optical (toslink) audio cables....no good????

Last response: in Home Audio
October 28, 2004 8:16:05 AM

Pardon me if this question has been asked recently. I'm just now
returning to rec.audio.high-end after a 10 year hiatus.

I have a Pansonic DVD player with an optical audio output jack. My new
Sony surround receiver has numerous optical audio inputs.

I've tried two different brands of toslink cables (including Monster
Cable) but cannot get a secure connection. The cable ends can simply
slip out of the jacks. Does one need rubber cement or something to use
these things properly? Anyone else have the same issue?

Thanks,
Chris
October 29, 2004 4:00:14 AM

Chris Kantack wrote:
> Pardon me if this question has been asked recently. I'm just now
> returning to rec.audio.high-end after a 10 year hiatus.
>
> I have a Pansonic DVD player with an optical audio output jack. My new
> Sony surround receiver has numerous optical audio inputs.
>
> I've tried two different brands of toslink cables (including Monster
> Cable) but cannot get a secure connection. The cable ends can simply
> slip out of the jacks. Does one need rubber cement or something to use
> these things properly? Anyone else have the same issue?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris

No, the cable should snap into place. Make sure you are not using
mini-Toslink. You can see the differences here:

http://www.kdcomputers.com/eui/prime/profile/1679/118/c...
Anonymous
October 30, 2004 7:54:40 AM

On 29 Oct 2004 00:00:14 GMT, Chung <chunglau@covad.net> wrote:

>Chris Kantack wrote:
>> Pardon me if this question has been asked recently. I'm just now
>> returning to rec.audio.high-end after a 10 year hiatus.
>>
>> I have a Pansonic DVD player with an optical audio output jack. My new
>> Sony surround receiver has numerous optical audio inputs.
>>
>> I've tried two different brands of toslink cables (including Monster
>> Cable) but cannot get a secure connection. The cable ends can simply
>> slip out of the jacks. Does one need rubber cement or something to use
>> these things properly? Anyone else have the same issue?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris
>
>No, the cable should snap into place. Make sure you are not using
>mini-Toslink. You can see the differences here:
>
>http://www.kdcomputers.com/eui/prime/profile/1679/118/c...
This may sound dumb, but make sure the rubber cover is taken off the
end before you insert the connector. Yep, it has been done by many the
first time!
!