Speaker Cable v. Lamp Cord

Hello All,
Is there any difference between (same gauge) speaker cable and lamp
cord? I cannot see any reason why there would be, especially if bannana
plugs are soldered on to both ends. If there are differences, why? I
can't for the life of me think why speaker cable would be better than
standard wire.

Mike
87 answers Last reply
More about speaker cable lamp cord
  1. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    On 29 Oct 2004 23:06:49 GMT, Michael Dombrowski
    <legodudenein@hammycorp.com> wrote:

    >Hello All,
    >Is there any difference between (same gauge) speaker cable and lamp
    >cord? I cannot see any reason why there would be, especially if bannana
    >plugs are soldered on to both ends. If there are differences, why? I
    >can't for the life of me think why speaker cable would be better than
    >standard wire.
    >
    >Mike
    Same stuff, just different price. Lamp cord is even marked for
    polarity, usually by either a ribbed or hex-shaped insulation over one
    of the conductors.
  2. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    Michael Dombrowski wrote:
    > Hello All,
    > Is there any difference between (same gauge) speaker cable and lamp
    > cord? I cannot see any reason why there would be, especially if bannana
    > plugs are soldered on to both ends. If there are differences, why? I
    > can't for the life of me think why speaker cable would be better than
    > standard wire.
    >
    > Mike

    If the gauges are the same, then there is no difference. No one has been
    able to measure any differences that could be audible at the speaker
    terminals. Assuming the same lengths, of course.
  3. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    On 29 Oct 2004 23:06:49 GMT, Michael Dombrowski
    <legodudenein@hammycorp.com> wrote:

    >Hello All,
    >Is there any difference between (same gauge) speaker cable and lamp
    >cord? I cannot see any reason why there would be, especially if bannana
    >plugs are soldered on to both ends. If there are differences, why? I
    >can't for the life of me think why speaker cable would be better than
    >standard wire.

    There has been for about five or six years now, a pool of around
    $5,000 for anyone who can tell the difference between basic zipcord
    (lamp cord, if you will) and the most exotic 'audiophile' speaker
    cable (which can run up to more than $1,000 a *foot*!), under
    level-matched double blind conditions. i.e. when they don't actually
    *know* what's connected. In all that time, and despite many claims of
    'obvious', 'night and day', and 'pretty amazing' differences, not one
    single person has even *attempted* to claim this money.

    That should indicate to you that 'wire is wire', certainly no one has
    been able to demonstrate an ability to *hear* any differences,
    whatever they may *claim* on this or any other newsgroup. I find it
    fascinating that the more vocal claimants tend to appear in places
    such as Audio Asylum (a well-named group if ever there was one!),
    where discussion of blind testing is effectively banned by the
    moderators/censors. A more cynical person might think that they don't
    *want* to know the truth...................

  4. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    On 2004-10-30 09:06:49 +1000, Michael Dombrowski
    <legodudenein@hammycorp.com> said:

    > Hello All,
    > Is there any difference between (same gauge) speaker cable and lamp
    > cord? I cannot see any reason why there would be, especially if bannana
    > plugs are soldered on to both ends. If there are differences, why? I
    > can't for the life of me think why speaker cable would be better than
    > standard wire.
    >
    > Mike

    If you can't see or hear the difference, then you're obviously not in
    marketing =)
    for the record, no, I'm not in marketing either and am quite happy with
    a pair of $1500 speakers hanging off the ends of some 10 Amp mains
    flex...
  5. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    On 10/29/04 11:54 PM, in article clv3ai0ie@news2.newsguy.com, "John C."
    <john_c@pcperspective.com> wrote:

    > On 29 Oct 2004 23:06:49 GMT, Michael Dombrowski
    > <legodudenein@hammycorp.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Hello All,
    >> Is there any difference between (same gauge) speaker cable and lamp
    >> cord? I cannot see any reason why there would be, especially if bannana
    >> plugs are soldered on to both ends. If there are differences, why? I
    >> can't for the life of me think why speaker cable would be better than
    >> standard wire.
    >>
    >> Mike
    > Same stuff, just different price. Lamp cord is even marked for
    > polarity, usually by either a ribbed or hex-shaped insulation over one
    > of the conductors.

    There *are* some fancier speaker cables that are a good deal more
    complex/engineered than lamp cord. Whether it is worth the extra money
    charged for that or dedicated speaker cables depends upon system and taste.
  6. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    Michael Dombrowski wrote:
    > Hello All,
    > Is there any difference between (same gauge) speaker cable and lamp
    > cord? I cannot see any reason why there would be, especially if bannana
    > plugs are soldered on to both ends. If there are differences, why? I
    > can't for the life of me think why speaker cable would be better than
    > standard wire.
    >
    > Mike

    Thanks all, that pretty much confirms what I thought. Cheapest cable of
    the proper gauge and some decent connectors for my next system.

    Thanks
    Mike
  7. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    On 30 Oct 2004 15:04:51 GMT, B&D <bromo@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

    >On 10/29/04 11:54 PM, in article clv3ai0ie@news2.newsguy.com, "John C."
    ><john_c@pcperspective.com> wrote:
    >
    >> On 29 Oct 2004 23:06:49 GMT, Michael Dombrowski
    >> <legodudenein@hammycorp.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hello All,
    >>> Is there any difference between (same gauge) speaker cable and lamp
    >>> cord? I cannot see any reason why there would be, especially if bannana
    >>> plugs are soldered on to both ends. If there are differences, why? I
    >>> can't for the life of me think why speaker cable would be better than
    >>> standard wire.
    >>>
    >>> Mike
    >> Same stuff, just different price. Lamp cord is even marked for
    >> polarity, usually by either a ribbed or hex-shaped insulation over one
    >> of the conductors.
    >
    >There *are* some fancier speaker cables that are a good deal more
    >complex/engineered than lamp cord. Whether it is worth the extra money
    >charged for that or dedicated speaker cables depends upon system and taste.

    I beg to differ. Whether it is worth the extra money depends on
    whether it *sounds* any better - or even different. As of this date,
    not one single person has been able to demonstrate an ability to hear
    *any* difference between basic 'zipcord' and the most 'advanced' and
    'engineered' speaker cables.

