Template comments please?

Hi,

I'm messing around with a paladin, trying to get a decent character for PvM,
with a small amount of dabbling in PvP. So, how's this: (probably
terrible...)

Chivalry 120
Focus 110
Spirit Speak 100
Parrying 100
Swords 100
Tactics 100
Magic Resist 70

I considered putting some points into hiding, but I'm not sure where I'd
take them from. Besides, sacred journey's probably just as good if I need to
avoid someone or something.

Thoughts? Minor tweaks? Back to the drawing board?

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:28:09 -0000, "Alergic Alchemist"
<allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm messing around with a paladin, trying to get a decent character for PvM,
>with a small amount of dabbling in PvP. So, how's this: (probably
>terrible...)
>
>Chivalry 120
>Focus 110

High focus is good but I don't know why you need high chivalry.

>Spirit Speak 100

What is this for?

>Parrying 100
>Swords 100
>Tactics 100
>Magic Resist 70

No anatomy or healing?

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

"Alergic Alchemist" <allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm messing around with a paladin, trying to get a decent character for
> PvM, with a small amount of dabbling in PvP. So, how's this: (probably
> terrible...)
>
> Chivalry 120
> Focus 110
> Spirit Speak 100
> Parrying 100
> Swords 100
> Tactics 100
> Magic Resist 70
>
> I considered putting some points into hiding, but I'm not sure where I'd
> take them from. Besides, sacred journey's probably just as good if I need
> to avoid someone or something.
>
> Thoughts? Minor tweaks? Back to the drawing board?

My opinion:

Chivalry 100
Focus 100
Anatomy 110
Parrying 100
Swords 110
Tactics 110
Magic Resist 70 (100)

Thats all 700 skill cap total...If you have any spare points I would go more
in magic resist, possible to 100 because Curse hurts very bad if you dont
have at least gm in magic resist...

"Alergic Alchemist" <allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'm messing around with a paladin, trying to get a decent character for
> PvM, with a small amount of dabbling in PvP. So, how's this: (probably
> terrible...)
>
> Chivalry 120
> Focus 110
> Spirit Speak 100
> Parrying 100
> Swords 100
> Tactics 100
> Magic Resist 70
>
> I considered putting some points into hiding, but I'm not sure where I'd
> take them from. Besides, sacred journey's probably just as good if I need
> to avoid someone or something.
>
> Thoughts? Minor tweaks? Back to the drawing board?

I went the route of:

Archery 110
Tactics 110
Chivalry 100
Focus 100
Anatomy 110
Healing 100
Resist 90

with 720 points to play with.

Anatomy gives a 30% bonus to damage on top of the Tactics bonus. You can do
some serious damage per swing with these bonus's plus having all your mana
free to keep your Chivalry spells up instead of having to spend it healing.
Just use bandages when something whacks you.

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 18:23:13 -0500, "Baydlor" <baydlor@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Alergic Alchemist" <allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm messing around with a paladin, trying to get a decent character for
>> PvM, with a small amount of dabbling in PvP. So, how's this: (probably
>> terrible...)
>>
>> Chivalry 120
>> Focus 110
>> Spirit Speak 100
>> Parrying 100
>> Swords 100
>> Tactics 100
>> Magic Resist 70
>>
>> I considered putting some points into hiding, but I'm not sure where I'd
>> take them from. Besides, sacred journey's probably just as good if I need
>> to avoid someone or something.
>>
>> Thoughts? Minor tweaks? Back to the drawing board?
>>

>I went the route of:
>
>Archery 110
>Tactics 110
>Chivalry 100
>Focus 100
>Anatomy 110
>Healing 100
>Resist 90
>
>with 720 points to play with.
>
>Anatomy gives a 30% bonus to damage on top of the Tactics bonus. You can do
>some serious damage per swing with these bonus's plus having all your mana
>free to keep your Chivalry spells up instead of having to spend it healing.
>Just use bandages when something whacks you.

