Search a word in *.java files with windows XP sp2 Search...

June 9, 2005 5:08:02 AM

Hello,

Search a word in *.java files with Windows XP sp2 Search... are not
fonctionnaly, can you help me...

Thanks.
--
Chris
Anonymous

Try the following: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=309173

"Loiacono" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Search a word in *.java files with Windows XP sp2 Search... are not
> fonctionnaly, can you help me...
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Chris
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 11:45:02 AM

Thanks for your Help...

Best regards.

--
Chris

"Steve Rollins" wrote:

> Try the following: http://support.microsoft.com/?id=309173
>

> "Loiacono" wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Search a word in *.java files with Windows XP sp2 Search... are not
> > fonctionnaly, can you help me...
> >
> > Thanks.
> > --
> > Chris
June 9, 2005 4:56:37 PM

"Loiacono" <Loiacono@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Search a word in *.java files with Windows XP sp2 Search... are not
>fonctionnaly, can you help me...

I use the "findstr" command line tool to do that sort of thing. Open a
command window ("DOS box") and type: findstr /?

--
Tim Slattery
MS MVP(DTS)

Loiacono wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Search a word in *.java files with Windows XP sp2 Search...
> are not fonctionnaly, can you help me...
Hi,

WinXP's search function filters out files to search in based on file
extensions (see further below).

Install the free Agent Ransack, it searches for text strings in *all*
types of files, and not just in a selection of "approved" file extensions
as the built-in search does. It's a *much* better search tool as well...

Download it from here:
http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/default.aspx

Agent Ransack can save the search result to a file (or clipboard), as text,
comma separated text or tab separated text. E.g. Excel reads comma separated
text (csv) very well.

When searching for text inside files, Agent Ransack is also able to do a
preview of the lines the text was found in (just do a single click on the
found file).
Also, you can use regular expression on both the file name part and the find
text in files part.

If you still want to use the not so good search tool that comes
with WinXP to search for text in files, take a look at this:

Using the "A Word or Phrase in the File" Search Criterion May Not Work
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;309173

Or this:

Add Files to Containing text Searches
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_fix_search.h...

the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
June 12, 2005 8:17:52 PM

I kind of like the idea of only searching within a prescribed set of files
by file type. That is a very good idea. For example what is the sense of
searching within a .jpg for the word "main?" To be scalable we must be able
to add\delete the file types that get the Search within. Is that what Agent
Ransack can do? If so will it work in Windows 2000 also? Thanks.

--
George Hester
_______________________________
"Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
> Loiacono wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Search a word in *.java files with Windows XP sp2 Search...
> > are not fonctionnaly, can you help me...
> Hi,
>
> WinXP's search function filters out files to search in based on file
> extensions (see further below).
>
> Install the free Agent Ransack, it searches for text strings in *all*
> types of files, and not just in a selection of "approved" file extensions
> as the built-in search does. It's a *much* better search tool as well...
>
> Download it from here:
> http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/default.aspx
>
> Agent Ransack can save the search result to a file (or clipboard), as
text,
> comma separated text or tab separated text. E.g. Excel reads comma
separated
> text (csv) very well.
>
> When searching for text inside files, Agent Ransack is also able to do a
> preview of the lines the text was found in (just do a single click on the
> found file).
> Also, you can use regular expression on both the file name part and the
find
> text in files part.
>

> If you still want to use the not so good search tool that comes
> with WinXP to search for text in files, take a look at this:
>
> Using the "A Word or Phrase in the File" Search Criterion May Not Work
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;309173
>
> Or this:
>
> Add Files to Containing text Searches
> http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_fix_search.h...

> the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
> http://www.microsoft.com/technet/scriptcenter/default.m...
Anonymous
January 29, 2009 10:37:23 AM

Please check to turn on the "Index file types with unknown extensions".

Follow the steps below as given in Microsoft solution:

Click Start, and then click Search (or point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders).
Click Change preferences, and then click With Indexing Service (for faster local searches).
Click Change Indexing Service Settings (Advanced). Note that you do not have to turn on the Index service.
On the toolbar, click Show/Hide Console Tree.
In the left pane, right-click Indexing Service on Local Machine, and then click Properties.
On the Generation tab, click to select the Index files with unknown extensions check box, and then click OK.
Close the Indexing Service console.
!