Ice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

What is a good template for a "treasure thief"?

I have a character with 100 med, 100 EI, 87 magic, and
76 lockpicking that I could use, but is magic the best way
to go for defense? If I add stealing and stealth its not as
hard as starting a new character.

Any ideas?

Ice

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:58:14 -0600, Ice <nobody@noplace.com> wrote:

>What is a good template for a "treasure thief"?
>
>I have a character with 100 med, 100 EI, 87 magic, and
>76 lockpicking that I could use, but is magic the best way
>to go for defense? If I add stealing and stealth its not as
>hard as starting a new character.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Ice

Well, when I designed a Doom thief character I used this (for a veteran
720 skill cap char):

110 Stealing (+jewelry to get to ~125)
100 Stealth
100 Hiding
100 Lockpicking
64 Magery
82 Healing
100 Fencing
64 Anatomy

Defense isn't too important if you can recall 100% and hide well.
Remember you need high hiding to do stealth unless that has changed.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

archeon

"Ice" <nobody@noplace.com> wrote in message

> What is a good template for a "treasure thief"?
>
> I have a character with 100 med, 100 EI, 87 magic, and
> 76 lockpicking that I could use, but is magic the best way
> to go for defense? If I add stealing and stealth its not as
> hard as starting a new character.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Ice

If you plan on soloing maps, I'd suggest the bardic skills, although it
might hurt you to lose the EI!
So you might have:
Carto 100
Lockpicking 100
Music 100
Peace 100
Provo 100
Magery 100
Med 100

or something like that. You can cast EVs to keep many creatures busy, and
Invis cast upon yourself just before the initial spawn on a map will keep
you from being instantly targeted by 4 foes.

Archeon

Ice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:04:18 -0000, "Archeon" <archeon@ukgateway.net>
wrote:

>"Ice" <nobody@noplace.com> wrote in message
>>
>> What is a good template for a "treasure thief"?
>>
>> I have a character with 100 med, 100 EI, 87 magic, and
>> 76 lockpicking that I could use, but is magic the best way
>> to go for defense? If I add stealing and stealth its not as
>> hard as starting a new character.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Ice
>
>If you plan on soloing maps, I'd suggest the bardic skills, although it
>might hurt you to lose the EI!
>So you might have:
>Carto 100
>Lockpicking 100
>Music 100
>Peace 100
>Provo 100
>Magery 100
>Med 100
>
>or something like that. You can cast EVs to keep many creatures busy, and
>Invis cast upon yourself just before the initial spawn on a map will keep
>you from being instantly targeted by 4 foes.
>
>Archeon

I was thinking more of a "doom" type thief than a T-Hunter.
I have a T-hunter at 97.9 carto, and 97.8 lockpicking, 100 swords,
tactics, anatomy, and healing. Thanks, I may think about moving
her over to magic. Not enough room for Provocation and music
along with everything else.

Thanks,

Ice

Ice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 16:00:54 -0600, Michael Cecil
<macecil@comcast.net> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 14:58:14 -0600, Ice <nobody@noplace.com> wrote:
>

>>What is a good template for a "treasure thief"?
>>
>>I have a character with 100 med, 100 EI, 87 magic, and
>>76 lockpicking that I could use, but is magic the best way
>>to go for defense? If I add stealing and stealth its not as
>>hard as starting a new character.
>>
>>Any ideas?
>>
>>Ice
>
>Well, when I designed a Doom thief character I used this (for a veteran
>720 skill cap char):
>
>110 Stealing (+jewelry to get to ~125)
>100 Stealth
>100 Hiding
>100 Lockpicking
>64 Magery
>82 Healing
>100 Fencing
>64 Anatomy
>
>Defense isn't too important if you can recall 100% and hide well.
>Remember you need high hiding to do stealth unless that has changed.
That's the kind of advice I was looking for. I already have a head
start on the hiding, magery, and lockpicking. Now I just need
Stealing, Stealth, etc.......

Thanks,

Ice

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005, Archeon wrote:

> "Ice" <nobody@noplace.com> wrote in message
> >
> > What is a good template for a "treasure thief"?
> >
> > I have a character with 100 med, 100 EI, 87 magic, and
> > 76 lockpicking that I could use, but is magic the best way
> > to go for defense? If I add stealing and stealth its not as
> > hard as starting a new character.
> >
> > Any ideas?
> >
> > Ice
>
> If you plan on soloing maps, I'd suggest the bardic skills, although it
> might hurt you to lose the EI!
> So you might have:
> Carto 100
> Lockpicking 100
> Music 100
> Peace 100
> Provo 100
> Magery 100
> Med 100

I was going to suggest similar (I run that with Powerscrolls, for 100% bard
chance on L5 monsters), but I got the impression he wanted a char that could
double as a crate thief :(. If that's not the case, I suggest going with
the above template, dropping med for powerscrolls where applicable (can
always get MR armor, and scrolled bard skills are pretty important).

