Josh

hi

Recently my friend told me that you have to defragment every other day, as
iv never done it before he showed me what to download etc after doing this i
felt that i should clean out some space on my pc, so i downloaded trials for
tools like system mechanics to help optimize my pc.

I ran things like defragmention, compress registry, speed up internet but to
be honest i didnt think if this would affect my pc. I also cleaned out alot
of empty folders and unused programs to create for space.

This was all good untill i started having problems as for some reason it
wouldnt let connect to the internet and when i did it wouldnt let me look on
the browsers, connect to anything online as though i actually wasnt connected
to the internet even though i was.

I got worried so i did a system restore, to during the clean out, i then
uninstall system mechanic thinking this was the problem and got rid of the
new firewall i was testing. I then started the clean out again but the
programs i was uninstalling were there but unsable to uninstall as the
uninstaller didnt work, due to the fact it had already been uninstalled,
which it shouldnt have as i did a restore.

So all the programs i had got rid of were still in add/remove programs but i
couldnt get rid of them as they all had errors. So i restarted my pc and went
back to try again. This time it said the programme has already been
uninstalled shall it be removed from add/remove so i clicked yes. For alot of
programs it gave me this option, for a few it said error etc.

I then install a new firewall 'Pro Zone Alarm' that starts giving me
problems with my internet so i uninstall this, as it loads when my system
starts asking me if i want the full version and then freezes so i have to
control alt + del it.

Then the annoying problem, i went to look through my C drive, so i clicked
on my computer, the box loads and the torch appears in the middle, i sit
waiting for 5 minutes for it to load, but it doesnt. It just freezes my start
menu and my computer so i restart the computer and it does the same again and
also this time my internet takes about 3minutes to load up.

As im frustated and go and do another system restore but this time back to
last week before i did anything to my computer and it was fine. I then do a
small clean out only getting rid of things i know, such as games i dont play
on. I do the uninstall thing again and the same thing happens, even though iv
done a restore to a week earlier and the programs should be there and in
full. But they are incomplete and without installers etc, so i go through the
same process again.

I then get the annoying 'my computer' problem again so i keep restarting my
computer to see if it fixes it, but it doesnt so i decided i will post here
before i do another restore and then leave it for good.

Sorry for the really long question but i thought it would be better to
explain what has been happening on the computer so you may identify the
problem easier.

Also if i have done something majorly wrong here or am i doing something
wrong could you please correct me as i dont want to ruin my families PC!

Thanks in advance for your help, Very much appreciated.

Josh

In news:7CFC78CB-49C1-49CC-8581-3B21E36D4E68@microsoft.com,
Josh <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Recently my friend told me that you have to defragment every
> other
> day,

Your friend is very much wrong. That's *way* overkill.

Please reply to the newsgroup

In news:7CFC78CB-49C1-49CC-8581-3B21E36D4E68@microsoft.com,
Josh <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> I ran things like defragmention, compress registry, speed up
> internet
> but to be honest i didnt think if this would affect my pc. I
> also
> cleaned out alot of empty folders and unused programs to create
> for
> space.
>
> This was all good untill i started having problems as for some
> reason
> it wouldnt let connect to the internet and when i did it
> wouldnt let
> me look on the browsers, connect to anything online as though i
> actually wasnt connected to the internet even though i was.

You need to be *very* careful running programs that tell you they
will improve things, and haphazardly deleting things. In many
cases, they make things worse, not better. Don't run *any* of
these programs unless you are very sure you know exactly what you
are doing.

If you're looking for help now, you need to tell us exactly what
you did--what programs you ran, what folders and unused programs
you cleaned out, etc.

You've also said you ran multiple system restores. You then did
"a small clean out." It sound like you may have done enough
different things that at this point it would be very difficult
for you to identify exactly what you've done and in what order.
If that's the case, undoing multiple errors may be very hard, and
your best course may be to bite the bullet and start all over
again from scratch--reinstalling Windows cleanly. That's a piece
of advice I very rarely give, but I wouldn't be surprised to find
that it's the best course for you.

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:7CFC78CB-49C1-49CC-8581-3B21E36D4E68@microsoft.com,
> Josh <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > I ran things like defragmention, compress registry, speed up
> > internet
> > but to be honest i didnt think if this would affect my pc. I
> > also
> > cleaned out alot of empty folders and unused programs to create
> > for
> > space.
> >
> > This was all good untill i started having problems as for some
> > reason
> > it wouldnt let connect to the internet and when i did it
> > wouldnt let
> > me look on the browsers, connect to anything online as though i
> > actually wasnt connected to the internet even though i was.
>

> You need to be *very* careful running programs that tell you they
> will improve things, and haphazardly deleting things. In many
> cases, they make things worse, not better. Don't run *any* of
> these programs unless you are very sure you know exactly what you
> are doing.
>
> If you're looking for help now, you need to tell us exactly what
> you did--what programs you ran, what folders and unused programs
> you cleaned out, etc.
>
> You've also said you ran multiple system restores. You then did
> "a small clean out." It sound like you may have done enough
> different things that at this point it would be very difficult
> for you to identify exactly what you've done and in what order.
> If that's the case, undoing multiple errors may be very hard, and
> your best course may be to bite the bullet and start all over
> again from scratch--reinstalling Windows cleanly. That's a piece
> of advice I very rarely give, but I wouldn't be surprised to find
> that it's the best course for you.

