Any chance of an updated UO client?

Greetings! I used to play on Chesapeake years ago (Dreadlord days..).
Even tho my account is long gone I am curious if OSI is taking any steps to
revive this once great game? If you compare UO to the current MMORPGs out
there (EQ, WoW, etc) it has a lot going for it; housing, a great tradeskill
system, etc. Is there any talk of them retooling the client to bring it up
to date graphics wise?

Ice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:42:13 -0600, JMC
<jmcastle@mindspring.NOSPAM.com> wrote:

>Greetings! I used to play on Chesapeake years ago (Dreadlord days..).
>Even tho my account is long gone I am curious if OSI is taking any steps to
>revive this once great game? If you compare UO to the current MMORPGs out
>there (EQ, WoW, etc) it has a lot going for it; housing, a great tradeskill
>system, etc. Is there any talk of them retooling the client to bring it up
>to date graphics wise?

Have you even looked at the 3D client that is used now. There are a
lot of us that would quit UO if they tried to make it look like EQ and
WoW. Some of us cant play EQ or WoW because of the 3D client,
so we do not "want" them to take away the 2D client.

Spend a little cash and get the new Samurai Empire and give it a try.
This is not the place to start about how great the "Dreadlord days"
were. The few of us that are still around HATED that time.
UO is a different game now, with totally different requirement.

Ice <nobody@noplace.com> wrote in

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:42:13 -0600, JMC
><jmcastle@mindspring.NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
>>Greetings! I used to play on Chesapeake years ago (Dreadlord days..).
>> Even tho my account is long gone I am curious if OSI is taking any
>>steps to revive this once great game? If you compare UO to the
>>current MMORPGs out there (EQ, WoW, etc) it has a lot going for it;
>>housing, a great tradeskill system, etc. Is there any talk of them
>>retooling the client to bring it up to date graphics wise?
>
> Have you even looked at the 3D client that is used now. There are a
> lot of us that would quit UO if they tried to make it look like EQ and
> WoW. Some of us cant play EQ or WoW because of the 3D client,
> so we do not "want" them to take away the 2D client.
>
> Spend a little cash and get the new Samurai Empire and give it a try.
> This is not the place to start about how great the "Dreadlord days"
> were. The few of us that are still around HATED that time.
> UO is a different game now, with totally different requirement.

Thanks for the reply :) It wasn't my intention to 'pine about the old
days'. I for one was glad when they did the felucca/tramel thing because
so much of the PvP was non-consensual 'pick on the poor guy trying to
mine' garbage.

With regards to the client, I quit around the time they released that
initial 'new' client because it ran horribly. My understanding from
reading many posts since then is that people still opt to use the
original/old client which makes perfect sense to me.
My question was if OSI had any plans to release a 3d-accelerated client
that still stuck to the tried and true 3rd person, top-down view that has
been the staple of Ultima. I don't expect them to change it to an EQ/WoW
or 1st person perspective.

I understand that UO still enjoys a niche place in the market but with
the cancelation of UO2 and their refocusing on UO I was just curious if
there was any buzz about making moves to bring in more new people, beyond
just the release of expansions such as Samurai Empire? I realize this
will ruffle the feathers of old school UO'ers, but lets be honest; if you
pick up and look at the box for Samurai Empire (as I did this weekend at
Best Buy) it is hard to imagine them luring new players with those dated
graphics - and yes I know there is a great game hiding underneath :)

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Ice wrote:

> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:42:13 -0600, JMC
> <jmcastle@mindspring.NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>
> >Greetings! I used to play on Chesapeake years ago (Dreadlord days..).
> >Even tho my account is long gone I am curious if OSI is taking any steps to
> >revive this once great game? If you compare UO to the current MMORPGs out
> >there (EQ, WoW, etc) it has a lot going for it; housing, a great tradeskill
> >system, etc. Is there any talk of them retooling the client to bring it up
> >to date graphics wise?
>
> Have you even looked at the 3D client that is used now. There are a
> lot of us that would quit UO if they tried to make it look like EQ and
> WoW. Some of us cant play EQ or WoW because of the 3D client,
> so we do not "want" them to take away the 2D client.

Making a real, quality 3D client doesn't mean they have to take away the
current 2D client. If it makes you feel any better, Jessica Lewis (a.k.a.
Lady Lu, currently the one holding whips over the Devs' heads) said they had
no plans to force people into a 3D client. Doesn't mean they won't make a
new client, just means they won't get rid of the beloved 2D one. They
really need something that can attract new players, though =\.

