Changed Motherboard and formatted C:/drive and now need to..

June 8, 2005 11:10:02 PM

This is on my daughters Computer but it refuses to let her re-register.
Should she de-register first? and how does she do that?
June 8, 2005 11:21:06 PM

Sorry all, I mean it refuses to allow her to activate Win XP (Not register)

"Norm" wrote:

> This is on my daughters Computer but it refuses to let her re-register.
> Should she de-register first? and how does she do that?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 9, 2005 12:24:03 AM

what are you talking about? If you have the OEM version of windows it is
tied to the MOBO and you may not be able to use it!

Wayne

"Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is on my daughters Computer but it refuses to let her re-register.
> Should she de-register first? and how does she do that?
a b V Motherboard
June 9, 2005 12:24:04 AM

In news:L4idnR5srvhANTrfRVn-uw@comcast.com,
wayne <komon@dgdg.sss> typed:

> what are you talking about? If you have the OEM version of
> windows
> it is tied to the MOBO and you may not be able to use it!

A clarification here: this is far from always true. *Some* OEM
version, not all by any means, are BIOS-locked to the
motherboard.

Please reply to the newsgroup

> Wayne
>
> "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> This is on my daughters Computer but it refuses to let her
>> re-register. Should she de-register first? and how does she do
>> that?
June 9, 2005 8:28:16 AM

Ah the five second activation joys! Man, this is going to be a real PR
headache for MS.

LOL!

Norm, you will have to use the phone in activation method.

Alias

"Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This is on my daughters Computer but it refuses to let her re-register.
> Should she de-register first? and how does she do that?
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 9, 2005 8:28:17 AM

no she probably can't register if it was an OEM copy the license is tied to
the motherboard that is one of the reasons why OEM is cheaper

Wayne

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
> Ah the five second activation joys! Man, this is going to be a real PR
> headache for MS.
>
> LOL!
>
> Norm, you will have to use the phone in activation method.
>
> Alias
>

> "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> This is on my daughters Computer but it refuses to let her re-register.
>> Should she de-register first? and how does she do that?

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 9, 2005 9:13:40 AM

> In news:L4idnR5srvhANTrfRVn-uw@comcast.com,
> wayne <komon@dgdg.sss> typed:
>
> > what are you talking about? If you have the OEM version of
> > windows
> > it is tied to the MOBO and you may not be able to use it!
>

> A clarification here: this is far from always true. *Some* OEM
> version, not all by any means, are BIOS-locked to the
> motherboard.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

> > Wayne

Believe, in the case of bios locked versions, the XP installation will not
occur. I gather from the post that has indeed happened.

> > "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >> This is on my daughters Computer but it refuses to let her
> >> re-register. Should she de-register first? and how does she do
> >> that?

June 9, 2005 3:58:56 PM

"wayne" <komon@dgdg.sss> wrote in message
> what are you talking about? If you have the OEM version of windows it is
> tied to the MOBO and you may not be able to use it!
>
> Wayne

Horsepucky. Read the EULA. It says "one computer" and "hardware". Nowhere in
the EULA does it say MOBO or "motherboard".

Alias

> "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> This is on my daughters Computer but it refuses to let her re-register.
>> Should she de-register first? and how does she do that?

June 9, 2005 3:59:38 PM

> no she probably can't register if it was an OEM copy the license is tied
> to the motherboard that is one of the reasons why OEM is cheaper
>
> Wayne

Generic OEMs are NOT tied to the motherboard.

Alias

> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>> Ah the five second activation joys! Man, this is going to be a real PR
>> headache for MS.
>>
>> LOL!
>>
>> Norm, you will have to use the phone in activation method.
>>
>> Alias
>>

>> "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>> This is on my daughters Computer but it refuses to let her re-register.
>>> Should she de-register first? and how does she do that?

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 9, 2005 10:02:20 PM

This is from Microsoft about OEM licenses

The End User License Agreement (EULA) for OEM software, including Windows
XP, states that the software is licensed as a single integrated product in
connection with the hardware. However, it's important to remember that the
end user cannot see nor accept the electronic EULA until the software is
installed on a fully-assembled computer system. So, even though the
original OEM software unit may have been distributed with a component, like
a hard drive, it isn't until the software is installed on a fully-assembled
computer system that it becomes "married" to the hardware.

