DB25 to RCA adapter?

Last response: in Home Audio
October 12, 2004 5:34:56 AM

I just bought an inexpensive Pioneer DVD-A/SACD player (Pioneer
DV-578A-S, $120 at BestBuy) and I don't think it does digital 5.1
output on all formats (though I could be wrong). I'm connecting it to
my Rotel RSX-965 AV receiver from a few years ago. For the Rotel 5.1
channel analog input and output, it uses a DB25 connector instead of
the more normal set of six RCA connectors.

Rotel doesn't make adapter cables and I a cursory search of the web
doesn't reveal anyone else who has them as "stock" cables. Does
anyone have suggestions for who would be able to make a custom adapter
cable or know how much I should expect to pay for one? I've emailed a
couple of manufacturers this morning (e.g. Monster), but if the answer
ends up being "greater than $50," I'll probably head over to Radio
Shack for parts and use my feeble and rusty soldering skills.

I'd prefer not to support a company that markets based on the "wire
makes a HUGE audible difference" chatter, if that makes a difference
and is even possible to find.

-alan

--
Alan Hoyle - alanh@unc.edu - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Get Horizontal, Play Ultimate.

More about : db25 rca adapter

Anonymous
October 12, 2004 7:18:39 AM

Alan Hoyle <alanh@unc.edu> wrote:
> I just bought an inexpensive Pioneer DVD-A/SACD player (Pioneer
> DV-578A-S, $120 at BestBuy) and I don't think it does digital 5.1
> output on all formats (though I could be wrong).

Like the vast majority of such players, it will not pass
SACD or DVD-Audio digitally.

> I'm connecting it to
> my Rotel RSX-965 AV receiver from a few years ago. For the Rotel 5.1
> channel analog input and output, it uses a DB25 connector instead of
> the more normal set of six RCA connectors.

> Rotel doesn't make adapter cables and I a cursory search of the web
> doesn't reveal anyone else who has them as "stock" cables. Does
> anyone have suggestions for who would be able to make a custom adapter
> cable or know how much I should expect to pay for one? I've emailed a
> couple of manufacturers this morning (e.g. Monster), but if the answer
> ends up being "greater than $50," I'll probably head over to Radio
> Shack for parts and use my feeble and rusty soldering skills.

Monster Cable makes one for something like $110/6ft.

But this link shows you how to make one for much less
by someone in the much same situation as you,

http://home.mindspring.com/~charletiv/THX_DB25_Pinouts....

--
-S
Your a boring little troll. How does it feel? Go blow your bad breath elsewhere.

"Alan Hoyle" <alanh@unc.edu> wrote in message
> I just bought an inexpensive Pioneer DVD-A/SACD player (Pioneer
> DV-578A-S, $120 at BestBuy) and I don't think it does digital 5.1
> output on all formats (though I could be wrong). I'm connecting it to
> my Rotel RSX-965 AV receiver from a few years ago. For the Rotel 5.1
> channel analog input and output, it uses a DB25 connector instead of
> the more normal set of six RCA connectors.
>
> Rotel doesn't make adapter cables and I a cursory search of the web
> doesn't reveal anyone else who has them as "stock" cables. Does
> anyone have suggestions for who would be able to make a custom adapter
> cable or know how much I should expect to pay for one? I've emailed a
> couple of manufacturers this morning (e.g. Monster), but if the answer
> ends up being "greater than $50," I'll probably head over to Radio
> Shack for parts and use my feeble and rusty soldering skills.
>
> I'd prefer not to support a company that markets based on the "wire
> makes a HUGE audible difference" chatter, if that makes a difference
> and is even possible to find.

Try Parts Express 1-800-338--531. They carry several brands of quality but
inexpensive wire, including a house brand "Dayton". They have all kinds of
wires and also, if I recall correctly, do custom wiring.
Anonymous
October 14, 2004 3:31:55 AM

On 12 Oct 2004 23:57:50 GMT, Harry Lavo wrote:
> "Alan Hoyle" <alanh@unc.edu> wrote in message

>> [need DB25 to 6x RCA adapter cable for 5.1 input]

> Try Parts Express 1-800-338--531. They carry several brands of quality but
> inexpensive wire, including a house brand "Dayton". They have all kinds of
> wires and also, if I recall correctly, do custom wiring.

Harry meant 800-338-0531. They didn't have them, but recommended
Tributariescable.com

StraightWire and TributariesCable have them for $90+. I think I'm
going to do a home-brew solution, given the difference in costs...

Thanks,

-alan

--
!