Yeah, I like skills that have multiple effects like anatomy. :)

--

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:28:09 -0000, "Alergic Alchemist"
> <allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm messing around with a paladin, trying to get a decent character for
>>PvM,
>>with a small amount of dabbling in PvP. So, how's this: (probably
>>terrible...)
>>
>>Chivalry 120
>>Focus 110
>
> High focus is good but I don't know why you need high chivalry.
I was told that the higher the level, the more damage you can do - is this
not correct?

>>Spirit Speak 100
>
> What is this for?
Healing, generally.

>>Parrying 100
>>Swords 100
>>Tactics 100
>>Magic Resist 70
>
> No anatomy or healing?
Spirit Speak instead of healing.

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:53:33 -0000, "Alergic Alchemist"
<allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:28:09 -0000, "Alergic Alchemist"
>> <allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I'm messing around with a paladin, trying to get a decent character for
>>>PvM,
>>>with a small amount of dabbling in PvP. So, how's this: (probably
>>>terrible...)
>>>
>>>Chivalry 120
>>>Focus 110
>>
>> High focus is good but I don't know why you need high chivalry.
>I was told that the higher the level, the more damage you can do - is this
>not correct?

With higher fame/karma you do more damage with Chivalry spells. but I'm
not aware of any damage modifier from focus. It just helps you regain
mana and stamina.

>>>Spirit Speak 100
>>
>> What is this for?
>Healing, generally.

SS helps with healing? Magical healing?
Healing and anatomy help with bandage healing.

"Misko" <ivan.miskovicSPAM@vk.htnet.hr> wrote in message

> "Alergic Alchemist" <allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm messing around with a paladin, trying to get a decent character for
>> PvM, with a small amount of dabbling in PvP. So, how's this: (probably
>> terrible...)
>>
>> Chivalry 120
>> Focus 110
>> Spirit Speak 100
>> Parrying 100
>> Swords 100
>> Tactics 100
>> Magic Resist 70
>>
>> I considered putting some points into hiding, but I'm not sure where I'd
>> take them from. Besides, sacred journey's probably just as good if I need
>> to avoid someone or something.
>>
>> Thoughts? Minor tweaks? Back to the drawing board?
>>

> My opinion:
>
> Chivalry 100
> Focus 100
> Anatomy 110
> Parrying 100
> Swords 110
> Tactics 110
> Magic Resist 70 (100)
>
> Thats all 700 skill cap total...If you have any spare points I would go
> more in magic resist, possible to 100 because Curse hurts very bad if you
> dont have at least gm in magic resist...

Hmm. Thanks. I imagine I'd then rely purely on the paladin spells for
healing? Looks good. At least I wasn't too far off. I can push a few more
points into resist - I've got an extra 10, and some good resist jewels, too,
that should take me close to GM.

Spirit Speak can be good for healing in places such as doom where there are
an abundant supply of corpses it gives a free way of gaining health without
using mana, bandies or regs. It also means that you can use the weight that
the bandies or regs would have used to carry more gold or other items. If
there are no dead bodies available then it uses your own stamina to heal.

If you have high dex and no bodies about then bandies are normally a better
bet. But as a doom arti whore master SS will serve you fine at the gauntlet.

snip

> SS helps with healing? Magical healing?
> Healing and anatomy help with bandage healing.

Ice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 08:12:43 GMT, "Lord Ferris"
<Spampreventer@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Spirit Speak can be good for healing in places such as doom where there are
>an abundant supply of corpses it gives a free way of gaining health without
>using mana, bandies or regs. It also means that you can use the weight that
>the bandies or regs would have used to carry more gold or other items. If
>there are no dead bodies available then it uses your own stamina to heal.
>
>If you have high dex and no bodies about then bandies are normally a better
>bet. But as a doom arti whore master SS will serve you fine at the gauntlet.

If you have to give up Anatomy to have SS, you are giving up damage.
That can get you killed faster than you can regain health with SS,
IMHO.

IMO, (weapon, swords, etc), Tactics, Anatomy, and Focus are a MUST,
then you can add what ever you have room for.

Carry a bag of sending for that gold or "big prize" that you pick up
in Doom.