    Indeed, even the legendary John Dunlavy, who manufacures one of the
    most technically perfect speaker cables available, states quite
    unequivocally that in almost all systems, there will be no *audible*
    difference between his cable and zipcord.

  8. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    On 10/30/04 11:04 AM, in article cm0ah70egt@news3.newsguy.com, "Stewart
    Pinkerton" <patent3@dircon.co.uk> wrote:

    > There has been for about five or six years now, a pool of around
    > $5,000 for anyone who can tell the difference between basic zipcord
    > (lamp cord, if you will) and the most exotic 'audiophile' speaker
    > cable (which can run up to more than $1,000 a *foot*!), under
    > level-matched double blind conditions. i.e. when they don't actually
    > *know* what's connected. In all that time, and despite many claims of
    > 'obvious', 'night and day', and 'pretty amazing' differences, not one
    > single person has even *attempted* to claim this money.
    >
    > That should indicate to you that 'wire is wire', certainly no one has
    > been able to demonstrate an ability to *hear* any differences,
    > whatever they may *claim* on this or any other newsgroup. I find it
    > fascinating that the more vocal claimants tend to appear in places
    > such as Audio Asylum (a well-named group if ever there was one!),
    > where discussion of blind testing is effectively banned by the
    > moderators/censors. A more cynical person might think that they don't
    > *want* to know the truth...................

    The existence of a pool does not *prove* anything except the existence of
    the challenge. While you may be building a lot of confidence in the
    supposition that it doesn't make a difference, and you are probably right,
    drawing the conclusions you do is not scientifically tight. The problem is
    you are trying to prove a negative - so you are stuck building confidence, I
    know.

    Still, if one were to offer a prize of any arbitrary amount - you cannot say
    that lack of somone claiming the prize is any indication of anything as
    broad as you are saying.

    Again, there is no argument from me that the DBT will show no differences,
    just be careful of your conclusions!
  9. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    On 10/30/04 3:50 PM, in article cm0rb30293v@news4.newsguy.com, "Stewart
    Pinkerton" <patent3@dircon.co.uk> wrote:

    >> There *are* some fancier speaker cables that are a good deal more
    >> complex/engineered than lamp cord. Whether it is worth the extra money
    >> charged for that or dedicated speaker cables depends upon system and taste.
    >
    > I beg to differ. Whether it is worth the extra money depends on
    > whether it *sounds* any better - or even different. As of this date,
    > not one single person has been able to demonstrate an ability to hear
    > *any* difference between basic 'zipcord' and the most 'advanced' and
    > 'engineered' speaker cables.

    If you were to read my words "it depends upon the system and taste" - I
    deliberately put those in the post so that it would be taking NO stand upon
    sonic qualities of any of that stuff at all. Hence I used the the term
    "system and taste" - who knows what one's system requirements are when
    coupled with taste? I never claimed audible differences or lack thereof.
  10. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

    > On 30 Oct 2004 15:04:51 GMT, B&D <bromo@ix.netcom.com> wrote:
    >
    > >On 10/29/04 11:54 PM, in article clv3ai0ie@news2.newsguy.com, "John C."
    > ><john_c@pcperspective.com> wrote:

    > >> Same stuff, just different price. Lamp cord is even marked for
    > >> polarity, usually by either a ribbed or hex-shaped insulation over one
    > >> of the conductors.
    > >
    > >There *are* some fancier speaker cables that are a good deal more
    > >complex/engineered than lamp cord. Whether it is worth the extra money
    > >charged for that or dedicated speaker cables depends upon system and taste.
    >
    > I beg to differ. Whether it is worth the extra money depends on
    > whether it *sounds* any better - or even different. As of this date,
    > not one single person has been able to demonstrate an ability to hear
    > *any* difference between basic 'zipcord' and the most 'advanced' and
    > 'engineered' speaker cables.
    >
    > Indeed, even the legendary John Dunlavy, who manufacures one of the
    > most technically perfect speaker cables available, states quite
    > unequivocally that in almost all systems, there will be no *audible*
    > difference between his cable and zipcord.

    Many years ago - decades in fact, respected UK pro-audio magazine Studio Sound
    conducted some tests on various speaker cables.

    The tests included 'scientific' tests like pulse waveforms, monitored at the
    load. There were discernable differences, both audible and on the scope, but
    mainly on account of *wire gauge*.

    One of the *best* results was standard house wiring cable of 2.5mm^2 cross
    sectional area ! God knows what that is in funny AWG.

    Graham
  11. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    On 30 Oct 2004 19:51:53 GMT, B&D <bromo@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

    >On 10/30/04 11:04 AM, in article cm0ah70egt@news3.newsguy.com, "Stewart
    >Pinkerton" <patent3@dircon.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    >> There has been for about five or six years now, a pool of around
    >> $5,000 for anyone who can tell the difference between basic zipcord
    >> (lamp cord, if you will) and the most exotic 'audiophile' speaker
    >> cable (which can run up to more than $1,000 a *foot*!), under
    >> level-matched double blind conditions. i.e. when they don't actually
    >> *know* what's connected. In all that time, and despite many claims of
    >> 'obvious', 'night and day', and 'pretty amazing' differences, not one
    >> single person has even *attempted* to claim this money.
    >>
    >> That should indicate to you that 'wire is wire', certainly no one has
    >> been able to demonstrate an ability to *hear* any differences,
    >> whatever they may *claim* on this or any other newsgroup. I find it
    >> fascinating that the more vocal claimants tend to appear in places
    >> such as Audio Asylum (a well-named group if ever there was one!),
    >> where discussion of blind testing is effectively banned by the
    >> moderators/censors. A more cynical person might think that they don't
    >> *want* to know the truth...................
    >
    >The existence of a pool does not *prove* anything except the existence of
    >the challenge. While you may be building a lot of confidence in the
    >supposition that it doesn't make a difference, and you are probably right,
    >drawing the conclusions you do is not scientifically tight. The problem is
    >you are trying to prove a negative - so you are stuck building confidence, I
    >know.