> Please reply to the newsgroup
>

> As you said i have done to many things to repeat, the programs i uninstalled are files such as Studio 8 and Spyblaster etc. The things that have gone are all things i have installed and shouldnt affect the running of the computer.
The main thing is most likely the system mechanic that has cuased the
problems as im not sure at all what i am doing, i thought it would help my
computer but infact it looks as though i was wrong.

Main problem with installing windows again is that i have had a new graphics
card installed and also Windows XP was on the computer already. If i followed
your advice would i lose everything on pc or is there a way to keep stuff on
the computer or would i have to save it to disk?

Josh

"Josh" wrote:

> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
> > In news:7CFC78CB-49C1-49CC-8581-3B21E36D4E68@microsoft.com,
> > Josh <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
> >
> > > I ran things like defragmention, compress registry, speed up
> > > internet
> > > but to be honest i didnt think if this would affect my pc. I
> > > also
> > > cleaned out alot of empty folders and unused programs to create
> > > for
> > > space.
> > >
> > > This was all good untill i started having problems as for some
> > > reason
> > > it wouldnt let connect to the internet and when i did it
> > > wouldnt let
> > > me look on the browsers, connect to anything online as though i
> > > actually wasnt connected to the internet even though i was.
> >

> > You need to be *very* careful running programs that tell you they
> > will improve things, and haphazardly deleting things. In many
> > cases, they make things worse, not better. Don't run *any* of
> > these programs unless you are very sure you know exactly what you
> > are doing.
> >
> > If you're looking for help now, you need to tell us exactly what
> > you did--what programs you ran, what folders and unused programs
> > you cleaned out, etc.
> >
> > You've also said you ran multiple system restores. You then did
> > "a small clean out." It sound like you may have done enough
> > different things that at this point it would be very difficult
> > for you to identify exactly what you've done and in what order.
> > If that's the case, undoing multiple errors may be very hard, and
> > your best course may be to bite the bullet and start all over
> > again from scratch--reinstalling Windows cleanly. That's a piece
> > of advice I very rarely give, but I wouldn't be surprised to find
> > that it's the best course for you.
> >
> > --
> > Ken Blake - Microsoft MVP Windows: Shell/User
> > Please reply to the newsgroup
> >

> > As you said i have done to many things to repeat, the programs i uninstalled are files such as Studio 8 and Spyblaster etc. The things that have gone are all things i have installed and shouldnt affect the running of the computer.
> The main thing is most likely the system mechanic that has cuased the
> problems as im not sure at all what i am doing, i thought it would help my
> computer but infact it looks as though i was wrong.
>
> Main problem with installing windows again is that i have had a new graphics
> card installed and also Windows XP was on the computer already. If i followed
> your advice would i lose everything on pc or is there a way to keep stuff on
> the computer or would i have to save it to disk?

I just restarted my computer to see if the problem had fixed it self, it
hadnt, it still kept searhing then stopping, so i clicked my connect to
internet button to come on online and nothing happened, then about 30 seconds
later a red balloon appears in the corner saying my firewall is turned off
(which it isnt) and then the internet box appears.

Then a few moments later it sounds like my computer clicks into gear (i hear
it start to load something) and up pops the 'my computer' box so it looks
like my computer cant find it when it is turned on, does this make any
difference?

Malke

Josh wrote:

> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
>> In news:7CFC78CB-49C1-49CC-8581-3B21E36D4E68@microsoft.com,
>> Josh <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>> > I ran things like defragmention, compress registry, speed up
>> > internet
>> > but to be honest i didnt think if this would affect my pc. I
>> > also
>> > cleaned out alot of empty folders and unused programs to create
>> > for
>> > space.
>> >
>> > This was all good untill i started having problems as for some
>> > reason
>> > it wouldnt let connect to the internet and when i did it
>> > wouldnt let
>> > me look on the browsers, connect to anything online as though i
>> > actually wasnt connected to the internet even though i was.
>>

