Low end cable question about transferring vinyl to digital

Last response: in Home Audio
October 29, 2004 4:05:14 AM

All,

I want to transfer a bunch of vinyl to a computer and then rip some
audio files. I can do the ripping bit fine. I know I need a cable of
some type to go from the audio output of the turntable to the (line
in? audio in? I'll look tonight) on my computer's sound card. Does
such a cable have a specific name? A specific name might help me wade
through the tier one sales drones at the typical consumer electronics
store, or keep me from coming howm with the wrong cable.

thanks all,

October 30, 2004 3:02:25 AM

Reed Loefgren <rloef@interfold.com> wrote:
> All,

> I want to transfer a bunch of vinyl to a computer and then rip some
> audio files. I can do the ripping bit fine. I know I need a cable of
> some type to go from the audio output of the turntable to the (line
> in? audio in? I'll look tonight) on my computer's sound card.

You need more than that -- you need a preamp that can also apply the
RIAA curve to the TT output. Unless your soundcard is so equipped,
you won't get good results just running a cable from TT to soundcard.

--
-S
Your a boring little troll. How does it feel? Go blow your bad breath elsewhere.

You will need more than a cable to go from the turntable to the
computer. You will need a phono preamp (with RIAA compensation). The
cables to and from the phono preamp can be inexpensive shielded cables
from Radio Shack.

---MIKE---
October 31, 2004 1:45:20 AM

In article <cluiap02n0i@news1.newsguy.com>, twinmountain@webtv.net
says...
> You will need more than a cable to go from the turntable to the
> computer. You will need a phono preamp (with RIAA compensation). The
> cables to and from the phono preamp can be inexpensive shielded cables
> from Radio Shack.
>

> ---MIKE---

Yes. I keep an old Sony Stereo Receiver around just for the purpose of
transferring vinyl to CDs. With standard RCA stereo connectors I can
attach my turntable to the receiver's phono input. (I also make sure I
attach the turntable's grounding terminal to the receiver ground to
eliminate any 60 Hz A.C. hum.)

I then attach the receiver's RCA tape monitor jacks to the "line in"
jack of my laptop. Look for a cable with RCA plugs on one end with the
typical 1/8" mini-plug on the other.

Note that I do all my recording while running the laptop on battery
power. I find on my IBM T30 that any attempt at using regular AC power
will result in some 60 Hz hum entering into the recording.

In the past I've also occasionallyhad problems with the mini-plugs not
making a good mate to 1/8" jacks. It seems that a lot of mini-jacks
aren't all that durable. Usually applying a little solder flux (not
solder--but solder flux) to the plug will solve that problem.

In my own experience, I've had tremendous success with my digital
transfers. To my ears, the CD recordings I make (16 bit/44.1Khz WAV
files) capture all the magic of that "vinyl sound". I often use an
editor to (manually) eliminate any loud pops or ticks prior to final
burning of a track to CD. Thus I often find my CD copies to be
"better" than the originals.

Chris Kantack
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 3:57:18 AM

Does your turntable have a magnetic cartrige? If so you'll need a phono
stage (I saw one at circuit city the other day) or you'll need to run your
turntable through a receiver and hook your receivers line outs to your sound
card.
There are programs that suposedly help in converting phono albums to mp3s
but I know nothing about them
FINALLY you might want to look into an external sound card that hooks up via
USB, creative has one for 40 bucks or so, Thats the one I use.
The reason for this would be that the innards of a computer are notoriusly
noisy