Show Desktop button freezes taskbar

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi All,

Subject says it all. I own a IBM Thinkpad T30 running Windows XP, and
everytime I hit the "Show Desktop" icon the taskbar freezes and it
takes it like 30 seconds to recover, release the taskbar, and actually
show the desktop.

The rest of the computer remains functional, and nothing interesting
shows up in Task Manager, while the task bar is hung.

I used to run Windows 2K on this very box, and it worked fine on that.
Any one know how to fix this ?

TIA,
rouble
2 answers Last reply
More about show desktop button freezes taskbar
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    You may want to consider removing the Display Desktop button and use these
    shortcuts instead:

    Windows Key + M = This minimizes all windows to the taskbar

    Windows Key + D = Same function as the Show Desktop button.

    I do believe this was a minor problem with XP prior to SP2. Something about
    the icon.... using the windows key shortcuts above do the exact same thing
    without the icon. Try it and see if itfreezes the taskbar when you don't
    use the icon.

    --
    Regards,

    Lawrence Wong
    <rouble@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Subject says it all. I own a IBM Thinkpad T30 running Windows XP, and
    > everytime I hit the "Show Desktop" icon the taskbar freezes and it
    > takes it like 30 seconds to recover, release the taskbar, and actually
    > show the desktop.
    >
    > The rest of the computer remains functional, and nothing interesting
    > shows up in Task Manager, while the task bar is hung.
    >
    > I used to run Windows 2K on this very box, and it worked fine on that.
    > Any one know how to fix this ?
    >
    > TIA,
    > rouble

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

    Delete the shortcut and re-create.
    Use Notepad to create a file with the following lines:
    [Shell]
    Command=2
    IconFile=explorer.exe,3
    [Taskbar]
    Command=ToggleDesktop
    Then save it as Show Desktop.scf and drag it to your quick launch bar.

    Re:-How to Re-create the Show Desktop Icon on Quick Launch Toolbar
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=190355

    regards,
    ssg MS-MVP
    rouble@gmail.com wrote:

    > Hi All,
    >
    > Subject says it all. I own a IBM Thinkpad T30 running Windows XP, and
    > everytime I hit the "Show Desktop" icon the taskbar freezes and it
    > takes it like 30 seconds to recover, release the taskbar, and actually
    > show the desktop.
    >
    > The rest of the computer remains functional, and nothing interesting
    > shows up in Task Manager, while the task bar is hung.
    >
    > I used to run Windows 2K on this very box, and it worked fine on that.
    > Any one know how to fix this ?
    >
    > TIA,
    > rouble

Taskbar Desktops Windows XP