networking: other pc's files not seen.

i have setup a network and the internet can be used on both pc's but i can
not view any files from the other pc.

pc1 has two lan cards the broadband connection is plugged into it one of the
cards. the other card in pc1 is conected to one of the ports on the router
(a 5 port auto switch)
pc2 is connected to one of the other ports on the router.

internet can view used on both pc's

i have tried to view the shared files and tried to right click and share the
folder on pc1 to allow pc2 to view these files, but i can not see them on
pc2, and vise versa.

this has got to be a setting issue, but not know what to do.

very new to networking so be gentle !!

thank you in advance for your help.

Why don't you have the broadband connection hooked to the router?
Does pc1 have to be on for pc2 to access the Internet?
Are you using ICS?

Have you listed the pcs in the Internet Firewall?
--
Ron Sommer

"Help !!" <.> wrote in message news:uwT8p5MbFHA.2128@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>i have setup a network and the internet can be used on both pc's but i can
>not view any files from the other pc.
>
> pc1 has two lan cards the broadband connection is plugged into it one of
> the cards. the other card in pc1 is conected to one of the ports on the
> router (a 5 port auto switch)
> pc2 is connected to one of the other ports on the router.
>
> internet can view used on both pc's
>
> i have tried to view the shared files and tried to right click and share
> the folder on pc1 to allow pc2 to view these files, but i can not see them
> on pc2, and vise versa.
>
> this has got to be a setting issue, but not know what to do.
>
> very new to networking so be gentle !!
>

> thank you in advance for your help.

i have tried that and now i do not get a connection to the internet on pc2.

pc1 pc2 and the broadband connection are all connected into the auto switch
box.

is the auto switch box a router? is it the same thing or have i bought the
wrong thing.

i need to be able to have internet on all pc's connected and also be able to
share the files of all pc's with pc's.the other
and no pc1 does not need to be on for pc2 to use the internet.

thank you again for your help.

Jason.

"Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
> Why don't you have the broadband connection hooked to the router?
> Does pc1 have to be on for pc2 to access the Internet?
> Are you using ICS?
>
> Have you listed the pcs in the Internet Firewall?
> --
> Ron Sommer
>
> "Help !!" <.> wrote in message
>>i have setup a network and the internet can be used on both pc's but i can
>>not view any files from the other pc.
>>
>> pc1 has two lan cards the broadband connection is plugged into it one of
>> the cards. the other card in pc1 is conected to one of the ports on the
>> router (a 5 port auto switch)
>> pc2 is connected to one of the other ports on the router.
>>
>> internet can view used on both pc's
>>
>> i have tried to view the shared files and tried to right click and share
>> the folder on pc1 to allow pc2 to view these files, but i can not see
>> them on pc2, and vise versa.
>>
>> this has got to be a setting issue, but not know what to do.
>>
>> very new to networking so be gentle !!
>>

>> thank you in advance for your help.

In an attempt to clarify your situation, you muddied the water even
more.

We have no idea what your "auto switch" is. Maybe you could post a
make and model number for additional help.

The basics of a shared broadband network is really easy, especially
with a broadband router:

1. Plug your broadband modem into the router. Power up the modem and
then the router.

2. Plug your two computers into the router.

3. From one of the computers, follow the router instructions to
configure it. It's almost always extremely simple.

4. Your two computers should now be able to access the internet
independent of each other.

Now, to allow the two computers to see each other:

1. Make sure each computer is in the same workgroup.

2. Create identically named user accounts, with non-blank passwords,
on each computer.

3. Actually share something on the computers.

Now they should not only see each other, but you should be able to
access files/folders without the constant logon box popping up.

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 20:25:12 -0400, NobodyMan <none@none.net> wrote:

>In an attempt to clarify your situation, you muddied the water even
>more.
>
>We have no idea what your "auto switch" is. Maybe you could post a
>make and model number for additional help.
>
>The basics of a shared broadband network is really easy, especially
>with a broadband router:
>
>1. Plug your broadband modem into the router. Power up the modem and
>then the router.
>
>2. Plug your two computers into the router.
>
>3. From one of the computers, follow the router instructions to
>configure it. It's almost always extremely simple.
>
>4. Your two computers should now be able to access the internet
>independent of each other.
>
>Now, to allow the two computers to see each other:
>
>1. Make sure each computer is in the same workgroup.
>
>2. Create identically named user accounts, with non-blank passwords,
>on each computer.
>
>3. Actually share something on the computers.
>
>Now they should not only see each other, but you should be able to
>access files/folders without the constant logon box popping up.
>
>On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 18:17:40 +0100, "Help !!" <.> wrote:
>
>>i have tried that and now i do not get a connection to the internet on pc2.
>>
>>pc1 pc2 and the broadband connection are all connected into the auto switch
>>box.
>>
>>is the auto switch box a router? is it the same thing or have i bought the
>>wrong thing.
>>
>>i need to be able to have internet on all pc's connected and also be able to
>>share the files of all pc's with pc's.the other
>>and no pc1 does not need to be on for pc2 to use the internet.
>>
>>thank you again for your help.
>>
>>Jason.
>>

>>"Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
>>> Why don't you have the broadband connection hooked to the router?
>>> Does pc1 have to be on for pc2 to access the Internet?
>>> Are you using ICS?
>>>
>>> Have you listed the pcs in the Internet Firewall?
>>> --
>>> Ron Sommer
>>>
>>> "Help !!" <.> wrote in message

I already have 2 computers hooked up to the router (cat5) and then to
broadband. All works good. I am using WinXP firewall.
I plan to add sharing files as y'all outlined above.

