Can't remove a directory

I can't remove or get any properties or anything on a windows directory
C:\xxx.xxx is has a sub directy also titled xxx.xxx then a 1000 files that
are just numbered. Nothing will open them or allow them to be read. I want to
delete them but can't. I'm running XP home SP2.
--
JPB
6 answers Last reply

    Hi,

    Please see this link on "taking ownership" of a folder:
    http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership

    Then open a command prompt (start/run cmd) and navigate to the parent
    directory of the folder to be deleted. From there, run "RD /s /q
    <directory_name>".

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "J.P. Biddle" <JPBiddle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I can't remove or get any properties or anything on a windows directory
    > C:\xxx.xxx is has a sub directy also titled xxx.xxx then a 1000 files that
    > are just numbered. Nothing will open them or allow them to be read. I want
    > delete them but can't. I'm running XP home SP2.
    > --
    > JPB

    Tried it but windows claims it can't find the file. Under properties it only
    shows the attribute read only and won't allow changes. I've tried this in
    safe mode as well.
    Thanks
    --JPB
    --
    JPB

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Please see this link on "taking ownership" of a folder:
    > http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership
    >
    > Then open a command prompt (start/run cmd) and navigate to the parent
    > directory of the folder to be deleted. From there, run "RD /s /q
    > <directory_name>".
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "J.P. Biddle" <JPBiddle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I can't remove or get any properties or anything on a windows directory
    > > C:\xxx.xxx is has a sub directy also titled xxx.xxx then a 1000 files that
    > > are just numbered. Nothing will open them or allow them to be read. I want
    > > delete them but can't. I'm running XP home SP2.
    > > --
    > > JPB

    permissions....

    try deleting in safe mode

    etc....

    "J.P. Biddle" <JPBiddle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I can't remove or get any properties or anything on a windows directory
    > C:\xxx.xxx is has a sub directy also titled xxx.xxx then a 1000 files that
    > are just numbered. Nothing will open them or allow them to be read. I want
    > delete them but can't. I'm running XP home SP2.
    > --
    > JPB

    Hi,

    Which doesn't work, the ownership steps or the RD command? What is the
    precise command you are typing and what exact message are you receiving?

    --

    > Tried it but windows claims it can't find the file. Under properties it
    > only
    > shows the attribute read only and won't allow changes. I've tried this in
    > safe mode as well.
    > Thanks
    > --JPB
    > --
    > JPB
    >

    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Please see this link on "taking ownership" of a folder:
    >> http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership
    >>
    >> Then open a command prompt (start/run cmd) and navigate to the parent
    >> directory of the folder to be deleted. From there, run "RD /s /q
    >> <directory_name>".
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "J.P. Biddle" <JPBiddle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I can't remove or get any properties or anything on a windows directory
    >> > C:\xxx.xxx is has a sub directy also titled xxx.xxx then a 1000 files
    >> > that
    >> > are just numbered. Nothing will open them or allow them to be read. I
    >> > want
    >> > delete them but can't. I'm running XP home SP2.
    >> > --
    >> > JPB

    I used the rd /s /q. The only message was file not found or something to that
    effect. What I can't figure out is what app placed the directory there as I
    can get no information from the files themselves.
    Thanks.
    --JPB
    --
    JPB

    "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Which doesn't work, the ownership steps or the RD command? What is the
    > precise command you are typing and what exact message are you receiving?
    >
    > --
    > Best of Luck,

    > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >
    > "J.P. Biddle" <JPBiddle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Tried it but windows claims it can't find the file. Under properties it
    > > only
    > > shows the attribute read only and won't allow changes. I've tried this in
    > > safe mode as well.
    > > Thanks
    > > --JPB
    > > --
    > > JPB
    > >

    > > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi,
    > >>
    > >> Please see this link on "taking ownership" of a folder:
    > >> http://rickrogers.org/fixes.htm#Taking_ownership
    > >>
    > >> Then open a command prompt (start/run cmd) and navigate to the parent
    > >> directory of the folder to be deleted. From there, run "RD /s /q
    > >> <directory_name>".
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> Best of Luck,

    > >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    > >> Associate Expert - WindowsXP Expert Zone
    > >> www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    > >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    > >>
    > >> "J.P. Biddle" <JPBiddle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hi,

    The RD command is quite powerful, you may need to run a chkdsk (error
    checking) on the drive.

    --

    >I used the rd /s /q. The only message was file not found or something to
    >that
    > effect. What I can't figure out is what app placed the directory there as
    > can get no information from the files themselves.
    > Thanks.
    > --JPB
    > --
    > JPB
    >

    > "Rick "Nutcase" Rogers" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Which doesn't work, the ownership steps or the RD command? What is the
    >> precise command you are typing and what exact message are you receiving?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Best of Luck,

    >> http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    >> Windows help - www.rickrogers.org
    >>
    >> "J.P. Biddle" <JPBiddle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Tried it but windows claims it can't find the file. Under properties it
    >> > only
    >> > shows the attribute read only and won't allow changes. I've tried this
    >> > in
    >> > safe mode as well.
    >> > Thanks
    >> > --JPB