--
Paul W. Lints UIN:25030144
pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu

JMC wrote:
> Ice <nobody@noplace.com> wrote in
<snip>
> I understand that UO still enjoys a niche place in the market but with
> the cancelation of UO2 and their refocusing on UO I was just curious if
> there was any buzz about making moves to bring in more new people, beyond
> just the release of expansions such as Samurai Empire? I realize this
> will ruffle the feathers of old school UO'ers, but lets be honest; if you
> pick up and look at the box for Samurai Empire (as I did this weekend at
> Best Buy) it is hard to imagine them luring new players with those dated
> graphics - and yes I know there is a great game hiding underneath :)

The game is still huge and crowded on the asian shards. Probably several
reasons for this, not the least of which is several facets of good
customer service like helpful GMs, banning jerks aka TOS enforcement,
local shards vs. EQ's everything in Sand Diego<?>. It looks like most of
the efforts to lure new people in will be made for that market.

I will sum up the problems with the game as it is played on the USA
shards in one sentence. The other day I was able to bank next to
"Canabis" and his white wyrm "poop." I'd like to turn him in to the
American GMs but the only outcome would probably be a black mark against
my account for bothering GMs while he is trying to smoke his crack pipe
or the last guy playing the shard other then myself would be gone.<sic>

JMC wrote:
> Ice <nobody@noplace.com> wrote in
>

>>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:42:13 -0600, JMC
>><jmcastle@mindspring.NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Greetings! I used to play on Chesapeake years ago (Dreadlord days..).
>>>Even tho my account is long gone I am curious if OSI is taking any
>>>steps to revive this once great game? If you compare UO to the
>>>current MMORPGs out there (EQ, WoW, etc) it has a lot going for it;
>>>housing, a great tradeskill system, etc. Is there any talk of them
>>>retooling the client to bring it up to date graphics wise?
>>
>>Have you even looked at the 3D client that is used now. There are a
>>lot of us that would quit UO if they tried to make it look like EQ and
>>WoW. Some of us cant play EQ or WoW because of the 3D client,
>>so we do not "want" them to take away the 2D client.
>>
>>Spend a little cash and get the new Samurai Empire and give it a try.
>>This is not the place to start about how great the "Dreadlord days"
>>were. The few of us that are still around HATED that time.
>>UO is a different game now, with totally different requirement.
>>

> Thanks for the reply :) It wasn't my intention to 'pine about the old
> days'. I for one was glad when they did the felucca/tramel thing because
> so much of the PvP was non-consensual 'pick on the poor guy trying to
> mine' garbage.
>
> With regards to the client, I quit around the time they released that
> initial 'new' client because it ran horribly. My understanding from
> reading many posts since then is that people still opt to use the
> original/old client which makes perfect sense to me.
> My question was if OSI had any plans to release a 3d-accelerated client
> that still stuck to the tried and true 3rd person, top-down view that has
> been the staple of Ultima. I don't expect them to change it to an EQ/WoW
> or 1st person perspective.
>
> I understand that UO still enjoys a niche place in the market but with
> the cancelation of UO2 and their refocusing on UO I was just curious if
> there was any buzz about making moves to bring in more new people, beyond
> just the release of expansions such as Samurai Empire? I realize this
> will ruffle the feathers of old school UO'ers, but lets be honest; if you
> pick up and look at the box for Samurai Empire (as I did this weekend at
> Best Buy) it is hard to imagine them luring new players with those dated
> graphics - and yes I know there is a great game hiding underneath :)
You're absolutely right, I think that the "lack" of "modern" graphics,
compared to the newer titles available, will make it hard to attract
new-young players. I use the 3D-client, only for one reason really, I
like to be able to have bigger bags in my rucksack :). If it weren't
for that little detail, I would still use the 2D client.
UO is till the best MMORPG game outthere in my opinion, but I'm an
"old-school" UO'er :), but I have tried some other games as well. I
even tried the WoW beta for a while but got tired real quick of it. I
seemed to be another Anarchy Online game, mission/quests all the time,
and No housing! :)

You're original question was about a new client. I haven't seen anything
about that in the boards or on the UO site at all, so I guess we have to
stuck to the old ones a while longer :) I wouldn't mind though if they
developed a client with a bit like the Heretic 2 perspective. That one
was really cool :)