    Quite so. It is true that I cannot actually *prove* that some part of
    the moon is *not* made of green cheese. OTOH, what odds would you
    give? :-)

    >Still, if one were to offer a prize of any arbitrary amount - you cannot say
    >that lack of somone claiming the prize is any indication of anything as
    >broad as you are saying.
    >
    >Again, there is no argument from me that the DBT will show no differences,
    >just be careful of your conclusions!

    I draw no *definite* conclusion from that particular quarter, I simply
    state the *fact* that no one has been able to demonstrate an ability
    to *hear* any differences. OTOH, I can certainly point to the easily
    *measurable* differences between 'zipcord' and an equivalent gauge of
    'audiophile' wire, and conclude from those differences that no
    *audible* difference is possible, given known limits of human hearing.

    It therefore remains for those who make extraordinary claims for
    Kimber 'Black Pearl' et al, to *prove* their claims. No such proof has
    been forthcoming, or even an *attempt* at such proof, despite the
    existence for several years of a substantial reward. Why would you
    suppose that is?

  12. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    On 10/30/04 6:47 PM, in article cm15mq01lq5@news4.newsguy.com, "Stewart
    Pinkerton" <patent3@dircon.co.uk> wrote:

    > It therefore remains for those who make extraordinary claims for
    > Kimber 'Black Pearl' et al, to *prove* their claims. No such proof has
    > been forthcoming, or even an *attempt* at such proof, despite the
    > existence for several years of a substantial reward. Why would you
    > suppose that is?

    You and I both probably think the megabuck cable may not make much of an
    audible difference, if any -- however, it could be possible that they simply
    have good sales therefore have nothing to gain by such a challenge is they
    have somehow found "the elixir" or something.

    Who knows! :-)
  13. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    On 29 Oct 2004 23:06:49 GMT, in article <cluie902n9i@news1.newsguy.com>, Michael
    Dombrowski stated:

    >Hello All,
    >Is there any difference between (same gauge) speaker cable and lamp
    >cord? I cannot see any reason why there would be, especially if bannana
    >plugs are soldered on to both ends. If there are differences, why? I
    >can't for the life of me think why speaker cable would be better than
    >standard wire.
    >
    >Mike

    It's not, but lamp cord is really ugly, and some speaker cable looks really
    cool!

    If it makes u feel better and it appeals to your sense of aesthetics, by all
    means buy some expensive cable. There is not likely to be any audible
    difference.

    Note the review of AQ's DBS cable system in the current issue.... no audible
    difference to the other cables.

    For most people, the greatest gain is to be made by room treatment and or room
    correction. But that's a pain in the butt, not a quick fix, so few go there, I
    suspect.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:06:49 +0000, Michael Dombrowski wrote:

    > Hello All,
    > Is there any difference between (same gauge) speaker cable and lamp
    > cord? I cannot see any reason why there would be, especially if bannana
    > plugs are soldered on to both ends. If there are differences, why? I
    > can't for the life of me think why speaker cable would be better than
    > standard wire.
    >
    > Mike

    Mike..

    If one believes there is no difference in audio cable and that lamp
    cord is sufficient...then, so be it. However, should one happen to go
    into a room where the audio setup is rather foolishly setup with some
    "audio cable"...and, the setup is "audio-wise" superior to anything
    heard prior to that...well, we all know it is not the cable..is it?
    Could it be the amplifier...but, we hear they all are the same...maybe
    just the source and speakers and the ambiance of the room..maybe? But,
    others with excellent sounding systems think not!!

    One will have to make these decisions on his own...mind you,
    there are newsgroups that are crowded with those that will
    tell you what you hear and what you don't. Keep in mind that
    it is redundantly stated enough..."there is no difference"..some
    types will come to believe this. So be it! Looking for decision making
    thoughts on these groups is not the answer.....one must cross
    this "decision" bridge on his own...krewl world!! Looking for "like
    minds" or espousing "agendas" on these groups won't cut it!

    Much fodder will be created for this Newsgroup with this much
    repeated question..nothing will be resolved!

    Leonard...
  15. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    -SNIP-

    > One of the *best* results was standard house wiring cable of 2.5mm^2 cross
    > sectional area ! God knows what that is in funny AWG.
    >

    > Graham

    Somewhere between 14 and 12 gauge depending on strand count.
    -Guy
  16. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    On 30 Oct 2004 22:47:18 GMT, Pooh Bear
    <rabbitsfriendsandrelations@hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
    >
    >> On 30 Oct 2004 15:04:51 GMT, B&D <bromo@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

    >> >There *are* some fancier speaker cables that are a good deal more
    >> >complex/engineered than lamp cord. Whether it is worth the extra money
    >> >charged for that or dedicated speaker cables depends upon system and taste.
    >>
    >> I beg to differ. Whether it is worth the extra money depends on
    >> whether it *sounds* any better - or even different. As of this date,
    >> not one single person has been able to demonstrate an ability to hear
    >> *any* difference between basic 'zipcord' and the most 'advanced' and
    >> 'engineered' speaker cables.
    >>
    >> Indeed, even the legendary John Dunlavy, who manufacures one of the
    >> most technically perfect speaker cables available, states quite
    >> unequivocally that in almost all systems, there will be no *audible*
    >> difference between his cable and zipcord.
    >
    >Many years ago - decades in fact, respected UK pro-audio magazine Studio Sound
    >conducted some tests on various speaker cables.
    >
    >The tests included 'scientific' tests like pulse waveforms, monitored at the
    >load. There were discernable differences, both audible and on the scope, but
    >mainly on account of *wire gauge*.
    >
    >One of the *best* results was standard house wiring cable of 2.5mm^2 cross
    >sectional area ! God knows what that is in funny AWG.

    It's a fraction more than 10AWG, so pretty heavy-duty stuff. One would
    reasonably expect that it would do very well.

