AoE:II ports open, Can host, can't join

I can host game on the zone and others can join me, but I cannot join a
game. When the host lauches, I see the message, "Setting up Multiplayer
game" and then eventually "Unable to join game". I can't even join games
when in DMZ.

I am using Speedstream 5200 in bridge mode and Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless B
router), XP SP1 (uninstalled SP2), DirectX 9.0c. I am not sure what else to
try, and ideas would be much appreciated. I truly think its something small
that I just am overlooking.

Thank you so very much! ::))
Robin
3 answers Last reply
More about ports open host join

    Hi Robin,

    Is it your router? Find out by connecting directly to your ISP modem.

    --
    Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

    "Keith & Robin Gill" <rktgill@alltel.net> wrote in message news:ebh%23p045EHA.2804@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
    | I can host game on the zone and others can join me, but I cannot join a
    | game. When the host lauches, I see the message, "Setting up Multiplayer
    | game" and then eventually "Unable to join game". I can't even join games
    | when in DMZ.
    |
    | I am using Speedstream 5200 in bridge mode and Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless B
    | router), XP SP1 (uninstalled SP2), DirectX 9.0c. I am not sure what else to
    | try, and ideas would be much appreciated. I truly think its something small
    | that I just am overlooking.
    |
    | Thank you so very much! ::))
    | Robin

    Jimmy,

    I have since discovered the problem, but i wanted to post it here in case
    others had the same issue. My modem has the option to enable UPnP, which I
    had done... I disabled it and it worked.

    But now, I have another issue... I have two pcs on network with DXport
    forwarding for each pc. This evening, I was only gaming on one pc. Each
    time I get in a game, everyone after me is 30 ping. I know I saw some info
    on this somewhere, but between the Nibbles site and others, I can't remember
    where I found it. Any ideas?

    Thanks!!
    Robin

    http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
    rights.

    > "Keith & Robin Gill" <rktgill@alltel.net> wrote in message
    > | I can host game on the zone and others can join me, but I cannot join a
    > | game. When the host lauches, I see the message, "Setting up Multiplayer
    > | game" and then eventually "Unable to join game". I can't even join
    games
    > | when in DMZ.
    > |
    > | I am using Speedstream 5200 in bridge mode and Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless
    > | router), XP SP1 (uninstalled SP2), DirectX 9.0c. I am not sure what
    else to
    > | try, and ideas would be much appreciated. I truly think its something
    small
    > | that I just am overlooking.
    > |
    > | Thank you so very much! ::))
    > | Robin

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.games (More info?)

    Hi Keith,

    Great news to hear you have your router issue sorted. :-)

    You probably read the setup instructions for DX Port at
    www.puffinsoft.com (possibly within their user forums).

    --

    "Keith & Robin Gill" <*@alltel.net> wrote in message news:ugYUW095EHA.3840@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...
    > Jimmy,
    >
    > I have since discovered the problem, but i wanted to post it here in case
    > others had the same issue. My modem has the option to enable UPnP, which I
    > had done... I disabled it and it worked.
    >
    > But now, I have another issue... I have two pcs on network with DXport
    > forwarding for each pc. This evening, I was only gaming on one pc. Each
    > time I get in a game, everyone after me is 30 ping. I know I saw some info
    > on this somewhere, but between the Nibbles site and others, I can't remember
    > where I found it. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks!!
    > Robin
    > "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message news:41c8826e@usenet01.boi.hp.com...
    >> Hi Robin,
    >>
    >> Is it your router? Find out by connecting directly to your ISP modem.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
    >> Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
    >>
    >> Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
    >> Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
    >> MS Assisted Support:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
    >> My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
    > rights.
    >>
    >> "Keith & Robin Gill" <rktgill@alltel.net> wrote in message
    >> | I can host game on the zone and others can join me, but I cannot join a
    >> | game. When the host lauches, I see the message, "Setting up Multiplayer
    >> | game" and then eventually "Unable to join game". I can't even join
    > games
    >> | when in DMZ.
    >> |
    >> | I am using Speedstream 5200 in bridge mode and Linksys BEFW11S4 wireless
    >> | router), XP SP1 (uninstalled SP2), DirectX 9.0c. I am not sure what
    > else to
    >> | try, and ideas would be much appreciated. I truly think its something
    > small
    >> | that I just am overlooking.
    >> |
    >> | Thank you so very much! ::))
    >> | Robin