Can't kill a print job

XP Pro + SP2 + HP Deskjet 840C

I think this is the first print job that's gone wrong since upgrading from
Win98se. I can't stop a detailed graphics job from printing.

I suspect there is so much in the XP's buffer that cancelling the job and
switching the printer on and off to trash the printer's buffer still results
in masses of junk output.

If I want to stop a job in an emegency I cancel the job and sometimes, it
depends, remove the paper from the printer and switch the printer off and on
maybe feeding one page through until the junk stops printing.

It was taking so long presumably because of the big graphics job that I
decided to restart XP...

.... lo and behold, the print job restarted as if I'd not tried to stop it at
all. It's like Glen Close in Fatal Attraction - the bi*tch wouln't die ...
:-}

Regards
Stephen Ford
24 answers Last reply
More about kill print

    After canceling the job, stop the printer spooler service and restart it.

    "Stephen Ford" <stephen_ford_NOSPAM_@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > XP Pro + SP2 + HP Deskjet 840C
    >
    > I think this is the first print job that's gone wrong since upgrading from
    > Win98se. I can't stop a detailed graphics job from printing.
    >
    > I suspect there is so much in the XP's buffer that cancelling the job and
    > switching the printer on and off to trash the printer's buffer still
    > results in masses of junk output.
    >
    > If I want to stop a job in an emegency I cancel the job and sometimes, it
    > depends, remove the paper from the printer and switch the printer off and
    > on maybe feeding one page through until the junk stops printing.
    >
    > It was taking so long presumably because of the big graphics job that I
    > decided to restart XP...
    >
    > ... lo and behold, the print job restarted as if I'd not tried to stop it
    > at all. It's like Glen Close in Fatal Attraction - the bi*tch wouln't die
    > ... :-}
    >
    > Regards
    > Stephen Ford

    Open printer properties and purge the documents in the
    buffer.

    some support

    "Stephen Ford" <stephen_ford_NOSPAM_@ntlworld.com> wrote in
    message news:e8c2ZyObFHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    | XP Pro + SP2 + HP Deskjet 840C
    |
    | I think this is the first print job that's gone wrong
    since upgrading from
    | Win98se. I can't stop a detailed graphics job from
    printing.

    | I suspect there is so much in the XP's buffer that
    cancelling the job and
    | switching the printer on and off to trash the printer's
    buffer still results
    | in masses of junk output.
    |
    | If I want to stop a job in an emegency I cancel the job
    and sometimes, it
    | depends, remove the paper from the printer and switch the
    printer off and on
    | maybe feeding one page through until the junk stops
    printing.

    | It was taking so long presumably because of the big
    graphics job that I
    | decided to restart XP...
    |
    | ... lo and behold, the print job restarted as if I'd not
    tried to stop it at
    | all. It's like Glen Close in Fatal Attraction - the bi*tch
    wouln't die ...
    | :-}
    |
    | Regards
    | Stephen Ford

    "Stephen Ford" <stephen_ford_NOSPAM_@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > XP Pro + SP2 + HP Deskjet 840C
    >
    > I think this is the first print job that's gone wrong since upgrading from
    > Win98se. I can't stop a detailed graphics job from printing.
    >
    > I suspect there is so much in the XP's buffer that cancelling the job and
    > switching the printer on and off to trash the printer's buffer still
    results
    > in masses of junk output.
    >
    > If I want to stop a job in an emegency I cancel the job and sometimes, it
    > depends, remove the paper from the printer and switch the printer off and
    on
    > maybe feeding one page through until the junk stops printing.
    >
    > It was taking so long presumably because of the big graphics job that I
    > decided to restart XP...
    >
    > ... lo and behold, the print job restarted as if I'd not tried to stop it
    at
    > all. It's like Glen Close in Fatal Attraction - the bi*tch wouln't die ...
    > :-}
    >
    > Regards
    > Stephen Ford

    Paste the following lines into a batch file, then create a shortcut
    to invoke the batch file. The method is simple, brutal and usually
    very effective.

