Need a MIDI/Game port...

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
With my new motherboard, an intel D865GBF, I no longer have onboard sound, and the Audigy 2 card I have lacks a MIDI game port. Since i used to use the onboard AC 97 game port on my old motherboard, and the sound thru the SB, what can I do now to get a port? Can i run an additional PCI soundcard to use the port while maintaining sound output though the Audigy?

"Who is General Failure, and why is he reading my drive?"
P4 3.0 HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, WD 36GB Raptor 10,000RPM, BBA Radeon 9600PRO

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Are you certain there isn't a gameport header (unused) on the card, ready to accept a breakout cable? Usually these are 16 pins organized as 2 rows of 8 pins, and use a standard 15-pin breakout cable.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I've been seeing these boxes advertized that put 2 PS/2, 1 Parallel, 2 serial, and 1 game port on 1 USB 2.0 connection. Don't remember which places sold them.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
The pinouts are missing for the breakout bracket.....the solder holes are there, but no pins.

P4 3.0 HT, Intel D865GBF, 512MB Crucial PC3200 DDR, WD 36GB Raptor 10,000RPM, BBA Radeon 9600PRO

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Then other associated parts are likely missing as well. The game port is also a midi port, I wonder if you could adapt a joystick to use the midi port on the LiveDriveII?

Anyway, you can use a cheap soundcard as a gameport only, or you can buy a USB adapter

cefoskey

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2003
Yeah I have that gameport bracket from my previous motherboard. So if I install say a cheap SB16, I should still get my sound output through the audigy, correct? I would assume one of them would have to be disabled in device manager.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Actually you should get sound from both soundcards if you don't disable the sound features on the second card. But since you don't need the sound features of the second card, you could disable them in device manager.