will send almost
anything that you are carrying straight back to the bank.

Hag Quest:
There's an old woman in the forest somewhere between Skara Brae and Yew, who
will also send you all over the place, collecting things. From this quest,
you can get a bag of reagents, a weapon, a map, a cauldron, and some of her
homemade moonshine. If you're drunk when you get back to her with
everything, you also get some hangover cure.

There are others, and the event moderators (EMs) on whatever shard you're
playing will do one-off events from time to time as well.

"EVD" <vondee@kingwoodcable.com> wrote in message
> ok, i just started playing uo and i've done 2 or 3 starter quests but i
> can't find any new ones. this is a stupid question but what is there to
> do (or a better way to ask, what should i do next?). i'm not sure what
> to do to get started. in most mmorgp's, you kill low level creatures
> and work your way up. this doesn't appear to be the mode of play in uo.

In UO you basically decide what you want to do for a living to pay your way
through life, be it shearing sheep or exploring the world to see whats there
and living off the land (monster hunting), and then try it out.

There is a lot of territory out there to travel, I've been here 4 1/2 years
and still not really seen it all. This world we walk when RL lets us has a
lot going for it. No matter what mood your in when you sit down and log in,
there is probably something to do in UO that will fit it. :)

I have six characters (thanks to the 7th Anniversay Edition) that are as
follows.

For more laid back moods I have a crafter who has Blacksmithing, Tailoring,
Carpentry, Tinkering, Fletching, Alchemy, and enough Music to let him craft
instruments if he wears jewelry to boost the skill to 45. I can sit and make
things to put on my player-run vendors to sell, and he can make almost
everything it's possible to craft. He has just the magery skill to let him
travel, heal, and run his mage-skill weapons (a smith's hammer and a
crossbow). He's the old coot of my bunch.

His daughter does the Inscription, wood gathering, fishing, and cooking. She
has the magery skills to defend herself with if she runs into something
thats hungry while she's logging or fishing. A character to play if I want a
chance of combat during play.

The Tamer character is probably the most powerful class in the game when the
skills are near GMed. You can have a dragon with hundreds of hit points
fight for you and take the monsters damage and do all the fighting for you.
You just keep your dragon healthy by bandaging it. You need to do very
little fighting yourself in most cases, but it can get hairy at times when
the baddie locks onto you instead of your dragon <g>.

The Bard is another powerful class. He can make monsters fight each other or
stand peacefully while your busy fighting something else, or just watching
the other two fight while you brew a cup of tea over your campfire. My bard
has magery skills for fighting and usually gets into the combat
whole-heartedly. You can hunt with this class while fighting a lot yourself,
or very little.

The Treasure hunter finds & reads a map and then goes out and digs it up.
It's as easy as it sounds except for the guardian monsters that spawn when
the chest comes up, and occasionally as you take an item out of the chest.
That first batch is four or five monsters that all want your bloody hide and
in that condition. Having five spellcasting monsters all attack at once can
really ruin your day, let me tell you.. :) The loot is good from the chests
and the lockpicking/magery combination of skills lets you open chests in
dungeons as well. He has the full set of magery skills for fighting and the
mining skill to let him stand back 5 steps as he digs up the chest. That
head start can save your life. He also mines for ore to supply the craftsman
with ingots of metal if I want to do a more relaxed play session.

The last character is a Healer/Mage. He has elder magery and healing skills
with items and the Focus skill to give him more mana. Of my six
spellslingers, this one is PvP (player vs player in Felucca). He can
dedicate all his mana to commiting mayhem on his opponet while healing
himself with bandages. PvM (player vs Monster) he's not as good in a fight.
Mages can't hunt most paragon's solo since they can't do enough damage over
time. Once a mage has to wait for mana to regenerate, the monsters healing
back to max hit points. Non-paragons he can kill, it just takes a while.
Particularly when you have to deal with the side spawn that joins in the
fight while your moving around trying to avoid being lunch.

The two most powerful classes are the Tamer and the Paladin. I've seen
paladins do 200+ hp of damage to my 19. I feel like an iguana fighting
beside Godzilla, but I like the versatility of the mages spells. All a
matter of taste.

Try various skills and see what you like. Your not locked into your choices.
You can re-distribute your 700 skill points any time you want to, all it
takes is time. Once you have all 700 skill points used, you just set the
ones you don't want to decrease and has you work to raise another skill,
those skills will go down. This is done by setting the triangle icons to the
right of each skill on the skill list to up, down, or the padlock to lock
that skill where it's at.

Wander the world and see what you think. Just stay clear of Fel until you
are *very* good.

Hunt, kill or die.

quests are limited,.

party with soemone that looks trust worthy or
better yet join a guild.

"EVD" <vondee@kingwoodcable.com> wrote in message
> ok, i just started playing uo and i've done 2 or 3 starter quests but i
> can't find any new ones. this is a stupid question but what is there to
> do (or a better way to ask, what should i do next?). i'm not sure what
> to do to get started. in most mmorgp's, you kill low level creatures
> and work your way up. this doesn't appear to be the mode of play in uo.
> thanks for help. also, if there are new player guides out there on the
> web, would appreciate if you could point me in their direction. (not
> the new player guides like there is on the uo website that don't say
> much about what to do). Thanks.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----