    @echo off
    net stop "print spooler"
    del /q "%SystemRoot%\system32\spool\PRINTERS\*.*"
    net start "print spooler"
    ping localhost -n 5 > nul

    Pegasus (MVP) wrote:

    > "Stephen Ford" <stephen_ford_NOSPAM_@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>XP Pro + SP2 + HP Deskjet 840C
    >>
    >>I think this is the first print job that's gone wrong since upgrading from
    >>Win98se. I can't stop a detailed graphics job from printing.
    >>
    >>I suspect there is so much in the XP's buffer that cancelling the job and
    >>switching the printer on and off to trash the printer's buffer still
    >
    > results
    >
    >>in masses of junk output.
    >>
    >>If I want to stop a job in an emegency I cancel the job and sometimes, it
    >>depends, remove the paper from the printer and switch the printer off and
    >
    > on
    >
    >>maybe feeding one page through until the junk stops printing.
    >>
    >>It was taking so long presumably because of the big graphics job that I
    >>decided to restart XP...
    >>
    >>... lo and behold, the print job restarted as if I'd not tried to stop it
    >
    > at
    >
    >>all. It's like Glen Close in Fatal Attraction - the bi*tch wouln't die ...
    >>:-}
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>Stephen Ford
    >>

    > Paste the following lines into a batch file, then create a shortcut
    > to invoke the batch file. The method is simple, brutal and usually
    > very effective.
    >
    > @echo off
    > net stop "print spooler"
    > del /q "%SystemRoot%\system32\spool\PRINTERS\*.*"
    > net start "print spooler"
    > ping localhost -n 5 > nul

    What is the ping line for?

    Steve

    Pegasus

    I like the look of this. Thanks.

    > @echo off
    > net stop "print spooler"
    > del /q "%SystemRoot%\system32\spool\PRINTERS\*.*"
    > net start "print spooler"
    > ping localhost -n 5 > nul

    Stephen

    A 4 second delay is what it is for. The question is why is there a 4
    second delay? :-)

    Steve N. wrote:

    > Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    >
    >> "Stephen Ford" <stephen_ford_NOSPAM_@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> XP Pro + SP2 + HP Deskjet 840C
    >>>
    >>> I think this is the first print job that's gone wrong since upgrading
    >>> from
    >>> Win98se. I can't stop a detailed graphics job from printing.
    >>>
    >>> I suspect there is so much in the XP's buffer that cancelling the job
    >>> and
    >>> switching the printer on and off to trash the printer's buffer still
    >>

    >> results
    >>
    >>> in masses of junk output.
    >>>
    >>> If I want to stop a job in an emegency I cancel the job and
    >>> sometimes, it
    >>> depends, remove the paper from the printer and switch the printer off
    >>> and
    >>

    >> on
    >>
    >>> maybe feeding one page through until the junk stops printing.
    >>>
    >>> It was taking so long presumably because of the big graphics job that I
    >>> decided to restart XP...
    >>>
    >>> ... lo and behold, the print job restarted as if I'd not tried to
    >>> stop it
    >>

    >> at
    >>
    >>> all. It's like Glen Close in Fatal Attraction - the bi*tch wouln't
    >>> die ...
    >>> :-}
    >>>
    >>> Regards
    >>> Stephen Ford
    >>>

    >> Paste the following lines into a batch file, then create a shortcut
    >> to invoke the batch file. The method is simple, brutal and usually
    >> very effective.
    >>
    >> @echo off
    >> net stop "print spooler"
    >> del /q "%SystemRoot%\system32\spool\PRINTERS\*.*"
    >> net start "print spooler"
    >> ping localhost -n 5 > nul
    >>

    > What is the ping line for?
    >
    > Steve

    Your method works in theory. In practice there can be
    extremely long delays, even hours, until the jobs get
    purged.

    > Open printer properties and purge the documents in the
    > buffer.

