Weird problem with my RAM

timlondon

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
Hello,

I have been experiencing a weird problem since I first bought my computer. When I play any 3D games or applications the screen will turn black (which the monitor loses its signal) for a few seconds, reappear and then turn black again continuously.

This may not look like a RAM problem but when I remove one of the 2 Kingston 256MB RAM stick (I use dual channel configuration which consists of 2X256 MB RAM) the problem mysteriously fixed. But this also cause my computer to lose lots of performance. I have tried to replace it with a new identical RAM but the problem's still the same. It will only be fixed if I remove one of them.

My computer specification:
Intel Pentium 4 2.6Ghz with HT
Asus P4P800 mobo
Asus V9280 Geforce 4 TI 4200-8X
2X256 MB Kingston RAM (dual channel)
40GB hard disk

Anyway I want the dual channel RAM working but not one only. Does any one know how to solve the problem?

Thanks,
Timmy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sounds like a timing issue, try increasing vDIMM in BIOS to force the RAM to respond more quickly. I suggest 2.75v.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

timlondon

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2003
Thanks for the reply but I am not sure which one to change in the BIOS. I've found a few settings that has to do with the RAM under the Chipset Settings in BIOS:

DRAM Idle Timer
Available Options: [Infinite] [0T] [8T] [16T] [64T] [Auto]
Default is [Auto]

DRAM Refresh Mode
Available Options: [Auto] [15.6 uSec] [7.8 uSEC] [64 uSEC] [Auto]
Default is [Auto]

Can somebody please advise which one to change the RAM response timing?

Thanks,
Timmy

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd just try increasing vDIMM first. That's found under the Advanced tab, Jumper Free Configuration, where it's called DDR Reference Voltage. Change it from Auto to 2.75v and see if that helps.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>