Ice

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005, Alergic Alchemist wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm messing around with a paladin, trying to get a decent character for PvM,
> with a small amount of dabbling in PvP. So, how's this: (probably
> terrible...)
>
> Chivalry 120
> Focus 110
> Spirit Speak 100
> Parrying 100
> Swords 100
> Tactics 100
> Magic Resist 70
>
> I considered putting some points into hiding, but I'm not sure where I'd
> take them from. Besides, sacred journey's probably just as good if I need to
> avoid someone or something.
>
> Thoughts? Minor tweaks? Back to the drawing board?

I do like seeing more people using Spirit Speak...underutilized skill since
AoS :). Do you rez people often enough that Chivalry at 120 is worth it to
you? It isn't that much harder with 105 Chiv, which is what is needed to
cast the next highest spell 100% of the time (Holy Light). Why do you want
the hiding, exactly? Dispel evil works well enough unless you go AFK a lot
and need to be able to hide for that reason. Never liked focus not being a
multiple of 20, because all it gets you is 1 SR and 0 MR. If it was me, I
would take Chiv to 105, Focus to GM, and 120 Swords (or 115 if money is an
issue), and use the rest to get some more resist...unless you have enough
mana supply to remove curse often, as well as a really weak tinker trapped
dart chest (or Lesser Poison+Lesser Cure pots) to break Para.

--
Paul W. Lints UIN:25030144
pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Alergic Alchemist wrote:

> "Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 20:28:09 -0000, "Alergic Alchemist"
> > <allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I'm messing around with a paladin, trying to get a decent character for
> >>PvM,
> >>with a small amount of dabbling in PvP. So, how's this: (probably
> >>terrible...)
> >>
> >>Chivalry 120
> >>Focus 110
> >
> > High focus is good but I don't know why you need high chivalry.
> I was told that the higher the level, the more damage you can do - is this
> not correct?

Correct...that is not correct :). I believe that dispel evil is skill
based, but works well enough at the 105 level I meantioned earlier. Noble
Sacrifice is the only other reason to go above 105 (and not a very good
reason, either :) ), but even that has 100% casting chance at 115 Chivalry.

> >>Spirit Speak 100
> >
> > What is this for?
> Healing, generally.
> >
> >>Parrying 100
> >>Swords 100
> >>Tactics 100
> >>Magic Resist 70
> >
> > No anatomy or healing?
> Spirit Speak instead of healing.

Yay for healing through LP and Mortal! Need to make sure you have a solid
mana supply or a solid flow of corpses, though :).

--

On Sun, 27 Feb 2005, Michael Cecil wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Feb 2005 19:53:33 -0000, "Alergic Alchemist"
> <allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message

> >> High focus is good but I don't know why you need high chivalry.
> >I was told that the higher the level, the more damage you can do - is this
> >not correct?
>
> With higher fame/karma you do more damage with Chivalry spells. but I'm
> not aware of any damage modifier from focus. It just helps you regain
> mana and stamina.

> >> What is this for?
> >Healing, generally.
>
> SS helps with healing? Magical healing?
> Healing and anatomy help with bandage healing.

Invoking the SS skill heals you (about 30-40 at GM+ levels, off the top of
my head). Takes 10 mana or a nearby corpse :).

--

On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Lord Ferris wrote:

> Spirit Speak can be good for healing in places such as doom where there are
> an abundant supply of corpses it gives a free way of gaining health without
> using mana, bandies or regs. It also means that you can use the weight that
> the bandies or regs would have used to carry more gold or other items. If
> there are no dead bodies available then it uses your own stamina to heal.
>
> If you have high dex and no bodies about then bandies are normally a better
> bet. But as a doom arti whore master SS will serve you fine at the gauntlet.

I had a doom arti whore with Leg SS, parry, healing, Adept Chiv, and I Curse
weaponed like mad when fighting the big stuff. Talk about never dying ^.^.

--

pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2005, Lord Ferris wrote:
> I had a doom arti whore with Leg SS, parry, healing, Adept Chiv, and I Curse
> weaponed like mad when fighting the big stuff. Talk about never dying ^.^.
> --
> Paul W. Lints UIN:25030144
> pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu

Thanks