Novice user/Sound Card Troubles

Greetings,hopefully someone can help me.But I'm affraid it is in vain :(.
I purchased a Logitech Surround System with HOPES my movies and Music would
sound BETTER.Thing is I'm affraid my Dells sound cards are NOT up to par.I
have 4 plug ins in back,but can only get the Subwoofer and 2 fronts to
work....Did I make a bad purchase? Or can I get an upgrade download
somewhere???
7 answers Last reply
More about novice user sound card troubles

    McCloed9 wrote:

    > Greetings,hopefully someone can help me.But I'm affraid it is in vain
    > :(. I purchased a Logitech Surround System with HOPES my movies and
    > Music would sound BETTER.Thing is I'm affraid my Dells sound cards are
    > NOT up to par.I have 4 plug ins in back,but can only get the Subwoofer
    > and 2 fronts to work....Did I make a bad purchase? Or can I get an
    > upgrade download somewhere???

    We can't really answer you without knowing what sound card you have.
    Look in Device Manager (System applet in Control Panel) and see what
    the sound hardware is, or look on the paperwork that came with the
    system. Post back with that information for more help.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    If you purchased a low end Dell system, and did not change the sound card option, there is
    no sound card. Although there are 4 jacks, it is integrated audio from a chip on the
    motherboard, not a sound card. When I purchased my Dell, I chose the $25 upgrade for the
    Sound Blaster Live card with 5 jacks, which when the icon is right clicked in the
    notification area (formerly system tray), then left clicking Audio Properties brings up a
    window where you can set speaker options for everything from no speakers to 7.1 Surround
    Sound. If you DO have the integrated audio, it would not meet your surround sound needs.
    You can easily disable the onboard sound, and install a sound card that will do what you
    want. I've seen the Sound Blaster Live card in the low $30 range online:

    http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/results.aspx?grp=SND
    --

    T.C.
    t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com

    "McCloed9" <McCloed9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Greetings,hopefully someone can help me.But I'm affraid it is in vain :(.
    > I purchased a Logitech Surround System with HOPES my movies and Music would
    > sound BETTER.Thing is I'm affraid my Dells sound cards are NOT up to par.I
    > have 4 plug ins in back,but can only get the Subwoofer and 2 fronts to
    > work....Did I make a bad purchase? Or can I get an upgrade download
    > somewhere???

    hi,

    The sound card on the motherboard should have support for Surround stereo or
    else you wont get this feature with the speakers.

    Contact your manuals to see the type of sound card that it has and whether
    it has support for stereo.
    --
    Regards
    M. Rajesh

    "McCloed9" wrote:

    > Greetings,hopefully someone can help me.But I'm affraid it is in vain :(.
    > I purchased a Logitech Surround System with HOPES my movies and Music would
    > sound BETTER.Thing is I'm affraid my Dells sound cards are NOT up to par.I
    > have 4 plug ins in back,but can only get the Subwoofer and 2 fronts to
    > work....Did I make a bad purchase? Or can I get an upgrade download
    > somewhere???

    4 Plugs usually mean at least a 4.1 system.

    USUALLY... it's Front, Rear, Microphone, Digital Out OR Center/subwoofer.

    I can tell you that if the plugs are colour coded, usually it's: front (left
    & Right) should be green, the rear one's black, center/subwooter is usually
    orange, Microphone is pink, digital out is blue.

    If you bought a logitech Surround sound, you should have Green, Black and
    Orange. If you have matching colours on your sound card, plug them in! Also
    (MOST) logitechs have a switch on the back that determine whether it sends a
    2.1, 4.1 or 5.1 signal to the speakers. Make sure you do the select the
    correct configuration. The only thing else that I can think of is going into
    the Audio settings in windows (Control panel > Sounds, Speech & Audio
    Devices >Sounds & Audio Devices > Speaker Settings) and making sure Windows
    knows what type of signal to send to your sound card.

    That's about as much I can tell you without knowing what type of soundcard
    you have or which logitech's you bought.

    For reference, i have a Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 hooked up to a set
    of Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX speakers.

    --
    Regards,

    Lawrence Wong
    "Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > McCloed9 wrote:
    >
    >> Greetings,hopefully someone can help me.But I'm affraid it is in vain
    >> :(. I purchased a Logitech Surround System with HOPES my movies and
    >> Music would sound BETTER.Thing is I'm affraid my Dells sound cards are
    >> NOT up to par.I have 4 plug ins in back,but can only get the Subwoofer
    >> and 2 fronts to work....Did I make a bad purchase? Or can I get an
    >> upgrade download somewhere???
    >
    > We can't really answer you without knowing what sound card you have.
    > Look in Device Manager (System applet in Control Panel) and see what
    > the sound hardware is, or look on the paperwork that came with the
    > system. Post back with that information for more help.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"

    Hi,I'm in the Sounds ,Speech Devices and I'll write down whats in front of me
    in the Hardware...HL-DT-ST CD-RW GCE-8400B TYPE/ DVD/CD ROM
    Samsung DVD-ROM SD-616T Type/DVD/CD ROM
    Then it starts listing these Codecs...Unimodem Half Duplex Audio
    Device,Creative SB Live Value (WDM),Creative SB Live Gameport Ect.
    I'm greatful for the Help..I thought this Dimension 4500 was Top End...Guess
    I was ripped off ...Thank You again,Take Care.
    "Malke" wrote:

