How to temporarily block Internet activity ?

Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.privacy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

Every now and then, when you're online, something suspicious happens
(such as the hard-drive being accessed for an unusually long time)
and you want to block any Internet activity that might be occurring
but without dropping the connection (if you're on dial-up)
or without unplugging the cable (if you're on broadband).

If you have Zone Alarm, you can easily do that by right-clicking
on its icon in the system tray and selecting "Stop all Internet
Activity", and then unblock it later when you're ready.

But for those who don't have Zone Alarm, is there a built-in
feature in Windows 2000 or XP that can accomplish the same thing?
16 answers Last reply
More about temporarily block internet activity
  1. Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.privacy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Depends, if you use Broadband you can Right Click the LAC icon
    in the System Tray and left click Disable. To re-enable Network
    connectivity, you'll have to open Network Connections and Right
    Click the LAC and re-enable.

    "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Every now and then, when you're online, something suspicious happens
    > (such as the hard-drive being accessed for an unusually long time)
    > and you want to block any Internet activity that might be occurring
    > but without dropping the connection (if you're on dial-up)
    > or without unplugging the cable (if you're on broadband).
    >
    > If you have Zone Alarm, you can easily do that by right-clicking
    > on its icon in the system tray and selecting "Stop all Internet
    > Activity", and then unblock it later when you're ready.
    >
    > But for those who don't have Zone Alarm, is there a built-in
    > feature in Windows 2000 or XP that can accomplish the same thing?

  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

    I know this going to sound cheeky, but use zone alarm. The type of feature
    you are looking for does not exist in 2000. Let me be more succinct.

    I am hearing that you want to stop internet activity, but not sever the
    connection nor block any other kind of traffic (lan traffic).

    "wylbur37" wrote:

    > Every now and then, when you're online, something suspicious happens
    > (such as the hard-drive being accessed for an unusually long time)
    > and you want to block any Internet activity that might be occurring
    > but without dropping the connection (if you're on dial-up)
    > or without unplugging the cable (if you're on broadband).
    >
    > If you have Zone Alarm, you can easily do that by right-clicking
    > on its icon in the system tray and selecting "Stop all Internet
    > Activity", and then unblock it later when you're ready.
    >
    > But for those who don't have Zone Alarm, is there a built-in
    > feature in Windows 2000 or XP that can accomplish the same thing?

  3. Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.privacy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Go to run then type winipcfg release all..

    Mich...

    "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Every now and then, when you're online, something suspicious happens
    > (such as the hard-drive being accessed for an unusually long time)
    > and you want to block any Internet activity that might be occurring
    > but without dropping the connection (if you're on dial-up)
    > or without unplugging the cable (if you're on broadband).
    >
    > If you have Zone Alarm, you can easily do that by right-clicking
    > on its icon in the system tray and selecting "Stop all Internet
    > Activity", and then unblock it later when you're ready.
    >
    > But for those who don't have Zone Alarm, is there a built-in
    > feature in Windows 2000 or XP that can accomplish the same thing?

    you must be used to Win 98
    For XP or 2000 it is ipconfig /release all

    go to start run cmd the type in ipconfig /? for the actual commands it does
    not show all but I believe it does work.

    This will only work if you are using DHCP which I don't use

    I do have a proxy listed as when I connect to my companies network it
    requires a proxy

    You could also go to IE go to tools internet options connections and put in
    a bogus proxy
    for XP you could also tell the XP firewall to not allow anything

    Wayne

    PS please don't cross post

    ..
    "Mich" <Mich8hb@netscape.net> wrote in message
    > Go to run then type winipcfg release all..
    >
    > Mich...
    >
    > "wylbur37" <wylbur37nospam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Every now and then, when you're online, something suspicious happens
    >> (such as the hard-drive being accessed for an unusually long time)
    >> and you want to block any Internet activity that might be occurring
    >> but without dropping the connection (if you're on dial-up)
    >> or without unplugging the cable (if you're on broadband).
    >>
    >> If you have Zone Alarm, you can easily do that by right-clicking
    >> on its icon in the system tray and selecting "Stop all Internet
    >> Activity", and then unblock it later when you're ready.
    >>
    >> But for those who don't have Zone Alarm, is there a built-in
    >> feature in Windows 2000 or XP that can accomplish the same thing?

  5. Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.privacy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 06:46:49 -0400, "R. McCarty"
    <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >Depends, if you use Broadband you can Right Click the LAC icon
    >in the System Tray and left click Disable. To re-enable Network
    >connectivity, you'll have to open Network Connections and Right
    >Click the LAC and re-enable.