In general, OEM software may not be transferred from one system to another
system. However, the computer system can certainly be updated with new
components without the requirement of a new software license. The only
exception to this is the motherboard 1. If the motherboard is replaced 2,
the computer system is deemed "new" and a new license would be required.
Other PC components may be upgraded, including a hard drive. Though if the
hard drive 3 is replaced/upgraded, the operating system must first be
removed from the old hard drive. To restate: the operating system is
"married" to the computer system on which it is originally installed.

If you haven't already, please take a moment to review a comprehensive
group of OEM Licensing Questions and Answers which are specific to system
builders:
https://oem.microsoft.com/worldwide/514341.asp.

> "wayne" <komon@dgdg.sss> wrote in message
>> no she probably can't register if it was an OEM copy the license is tied
>> to the motherboard that is one of the reasons why OEM is cheaper
>>
>> Wayne
>
> Generic OEMs are NOT tied to the motherboard.
>
> Alias
>>

>> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>>> Ah the five second activation joys! Man, this is going to be a real PR
>>> headache for MS.
>>>
>>> LOL!
>>>
>>> Norm, you will have to use the phone in activation method.
>>>
>>> Alias
>>>

>>> "Norm" <Norm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

begin 666 note.gif
M1TE&.#EA"@`*`+/_`(V,C?__S/_,`/\%!?]=7<# P-/3T\# P(6%A0("`@``
M`````````````````````"'Y! $```4`+ `````*``H`0 0H$,AI#AD@Z)U*
AR1HB)(8'<N,7&EJG;JV P4GZ&@D2(";<>HF@,.B)```[
`
end
June 10, 2005 6:11:54 AM

> This is from Microsoft about OEM licenses
>
> The End User License Agreement (EULA) for OEM software, including Windows
> XP, states that the software is licensed as a single integrated product in
> connection with the hardware. However, it's important to remember that
> the end user cannot see nor accept the electronic EULA until the software
> is installed on a fully-assembled computer system. So, even though the
> original OEM software unit may have been distributed with a component,
> like a hard drive, it isn't until the software is installed on a
> fully-assembled computer system that it becomes "married" to the hardware.
>
> In general, OEM software may not be transferred from one system to another
> system. However, the computer system can certainly be updated with new
> components without the requirement of a new software license. The only
> exception to this is the motherboard 1. If the motherboard is replaced
> 2, the computer system is deemed "new" and a new license would be
> required. Other PC components may be upgraded, including a hard drive.
> Though if the hard drive 3 is replaced/upgraded, the operating system
> must first be removed from the old hard drive. To restate: the operating
> system is "married" to the computer system on which it is originally
> installed.
>
> If you haven't already, please take a moment to review a comprehensive
> group of OEM Licensing Questions and Answers which are specific to system
> builders:
> https://oem.microsoft.com/worldwide/514341.asp.
>
> Wayne

What's that got to do with a person buying a *generic* OEM? My EULAs don't
say "motherboard" in Spanish or English. They both say "hardware" and
"computer" only. I am not a "system builder". With the way electronics goes
today, a motherboard bought a year ago is out of date. For example, I have
one sitting over there that will not take a graphic AGP 8x card, only 4x.
Try to get a 4x graphic card nowadays. If one upgrades one's motherboard,
it's still the same computer, now isn't it?

Alias

> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>>
>> "wayne" <komon@dgdg.sss> wrote in message
>>> no she probably can't register if it was an OEM copy the license is tied
>>> to the motherboard that is one of the reasons why OEM is cheaper
>>>
>>> Wayne
>>
>> Generic OEMs are NOT tied to the motherboard.
>>
>> Alias
>>>

>>> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2005 6:11:55 AM

nope the "computer is made up of several components MS allows you to change
these components but they all connect to the motherboard. That is the one
component that you cannot change with an OEM license. You keep mentioning
"generic"

There is no such thing. Certain large companies purchase a license from
Microsoft to install XP on their computers. They can if they choose tie that
copy to their hardware. All other versions are OEM and are supposed to be
sold as part of a system

Perhaps this from the Microsoft web site will help to explain.

