New BOD system: A triumph for the solo crafter, or the end..

archeon

The upcoming BOD changes (timer resets once you submit a filled BOD) seem to
have aroused much passion on the Stratics boards. As far as I can see, it
allows a greater chance of a solo, single account player getting a barbed
kit or a higher level hammer. I have 2 tailors and have got 3 barbed kits in
however long the system has been going, but my smith has yet to get higher
than a bronze runic hammer.

I imagine the price of these trinkets will drop a fair bit, which might also
break the monopoly held by the multi-account script bod collectors as they
conclude it aint worth it anymore.

Many seem convinced it will destroy the economy, (?)but as OSI are also
talking about item decay again, many crafters may actually be in business
again...

Anyone care to rub their crystal ball and gaze into the future??

Archeon

Archeon wrote:
> The upcoming BOD changes (timer resets once you submit a filled BOD) seem to
> have aroused much passion on the Stratics boards. As far as I can see, it
> allows a greater chance of a solo, single account player getting a barbed
> kit or a higher level hammer. I have 2 tailors and have got 3 barbed kits in
> however long the system has been going, but my smith has yet to get higher
> than a bronze runic hammer.
>
> I imagine the price of these trinkets will drop a fair bit, which might also
> break the monopoly held by the multi-account script bod collectors as they
> conclude it aint worth it anymore.
>
> Many seem convinced it will destroy the economy, (?)but as OSI are also
> talking about item decay again, many crafters may actually be in business
> again...
>
> Anyone care to rub their crystal ball and gaze into the future??

http://www.sntp.net/behaviorism/skinner.htm

Read the section on Operant Conditioning.

The other day I checked the shard list and 7 of the 10 most populated
shards were in Japan.

With a few exceptions I expect the changes to be popular in the Far East
and of no consequence for the US shards. I don't know anyone that quit
because they didn't like the BOD system or weapons did not wear out fast
enough. The BOD system isn't really fun or a reason to start or come
back to the game, it is an Operant Conditioning device. The USA chickens
have flown the coop so to speak.

I only have a couple of head knockers remaining anyway. I could give you
a chronolgy of why I dropped/stopped making warriors or converted them
but it is academic. I don't seem to be alone in abandoning warriors. I
actually still have a couple of bards, but they are pretty much out of
play. W/O warriors to consume the products of the BOD system it is a non
event.

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:30:21 GMT, Rick Cortese <ricortes@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>and of no consequence for the US shards. I don't know anyone that quit
>because they didn't like the BOD system

Errinyes Dragon - remember her? She used to be a helpful poster here.
She was one of the real hard core crafters who did things like calculate
the profit margins for creating various goods so she didn't charge players
too much. She quit because of BODs.

--
Michael Cecil
http://home.comcast.net/~macecil/

"Archeon" <archeon@ukgateway.net> wrote in message
> The upcoming BOD changes (timer resets once you submit a filled BOD) seem
> have aroused much passion on the Stratics boards. As far as I can see, it
> allows a greater chance of a solo, single account player getting a barbed
> kit or a higher level hammer. I have 2 tailors and have got 3 barbed kits
in
> however long the system has been going, but my smith has yet to get higher
> than a bronze runic hammer.
>
> I imagine the price of these trinkets will drop a fair bit, which might
also
> break the monopoly held by the multi-account script bod collectors as they
> conclude it aint worth it anymore.
>
> Many seem convinced it will destroy the economy, (?)but as OSI are also
> talking about item decay again, many crafters may actually be in business
> again...
>
> Anyone care to rub their crystal ball and gaze into the future??

Item decay may be helpful. I would say, only allow an item to be put on a
decay list if that item has not been used, handled or moved within a one
month period.

There does seem to be a problem with "too many items" in Ultima right now.
This was especially the case when the paragons arrived. Not only were there
suddenly an enormous amount of high mod weapons coming from the paragons,
but the paragons gave out so many minor arties (and still do) that such
things as the Arctic Mace were being sold at a lower price than a regular
mace with lesser mods.