/ZW

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 15:24:43 -0800, "Paul W. Lints"
<pwlints@deleteme.csupomona.edu> wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005, Ice wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:42:13 -0600, JMC
>> <jmcastle@mindspring.NOSPAM.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Greetings! I used to play on Chesapeake years ago (Dreadlord days..).
>> >Even tho my account is long gone I am curious if OSI is taking any steps to
>> >revive this once great game? If you compare UO to the current MMORPGs out
>> >there (EQ, WoW, etc) it has a lot going for it; housing, a great tradeskill
>> >system, etc. Is there any talk of them retooling the client to bring it up
>> >to date graphics wise?
>>
>> Have you even looked at the 3D client that is used now. There are a
>> lot of us that would quit UO if they tried to make it look like EQ and
>> WoW. Some of us cant play EQ or WoW because of the 3D client,
>> so we do not "want" them to take away the 2D client.
>>

>Making a real, quality 3D client doesn't mean they have to take away the
>current 2D client. If it makes you feel any better, Jessica Lewis (a.k.a.
>Lady Lu, currently the one holding whips over the Devs' heads) said they had
>no plans to force people into a 3D client. Doesn't mean they won't make a
>new client, just means they won't get rid of the beloved 2D one. They
>really need something that can attract new players, though =\.

My guess is that the "secret project" that many of the devs are
working on includes a new modern client along with a rewrite
of much of the ancient buggy server code. If they're serious
about keeping UO as more than a dwindling niche game they
really don't have much choice.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

"JMC" <jmcastle@mindspring.NOSPAM.com> wrote in message

> a great tradeskill system,

They trashed the blacksmith & tailor skills with the release of (AoS) Age of
Shadows. You can't craft anything thats worth anything other than selling to
the NPC vendors. The loot from monsters is far better. The Runic tools that
were susposed to let us make good items were a tall tale. The common ones
still make stuff far lower in quality than turns up as loot, and the few
tools that do turn up that can make something good are extremely rare to the
point they seem to be just Urban Legends. Those tools are obtained through
whats called a BOD (bulk order deed) System which I'll let you read up on, I
don't even care to discuss it. I'll be throwning stuff around the room here
and have to clean it up after I post this if I dwell on it to much.

Check out http://www.uo.com/ageofshadows/ for a positive sounding pile of
info on AoS and then check out http://uo.stratics.com/ for general info on
the game.

AoS also made combat require items that give bonus's to your skills. Ultima
Online now imitates Diablo. If your into hardcore PvM or PvP you will need
to find or buy (for millions in gold in many cases) such items. The new
monsters are rigged up to balance against such items and artifacts and
beating them with average non-uber gear is much harder.

I joined to play a Crafter Merchant just after UO:Renissance came out. Since
AoS, I'm just hanging on to see if they undo the damage to the crafting
system. I'd rather play Crafter Merchant than Hunter Merchant but the later
is the only choice since AoS.

I'm not happy with UO as it is. Others love it. DO some homework and see
what you think of it.

There's hope though. Check out Mr. Tact's new blog at www.mrtact.com

If they actually let him do what he's talking about in the blog
crafting could make a comeback.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:31:57 -0500, Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote:

>On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:21:08 -0500, "Baydlor" <baydlor@hotmail.com>
>wrote:
>>I joined to play a Crafter Merchant just after UO:Renissance came out. Since
>>AoS, I'm just hanging on to see if they undo the damage to the crafting
>>system. I'd rather play Crafter Merchant than Hunter Merchant but the later
>>is the only choice since AoS.
>>
>>I'm not happy with UO as it is. Others love it. DO some homework and see
>>what you think of it.
>>

>There's hope though. Check out Mr. Tact's new blog at www.mrtact.com
>
>If they actually let him do what he's talking about in the blog
>crafting could make a comeback.

Not bad. I wouldn't grant any Fame off player-generated BODs because
then players would simply game the system to turn themselves into
Dread Lords. The player could "sweeten the pot" by adding a special
item to the BOD, however.
--
Paleontologists recently announced they have
discovered when Man first discovered language:

And it was BAD language.