  17. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    HOO BOY!!!
    Talk about opening a can of worms
    Some "audiophiles" swear there is a difference between say, a silver cable
    and a plain old lamp cord
    Others think that they, to be polite, are imagining things
    My advice is to get speaker wire that has oxygen free copper, which will cut
    down on corrosion, and get at least 16 guage. A hundred foot roll at wall
    mart is under 20 bucks, you arent giving up much on price and are getting
    good quality
    Then go to radio shack and get some gold plated connectors to connect it to
    your stuff, makes for a clean
    hookup
    "Michael Dombrowski" <legodudenein@hammycorp.com> wrote in message
    > Hello All,
    > Is there any difference between (same gauge) speaker cable and lamp
    > cord? I cannot see any reason why there would be, especially if bannana
    > plugs are soldered on to both ends. If there are differences, why? I
    > can't for the life of me think why speaker cable would be better than
    > standard wire.
    >
    > Mike
  18. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    Michael Dombrowski wrote:

    > Is there any difference between (same gauge) speaker cable and lamp
    > cord?

    No. But the more important question is: What gauge wire should I use?

    That depends largely on the length of your speaker cables. For a given
    gauge, the total resistance of the wire is directly proportional to
    its length. For lengths up to 10 or 15 feet, 14 gauge (AWG) should be
    fine.

    Art Harris
  19. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    Well here is an excample
    http://www.taralabs.com/catalog/catalog_product.asp?ID=F600953181024E3C97E9BEBB2C2F4B88

    A pair of these cables cost here 15,000,00 $
    Absurd or not?

    Ben
  20. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    lcw999 wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 23:06:49 +0000, Michael Dombrowski wrote:
    >
    >> Hello All,
    >> Is there any difference between (same gauge) speaker cable and lamp
    >> cord? I cannot see any reason why there would be, especially if bannana
    >> plugs are soldered on to both ends. If there are differences, why? I
    >> can't for the life of me think why speaker cable would be better than
    >> standard wire.
    >>
    >> Mike

    > Mike..
    >
    > If one believes there is no difference in audio cable and that lamp
    > cord is sufficient...then, so be it. However, should one happen to go
    > into a room where the audio setup is rather foolishly setup with some
    > "audio cable"...and, the setup is "audio-wise" superior to anything
    > heard prior to that...well, we all know it is not the cable..is it?
    > Could it be the amplifier...but, we hear they all are the same...maybe
    > just the source and speakers and the ambiance of the room..maybe? But,
    > others with excellent sounding systems think not!!

    How about starting with the obvious? Maybe it's the speakers? Maybe it's
    the acoustical properties of the room? Maybe the listener has a
    preconception that the new system should sound different, if not better?
    Why do you overlook the likely reasons?

    skip

    > Much fodder will be created for this Newsgroup with this much
    > repeated question..nothing will be resolved!

    Nothing will be resolved if there is no attempt to resolve it...

    > Leonard...
  21. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    On 7 Nov 2004 16:34:57 GMT, "Pena" <eitoimi@yahoo.com> wrote:

    >Well here is an excample
    >http://www.taralabs.com/catalog/catalog_product.asp?ID=F600953181024E3C97E9BEBB2C2F4B88
    >
    >A pair of these cables cost here 15,000,00 $
    >Absurd or not?

    Absurd.

  22. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    "goFab.com" tplqqq@aol.com wrote:

    >On 29 Oct 2004 23:06:49 GMT, in article <cluie902n9i@news1.newsguy.com>,
    >Michael
    >Dombrowski stated:
    >>
    >>Hello All,
    >>Is there any difference between (same gauge) speaker cable and lamp
    >>cord? I cannot see any reason why there would be, especially if bannana
    >>plugs are soldered on to both ends. If there are differences, why? I
    >>can't for the life of me think why speaker cable would be better than
    >>standard wire.
    >>
    >>Mike
    >
    >It's not, but lamp cord is really ugly, and some speaker cable looks really
    >cool!
    >
    >If it makes u feel better and it appeals to your sense of aesthetics, by all
    >means buy some expensive cable. There is not likely to be any audible
    >difference.

    In my opinion most zip cord is much superior to most high-end wire in
    aesthetics because it has an easily identifiable polarity construction, it
    usually has enough strands to be quite flexible, it has a small jacket that is
    easier to make less visually apparent and you can buy some real "art", such as
    the kind you hang on the wall or some that is called recorded or live music,
    with the difference in price.

    For example I have used clear jacket 14 gauge zip cord with a copper and a
    silver interlaced copper conductors, a nice bendable feel along with Pamona
    dual banana plugs which sounded exactly like a set of Tara Labs RSC 8-foot
    cables that had a MSRP of $990.

    The difference in cost covers my current year price for 2 tickets (Row H seats
    11, 13 ) of a 7 concert series of Saturday evening performances of the DSO at
    Orchestra Hall in Detroit with $279 left over for dinner and/or hotel.

    IMO the cost difference completely covers the increase in art available to me
    by using zip cord (in this case I bought a hundred feet for $18.)

    It is true that I'm mixing prices from the mid-90s when I bought the zip cord
    and tested the high-end cable (which was loaned to me) and the price of my
    current Concert series but I'm thinking the concept is clearly apparent.

    BTW I think the zip cord is aesthetically equal, and often superior, to any
    high-end cable I've ever used or seen.
  23. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    Stewart Pinkerton patent3@dircon.co.uk wrote:

    >On 7 Nov 2004 16:34:57 GMT, "Pena" <eitoimi@yahoo.com> wrote:
    >
    >>Well here is an excample
    >
    >>http://www.taralabs.com/catalog/catalog_product.asp?ID=F600953181024E3C9
    7E9BEBB2C2F4B88

    >>A pair of these cables cost here 15,000,00 $
    >>Absurd or not?
    >
    >Absurd.
    >--
    >
    >Stewart Pinkerton | Music is Art - Audio is Engineering

    Absurdly absurd. Beyond the horizon.
  24. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    Stewart said:

    > I beg to differ. Whether it is worth the extra money depends on
    > whether it *sounds* any better - or even different. As of this date,
    > not one single person has been able to demonstrate an ability to hear
    > *any* difference between basic 'zipcord' and the most 'advanced' and
    > 'engineered' speaker cables.
    >
    > Indeed, even the legendary John Dunlavy, who manufacures one of the
    > most technically perfect speaker cables available, states quite
    > unequivocally that in almost all systems, there will be no *audible*
    > difference between his cable and zipcord.