    > McCloed9 wrote:
    >
    > > Greetings,hopefully someone can help me.But I'm affraid it is in vain
    > > :(. I purchased a Logitech Surround System with HOPES my movies and
    > > Music would sound BETTER.Thing is I'm affraid my Dells sound cards are
    > > NOT up to par.I have 4 plug ins in back,but can only get the Subwoofer
    > > and 2 fronts to work....Did I make a bad purchase? Or can I get an
    > > upgrade download somewhere???
    >
    > We can't really answer you without knowing what sound card you have.
    > Look in Device Manager (System applet in Control Panel) and see what
    > the sound hardware is, or look on the paperwork that came with the
    > system. Post back with that information for more help.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"

    Thank you,I did go into the Windows and changed it from 2 speakers to
    Surround..Still nothing...Its a Logitech X-530 system,and I have 3 color
    coated wires (Blk,Grn & Orange) On my Dell I have 4 Plugs Blk,Yellow and 2
    Grn.I've updated ALL my Drivers,and I have a Samsung Sound Card,If thats any
    help?..Thank You again,Take Care.

    "Lawrence A. Wong" wrote:

    > 4 Plugs usually mean at least a 4.1 system.
    >
    > USUALLY... it's Front, Rear, Microphone, Digital Out OR Center/subwoofer.
    >
    > I can tell you that if the plugs are colour coded, usually it's: front (left
    > & Right) should be green, the rear one's black, center/subwooter is usually
    > orange, Microphone is pink, digital out is blue.
    >
    > If you bought a logitech Surround sound, you should have Green, Black and
    > Orange. If you have matching colours on your sound card, plug them in! Also
    > (MOST) logitechs have a switch on the back that determine whether it sends a
    > 2.1, 4.1 or 5.1 signal to the speakers. Make sure you do the select the
    > correct configuration. The only thing else that I can think of is going into
    > the Audio settings in windows (Control panel > Sounds, Speech & Audio
    > Devices >Sounds & Audio Devices > Speaker Settings) and making sure Windows
    > knows what type of signal to send to your sound card.
    >
    > That's about as much I can tell you without knowing what type of soundcard
    > you have or which logitech's you bought.
    >
    > For reference, i have a Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1 hooked up to a set
    > of Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX speakers.
    >
    > --
    > Regards,
    >
    > Lawrence Wong
    > "Malke" <notreally@invalid.com> wrote in message
    > > McCloed9 wrote:
    > >
    > >> Greetings,hopefully someone can help me.But I'm affraid it is in vain
    > >> :(. I purchased a Logitech Surround System with HOPES my movies and
    > >> Music would sound BETTER.Thing is I'm affraid my Dells sound cards are
    > >> NOT up to par.I have 4 plug ins in back,but can only get the Subwoofer
    > >> and 2 fronts to work....Did I make a bad purchase? Or can I get an
    > >> upgrade download somewhere???
    > >
    > > We can't really answer you without knowing what sound card you have.
    > > Look in Device Manager (System applet in Control Panel) and see what
    > > the sound hardware is, or look on the paperwork that came with the
    > > system. Post back with that information for more help.
    > >
    > > Malke
    > > --
    > > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > > Elephant Boy Computers
    > > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > > "Don't Panic"

    Thank You...I've tried about EVERYTHING...Its a Dell Dimension 4500,I thought
    It was top end,guess not...I went into the Sound,Speech devices and it had
    several things listed under Hardware,Samsung ,and Codects (whatever those are
    ,lol)
    Thanks again,I'll keep trying...Take care

    "t.cruise" wrote:

    > If you purchased a low end Dell system, and did not change the sound card option, there is
    > no sound card. Although there are 4 jacks, it is integrated audio from a chip on the
    > motherboard, not a sound card. When I purchased my Dell, I chose the $25 upgrade for the
    > Sound Blaster Live card with 5 jacks, which when the icon is right clicked in the
    > notification area (formerly system tray), then left clicking Audio Properties brings up a
    > window where you can set speaker options for everything from no speakers to 7.1 Surround
    > Sound. If you DO have the integrated audio, it would not meet your surround sound needs.
    > You can easily disable the onboard sound, and install a sound card that will do what you
    > want. I've seen the Sound Blaster Live card in the low $30 range online:
    >
    > http://www.cdw.com/shop/search/results.aspx?grp=SND
    > --
    >
    > T.C.
    > t__cruise@[NoSpam]hotmail.com
    > Remove [NoSpam] to reply
    >

    > "McCloed9" <McCloed9@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Greetings,hopefully someone can help me.But I'm affraid it is in vain :(.
    > > I purchased a Logitech Surround System with HOPES my movies and Music would
    > > sound BETTER.Thing is I'm affraid my Dells sound cards are NOT up to par.I
    > > have 4 plug ins in back,but can only get the Subwoofer and 2 fronts to
    > > work....Did I make a bad purchase? Or can I get an upgrade download
    > > somewhere???

Microsoft Sound Cards Windows XP