    > some support
    > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >

    > "Stephen Ford" <stephen_ford_NOSPAM_@ntlworld.com> wrote in
    > message news:e8c2ZyObFHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > | XP Pro + SP2 + HP Deskjet 840C
    > |
    > | I think this is the first print job that's gone wrong
    > since upgrading from
    > | Win98se. I can't stop a detailed graphics job from
    > printing.
    > |
    > | I suspect there is so much in the XP's buffer that
    > cancelling the job and
    > | switching the printer on and off to trash the printer's
    > buffer still results
    > | in masses of junk output.
    > |
    > | If I want to stop a job in an emegency I cancel the job
    > and sometimes, it
    > | depends, remove the paper from the printer and switch the
    > printer off and on
    > | maybe feeding one page through until the junk stops
    > printing.
    > |
    > | It was taking so long presumably because of the big
    > graphics job that I
    > | decided to restart XP...
    > |
    > | ... lo and behold, the print job restarted as if I'd not
    > tried to stop it at
    > | all. It's like Glen Close in Fatal Attraction - the bi*tch
    > wouln't die ...
    > | :-}
    > |
    > | Regards
    > | Stephen Ford

    Gee, it only takes a few seconds on my computer, I have an
    HP 3820 and it has a pause print and a "cancel all" command.
    Some printers say purge, but why would it take hours to run?

    some support

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    | Your method works in theory. In practice there can be
    | extremely long delays, even hours, until the jobs get
    | purged.

    in message
    | > Open printer properties and purge the documents in the
    | > buffer.
    | >

    | > --
    | > some support
    | > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    | >

    | > "Stephen Ford" <stephen_ford_NOSPAM_@ntlworld.com> wrote
    in
    | > message news:e8c2ZyObFHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    | > | XP Pro + SP2 + HP Deskjet 840C
    | > |
    | > | I think this is the first print job that's gone wrong
    | > since upgrading from
    | > | Win98se. I can't stop a detailed graphics job from
    | > printing.
    | > |
    | > | I suspect there is so much in the XP's buffer that
    | > cancelling the job and
    | > | switching the printer on and off to trash the
    printer's
    | > buffer still results
    | > | in masses of junk output.
    | > |
    | > | If I want to stop a job in an emegency I cancel the
    job
    | > and sometimes, it
    | > | depends, remove the paper from the printer and switch
    the
    | > printer off and on
    | > | maybe feeding one page through until the junk stops
    | > printing.
    | > |
    | > | It was taking so long presumably because of the big
    | > graphics job that I
    | > | decided to restart XP...
    | > |
    | > | ... lo and behold, the print job restarted as if I'd
    not
    | > tried to stop it at
    | > | all. It's like Glen Close in Fatal Attraction - the
    bi*tch
    | > wouln't die ...
    | > | :-}
    | > |
    | > | Regards
    | > | Stephen Ford
    | > |
    | > |

    Sometimes you can go directly to the Spooling folder and remove
    the jobs from there:
    C:\Windows\System32\Spool\Printers
    On my system I redirect my "Spooling" folder to a scratch disk
    where I keep all my Temp/workspace stuff. MS has an article on
    how to redirect it here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308666&sd=tech

    > Gee, it only takes a few seconds on my computer, I have an
    > HP 3820 and it has a pause print and a "cancel all" command.
    > Some printers say purge, but why would it take hours to run?

    > some support
    > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >

    > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    > | Your method works in theory. In practice there can be
    > | extremely long delays, even hours, until the jobs get
    > | purged.
    > |

    > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    > in message
    > | > Open printer properties and purge the documents in the
    > | > buffer.
    > | >

    > | > --
    > | > The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    > | > But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    > | > some support
    > | > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    > | >

    > | > "Stephen Ford" <stephen_ford_NOSPAM_@ntlworld.com> wrote
    > in
    > | > message news:e8c2ZyObFHA.4004@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > | > |
    > | > since upgrading from
    > | > printing.
    > | > |
    > | > cancelling the job and
    > printer's
    > | > buffer still results
    > | > |
    > job
    > | > and sometimes, it
    > the
    > | > printer off and on
    > | > printing.
    > | > |
    > | > graphics job that I
    > | > |
    > not
    > | > tried to stop it at
    > bi*tch
    > | > wouln't die ...
    > | > |
    > | > |
    > | > |

    Yes, I have seen it take an hour/s depending on the job sent.