I am pulling this from the system builder site

Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware components on your
customer's computer and the end user may maintain the license for the
original Microsoft® OEM operating system software, with the exception of an
upgrade or replacement of the motherboard.
An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new personal
computer" to which Microsoft® OEM operating system software cannot be
transferred from another computer. If the motherboard is upgraded or
replaced, for reasons other than a defect, then a new computer has been
created and the license of new operating system software is required.
If the motherboard is replaced because it is defective, you do NOT need to
acquire a new operating system license for the PC.
The reason for this licensing rule primarily relates to the end-user license
agreement (EULA) and the support of the software covered by that EULA. The
EULA is a set of usage rights granted to the end-user by the PC manufacturer
and relates only to rights for that software as installed on that particular
PC. The System Builder is required to support the software on that
individual PC. Understanding that end users, over time, upgrade their PC
with different components, Microsoft needed to have one base component "left
standing" that would still define that original PC. Since the motherboard
contains the CPU and is the "heart and soul" of the PC, when the motherboard
is replaced (for reasons other than defect) a new PC is essentially created.
The original System Builder, therefore, can not be expected to support this
new PC that they in effect, did not manufacture.

OEM copies for "retail " sale by themselve are pirated. they are supposed to
be sold with hardware IE a system

License Types
Microsoft offers four ways for partners to acquire licenses: Volume
Licensing for organizations, original equipment manufacturers, independent
software vendors, and Full Packaged Product.
a.. Volume Licensing for Organizations
Volume Licensing programs offers substantial cost savings to customers
purchasing five or more licenses.
b.. Independent Software Vendors
Independent software vendors (ISVs) allow companies that develop software
solutions to embed Microsoft software with their own applications to create
and sell complete, integrated solutions.
c.. Original Equipment Manufacturers
Products licensed through an original equipment manufacturer (OEM), such
as Microsoft Windows operating systems, come installed when your partners
purchase a new computer.
d.. Full Packaged Product (Retail)
Full Packaged Product (FPP) refers to shrink-wrapped boxes of licensed
product that your partners can purchase in a local retail store or from any
local software retailer.

Because Volume Licensing offers business opportunities for you to pass
savings and value along to your customers, the Microsoft for Partners
program and website focuses primarily on Volume Licensing programs.
Volume Licensing Overview
How Can Volume Licensing Help Build Your Business?
Microsoft's licensing programs reduce the cost of software acquisition,
software licensing management, and technology development for your
customers. The various programs are customized for different business types,
such as corporate versus academic, and offer programs for different business
needs, such as small business perpetual versus non-perpetual licenses.
Plus, with the added benefit of Software Assurance at each level of the
Volume Licensing programs, your customers can gain improved:
a.. Productivity: Acquire the latest software automatically, spread
payments annually, and extend the workplace to the home.
b.. Support: Access resources that help keep business systems running
smoothly.
c.. Tools: Deploy software efficiently, monitor errors, and access
Microsoft Windows -based source code.
d.. Training: Bring employees up to speed quickly on new products and keep
IT staff up-to-date on the latest technical information.
All Licensing Programs
Use the following table to find the licensing programs and resources that
are right for your clients.
Volume Licensing Programs
Microsoft Software License Type Customer Size Customer Type
Customer Profile
Software Assurance Available with all license types Five or
more PCs Corporate, academic, charity, government Designed for use with all
licenses, Software Assurance gives customers automatic access to new
technology and provides productivity benefits, support, tools, and training
to help deploy and use software efficiently.
Software Advisor Available with Open License Value Five to 250
PCs Corporate, government As a Microsoft Software Advisor your organization
will be rewarded for its assistance to small and medium business customers
("End User Customers") in assessing Microsoft technology and acquiring
Microsoft Open License Value Software.
Open License 6.0 Open Business
Open Volume Open Value *
Multi Year Open**
Open Subscription Licensing (OSL) ** Five or more PCs Corporate,
academic, charity, government Designed for customers who desire an easy,
one-time transaction process with the flexibility of acquiring licenses from
a broad reseller channel, with the ability to spread payments annually.
Select License 6.0 Company-wide Option 250 or more PCs
Corporate, academic, charity, government Designed for medium, large, and
multinational organizations with mixed Microsoft license requirements,
decentralized purchasing, and the ability to forecast purchases.
Enterprise Agreement 6.0 Enterprise Agreement
Enterprise Subscription Agreement 250 or more PCs Corporate
Designed for medium, large, and multinational companies that are interested
in standardizing their enterprise and value the benefits of centralized
purchasing.
Academic Licensing All license types No minimum Academic
institutions of various sizes Four Volume Licensing solutions that are
designed to meet the specific needs of education institutions.

