Good Stereo Rack

Last response: in Home Audio
October 22, 2004 10:26:10 PM

Hi all,
First time poster. Could anyone recommend a nice rack to hold my
components? I'm looking for something that is more of a vertical tower
than a horizontal entertainment center. Ideally I'd like something
that will hold my components, turntable, and also have the strength to
put my TV on top! Should I get out my saw and buy some plywood? If
anyone can lead me in the right direction i.e. reliable web site or
brand names, I'd be much appreciative!
Thanks in advance,
Carl

More about : good stereo rack

Anonymous
October 23, 2004 6:46:51 PM

On 22 Oct 2004 18:26:10 GMT, carlbudding2002@yahoo.com (Carl Budding)
wrote:

>Hi all,
>First time poster. Could anyone recommend a nice rack to hold my
>components? I'm looking for something that is more of a vertical tower
>than a horizontal entertainment center. Ideally I'd like something
>that will hold my components, turntable, and also have the strength to
>put my TV on top! Should I get out my saw and buy some plywood? If
>anyone can lead me in the right direction i.e. reliable web site or
>brand names, I'd be much appreciative!
>Thanks in advance,
>Carl

Hi Carl:
Milestek has black and oak laminated racks in various sizes, check:
http://www.milestek.com/
Click on Racks & Cabinets and take your pick.
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 6:48:46 PM

TNT Audio (http://www.tnt-audio.com/int.html) have some good
instructions on their site:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diyracks.html

Cheers,
Kai

On 2004-10-23 04:26:10 +1000, carlbudding2002@yahoo.com (Carl Budding) said:

> Hi all,
> First time poster. Could anyone recommend a nice rack to hold my
> components? I'm looking for something that is more of a vertical tower
> than a horizontal entertainment center. Ideally I'd like something
> that will hold my components, turntable, and also have the strength to
> put my TV on top! Should I get out my saw and buy some plywood? If
> anyone can lead me in the right direction i.e. reliable web site or
> brand names, I'd be much appreciative!
> Thanks in advance,
> Carl
Related resources
October 23, 2004 7:35:17 PM

carlbudding2002@yahoo.com (Carl Budding) wrote in

> Hi all,
> First time poster. Could anyone recommend a nice rack to hold my
> components? I'm looking for something that is more of a vertical tower
> than a horizontal entertainment center. Ideally I'd like something
> that will hold my components, turntable, and also have the strength to
> put my TV on top! Should I get out my saw and buy some plywood? If
> anyone can lead me in the right direction i.e. reliable web site or
> brand names, I'd be much appreciative!
> Thanks in advance,
> Carl

If you're looking for high quality solid wood furniture, as opposed to just
a rack, you might check Pompanoosuc Mills (http://www.pompy.com/ ). They
have what they call a New England Audio Center that's available in both
horizontal and vertical configurations. I have the horizontal version in
cherry wood and I'm very happy with it. You could easily put a large TV on
top of it. They also make what they call a "Professional Audio Center"
that looks very interesting and might be appropriate for your application,
if the TV isn't too large.

-- JS
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 7:49:28 PM

> On 22 Oct 2004 18:26:10 GMT, carlbudding2002@yahoo.com (Carl Budding)
> wrote:
>

>>Hi all,
>>First time poster. Could anyone recommend a nice rack to hold my
>>components? I'm looking for something that is more of a vertical tower
>>than a horizontal entertainment center. Ideally I'd like something
>>that will hold my components, turntable, and also have the strength to
>>put my TV on top! Should I get out my saw and buy some plywood? If
>>anyone can lead me in the right direction i.e. reliable web site or
>>brand names, I'd be much appreciative!
>>Thanks in advance,
>>Carl

If you like stable shiny metal you can check out Soundstyle:

http://www.soundstyle.net/

I had my former speaker stands from them. Heavy metal tubes,
solidly built, fine colors, elegant. Delivery was rather
longish here in Switzerland (16 weeks).

Cheers,

Franco
Anonymous
October 23, 2004 10:42:10 PM

Kai Howells <kai-usenet@rocketcat.info> wrote:
> TNT Audio (http://www.tnt-audio.com/int.html) have some good
> instructions on their site:

> http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diyracks.html

"For EACH shelf you need 6 screw nuts, 6 steel washers and 6 neoprene
washers (common rubber washers work fine, too). The washers, both the
steel and the neoprene ones, should be 2 mm thick. N MDF (medium
density) shelves with N = number of shelves you actually need :-) Each
shelf should be 20 mm thick. Choose the dimensions you prefer (normally
60 x 40) though it should be better to respect, if possible, the golden
section ratio (see the Interview with Cardas)."

er...huh? Why on earth would it matter if the shelf dimensions
followed the golden section ratio?
Anonymous
October 24, 2004 7:21:25 PM

On 2004-10-24 04:42:10 +1000, Steven Sullivan <ssully@panix.com> said:

> Kai Howells <kai-usenet@rocketcat.info> wrote:
>> TNT Audio (http://www.tnt-audio.com/int.html) have some good
>> instructions on their site:
>
>> http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diyracks.html
>
> "For EACH shelf you need 6 screw nuts, 6 steel washers and 6 neoprene
> washers (common rubber washers work fine, too). The washers, both the
> steel and the neoprene ones, should be 2 mm thick. N MDF (medium
> density) shelves with N = number of shelves you actually need :-) Each
> shelf should be 20 mm thick. Choose the dimensions you prefer (normally
> 60 x 40) though it should be better to respect, if possible, the golden
> section ratio (see the Interview with Cardas)."
>
> er...huh? Why on earth would it matter if the shelf dimensions
> followed the golden section ratio?

Because it will look better... It has been shown that rectangles that
confirm to the Golden Ratio are simply more pleasing to look at than
rectangles with other dimensions...
Anonymous
October 26, 2004 4:00:23 AM

Kai Howells <kai-usenet@rocketcat.info> wrote:
> On 2004-10-24 04:42:10 +1000, Steven Sullivan <ssully@panix.com> said:

> > Kai Howells <kai-usenet@rocketcat.info> wrote:
> >> TNT Audio (http://www.tnt-audio.com/int.html) have some good
> >> instructions on their site:
> >
> >> http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/diyracks.html
> >
> > "For EACH shelf you need 6 screw nuts, 6 steel washers and 6 neoprene
> > washers (common rubber washers work fine, too). The washers, both the
> > steel and the neoprene ones, should be 2 mm thick. N MDF (medium
> > density) shelves with N = number of shelves you actually need :-) Each
> > shelf should be 20 mm thick. Choose the dimensions you prefer (normally
> > 60 x 40) though it should be better to respect, if possible, the golden
> > section ratio (see the Interview with Cardas)."
> >
> > er...huh? Why on earth would it matter if the shelf dimensions
> > followed the golden section ratio?

> Because it will look better... It has been shown that rectangles that
> confirm to the Golden Ratio are simply more pleasing to look at than
> rectangles with other dimensions...

As you'll be viewing only the front and side
edges of these 'rectangles', and the bits not covered by the components,
I still don't see this as much of
an argument, even if true.

--
-S
Your a boring little troll. How does it feel? Go blow your bad breath elsewhere.