--
Paul W. Lints UIN:25030144
pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu

"Ice" <nobody@noplace.com> wrote in message

> What is a good template for a "treasure thief"?
>
> I have a character with 100 med, 100 EI, 87 magic, and
> 76 lockpicking that I could use, but is magic the best way
> to go for defense? If I add stealing and stealth its not as
> hard as starting a new character.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Ice

You need 100 lock picking and 100 cartography. For the rest of 520 points,
you might choose one of these:

A. bard 115x3 (peace, provoke, music)
mage 115 magery, 60 med

B. tamer 115x3 (animal lore, animal taming, vet)
mage 115 magery, 60 med

C. mage 115 magery, 115 EI, 70 med
bard 110 peace, 110 music

D. mage 115 magery, 110 EI, 70 med
tamer 115 taming, 110 lore

archeon

"Paul W. Lints" <pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu> wrote in message
> I was going to suggest similar (I run that with Powerscrolls, for 100%
> bard
> chance on L5 monsters), but I got the impression he wanted a char that
> could
> double as a crate thief :(. If that's not the case, I suggest going with
> the above template, dropping med for powerscrolls where applicable (can
> always get MR armor, and scrolled bard skills are pretty important).

Yeah, I think I missed her gist actually :) Never got far into actual
thieving...

Archeon

I made a Treasure Hunter - Thief - Stealth - Mage

100 Lockpicking
90 Stealing Scrolled to 110
80 Stealth
100 Hiding
100 Cartography
100 Magery Scrolled to 110
100 Evaluate Intelligence Scrolled to 110
The rest is in Meditation.

I can mix and match some jewelry and minor artifacts, like the burglar's
bandana, to get to maximum skills for whatever role I want to play. If I
want to steal in Doom, I'll pop on the burglar's bandana and a +10 stealing
ring and be ready to go. If I want to be a stealth mage, I'll pick up a +10
spell book, put on a +10 eval ring and it's off to the races.

Turned out to be a fun character to play.

"Ice" <nobody@noplace.com> wrote in message

> What is a good template for a "treasure thief"?
>
> I have a character with 100 med, 100 EI, 87 magic, and
> 76 lockpicking that I could use, but is magic the best way
> to go for defense? If I add stealing and stealth its not as
> hard as starting a new character.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Ice

If all you're going to do is steal Doom rares then the only skill you
have to have is stealing. Hiding and stealth are nice if you decide to
go for the spawn theif idea or something but Doom rares don't require
it. You can throw stealing onto just about any character template to
accomplish this. You want at least 115 stealing in my opinion
otherwise you fail too many times but the minimum to steal a rare is
only 100. With burglars bandana and some +stealing jewelry you don't
need to train higher than 80 stealing which can be done easily in a
day.

The most common template I've been seeing in the spawns lately seems
to be hiding, stealth, stealing, necro, ninjitsu, weapon. I have a few
chars following this concept on different shards and they are very fun
to play. I'm not a very good "thieves guild" theif but it's a blast to
sneak into a harrower and start spamming Wither at the front line pk
defense or trying to get a few hits off on the harry and run before I
get killed. However, those things don't require stealing at all! If
you go for this make sure your char is male so wraith form is more
difficult to see.

On the t-hunter side note, I use a peace/provoke/mage template with
the lockpicking and cart. I actually soulstone the cartography at
times in lieu of fishing. I solo level 6 tmaps with ease on this
character and with the upcoming changes to EV's it will probably be
even easier.

On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:31:40 -0600, Ice <nobody@noplace.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:04:18 -0000, "Archeon" <archeon@ukgateway.net>
>wrote:
>

>>"Ice" <nobody@noplace.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> What is a good template for a "treasure thief"?
>>>
>>> I have a character with 100 med, 100 EI, 87 magic, and
>>> 76 lockpicking that I could use, but is magic the best way
>>> to go for defense? If I add stealing and stealth its not as
>>> hard as starting a new character.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>
>>> Ice
>>
>>If you plan on soloing maps, I'd suggest the bardic skills, although it
>>might hurt you to lose the EI!
>>So you might have:
>>Carto 100
>>Lockpicking 100
>>Music 100
>>Peace 100
>>Provo 100
>>Magery 100
>>Med 100
>>
>>or something like that. You can cast EVs to keep many creatures busy, and
>>Invis cast upon yourself just before the initial spawn on a map will keep
>>you from being instantly targeted by 4 foes.
>>
>>Archeon
>>
>I was thinking more of a "doom" type thief than a T-Hunter.
>I have a T-hunter at 97.9 carto, and 97.8 lockpicking, 100 swords,
>tactics, anatomy, and healing. Thanks, I may think about moving
>her over to magic. Not enough room for Provocation and music
>along with everything else.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ice

XIIxOveR wrote:
*snip*

> On the t-hunter side note, I use a peace/provoke/mage template with
> the lockpicking and cart. I actually soulstone the cartography at
> times in lieu of fishing. I solo level 6 tmaps with ease on this
> character and with the upcoming changes to EV's it will probably be
> even easier.
What upcoming change to EV ?