Independent Software Vendor Program
Microsoft Software License Type Customer Size Customer Type Customer
Profile
ISV Royalty Licensing Embedded License No Minimum Corporate
and Academic The Microsoft ISV Royalty License Agreement is a Microsoft
licensing program intended for Independent Software Vendors (ISVs) who wish
to distribute Microsoft software along with their commercial business
applications.

Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) Program
Microsoft Software License Type Customer Size Customer Type Customer
Profile
System Builder N/A No minimum Corporate Designed for system
builders who want to install OEM-licensed software on their systems.

Retail
Microsoft Software License Type Customer Size Customer Type Customer
Profile
Full Packaged Product No minimum Consumers Designed for
single-application Microsoft buyers.

"Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
news:o 217CEVbFHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

> "wayne" <komon@dgdg.sss> wrote in message
>> This is from Microsoft about OEM licenses
>>
>> The End User License Agreement (EULA) for OEM software, including Windows
>> XP, states that the software is licensed as a single integrated product
>> in connection with the hardware. However, it's important to remember
>> that the end user cannot see nor accept the electronic EULA until the
>> software is installed on a fully-assembled computer system. So, even
>> though the original OEM software unit may have been distributed with a
>> component, like a hard drive, it isn't until the software is installed on
>> a fully-assembled computer system that it becomes "married" to the
>> hardware.
>>
>> In general, OEM software may not be transferred from one system to
>> another system. However, the computer system can certainly be updated
>> with new components without the requirement of a new software license.
>> The only exception to this is the motherboard 1. If the motherboard is
>> replaced 2, the computer system is deemed "new" and a new license would
>> be required. Other PC components may be upgraded, including a hard drive.
>> Though if the hard drive 3 is replaced/upgraded, the operating system
>> must first be removed from the old hard drive. To restate: the operating
>> system is "married" to the computer system on which it is originally
>> installed.
>>
>> If you haven't already, please take a moment to review a comprehensive
>> group of OEM Licensing Questions and Answers which are specific to system
>> builders:
>> https://oem.microsoft.com/worldwide/514341.asp.
>>
>> Wayne
>
> What's that got to do with a person buying a *generic* OEM? My EULAs don't
> say "motherboard" in Spanish or English. They both say "hardware" and
> "computer" only. I am not a "system builder". With the way electronics
> goes today, a motherboard bought a year ago is out of date. For example, I
> have one sitting over there that will not take a graphic AGP 8x card, only
> 4x. Try to get a 4x graphic card nowadays. If one upgrades one's
> motherboard, it's still the same computer, now isn't it?
>
> Alias
>>
>> "Alias" <aka@[notme]maskedandanonymous.org> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "wayne" <komon@dgdg.sss> wrote in message

>>> Generic OEMs are NOT tied to the motherboard.
>>>
>>> Alias

Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
June 10, 2005 6:11:56 AM

In news:CbSdnc_k0c0tQzXfRVn-3g@comcast.com,
wayne <komon@dgdg.sss> typed:

> nope the "computer is made up of several components MS allows
> you to
> change these components but they all connect to the
> motherboard. That is the one component that you cannot change
> with an OEM license.

What you can not change with an OEM license is the "computer."
The Microsoft OEM EULA does not precisely define exactly what
constitutes the "computer." Considering that the computer is the
motherboard certainly makes sense, and that's a view that's
supported by many people, but it's very far from clear that
that's corect, or that that viewpoint would be upheld in a court
of law.

> You keep mentioning "generic"
>
> There is no such thing.

Of course there is. A "generic" OEM CD is one that has not been
customized by a particular OEM. It's identical to the Full retail
CD except that it can not do an upgrade installation. And its
license of course is different.

> Certain large companies purchase a license
> from Microsoft to install XP on their computers. They can if
> they
> choose tie that copy to their hardware. All other versions are
> OEM
> and are supposed to be sold as part of a system

Not true. Generic OEM versions are widely available, and can
legally be bought without being sold as part of a system. The
requirement is that they have to be sold with a piece of
non-peripheral hardware. Almost any piece of hardware qualifies,
and from a practical standpoint, anyone can easily buy one of
these at any time, by spending only an extra few dollars for that
piece of hardware.