    Jim Macklin wrote:
    > Gee, it only takes a few seconds on my computer, I have an
    > HP 3820 and it has a pause print and a "cancel all" command.
    > Some printers say purge, but why would it take hours to run?

    Because the son-of-a-bitch deletes the first byte in the queue and shuffles
    the remaining 30 million bytes up by one. Then it deletes another byte.

    I don't know the ACTUAL reason, but the above theory matches the symptoms.

    On a fast printer, you're better off letting the damn thing print 100 pages
    of trash than to purge the job.

    Funny you should say this because my print job just disappeared of it's own
    volition ... well after I'd done everything I could think off..

    Regards
    Stephen Ford

    Bobby wrote:

    > Yes, I have seen it take an hour/s depending on the job sent.

    I have seen it still "cancelling" for over a day in some cases. That's
    when I go into Safe Mode and delete the damn printer.

    Steve

    "Steve N." <me@here.now> wrote in message
    > Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    >
    > > "Stephen Ford" <stephen_ford_NOSPAM_@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > >>XP Pro + SP2 + HP Deskjet 840C
    > >>
    > >>I think this is the first print job that's gone wrong since upgrading
    from
    > >>Win98se. I can't stop a detailed graphics job from printing.
    > >>
    > >>I suspect there is so much in the XP's buffer that cancelling the job
    and
    > >>switching the printer on and off to trash the printer's buffer still
    > >
    > > results
    > >
    > >>in masses of junk output.
    > >>
    > >>If I want to stop a job in an emegency I cancel the job and sometimes,
    it
    > >>depends, remove the paper from the printer and switch the printer off
    and

    > > on
    > >
    > >>maybe feeding one page through until the junk stops printing.
    > >>
    > >>It was taking so long presumably because of the big graphics job that I
    > >>decided to restart XP...
    > >>
    > >>... lo and behold, the print job restarted as if I'd not tried to stop
    it

    > > at
    > >
    > >>all. It's like Glen Close in Fatal Attraction - the bi*tch wouln't die
    > >>:-}
    > >>
    > >>Regards
    > >>Stephen Ford
    > >>

    > > Paste the following lines into a batch file, then create a shortcut
    > > to invoke the batch file. The method is simple, brutal and usually
    > > very effective.
    > >
    > > @echo off
    > > net stop "print spooler"
    > > del /q "%SystemRoot%\system32\spool\PRINTERS\*.*"
    > > net start "print spooler"
    > > ping localhost -n 5 > nul
    > >

    > What is the ping line for?
    >
    > Steve

    It gives the user 5 seconds of viewing time, to see the
    result of the job. Sometimes the print spooler service
    cannot be stopped - this is a simple way of making
    the user aware of this.

    Pegasus (MVP) wrote:

    > "Steve N." <me@here.now> wrote in message
    >
    >>Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Stephen Ford" <stephen_ford_NOSPAM_@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    > from

    > and

    >>>results

    > it

    > and
    >
    >>>on

    > it
    >
    >>>at

    >>>Paste the following lines into a batch file, then create a shortcut
    >>>to invoke the batch file. The method is simple, brutal and usually
    >>>very effective.
    >>>
    >>>@echo off
    >>>net stop "print spooler"
    >>>del /q "%SystemRoot%\system32\spool\PRINTERS\*.*"
    >>>net start "print spooler"
    >>>ping localhost -n 5 > nul
    >>>

    >>What is the ping line for?
    >>
    >>Steve
    >>

    > It gives the user 5 seconds of viewing time, to see the
    > result of the job. Sometimes the print spooler service
    > cannot be stopped - this is a simple way of making
    > the user aware of this.

    I knew it would cause a delay, just didn't know why. Thanks for the
    explanation.

    Steve

    If I knew the answer to your question then I would not
    use my little purge tool. The problem usually occurs when
    there is something wrong with the printer, e.g. an invalid
    printer port (e.g. USB instead of LPT1, or an invalid
    network printer).

    Pegasus (MVP) wrote:

    > If I knew the answer to your question then I would not
    > use my little purge tool. The problem usually occurs when
    > there is something wrong with the printer, e.g. an invalid
    > printer port (e.g. USB instead of LPT1, or an invalid
    > network printer).

