Replacing corrupt windows files

My computer locked up during a windows update (hardware drivers)
installation. After resetting it, I got errors against my DVD drive and my
sound card has disappeared. The DVD drive properties now says that the
windows driver is missing or corrupted.

How can I get the windows driver back without having to re-install windows ?
(Win XP home)

Cheers
3 answers Last reply
More about replacing corrupt windows files

    How to start the System Restore tool at a command prompt in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304449

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Gibbylinks wrote:

    > My computer locked up during a windows update (hardware drivers)
    > installation. After resetting it, I got errors against my DVD drive and my
    > sound card has disappeared. The DVD drive properties now says that the
    > windows driver is missing or corrupted.
    >
    > How can I get the windows driver back without having to re-install windows ?
    > (Win XP home)
    >
    > Cheers

    In the future don't get driver updates from the WU site. If needed go
    to the device manufacturer's site or the computer OEM. And only update
    drivers if there is a problem the update should correct or a must have
    new feature.

    --
    Rock
    MS MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Gibbylinks wrote:
    >> My computer locked up during a windows update (hardware drivers)
    >> installation. After resetting it, I got errors against my DVD drive
    >> and my sound card has disappeared. The DVD drive properties now says
    >> that the windows driver is missing or corrupted.
    >>
    >> How can I get the windows driver back without having to re-install
    >> windows ? (Win XP home)
    >>
    >> Cheers

    Look into System restore - there is probably a restore point made just
    before you did the Windows Update.

    If not, try to roll back the drivers where you can. That may be sufficient.

    If not, you can remove entry for the device from Device Manager, reboot,
    have Windows re-detected it. Best if you have the manufacturer's device
    drivers handy if in case Windows asks for them.

    Even further, you can actually physically remove the device .. and go
    through the process of replacing it and having Windows detect it. Best if
    you have the manufacturer's device drivers handy if in case Windows asks for
    them.

DVD Drives Windows XP