Ice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

wrote:

>"JMC" <jmcastle@mindspring.NOSPAM.com> wrote in message
>
>> a great tradeskill system,
>
>They trashed the blacksmith & tailor skills with the release of (AoS) Age of
>Shadows. You can't craft anything thats worth anything other than selling to
>the NPC vendors. The loot from monsters is far better. The Runic tools that
>were susposed to let us make good items were a tall tale. The common ones
>still make stuff far lower in quality than turns up as loot, and the few
>tools that do turn up that can make something good are extremely rare to the
>point they seem to be just Urban Legends. Those tools are obtained through
>whats called a BOD (bulk order deed) System which I'll let you read up on, I
>don't even care to discuss it. I'll be throwning stuff around the room here
>and have to clean it up after I post this if I dwell on it to much.

I agree that the BOD system stinks, but you can still craft good
armor. My Samurai character is warring leather armor crafted by
my Tailor that gives her 70 resist in all category's. My Smith made
her a lance that has 125 luck, 25% increase in speed, 35 % mana leach,
28% stamina leach, + 40% added damage.
If that's not good equipment, I guess I just do not understand what
good equipment is.

Ice

> I agree that the BOD system stinks, but you can still craft good
> armor. My Samurai character is warring leather armor crafted by
> my Tailor that gives her 70 resist in all category's. My Smith made
> her a lance that has 125 luck, 25% increase in speed, 35 % mana leach,
> 28% stamina leach, + 40% added damage.
> If that's not good equipment, I guess I just do not understand what
> good equipment is.
>
> Ice

Which runic hammer did you use?

Ice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 21:23:08 -0500, "Baydlor" <baydlor@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>> I agree that the BOD system stinks, but you can still craft good
>> armor. My Samurai character is warring leather armor crafted by
>> my Tailor that gives her 70 resist in all category's. My Smith made
>> her a lance that has 125 luck, 25% increase in speed, 35 % mana leach,
>> 28% stamina leach, + 40% added damage.
>> If that's not good equipment, I guess I just do not understand what
>> good equipment is.
>>
>> Ice
>>

>Which runic hammer did you use?

The lance was made with a bronze, or maybe a gold. That is the
best I have ever got with the BOD system. The leather was made
with a Horned sewing kit.

Ice

Rick Cortese <ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote in news:THC2e.767$EE2.94
@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> I will sum up the problems with the game as it is played on the USA
> shards in one sentence. The other day I was able to bank next to
> "Canabis" and his white wyrm "poop." I'd like to turn him in to the
> American GMs but the only outcome would probably be a black mark against
> my account for bothering GMs while he is trying to smoke his crack pipe
> or the last guy playing the shard other then myself would be gone.<sic>

I jumped back into the shards and looked around. My only complaints when I
played before was the crowds. Counldnt build a house, wilderness was all
suburbs, monster spots had more players waiting to tackle any monster that
appeared than were were monsters. Now its much less crowded, but I was
pretty disgusted with it.

On the other hand, the free shards are fantastic. The UO I loved, lots of
new stuff, no crowds, and with abit of looking around thru the hundreds of
shards you can usually find one that operates the way you think it should.

Gandalf Parker

Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote in news:hd2n41td7jkuvggnlcjjbq82bg61ltsme7@
4ax.com:

> My guess is that the "secret project" that many of the devs are
> working on includes a new modern client along with a rewrite
> of much of the ancient buggy server code. If they're serious
> about keeping UO as more than a dwindling niche game they
> really don't have much choice.

They also have to becuase the "pay to play" shards no longer have anything
to offer over the free ones. In fact, as far as I can tell, there is NO
complaint people can have about the pay shards that there isnt a free one
created just to fix it.

A completely new client will be needed to bring people back into paying to
play

Gandalf Parker

Ice

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 14:01:36 GMT, Gandalf Parker
<gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:

>Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote in news:hd2n41td7jkuvggnlcjjbq82bg61ltsme7@
>4ax.com:
>
>> My guess is that the "secret project" that many of the devs are
>> working on includes a new modern client along with a rewrite
>> of much of the ancient buggy server code. If they're serious
>> about keeping UO as more than a dwindling niche game they
>> really don't have much choice.
>
>They also have to becuase the "pay to play" shards no longer have anything
>to offer over the free ones. In fact, as far as I can tell, there is NO
>complaint people can have about the pay shards that there isnt a free one
>created just to fix it.
>
>A completely new client will be needed to bring people back into paying to
>play
>
>Gandalf Parker

"BACK"? Who left?, oh, ya, you.............. We didn't. Glad you
found what you want. We already have what we want. bye.........