    First of all I want to make it clear that I am in substantial
    agreement with you on this issue. But to say that there are no audible
    differences among cables might be too absolute of a position based on
    what you have previously stated. On September 1, 2004 we had the
    following exchange:

    I said,

    >There are dozens and dozens of different speaker cables out there.
    >Some of them "look" quite complicated or "exotic" with transformer
    >like boxes, etc.
    >Are some of them *designed* to change the sound when compared to a
    >simple cable, whereas you may be able to pick one out in a dbt (I
    >realize this topic, per say, is off limits)?

    You said:

    "Some of them certainly roll off the treble. It's interesting that
    you'll pay $50,000 or more for a pair of ultra high end speakers with
    Beryllium or ceramic tweeters which extend the response past 30kHz,
    and then your friendly dealer will charge you several thousands more
    to have that treble rolled off by MIT, Transparent, Tara etc. :-)"

    You also said:

    "p.s. If you *like* the droopy sound of those 'exotic' cables with
    little boxes attached, Naim NACA 5 will give you identical sound for a
    lot less money and no connecting hassle! Basic engineering, as opposed
    to snake-oil....................."

    As far as I'm concerned this does not compromise your position. It
    only shows that there are exceptions, even if those exceptions may be
    misguided. But there are some "high-end" manufacturers that purposely
    change or "voice" their products. I have spoken to some that happily
    will admit to doing that.

    Also in referencing John Dunleavy you quote or paraphrase him as
    having said "states quite> unequivocally that in almost all systems,
    there will be no *audible* > difference between his cable and
    zipcord". The word "almost" can leave a lot of wiggle room, especially
    among audiophiles that pride themselves in building systems that are
    the "exception".

    Robert C. Lang

    --
  25. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    Stewart Pinkerton <patent3@dircon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<cm15mq01lq5@news4.newsguy.com>...

    > I draw no *definite* conclusion from that particular quarter, I simply
    > state the *fact* that no one has been able to demonstrate an ability
    > to *hear* any differences.

    Actually, according to your previous post it is most definitely NOT A
    FACT that "no one has been able to demonstrate an ability to *hear*
    any differences". Rather, according to you, "not one single person has
    even *attempted* to claim this money." Ergo, the only FACT one can
    glean from your data is that no one has yet demonstrated an ability to
    hear any differences. It's a subtle distinction, but one worth
    pointing out, especially if one is going to go on about "Facts".
  26. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    On 9 Nov 2004 00:55:07 GMT, mr_furious@mail.com (Buster Mudd) wrote:

    >Stewart Pinkerton <patent3@dircon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<cm15mq01lq5@news4.newsguy.com>...
    >
    >> I draw no *definite* conclusion from that particular quarter, I simply
    >> state the *fact* that no one has been able to demonstrate an ability
    >> to *hear* any differences.
    >
    >Actually, according to your previous post it is most definitely NOT A
    >FACT that "no one has been able to demonstrate an ability to *hear*
    >any differences".

    Yes, it is.

    > Rather, according to you, "not one single person has
    >even *attempted* to claim this money." Ergo, the only FACT one can
    >glean from your data is that no one has yet demonstrated an ability to
    >hear any differences. It's a subtle distinction, but one worth
    >pointing out, especially if one is going to go on about "Facts".

    Firstly, my statement that no one *has been* able to demonstrate an
    ability to hear any differences is couched in the past tense, and
    therefore is exactly the same as your supposed modification that no
    one has *yet* demonstrated such an ability. I do not claim to be able
    to predict the future, otherwise I'd be much richer! :-)

    Despite the lack of challengers for the money pot, and also despite
    many 'night and day' *claims* by several posters, there have indeed
    been a number of actual tests, including one well-reported in the
    audio newsgroups, involving Greg Singh aka Trotsky. In no case has
    anyone demonstrated an ability to hear 'cable sound'. Hence, my quoted
    fact stands, and is not affected by a lack of trousers to accompany
    mouths.

  27. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    On 9 Nov 2004 00:49:02 GMT, langvid@pacbell.net (Robert C. Lang)
    wrote:

    >Stewart Pinkerton <patent3@dircon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<cm0rb30293v@news4.newsguy.com>...
    >> On 30 Oct 2004 15:04:51 GMT, B&D <bromo@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

    >> >There *are* some fancier speaker cables that are a good deal more
    >> >complex/engineered than lamp cord. Whether it is worth the extra money
    >> >charged for that or dedicated speaker cables depends upon system and taste.
    >
    >Stewart said:
    >>
    >> I beg to differ. Whether it is worth the extra money depends on
    >> whether it *sounds* any better - or even different. As of this date,
    >> not one single person has been able to demonstrate an ability to hear
    >> *any* difference between basic 'zipcord' and the most 'advanced' and
    >> 'engineered' speaker cables.
    >>
    >> Indeed, even the legendary John Dunlavy, who manufacures one of the
    >> most technically perfect speaker cables available, states quite
    >> unequivocally that in almost all systems, there will be no *audible*
    >> difference between his cable and zipcord.
    >

    >First of all I want to make it clear that I am in substantial
    >agreement with you on this issue. But to say that there are no audible
    >differences among cables might be too absolute of a position based on
    >what you have previously stated.

    Not if you include the usual precondition of level matching at 20kHz,
    it isn't!