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:33:08 +0100, ZoombyWoof
<zoombywoofremove@thishotmail.com> wrote:

>XIIxOveR wrote:
>*snip*
>>
>> On the t-hunter side note, I use a peace/provoke/mage template with
>> the lockpicking and cart. I actually soulstone the cartography at
>> times in lieu of fishing. I solo level 6 tmaps with ease on this
>> character and with the upcoming changes to EV's it will probably be
>> even easier.
>What upcoming change to EV ?

Mages will only be able to summon one creature or EV or BS at a time and
must remain with 4 tiles otherwise it will either "poof" or become hostile
and attack the mage.

Well, in my dream world.

--

"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:33:08 +0100, ZoombyWoof
> <zoombywoofremove@thishotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>XIIxOveR wrote:
>>*snip*
>>>
>>> On the t-hunter side note, I use a peace/provoke/mage template with
>>> the lockpicking and cart. I actually soulstone the cartography at
>>> times in lieu of fishing. I solo level 6 tmaps with ease on this
>>> character and with the upcoming changes to EV's it will probably be
>>> even easier.
>>What upcoming change to EV ?
>
> Mages will only be able to summon one creature or EV or BS at a time and
> must remain with 4 tiles otherwise it will either "poof" or become hostile
> and attack the mage.
>
> Well, in my dream world.

Can we have a separate purple llama vortex spell in your ideal world? Those
things are so much cooler than the standard EV! :)

The change I heard about is that they are going to cap the number of EVs or
other summoned creatures in an 8X8 area - not sure what the cap is yet. But,
if the area is 'full', then either one of the first EVs will 'poof', or you
will simply fail to cast. This only applies to uncontrolled summons - things
like earth eles will be left as is, blade spirits, EVs, etc, will be
affected.

On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:03:36 -0000, "Alergic Alchemist"
<allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 22:33:08 +0100, ZoombyWoof
>> <zoombywoofremove@thishotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>XIIxOveR wrote:
>>>*snip*

>>>What upcoming change to EV ?
>>
>> Mages will only be able to summon one creature or EV or BS at a time and
>> must remain with 4 tiles otherwise it will either "poof" or become hostile
>> and attack the mage.
>>
>> Well, in my dream world.
>
>Can we have a separate purple llama vortex spell in your ideal world? Those
>things are so much cooler than the standard EV! :)

Yes, but you must be able to craft the proper leash first.

--

Alergic Alchemist wrote:

> The change I heard about is that they are going to cap the number of EVs
> or other summoned creatures in an 8X8 area - not sure what the cap is yet.
> But, if the area is 'full', then either one of the first EVs will 'poof',
> or you will simply fail to cast. This only applies to uncontrolled summons
> - things like earth eles will be left as is, blade spirits, EVs, etc, will
> be affected.

Quotation from Stratics:

1) Energy Vortices and Blade Spirits will now be limited to a total of six
(6) per five by five (5x5) square of tiles centered around each Energy
Vortex or Blade Spirits. Should the total number of Energy Vortices and
Blade Spirits in an area exceed this limit Energy Vortices and Blade
Spirits in the area will be selected at random and dispelled until the
limit is no longer exceeded. No mana or reagents will be returned to the
mage whose Energy Vortex of Blade Spirit was dispelled.

2) Energy Vortices and Blade Spirits will now take two control slots.

3) Energy Vortices and Blade Spirits now have double the hit points.

4) Energy Vortices get a massive boost to their dispel resist to bring them
into parity with blade spirits and most of the controlled summons in this
regard.

5) All magery summons, uncontrolled and controlled get a boost to their
dispel resistance.

6) When Energy Vortices and Blade Spirits are idle they will now actively
scan for nearby creatures to attack. This means they will now notice and
attack creatures that spawn beside them instead of continuing to sit idle.

7) Blade Spirits now take 3/5 the time to cast as they used to.

Torsten

> On Tue, 15 Mar 2005 10:03:36 -0000, "Alergic Alchemist"
> <allyTchemist@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>"Michael Cecil" <macecil@comcast.net> wrote in message

>>> Mages will only be able to summon one creature or EV or BS at a time and
>>> must remain with 4 tiles otherwise it will either "poof" or become
>>> hostile
>>> and attack the mage.
>>>
>>> Well, in my dream world.
>>
>>Can we have a separate purple llama vortex spell in your ideal world?
>>Those
>>things are so much cooler than the standard EV! :)
>
> Yes, but you must be able to craft the proper leash first.

No problem!!! *runs around dying all sheep and cows in sight purple*