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 10:20:00 -0500, Ice <nobody@noplace.com> wrote:

>On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 14:01:36 GMT, Gandalf Parker
><gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:
>
>>Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote in news:hd2n41td7jkuvggnlcjjbq82bg61ltsme7@
>>4ax.com:
>>
>>> My guess is that the "secret project" that many of the devs are
>>> working on includes a new modern client along with a rewrite
>>> of much of the ancient buggy server code. If they're serious
>>> about keeping UO as more than a dwindling niche game they
>>> really don't have much choice.
>>
>>They also have to becuase the "pay to play" shards no longer have anything
>>to offer over the free ones. In fact, as far as I can tell, there is NO
>>complaint people can have about the pay shards that there isnt a free one
>>created just to fix it.
>>
>>A completely new client will be needed to bring people back into paying to
>>play
>>
>>Gandalf Parker
>
>"BACK"? Who left?, oh, ya, you.............. We didn't. Glad you
>found what you want. We already have what we want. bye.........

That's a very shortsighted view Icelady. Fans of the 2d client are a
tiny, tiny minority these days. If UO doesn't update itself with a
modern client it's doomed.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote in

> On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 10:20:00 -0500, Ice <nobody@noplace.com> wrote:
>
>>On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 14:01:36 GMT, Gandalf Parker
>><gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:
>>
>>>Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote in news:hd2n41td7jkuvggnlcjjbq82bg61ltsme7@
>>>4ax.com:

>>>They also have to becuase the "pay to play" shards no longer have
>>>anything to offer over the free ones. In fact, as far as I can tell,
>>>there is NO complaint people can have about the pay shards that there
>>>isnt a free one created just to fix it.
>>>
>>>A completely new client will be needed to bring people back into
>>>paying to play
>>
>>"BACK"? Who left?, oh, ya, you.............. We didn't. Glad you
>>found what you want. We already have what we want. bye.........
>
> That's a very shortsighted view Icelady. Fans of the 2d client are a
> tiny, tiny minority these days. If UO doesn't update itself with a
> modern client it's doomed.

Actually I do use the 2D client. Not completely sure if I would use a 3D
if a different one were made. To nobody@, It wasnt "we" I was talking
about. It was "they".

I just feel that with the present software working on free shards, it
must be damaging to their business model. For the "buy a client, pay to
play" model to kick back in for them I think they NEED to create a new
client. If they manage to make it something that "we" would like, thats
good also.

Gandalf Parker

Gandalf Parker wrote:
> Rick Cortese <ricortes@earthlink.net> wrote in news:THC2e.767$EE2.94
> @newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net:
<snip>
> On the other hand, the free shards are fantastic. The UO I loved, lots of
> new stuff, no crowds, and with abit of looking around thru the hundreds of
> shards you can usually find one that operates the way you think it should.

I tried to get the little woman into Dundee's old shard and got zero
response from the people running it.

Reg LeCrisp wrote:

> On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 10:20:00 -0500, Ice <nobody@noplace.com> wrote:
>

>>On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 14:01:36 GMT, Gandalf Parker
>><gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:
>>

>>>Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote in news:hd2n41td7jkuvggnlcjjbq82bg61ltsme7@
>>>4ax.com:

>>>They also have to becuase the "pay to play" shards no longer have anything
>>>to offer over the free ones. In fact, as far as I can tell, there is NO
>>>complaint people can have about the pay shards that there isnt a free one
>>>created just to fix it.
>>>
>>>A completely new client will be needed to bring people back into paying to
>>>play
>>>
>>>Gandalf Parker
>>
>>"BACK"? Who left?, oh, ya, you.............. We didn't. Glad you
>>found what you want. We already have what we want. bye.........
>>

> That's a very shortsighted view Icelady. Fans of the 2d client are a
> tiny, tiny minority these days. If UO doesn't update itself with a
> modern client it's doomed.

The only poll I saw showed the 2d client as the 4:1 favorite over the
3d. Do you have a source that says something different?

I recently checked out Diablo, the first one, on Battlenet and there are
still a couple of hundred players there. This is down from the thousands
that used to be there but it looks like old games never really die.

A modern client wouldn't be enough to make OSI a leading player again.
It would attract a few people but not that many. I recall posting a long
while back that there are several stages in the life of marketing with
each defined by the people who buy an item. Beginning stage is called
'early adapters' and the later stage is 'laggards' as I heard it in
college. We are well into the laggard stage now.