    >On September 1, 2004 we had the
    >following exchange:
    >
    >I said,
    >
    >>There are dozens and dozens of different speaker cables out there.
    >>Some of them "look" quite complicated or "exotic" with transformer
    >>like boxes, etc.
    >>Are some of them *designed* to change the sound when compared to a
    >>simple cable, whereas you may be able to pick one out in a dbt (I
    >>realize this topic, per say, is off limits)?
    >
    >You said:
    >
    >"Some of them certainly roll off the treble. It's interesting that
    >you'll pay $50,000 or more for a pair of ultra high end speakers with
    >Beryllium or ceramic tweeters which extend the response past 30kHz,
    >and then your friendly dealer will charge you several thousands more
    >to have that treble rolled off by MIT, Transparent, Tara etc. :-)"

    Indeed so, and such cables will produce an easily *measurable*
    difference which would immediately exclude them from any listening
    comparison. There are *much* cheaper ways of reducing your treble by 1
    or 2 dB at 20kHz, than by spending $10,000 on speaker cables! :-)

    >You also said:
    >
    >"p.s. If you *like* the droopy sound of those 'exotic' cables with
    >little boxes attached, Naim NACA 5 will give you identical sound for a
    >lot less money and no connecting hassle! Basic engineering, as opposed
    >to snake-oil....................."
    >
    >As far as I'm concerned this does not compromise your position. It
    >only shows that there are exceptions, even if those exceptions may be
    >misguided. But there are some "high-end" manufacturers that purposely
    >change or "voice" their products. I have spoken to some that happily
    >will admit to doing that.

    Nol contendere, and such cables have always been excluded from
    listening comparisons, although I'd be happy to match their FR with a
    few cents worth of components to achieve a level-match, if anyone
    thinks this is somehow cheating.

    >Also in referencing John Dunleavy you quote or paraphrase him as
    >having said "states quite> unequivocally that in almost all systems,
    >there will be no *audible* > difference between his cable and
    >zipcord". The word "almost" can leave a lot of wiggle room, especially
    >among audiophiles that pride themselves in building systems that are
    >the "exception".

    It's simply not a problem, as it's possible to match the performance
    of *any* 'exotic' cable in *any* system, for just a few dollars.
    Whatever ludicrously incompetent system those 'exceptional'
    audiophiles produce, I'll match *any* of their cabling at virtually no
    cost. The only reason for the existence of the above caveats is that
    not *all* cables will instantly produce a good level-match in *all*
    systems - but you can easily produce a low-cost alternative that
    *will* provide a good match.

  28. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    Stewart Pinkerton <patent3@dircon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<cmrpjb01bhb@news2.newsguy.com>...

    > >You also said:
    > >
    > >"p.s. If you *like* the droopy sound of those 'exotic' cables with
    > >little boxes attached, Naim NACA 5 will give you identical sound for a
    > >lot less money and no connecting hassle! Basic engineering, as opposed
    > >to snake-oil....................."
    > >
    > >As far as I'm concerned this does not compromise your position. It
    > >only shows that there are exceptions, even if those exceptions may be
    > >misguided. But there are some "high-end" manufacturers that purposely
    > >change or "voice" their products. I have spoken to some that happily
    > >will admit to doing that.
    >
    > Nol contendere, and such cables have always been excluded from
    > listening comparisons, although I'd be happy to match their FR with a
    > few cents worth of components to achieve a level-match, if anyone
    > thinks this is somehow cheating.

    This is good information. Specifically, what brand or model cables
    would be excluded from listening comparisons? But also would listening
    comparisons (blind) still be valuable in a case where there are subtle
    differences if only to determine which cable the listener *really*
    likes the best?

    Robert C. Lang
  29. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

    > On 29 Oct 2004 23:06:49 GMT, Michael Dombrowski
    > <legodudenein@hammycorp.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Hello All,
    >>Is there any difference between (same gauge) speaker cable and lamp
    >>cord? I cannot see any reason why there would be, especially if bannana
    >>plugs are soldered on to both ends. If there are differences, why? I
    >>can't for the life of me think why speaker cable would be better than
    >>standard wire.
    >

    > There has been for about five or six years now, a pool of around
    > $5,000 for anyone who can tell the difference between basic zipcord
    > (lamp cord, if you will) and the most exotic 'audiophile' speaker
    > cable (which can run up to more than $1,000 a *foot*!), under
    > level-matched double blind conditions. i.e. when they don't actually
    > *know* what's connected. In all that time, and despite many claims of
    > 'obvious', 'night and day', and 'pretty amazing' differences, not one
    > single person has even *attempted* to claim this money.
    >
    > That should indicate to you that 'wire is wire', certainly no one has
    > been able to demonstrate an ability to *hear* any differences,
    > whatever they may *claim* on this or any other newsgroup. I find it
    > fascinating that the more vocal claimants tend to appear in places
    > such as Audio Asylum (a well-named group if ever there was one!),
    > where discussion of blind testing is effectively banned by the
    > moderators/censors. A more cynical person might think that they don't
    > *want* to know the truth...................

    In addition to Audio Asylum, I have read a number of reviews of speaker
    cables in Stereophile Review. Various adjectives describing the
    (clearly audible) qualities of such cables, and, in some cases, their
    "break-in" characteristics, are included in many such reviews. Since I
    would assume that John Atkinson is at least partially responsible for
    the editorial policies at Stereophile, and since he apparently follows
    these discussions, having posted a comment on the ng on 10/29, one might
    assume that he is at least aware of this discussion. So, I'm curious as
    to why SR isn't involved in this exchange, which in some respects
    reflects on the intellectual honesty of SR's editorial policies.

    Any explanations will be appreciated. - Maybe I'm just confused about
    the whole issue.

    Jim
  30. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    langvid@pacbell.net (Robert C. Lang) wrote in message news:<cmuc7s01asv@news2.newsguy.com>...
    > Stewart Pinkerton <patent3@dircon.co.uk> wrote in message news:<cmrpjb01bhb@news2.newsguy.com>...
    >
    > > >You also said:
    > > >
    > > >"p.s. If you *like* the droopy sound of those 'exotic' cables with
    > > >little boxes attached, Naim NACA 5 will give you identical sound for a
    > > >lot less money and no connecting hassle! Basic engineering, as opposed
    > > >to snake-oil....................."
    > > >
    > > >As far as I'm concerned this does not compromise your position. It
    > > >only shows that there are exceptions, even if those exceptions may be
    > > >misguided. But there are some "high-end" manufacturers that purposely
    > > >change or "voice" their products. I have spoken to some that happily
    > > >will admit to doing that.

