Windows 7 Installation Question / Problem

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
A friend of mine who is less-technically inclined has gotten himself into some Windows 7 trouble. Basically, he bought the wrong version... instead of asking for advice and getting the Home Premium version, he opted for the Windows 7 Professional version. He bought this through the Microsoft big steal deal or whatever it's called... and the price difference between Home and Professional was small enough that he jumped on the professional version. He downloaded the ISO, burned it to a DVD and then formatted his system. Because this disc was an upgrade, it required an OS (I'm guessing XP Professional) that he did not legally own/possess (his PC ran Windows XP Home) and the installation will not go through.

Does my friend have any legal options? Could he request a refund since the OS he bought has never been installed/activated (he downloaded it from MS so he never opened a retail box) Is there something else I'm overlooking?

Does my friend have any less-legal options to allow the installation to continue? Just trying to help a brother out who made an honest mistake.

Here is MS' position, it looks like he can use it if he had any version of XP or Vista - go down the page and "expand all." He doesn't have to have the qualifying OS installed, in fact he will have to do a clean install if he is using XP as the qualifying OS (by selecting custom install). Tell him to backup all his important files to another HDD, so he can copy them back after the install.

rodney_ws

Splendid
Dec 29, 2005
My friend legally owns a copy of XP Home and has the installation media as well. I was just under the impression that the upgrade path to Windows 7 Professional required Windows XP Professional. I'm guessing I was wrong on that account.