Just saw a Xfire poll. WoW is #1 on their top ten list. EQ, SWG, EQII,
UO, etcetera didn't even make the list. It's only one poll of course but
telling.

I attribute much of WoW success to being able to exploit the laggard
market segment, but then they have always had that one in their pocket.
The laggards would be characterized by doing what everyone else is doing
and not wanting to try anything new on their own. Diablo with over 2
million in sales, Warcraft, etcetera let Blizzard become a laggard's
paradise. They weren't the first 100,000 to buy those games but the
other 1.9 million. The "Hey there Johny Laggard, buy a new computer and
a copy of WoW because we are all playing it. It'll be just like Diablo"
was always available to Blizzard. OSI went after it a bit with "Bring a
friend to Britania" type promotions but never really had market penetration.

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 16:09:21 GMT, Gandalf Parker
<gandalf@most.of.my.favorite.sites> wrote:
>>>"BACK"? Who left?, oh, ya, you.............. We didn't. Glad you
>>>found what you want. We already have what we want. bye.........
>>
>> That's a very shortsighted view Icelady. Fans of the 2d client are a
>> tiny, tiny minority these days. If UO doesn't update itself with a
>> modern client it's doomed.
>
>Actually I do use the 2D client. Not completely sure if I would use a 3D
>if a different one were made. To nobody@, It wasnt "we" I was talking
>about. It was "they".

I use the 2d client myself. Not because I like it particularly but
because the 3d version is so awful.

>I just feel that with the present software working on free shards, it
>must be damaging to their business model. For the "buy a client, pay to
>play" model to kick back in for them I think they NEED to create a new
>client. If they manage to make it something that "we" would like, thats
>good also.

My main reason for wanting a new and properly done 3d client is to
bring in more people. I can't remember the last time I've see a real
newbie character who stayed around more than a few weeks.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic

On Mon, 4 Apr 2005, Ice wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 06:50:16 -0400, Reg LeCrisp <x@x.x> wrote:

> >>Actually I do use the 2D client. Not completely sure if I would use a 3D
> >>if a different one were made. To nobody@, It wasnt "we" I was talking
> >>about. It was "they".
> >>

> >I use the 2d client myself. Not because I like it particularly but
> >because the 3d version is so awful.
> >
> >>I just feel that with the present software working on free shards, it
> >>must be damaging to their business model. For the "buy a client, pay to
> >>play" model to kick back in for them I think they NEED to create a new
> >>client. If they manage to make it something that "we" would like, thats
> >>good also.
> >
> >My main reason for wanting a new and properly done 3d client is to
> >bring in more people. I can't remember the last time I've see a real
> >newbie character who stayed around more than a few weeks.
> >
> >Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
> I see real newbies all the time at my vendor shop. I drop runes at
> the "Heaven" bank, and keep prices low for newbies. I know they are
> real newbies because of the questions they ask. I also see very old
> returnees. People that have been gone for years, and just returning.
>
> The Atlantic shard is full, why would you want more people on it.

Because most of the other shards I have seen are nowhere near full.
Congrats to Atlantic, apparently...but what you describe is not the normal
across shards.

--

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 10:10:37 -0500, Ice <nobody@noplace.com> wrote:

>>My main reason for wanting a new and properly done 3d client is to
>>bring in more people. I can't remember the last time I've see a real
>>newbie character who stayed around more than a few weeks.
>>
>>Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic
>I see real newbies all the time at my vendor shop. I drop runes at
>the "Heaven" bank, and keep prices low for newbies. I know they are
>real newbies because of the questions they ask. I also see very old
>returnees. People that have been gone for years, and just returning.
>
>The Atlantic shard is full, why would you want more people on it.
>
>Ice

I don't think its very crowded. I think people are just clumped up
at the same hunting spots these days. I see real newbies from time
to time and I try to be friendly but they rarely stay around past the
first free month. Fact is UO has been hemorrhaging subscribers for
months now. I would be very surprised if they have even 150,000
anymore.

Why do you think they're doing this big promotional giveaway
with all the mini artifacts? And the soulstone fragments?
All these promotions are doing is letting them hold on to some
of the veteran accounts. They certainly aren't attracting newbs.

Reg LeCrisp - Atlantic