    Almost all of them *claim* to do that, don't they? Many don't actually
    do it, however; they're just selling dressed-up commodity cable at a
    huge markup, and relying on marketing hype and psychoacoustic illusion
    to make their products seem different.

    > > Nol contendere, and such cables have always been excluded from
    > > listening comparisons, although I'd be happy to match their FR with a
    > > few cents worth of components to achieve a level-match, if anyone
    > > thinks this is somehow cheating.
    >
    > This is good information. Specifically, what brand or model cables
    > would be excluded from listening comparisons?

    Well, none, if you'll allow Stewart to tinker with his generic cables
    (which means, I suspect, adding a resistor or two along the way, or
    some such thing). Otherwise, anything with a box on it at least has
    the potential to sound different. I'd guess you could match the sound
    of almost anything without a box simply by choosing a similar gauge
    cable for comparison. You might have to go a gauge lower if the
    high-end cable in question is silver rather than copper.

    > But also would listening
    > comparisons (blind) still be valuable in a case where there are subtle
    > differences if only to determine which cable the listener *really*
    > likes the best?

    Assuming you've chosen something that's really designed to sound
    different, you're free to judge it any way you want. The virtue of a
    blind comparison in that case would be that you wouldn't be tempted to
    favor the expensive one (or the cheaper one, or the cooler looking
    one, or...).

    bob
  31. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    1. The name of the publication is Stereophile, not Stereophile
    Review.

    2. Each review is the opinion of the writer of the review, not of the
    editor. John Atkinson sets editorial policy but he does not write all
    the reviews.

    Kal

    policy On 12 Nov 2004 00:17:52 GMT, Jim Cate <jimcate@pdq.net> wrote:

    >Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
    >
    >> On 29 Oct 2004 23:06:49 GMT, Michael Dombrowski
    >> <legodudenein@hammycorp.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Hello All,
    >>>Is there any difference between (same gauge) speaker cable and lamp
    >>>cord? I cannot see any reason why there would be, especially if bannana
    >>>plugs are soldered on to both ends. If there are differences, why? I
    >>>can't for the life of me think why speaker cable would be better than
    >>>standard wire.
    >>

    >> There has been for about five or six years now, a pool of around
    >> $5,000 for anyone who can tell the difference between basic zipcord
    >> (lamp cord, if you will) and the most exotic 'audiophile' speaker
    >> cable (which can run up to more than $1,000 a *foot*!), under
    >> level-matched double blind conditions. i.e. when they don't actually
    >> *know* what's connected. In all that time, and despite many claims of
    >> 'obvious', 'night and day', and 'pretty amazing' differences, not one
    >> single person has even *attempted* to claim this money.
    >>
    >> That should indicate to you that 'wire is wire', certainly no one has
    >> been able to demonstrate an ability to *hear* any differences,
    >> whatever they may *claim* on this or any other newsgroup. I find it
    >> fascinating that the more vocal claimants tend to appear in places
    >> such as Audio Asylum (a well-named group if ever there was one!),
    >> where discussion of blind testing is effectively banned by the
    >> moderators/censors. A more cynical person might think that they don't
    >> *want* to know the truth...................
    >
    >In addition to Audio Asylum, I have read a number of reviews of speaker
    >cables in Stereophile Review. Various adjectives describing the
    >(clearly audible) qualities of such cables, and, in some cases, their
    >"break-in" characteristics, are included in many such reviews. Since I
    >would assume that John Atkinson is at least partially responsible for
    >the editorial policies at Stereophile, and since he apparently follows
    >these discussions, having posted a comment on the ng on 10/29, one might
    >assume that he is at least aware of this discussion. So, I'm curious as
    >to why SR isn't involved in this exchange, which in some respects
    >reflects on the intellectual honesty of SR's editorial policies.
    >
    >Any explanations will be appreciated. - Maybe I'm just confused about
    >the whole issue.
    >
    >Jim
  32. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    On 11/11/04 7:17 PM, in article cn0vfg0di0@news3.newsguy.com, "Jim Cate"
    <jimcate@pdq.net> wrote:

    > So, I'm curious as
    > to why SR isn't involved in this exchange, which in some respects
    > reflects on the intellectual honesty of SR's editorial policies.

    I might venture a guess - this is such a devisive topic amongst audiophiles
    and others, that there is nothing that couple possibly be gained by his
    participation.

    TAS also reviewed cables as well last year in 2 issues, including using Home
    Depot power cord as a cable.
  33. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    "Jim Cate" <jimcate@pdq.net> wrote in message

    > Any explanations will be appreciated. - Maybe I'm just confused about the
    > whole issue.

    People (1) get to play with these toys free of charge, (2) pay their bills
    (wholly or in part) by their writings, and (3) attend conventions and
    meetings to party around at reader's expense. Not bad at all if you can
    swing it and manage a straight face.
  34. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    Kalman Rubinson kr4@nyu.edu wrote:

    1. The name of the publication is Stereophile, not Stereophile
    >Review.
    >
    >2. Each review is the opinion of the writer of the review, not of the
    >editor. John Atkinson sets editorial policy but he does not write all
    >the reviews.
    >
    >Kal
    >
    >policy On 12 Nov 2004 00:17:52 GMT, Jim Cate <jimcate@pdq.net> wrote:
    >
    >>Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