>> You need to be *very* careful running programs that tell you they
>> will improve things, and haphazardly deleting things. In many
>> cases, they make things worse, not better. Don't run *any* of
>> these programs unless you are very sure you know exactly what you
>> are doing.
>>
>> If you're looking for help now, you need to tell us exactly what
>> you did--what programs you ran, what folders and unused programs
>> you cleaned out, etc.
>>
>> You've also said you ran multiple system restores. You then did
>> "a small clean out." It sound like you may have done enough
>> different things that at this point it would be very difficult
>> for you to identify exactly what you've done and in what order.
>> If that's the case, undoing multiple errors may be very hard, and
>> your best course may be to bite the bullet and start all over
>> again from scratch--reinstalling Windows cleanly. That's a piece
>> of advice I very rarely give, but I wouldn't be surprised to find
>> that it's the best course for you.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>> As you said i have done to many things to repeat, the programs i
>> uninstalled are files such as Studio 8 and Spyblaster etc. The things
>> that have gone are all things i have installed and shouldnt affect
>> the running of the computer.
> The main thing is most likely the system mechanic that has cuased the
> problems as im not sure at all what i am doing, i thought it would
> help my computer but infact it looks as though i was wrong.
>
> Main problem with installing windows again is that i have had a new
> graphics card installed and also Windows XP was on the computer
> already. If i followed your advice would i lose everything on pc or is
> there a way to keep stuff on the computer or would i have to save it
> to disk?

Josh, it is unfortunate that your friend gave you such bad advice. I
have a lot of clients who came to me because a friend "helped" them
with their computer. I absolutely am not saying this to hurt your
feelings, but the best thing for you to do would be to take your
machine to a professional computer repair shop (not your local
equivalent of BigStoreUSA) and have them put it right for you. If the
pro feels that Windows needs to be reinstalled, s/he can back up the
data and deal with the different video card. A reinstall might not be
necessary, but only someone knowledgeable who can actually *see* the pc
will be able to give you solid advice about that.

Best of luck,

Malke
--
MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
Elephant Boy Computers

In news:7BC61F63-1DA2-4E42-B5DC-BF66325112DB@microsoft.com,
Josh <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> "Ken Blake" wrote:
>
>> In news:7CFC78CB-49C1-49CC-8581-3B21E36D4E68@microsoft.com,
>> Josh <Josh@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>>
>>> I ran things like defragmention, compress registry, speed up
>>> internet
>>> but to be honest i didnt think if this would affect my pc. I
>>> also
>>> cleaned out alot of empty folders and unused programs to
>>> create
>>> for
>>> space.
>>>
>>> This was all good untill i started having problems as for
>>> some
>>> reason
>>> it wouldnt let connect to the internet and when i did it
>>> wouldnt let
>>> me look on the browsers, connect to anything online as though
>>> actually wasnt connected to the internet even though i was.
>>

>> You need to be *very* careful running programs that tell you
>> they
>> will improve things, and haphazardly deleting things. In many
>> cases, they make things worse, not better. Don't run *any* of
>> these programs unless you are very sure you know exactly what
>> you
>> are doing.
>>
>> If you're looking for help now, you need to tell us exactly
>> what
>> you did--what programs you ran, what folders and unused
>> programs
>> you cleaned out, etc.
>>
>> You've also said you ran multiple system restores. You then
>> did
>> "a small clean out." It sound like you may have done enough
>> different things that at this point it would be very difficult
>> for you to identify exactly what you've done and in what
>> order.
>> If that's the case, undoing multiple errors may be very hard,
>> and
>> your best course may be to bite the bullet and start all over
>> again from scratch--reinstalling Windows cleanly. That's a
>> piece
>> of advice I very rarely give, but I wouldn't be surprised to
>> find
>> that it's the best course for you.
>>
>> --
>> Please reply to the newsgroup
>>

>> As you said i have done to many things to repeat, the programs
>> uninstalled are files such as Studio 8 and Spyblaster etc. The
>> things that have gone are all things i have installed and
>> shouldnt
>> affect the running of the computer.
> The main thing is most likely the system mechanic that has
> cuased the
> problems as im not sure at all what i am doing, i thought it
> would
> help my computer but infact it looks as though i was wrong.

The problem with tweaking is that doing it properly requires
substantial knowledge, and if you're a relative beginner, it can
be a very dangerous thing to do.

Just as bad is taking advice from a friend, unless you are very
sure he knows what he's talking about.

Sorry to be so blunt, but that's the way it is.

> Main problem with installing windows again is that i have had a
> new
> graphics card installed and also Windows XP was on the computer
> already.

The graphics card shouldn't be a problem. You should have or can
get a driver for it.

When you say "Windows XP was on the computer already," does that
mean you don't have an installation CD? Even if so, the
manufacturer should have given you a way to restore it, either
with a restore CD, or a hidden restore partition on the drive.
Check your documentation or contact the manufacturer to find out.

> If i followed your advice would i lose everything on pc or
> is there a way to keep stuff on the computer or would i have to
> save
> it to disk?

Yes, if you followed my advice, you would lose everything. Back
up anything you need first.

But please don't be in a rush to do a clean installation. My
point is not so much that you *should* do it, but that you *may*
find that it's necessary. If I were in your shoes, I would take
Malke's advice and have a professional look at it first.

Good luck.

Please reply to the newsgroup