Just Upgraded from Win XP home to pro, where is "Administr..

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

Hi All,

I bought a laptop that came pre-installed with XP Home, but to use it for
work I also got Windows XP pro.

When loading the laptop I was asked to give an Administrator password and
then Create a user, (I had no choice in the matter).
I entered the proper Administrator password, but created any user because I
knew I was going to remove XP home from that machine.

Only once this was done was I able to load Windows XP pro, (and while I was
there I also upgraded to SP2).
Everything worked as expected.

But now I have a problem,
First I want to completely remove the user I created, (I have no use for
that account).
And secondly I want "Administrator" to be able to log in.

Simply because I am used to is, on my Desktop, (also with XP pro), I have
"Administrator" and "Guest" whereas on the laptop the user automatically
logs in.

The user created is a member of the Admin group. If I try to switch users
only the user I created is available. Where is Administrator? "Guest" is
also not available.

Many thanks.

Simon

When you create a User account, the default Administrator account
becomes hidden. Generally speaking using the Administrator account
is not recommended. It's there as an Emergency backup with a null
or empty password.
What you can do is disable the Fast User Switching facility. Control
Panel (Classic View), Users, Change the Way Users log on & Off.
This brings up the traditional logon box. Then you can login to the
default Administrator account and remove the User you created when
XP was 1st installed.
With Pro & FAST User Switching you have to press 2 Ctrl-Alt-Del
to trigger the traditional logon box where you can enter Administrator
and login.

"Simon" <spambucket@myoddweb.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I bought a laptop that came pre-installed with XP Home, but to use it for
> work I also got Windows XP pro.
>
> When loading the laptop I was asked to give an Administrator password and
> then Create a user, (I had no choice in the matter).
> I entered the proper Administrator password, but created any user because
> I knew I was going to remove XP home from that machine.
>
> Only once this was done was I able to load Windows XP pro, (and while I
> was there I also upgraded to SP2).
> Everything worked as expected.
>
> But now I have a problem,
> First I want to completely remove the user I created, (I have no use for
> that account).
> And secondly I want "Administrator" to be able to log in.
>
> Simply because I am used to is, on my Desktop, (also with XP pro), I have
> "Administrator" and "Guest" whereas on the laptop the user automatically
> logs in.
>
> The user created is a member of the Admin group. If I try to switch users
> only the user I created is available. Where is Administrator? "Guest" is
> also not available.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Simon

"Simon" <spambucket@myoddweb.com> wrote:

>But now I have a problem,
>First I want to completely remove the user I created, (I have no use for
>that account).
>And secondly I want "Administrator" to be able to log in.

1. You need at least one additional user with admin privileges and you
should create another user with a lower status for your daily work.
2. The Administrator account is available from the Safe Mode (only).
See "A Description of the Safe Boot Mode Options in Windows XP"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315222).

--
(tm)
ICQ: 192649233