Just Upgraded from Win XP home to pro, where is "Administr..

Hi All,

I bought a laptop that came pre-installed with XP Home, but to use it for
work I also got Windows XP pro.

When loading the laptop I was asked to give an Administrator password and
then Create a user, (I had no choice in the matter).
I entered the proper Administrator password, but created any user because I
knew I was going to remove XP home from that machine.

Only once this was done was I able to load Windows XP pro, (and while I was
there I also upgraded to SP2).
Everything worked as expected.

But now I have a problem,
First I want to completely remove the user I created, (I have no use for
that account).
And secondly I want "Administrator" to be able to log in.

Simply because I am used to is, on my Desktop, (also with XP pro), I have
"Administrator" and "Guest" whereas on the laptop the user automatically
logs in.

The user created is a member of the Admin group. If I try to switch users
only the user I created is available. Where is Administrator? "Guest" is
also not available.

Many thanks.

Simon
2 answers Last reply
More about just upgraded home administr

    When you create a User account, the default Administrator account
    becomes hidden. Generally speaking using the Administrator account
    is not recommended. It's there as an Emergency backup with a null
    or empty password.
    What you can do is disable the Fast User Switching facility. Control
    Panel (Classic View), Users, Change the Way Users log on & Off.
    This brings up the traditional logon box. Then you can login to the
    default Administrator account and remove the User you created when
    XP was 1st installed.
    With Pro & FAST User Switching you have to press 2 Ctrl-Alt-Del
    to trigger the traditional logon box where you can enter Administrator
    and login.

    "Simon" <spambucket@myoddweb.com> wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > I bought a laptop that came pre-installed with XP Home, but to use it for
    > work I also got Windows XP pro.
    >
    > When loading the laptop I was asked to give an Administrator password and
    > then Create a user, (I had no choice in the matter).
    > I entered the proper Administrator password, but created any user because
    > I knew I was going to remove XP home from that machine.
    >
    > Only once this was done was I able to load Windows XP pro, (and while I
    > was there I also upgraded to SP2).
    > Everything worked as expected.
    >
    > But now I have a problem,
    > First I want to completely remove the user I created, (I have no use for
    > that account).
    > And secondly I want "Administrator" to be able to log in.
    >
    > Simply because I am used to is, on my Desktop, (also with XP pro), I have
    > "Administrator" and "Guest" whereas on the laptop the user automatically
    > logs in.
    >
    > The user created is a member of the Admin group. If I try to switch users
    > only the user I created is available. Where is Administrator? "Guest" is
    > also not available.
    >
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > Simon

    "Simon" <spambucket@myoddweb.com> wrote:

    >But now I have a problem,
    >First I want to completely remove the user I created, (I have no use for
    >that account).
    >And secondly I want "Administrator" to be able to log in.

    1. You need at least one additional user with admin privileges and you
    should create another user with a lower status for your daily work.
    2. The Administrator account is available from the Safe Mode (only).
    See "A Description of the Safe Boot Mode Options in Windows XP"
    (http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=315222).

    --
    (tm)
    ICQ: 192649233