    Also corrupted job, data or printer driver.

    Steve

    > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in message
    >
    >>Gee, it only takes a few seconds on my computer, I have an
    >>HP 3820 and it has a pause print and a "cancel all" command.
    >>Some printers say purge, but why would it take hours to run?
    >>

    >>--
    >>The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >>But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >> some support
    >>http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >>

    >>"Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    >>| Your method works in theory. In practice there can be
    >>| extremely long delays, even hours, until the jobs get
    >>| purged.
    >>|

    >>| "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    >>in message

    >>in
    >>| > |
    >>| > |
    >>printer's
    >>| > |
    >>job
    >>the
    >>| > |
    >>| > |
    >>not
    >>bi*tch
    >>| > |
    >>| > |
    >>| > |

    I first encountered this problem when trying to configure a couple
    of dedicated print servers. As well as jammed queues the spooler
    process would run at about 99% cpu usage.

    The batch file I wrote has the line
    net stop spooler
    rather than
    net stop "print spooler"

    Both work - any ideas why?

    > If I knew the answer to your question then I would not
    > use my little purge tool. The problem usually occurs when
    > there is something wrong with the printer, e.g. an invalid
    > printer port (e.g. USB instead of LPT1, or an invalid
    > network printer).
    >

    > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in
    > message news:eKTjAkPbFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >> Gee, it only takes a few seconds on my computer, I have an
    >> HP 3820 and it has a pause print and a "cancel all" command.
    >> Some printers say purge, but why would it take hours to run?
    >>

    >> --
    >> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    >> some support
    >> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    >>

    >> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    >> | Your method works in theory. In practice there can be
    >> | extremely long delays, even hours, until the jobs get
    >> | purged.
    >> |

    >> | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote
    >> in message

    >> in
    >> | > |
    >> | > |
    >> printer's
    >> | > |
    >> job
    >> the
    >> | > |
    >> | > |
    >> not
    >> bi*tch
    >> | > |
    >> | > |
    >> | > |

    Incorrect settings don't seem to be the issue the OP raised,
    but a particular file.

    Thanks, I did learn a few new things though.

    some support

    "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    | If I knew the answer to your question then I would not
    | use my little purge tool. The problem usually occurs when
    | there is something wrong with the printer, e.g. an invalid
    | printer port (e.g. USB instead of LPT1, or an invalid
    | network printer).

    in message
    | > Gee, it only takes a few seconds on my computer, I have
    an
    | > HP 3820 and it has a pause print and a "cancel all"
    command.
    | > Some printers say purge, but why would it take hours to
    run?

    | > --
    | > some support
    | > http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    | >

    | > "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message
    | > | Your method works in theory. In practice there can be
    | > | extremely long delays, even hours, until the jobs get
    | > | purged.
    | > |
    | > |
    | > | "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm>
    wrote
    | > in message

    overcome.

    | > in
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > printer's
    | > | > |
    | > job
    | > the
    stops
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    I'd
    | > not
    | > bi*tch
    | > | > |
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > |

    Actually, about 5 seconds . . .

    > A 4 second delay is what it is for. The question is why is there a 4
    > second delay? :-)
    >
    > Steve N. wrote:
    >
    > > Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Stephen Ford" <stephen_ford_NOSPAM_@ntlworld.com> wrote in message

    > >> results

    > >> on

    > >> at

    > >> Paste the following lines into a batch file, then create a shortcut
    > >> to invoke the batch file. The method is simple, brutal and usually
    > >> very effective.
    > >>
    > >> @echo off
    > >> net stop "print spooler"
    > >> del /q "%SystemRoot%\system32\spool\PRINTERS\*.*"
    > >> net start "print spooler"
    > >> ping localhost -n 5 > nul
    > >>

    > > What is the ping line for?
    > >
    > > Steve

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Pegasus (MVP) wrote:

    > "Bob I" <birelan@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >> Steve N. wrote:
    >>> Pegasus (MVP) wrote:
    (snip)

    >>> What is the ping line for?
    >>>
    >> A 4 second delay is what it is for. The question is why is
    >> there a 4 second delay? :-)
    >
    > Actually, about 5 seconds . . .
    Hi,

    Actually, the "formula" commonly used in the scripting groups and
    command line/batch groups, is that the number behind -n is number
    of seconds to pause + 1, so "-n 5" would be closer to 4 seconds than
    5 seconds.