Question: When I remove the laptop from my router and reconnect it to
a hotel cat5 cable for internet use, is there any special security
provisions that I should take to insure that my shared files are not
accessible to others?

One more, if using a 3rd-Party Firewall you should add the Router
range to it's Trusted Zone (Example 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254).
That one seems to get by allot of folks setting up a home network.

"NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
> In an attempt to clarify your situation, you muddied the water even
> more.
>
> We have no idea what your "auto switch" is. Maybe you could post a
> make and model number for additional help.
>
> The basics of a shared broadband network is really easy, especially
> with a broadband router:
>
> 1. Plug your broadband modem into the router. Power up the modem and
> then the router.
>
> 2. Plug your two computers into the router.
>
> 3. From one of the computers, follow the router instructions to
> configure it. It's almost always extremely simple.
>
> 4. Your two computers should now be able to access the internet
> independent of each other.
>
> Now, to allow the two computers to see each other:
>
> 1. Make sure each computer is in the same workgroup.
>
> 2. Create identically named user accounts, with non-blank passwords,
> on each computer.
>
> 3. Actually share something on the computers.
>
> Now they should not only see each other, but you should be able to
> access files/folders without the constant logon box popping up.
>
> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 18:17:40 +0100, "Help !!" <.> wrote:
>
>>i have tried that and now i do not get a connection to the internet on
>>pc2.
>>
>>pc1 pc2 and the broadband connection are all connected into the auto
>>switch
>>box.
>>
>>is the auto switch box a router? is it the same thing or have i bought
>>the
>>wrong thing.
>>
>>i need to be able to have internet on all pc's connected and also be able
>>share the files of all pc's with pc's.the other
>>and no pc1 does not need to be on for pc2 to use the internet.
>>
>>thank you again for your help.
>>
>>Jason.
>>

>>"Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message
>>> Why don't you have the broadband connection hooked to the router?
>>> Does pc1 have to be on for pc2 to access the Internet?
>>> Are you using ICS?
>>>
>>> Have you listed the pcs in the Internet Firewall?
>>> --
>>> Ron Sommer
>>>
>>> "Help !!" <.> wrote in message

pcworld - 5 port auto switch - PCL-NW300B

"R. McCarty" <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> One more, if using a 3rd-Party Firewall you should add the Router
> range to it's Trusted Zone (Example 192.168.1.1-192.168.1.254).
> That one seems to get by allot of folks setting up a home network.
>
> "NobodyMan" <none@none.net> wrote in message
>> In an attempt to clarify your situation, you muddied the water even
>> more.
>>
>> We have no idea what your "auto switch" is. Maybe you could post a
>> make and model number for additional help.
>>
>> The basics of a shared broadband network is really easy, especially
>> with a broadband router:
>>
>> 1. Plug your broadband modem into the router. Power up the modem and
>> then the router.
>>
>> 2. Plug your two computers into the router.
>>
>> 3. From one of the computers, follow the router instructions to
>> configure it. It's almost always extremely simple.
>>
>> 4. Your two computers should now be able to access the internet
>> independent of each other.
>>
>> Now, to allow the two computers to see each other:
>>
>> 1. Make sure each computer is in the same workgroup.
>>
>> 2. Create identically named user accounts, with non-blank passwords,
>> on each computer.
>>
>> 3. Actually share something on the computers.
>>
>> Now they should not only see each other, but you should be able to
>> access files/folders without the constant logon box popping up.
>>
>> On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 18:17:40 +0100, "Help !!" <.> wrote:
>>
>>>i have tried that and now i do not get a connection to the internet on
>>>pc2.
>>>
>>>pc1 pc2 and the broadband connection are all connected into the auto
>>>switch
>>>box.
>>>
>>>is the auto switch box a router? is it the same thing or have i bought
>>>the
>>>wrong thing.
>>>
>>>i need to be able to have internet on all pc's connected and also be able
>>>share the files of all pc's with pc's.the other
>>>and no pc1 does not need to be on for pc2 to use the internet.
>>>
>>>thank you again for your help.
>>>
>>>Jason.
>>>

>>>"Ron Sommer" <rsommer@nospam.ktis.net> wrote in message

>I already have 2 computers hooked up to the router (cat5) and then to
>broadband. All works good. I am using WinXP firewall.
>I plan to add sharing files as y'all outlined above.
>
>Question: When I remove the laptop from my router and reconnect it to
>a hotel cat5 cable for internet use, is there any special security
>provisions that I should take to insure that my shared files are not
>accessible to others?

Nice hijacking of the original thread, unless this is your *real* name
or another alias of Help! Regardless, to answer you question:

The only way to make sure your files are safe is to not hook up to the
hotel network. Their network admin can certainly see where you are
surfing if they choose to (proxy servers log EVERYTHING). You can set
permissions to stop others from gaining access, at least for a while.
However, a determined hacker can and probably will gain access. But
why would they want to? That's the question.

What's so valuable on your computer that you are worried about
intrusion? I don't put anything on my computer that I wouldn't want
anybody else to see, and I keep mine pretty secure behind a router and
a decent firewall.

De-select or uncheck file and printer sharing on your network adapter.