> Perhaps this from the Microsoft web site will help to explain.
>
> I am pulling this from the system builder site

Yes, I'm aware of what it says on the System Builder site.
However, this is not the EULA, and doesn't bind the purchaser of
an OEM version. Only the EULA binds the purchaser, and the EULA
does *not* define what constitutes the "same computer."

Please reply to the newsgroup

> Generally, you may upgrade or replace all of the hardware
> components
> on your customer's computer and the end user may maintain the
> license
> for the original Microsoft® OEM operating system software, with
> the
> exception of an upgrade or replacement of the motherboard.
> An upgrade of the motherboard is considered to result in a "new
> personal computer" to which Microsoft® OEM operating system
> software
> cannot be transferred from another computer.
June 10, 2005 6:33:46 AM

"wayne" <komon@dgdg.sss> wrote in message
> nope the "computer is made up of several components MS allows you to
> change these components but they all connect to the motherboard. That is
> the one component that you cannot change with an OEM license. You keep
> mentioning "generic"
>
> There is no such thing.

Horsepucky. I have three of them.

> Certain large companies purchase a license from Microsoft to install XP on
> their computers. They can if they choose tie that copy to their hardware.
> All other versions are OEM and are supposed to be sold as part of a system

Not in Spain. I have bought three without any hardware at all. I installed
one on an old Pent III HP.

> Perhaps this from the Microsoft web site will help to explain.
>
> I am pulling this from the system builder site

Again, I am not a system builder.

In Spain, you would be hard pressed to find a full retail copy of either
Home or XP Pro. Need urls?

Alias

> [...]
>>> operating system is "married" to the computer system on which it is
>>> originally installed.
>>>
>>> If you haven't already, please take a moment to review a comprehensive
>>> group of OEM Licensing Questions and Answers which are specific to
>>> system builders:
>>> https://oem.microsoft.com/worldwide/514341.asp.
>>>
>>> Wayne
>>
>> What's that got to do with a person buying a *generic* OEM? My EULAs
>> don't say "motherboard" in Spanish or English. They both say "hardware"
>> and "computer" only. I am not a "system builder". With the way
>> electronics goes today, a motherboard bought a year ago is out of date.
>> For example, I have one sitting over there that will not take a graphic
>> AGP 8x card, only 4x. Try to get a 4x graphic card nowadays. If one
>> upgrades one's motherboard, it's still the same computer, now isn't it?

June 10, 2005 3:40:30 PM

> In news:CbSdnc_k0c0tQzXfRVn-3g@comcast.com,
> wayne <komon@dgdg.sss> typed:
>
>> nope the "computer is made up of several components MS allows you to
>> change these components but they all connect to the motherboard. That is
>> the one component that you cannot change with an OEM license.
>

> What you can not change with an OEM license is the "computer." The
> Microsoft OEM EULA does not precisely define exactly what constitutes the
> "computer." Considering that the computer is the motherboard certainly
> makes sense, and that's a view that's supported by many people, but it's
> very far from clear that that's corect, or that that viewpoint would be
> upheld in a court of law.
>

>> You keep mentioning "generic"
>>
>> There is no such thing.
>

> Of course there is. A "generic" OEM CD is one that has not been customized
> by a particular OEM. It's identical to the Full retail CD except that it
> can not do an upgrade installation. And its license of course is
> different.
>

>> Certain large companies purchase a license
>> from Microsoft to install XP on their computers. They can if they
>> choose tie that copy to their hardware. All other versions are OEM
>> and are supposed to be sold as part of a system
>

> Not true. Generic OEM versions are widely available, and can legally be
> bought without being sold as part of a system. The requirement is that
> they have to be sold with a piece of non-peripheral hardware. Almost any
> piece of hardware qualifies, and from a practical standpoint, anyone can
> easily buy one of these at any time, by spending only an extra few dollars
> for that piece of hardware.
>

>> Perhaps this from the Microsoft web site will help to explain.
>>
>> I am pulling this from the system builder site
>

> Yes, I'm aware of what it says on the System Builder site. However, this
> is not the EULA, and doesn't bind the purchaser of an OEM version. Only
> the EULA binds the purchaser, and the EULA does *not* define what
> constitutes the "same computer."

> Please reply to the newsgroup

Thank you Ken and may I add that in some countries, such as Spain, one does
not need to buy any hardware to buy a generic OEM copy of XP.

Alias

!