    Using the VBScript below (using -n 5), I get results from 4.2 to 4.5
    seconds.

    '--------------------8<----------------------
    Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

    iStartTime = Timer
    oShell.Run "ping.exe localhost -n 5", 0, True
    iEndTime = Timer
    WScript.Echo iEndTime - iStartTime

    '--------------------8<----------------------

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Torgeir Bakken (MVP)" <Torgeir.Bakken-spam@hydro.com> wrote in message
    > Pegasus (MVP) wrote:

    > (snip)

    > >> A 4 second delay is what it is for. The question is why is
    > >> there a 4 second delay? :-)
    > >
    > > Actually, about 5 seconds . . .
    > Hi,
    >
    > Actually, the "formula" commonly used in the scripting groups and
    > command line/batch groups, is that the number behind -n is number
    > of seconds to pause + 1, so "-n 5" would be closer to 4 seconds than
    > 5 seconds.
    >
    > Using the VBScript below (using -n 5), I get results from 4.2 to 4.5
    > seconds.
    >
    > '--------------------8<----------------------
    > Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    >
    > iStartTime = Timer
    > oShell.Run "ping.exe localhost -n 5", 0, True
    > iEndTime = Timer
    > WScript.Echo iEndTime - iStartTime
    >
    > '--------------------8<----------------------

    > the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    You're right!
  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    The registry key for this service is "Spooler", and its display
    name is "Print Spooler". Either can be used when referring
    to the service.

    "McSpreader" <invalid@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I first encountered this problem when trying to configure a couple
    > of dedicated print servers. As well as jammed queues the spooler
    > process would run at about 99% cpu usage.
    >
    > The batch file I wrote has the line
    > net stop spooler
    > rather than
    > net stop "print spooler"
    >
    > Both work - any ideas why?
    >

    > "Pegasus \(MVP\)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in
    >
    > > If I knew the answer to your question then I would not
    > > use my little purge tool. The problem usually occurs when
    > > there is something wrong with the printer, e.g. an invalid
    > > printer port (e.g. USB instead of LPT1, or an invalid
    > > network printer).
    > >

    > > "Jim Macklin" <p51mustang[threeX12]@xxxhotmail.calm> wrote in
    > > message news:eKTjAkPbFHA.1404@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > >> Gee, it only takes a few seconds on my computer, I have an
    > >> HP 3820 and it has a pause print and a "cancel all" command.
    > >> Some printers say purge, but why would it take hours to run?
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >> The people think the Constitution protects their rights;
    > >> But government sees it as an obstacle to be overcome.
    > >> some support
    > >> http://www.usdoj.gov/olc/secondamendment2.htm
    > >>

    > >> "Pegasus (MVP)" <I.can@fly.com> wrote in message

    > >> in message

    > >> in
    > >> | > |
    > >> | > |
    > >> printer's
    > >> | > |
    > >> job
    > >> the
    > >> | > |
    > >> | > |
    > >> not
    > >> bi*tch
    > >> | > |
    > >> | > |
    > >> | > |

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "HeyBub" <heybub@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Jim Macklin wrote:
    >> Gee, it only takes a few seconds on my computer, I have an
    >> HP 3820 and it has a pause print and a "cancel all" command.
    >> Some printers say purge, but why would it take hours to run?
    >
    > Because the son-of-a-bitch deletes the first byte in the queue and
    > shuffles the remaining 30 million bytes up by one. Then it deletes another
    > byte.

    Well at least it gets faster as it progresses ... :-)}

    > I don't know the ACTUAL reason, but the above theory matches the symptoms.

    > On a fast printer, you're better off letting the damn thing print 100
    > pages of trash than to purge the job.

    Hmmm ... not so sure about that, but can sympathise with the sentiment. Just
    imagin if everyone chose that solution! Best to solve the problem... save
    the world?

    Stephen Ford

Printers Windows XP