    This is the method I use except I made a shortcut to the Network
    Connections icon and put it in my quick launch bar so I can re-enable
    the connection from there. This way I can be disconnected from the
    internet and run my games with no firewall running in the background.
    When I want to go on the internet I just enable my firewall and
    internet connection from the quicklaunch bar.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.privacy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Never thought of that - Thanks for the tip.

    "Fisher" <fisher@no_email.here> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 06:46:49 -0400, "R. McCarty"
    > <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Depends, if you use Broadband you can Right Click the LAC icon
    >>in the System Tray and left click Disable. To re-enable Network
    >>connectivity, you'll have to open Network Connections and Right
    >>Click the LAC and re-enable.
    >
    > This is the method I use except I made a shortcut to the Network
    > Connections icon and put it in my quick launch bar so I can re-enable
    > the connection from there. This way I can be disconnected from the
    > internet and run my games with no firewall running in the background.
    > When I want to go on the internet I just enable my firewall and
    > internet connection from the quicklaunch bar.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.privacy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    the very common Motorola SurfBoard cable modem has a switch on top that
    turns off the WAN side of things. Lots of folks don't notice it...
  8. Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.privacy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:24:38 -0000, frodo@theshire.org wrote:

    >the very common Motorola SurfBoard cable modem has a switch on top that
    >turns off the WAN side of things. Lots of folks don't notice it...

    I own that cable modem but my current ISP doesn't support it so I have
    to rent their archaic cable modem anyway which has no such on/off
    switch. Grrr!
  9. Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.privacy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    The power cord is an effective off switch.

    Fisher wrote:

    > On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 18:24:38 -0000, frodo@theshire.org wrote:
    >

    >>the very common Motorola SurfBoard cable modem has a switch on top that
    >>turns off the WAN side of things. Lots of folks don't notice it...
    >

    > I own that cable modem but my current ISP doesn't support it so I have
    > to rent their archaic cable modem anyway which has no such on/off
    > switch. Grrr!
  10. Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.privacy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:14:34 -0500, Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >The power cord is an effective off switch.

    And a hassle.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.privacy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    Want a different answer, use different equipment.

    Fisher wrote:

    > On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 09:14:34 -0500, Bob I <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >

    >>The power cord is an effective off switch.
    >

    > And a hassle.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.privacy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 14:19:54 -0700, Fisher wrote:

    > I own that cable modem but my current ISP doesn't support it so I have
    > to rent their archaic cable modem anyway which has no such on/off
    > switch. Grrr!

    Neither does my fukken Linksys router, stupid fukken bastard I was for
    buying it.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.privacy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 13:47:14 -0400, Tom Giarmo <TomGiarmoI@use.net>
    wrote:

    >> I own that cable modem but my current ISP doesn't support it so I have
    >> to rent their archaic cable modem anyway which has no such on/off
    >> switch. Grrr!

    >Neither does my fukken Linksys router, stupid fukken bastard I was for
    >buying it.

    Go to Walmart and get an inline switch. It looks much like any outlet
    extension block but it has a switch. Insert it between the receptical
    and the power brick. Flick the switch.

    --

    Map of the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
    http://home.houston.rr.com/rkba/vrwc.html

    "Nothing in the world can take the place of perseverence. Talent
    will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education
    will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and
    determination alone are omnipotent."
    --Calvin Coolidge
  14. Archived from groups: alt.privacy.spyware,alt.privacy,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.win2000.general (More info?)

    On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 18:21:20 GMT, Bob wrote:

    >>Neither does my fukken Linksys router, stupid fukken bastard I was for
    >>buying it.
    >
    > Go to Walmart and get an inline switch. It looks much like any outlet
    > extension block but it has a switch. Insert it between the receptical
    > and the power brick. Flick the switch.

    Good fukken idea. Thanks.

    On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 06:46:49 -0400, "R. McCarty"
    <PcEngWork-NoSpam_@mindspring.com> wrote:

    >Depends, if you use Broadband you can Right Click the LAC icon
    >in the System Tray and left click Disable.

    I've got Pro SP2 and the "disable" selection is grayed out. Maybe
    only an administrator can do that?

    http://OakRoadSystems.com/
    "I am the very model of a Usenet personality" by Tom Holt:
    http://hem.fyristorg.com/gumby/holt/onthenet/usenetpersonality.html
  16. I know this thread is old but given this troubling article on the inquirer about how your firewall may not be the most trustworthy tool:

    Is your firewall spying on you?

    You may be interested to learn about a tool that is independent of any firewall (or other strings attached) and does just that - temporarily blocks all Internet activity, without blocking access to your local network:

    Block the Internet at your will

Privacy Microsoft Internet Windows XP