Windows Picture and Fax Viewer

June 9, 2005 1:19:21 AM

Anybody know how I can set things up so that double-clicking on a gif
or jpg file automatically calls Windows Picture and Fax Viewer?

It works OK on one of my desktop computers (in Tools | Folder options
the default app is PSP8, but WPFV is called first, after which I can
easily switch to the default app); however, on my laptop and my other
desktop, the same action immediately brings up PSP8. I like WPFV
better for viewing because it comes up a lot faster.

Thanks,
Steve
June 9, 2005 1:22:59 AM

/Steve Conover/ said:

> Anybody know how I can set things up so that double-clicking on a gif
> or jpg file automatically calls Windows Picture and Fax Viewer?
>
> It works OK on one of my desktop computers (in Tools | Folder options
> the default app is PSP8, but WPFV is called first, after which I can
> easily switch to the default app); however, on my laptop and my other
> desktop, the same action immediately brings up PSP8. I like WPFV
> better for viewing because it comes up a lot faster.

Go to START|RUN and type this...

regsvr32 /shimgvw.dll <enter>

See what happens.

--
For most XP answers and tweaks...
http://dougknox.com http://aumha.org

"Steve Conover" <scsr808@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Anybody know how I can set things up so that double-clicking on a gif
> or jpg file automatically calls Windows Picture and Fax Viewer?
>
> It works OK on one of my desktop computers (in Tools | Folder options
> the default app is PSP8, but WPFV is called first, after which I can
> easily switch to the default app); however, on my laptop and my other
> desktop, the same action immediately brings up PSP8. I like WPFV
> better for viewing because it comes up a lot faster.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Try Control Panel\Folder Options\File Types. Scroll down to .jpg.
Highlight it. Click on Change, and scroll down to Windows Picture and Fax
Viewer and select it. Then click O.K. Then double clicking a .jpg file
should open it in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

Hope this helps.

Cajunswabbie
June 9, 2005 4:48:27 PM

Steve,

To set Preview as the default action for a particular image file type, try
this:

o Open Control Panel, Folder Options applet
o Click the File Types tab
o Scroll down and select the file type from the list.
o Click the Restore button at the bottom

Windows Picture and Fax Viewer (Preview verb) now becomes the default action
for that image file type. To set a filetype with a different application,
see:

How to change file associations in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307859

--
Ramesh Srinivasan
MS-MVP, Windows Shell

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

"Steve Conover" <scsr808@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Anybody know how I can set things up so that double-clicking on a gif
> or jpg file automatically calls Windows Picture and Fax Viewer?
>
> It works OK on one of my desktop computers (in Tools | Folder options
> the default app is PSP8, but WPFV is called first, after which I can
> easily switch to the default app); however, on my laptop and my other
> desktop, the same action immediately brings up PSP8. I like WPFV
> better for viewing because it comes up a lot faster.
>
> Thanks,
> Steve

Anonymous
June 9, 2005 8:51:08 PM

I tried it; nothing happened. Double-clicking the file still calls up
the PSP8 program.

Steve
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 9:33:11 AM

Okay, that worked; thank you. Now I have a new question: When I hit
the edit button at the bottom of the WPFV window, it calls up the
Microsoft Paint program. How can I change the default picture editor
to PSP8?

Thank you,
Steve
Anonymous
June 11, 2005 10:29:20 PM

Change the default image editor application, invoked from Windows Picture
and Fax Viewer:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/imgeditor.htm

Note: You need to know if PSP8 needs any command-line argument. For example,

c:\psp\psp.exe -edit <filename.jpg>

If it needs any such argument, you'll need to include that as well. My
utility above does not add the command-line parameters.

--

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...

!