    >>> There has been for about five or six years now, a pool of around
    >>> $5,000 for anyone who can tell the difference between basic zipcord
    >>> (lamp cord, if you will) and the most exotic 'audiophile' speaker
    >>> cable (which can run up to more than $1,000 a *foot*!), under
    >>> level-matched double blind conditions. i.e. when they don't actually
    >>> *know* what's connected. In all that time, and despite many claims of
    >>> 'obvious', 'night and day', and 'pretty amazing' differences, not one
    >>> single person has even *attempted* to claim this money.
    >>>
    >>> That should indicate to you that 'wire is wire', certainly no one has
    >>> been able to demonstrate an ability to *hear* any differences,
    >>> whatever they may *claim* on this or any other newsgroup. I find it
    >>> fascinating that the more vocal claimants tend to appear in places
    >>> such as Audio Asylum (a well-named group if ever there was one!),
    >>> where discussion of blind testing is effectively banned by the
    >>> moderators/censors. A more cynical person might think that they don't
    >>> *want* to know the truth...................
    >>
    >>In addition to Audio Asylum, I have read a number of reviews of speaker
    >>cables in Stereophile Review. Various adjectives describing the
    >>(clearly audible) qualities of such cables, and, in some cases, their
    >>"break-in" characteristics, are included in many such reviews. Since I
    >>would assume that John Atkinson is at least partially responsible for
    >>the editorial policies at Stereophile, and since he apparently follows
    >>these discussions, having posted a comment on the ng on 10/29, one might
    >>assume that he is at least aware of this discussion. So, I'm curious as
    >>to why SR isn't involved in this exchange, which in some respects
    >>reflects on the intellectual honesty of SR's editorial policies.
    >>
    >>Any explanations will be appreciated. - Maybe I'm just confused about
    >>the whole issue.
    >>
    >>Jim

    In my opinion John Atkinson is fully aware of all the biased controlled
    listening tests on wire sound (no one has ever been able to demonstrate an
    ability to "hear" wire when even moderate bias controls are implemented) and he
    simply chooses to ignore it.

    As far as his "policy" goes he seems to accept anything his writers 'say' even
    when it it likely a product of personal bias.

    As far as I can see; nearly every product that gets 'reviewed' in the magazine
    appears on the Recommended Products List. Mr Atkinson has argued that they
    carefullyselect products that are likely to sound good.

    I'd buy that but where exactly do they screen products? At product shows where
    the demo rooms are complained about in the Show coverage? In their
    homes.....before being selected for review?

    Back to the original question. Exactly why does cabling (interconnects and
    speaker wire) appear on the RCL when no individual or group of subjects has
    EVER demonstrated an ability to discriminate between junk-box interconnects and
    specialty speaker cables in bias-controlled listening tests?

    Just asking!
  35. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    On 11/12/04 2:04 PM, in article cn31f102va3@news3.newsguy.com, "Norman M.
    Schwartz" <nmsz@optonline.net> wrote:

    > "Jim Cate" <jimcate@pdq.net> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Any explanations will be appreciated. - Maybe I'm just confused about the
    >> whole issue.
    >>

    > People (1) get to play with these toys free of charge, (2) pay their bills
    > (wholly or in part) by their writings, and (3) attend conventions and
    > meetings to party around at reader's expense. Not bad at all if you can
    > swing it and manage a straight face.

    Hey - they have the subscribers to do it. I wouldn't blast them as they
    offer value to their subscribers otherwise there wouldn't be any
    subscribers.
  36. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    Jim Cate wrote:

    > Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
    >
    >> On 29 Oct 2004 23:06:49 GMT, Michael Dombrowski
    >> <legodudenein@hammycorp.com> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Hello All,
    >>> Is there any difference between (same gauge) speaker cable and lamp
    >>> cord? I cannot see any reason why there would be, especially if
    >>> bannana plugs are soldered on to both ends. If there are differences,
    >>> why? I can't for the life of me think why speaker cable would be
    >>> better than standard wire.
    >>

    >> There has been for about five or six years now, a pool of around
    >> $5,000 for anyone who can tell the difference between basic zipcord
    >> (lamp cord, if you will) and the most exotic 'audiophile' speaker
    >> cable (which can run up to more than $1,000 a *foot*!), under
    >> level-matched double blind conditions. i.e. when they don't actually
    >> *know* what's connected. In all that time, and despite many claims of
    >> 'obvious', 'night and day', and 'pretty amazing' differences, not one
    >> single person has even *attempted* to claim this money.
    >> That should indicate to you that 'wire is wire', certainly no one has
    >> been able to demonstrate an ability to *hear* any differences,
    >> whatever they may *claim* on this or any other newsgroup. I find it
    >> fascinating that the more vocal claimants tend to appear in places
    >> such as Audio Asylum (a well-named group if ever there was one!),
    >> where discussion of blind testing is effectively banned by the
    >> moderators/censors. A more cynical person might think that they don't
    >> *want* to know the truth...................
    >

    > In addition to Audio Asylum, I have read a number of reviews of speaker
    > cables in Stereophile Review. Various adjectives describing the
    > (clearly audible) qualities of such cables, and, in some cases, their
    > "break-in" characteristics, are included in many such reviews. Since I
    > would assume that John Atkinson is at least partially responsible for
    > the editorial policies at Stereophile, and since he apparently follows
    > these discussions, having posted a comment on the ng on 10/29, one might
    > assume that he is at least aware of this discussion. So, I'm curious as
    > to why SR isn't involved in this exchange, which in some respects
    > reflects on the intellectual honesty of SR's editorial policies.

    He has no techincal basis to refute the assertion that wire is wire.
    Now, oxygen-free wire can measure different under immensely bad loads
    and long runs, but going even one gauge higher with common non-ofc wire
    is more than enough to compensate. Even then, it's a fraction of a db
    difference - way too small for our ears to hear.

    My advice is forget about the fancy wires - if your ultra-wires are
    14 gauge, get 12 gauge common wire and laugh at the money you saved.
    It's something like $25 a roll for electrical wire - enough to make
    250ft, or a full HT setup. Add in good connectors and a crimping
    tool and you're at maybe $100($40-$50 of that for the tool).
  37. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    "B&D" <bromo@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > On 11/12/04 2:04 PM, in article cn31f102va3@news3.newsguy.com, "Norman M.
    > Schwartz" <nmsz@optonline.net> wrote:
    >
    >> "Jim Cate" <jimcate@pdq.net> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Any explanations will be appreciated. - Maybe I'm just confused about
    >>> the
    >>> whole issue.
    >>>

    >> People (1) get to play with these toys free of charge, (2) pay their
    >> bills
    >> (wholly or in part) by their writings, and (3) attend conventions and
    >> meetings to party around at reader's expense. Not bad at all if you can
    >> swing it and manage a straight face.
    >
    > Hey - they have the subscribers to do it. I wouldn't blast them as they
    > offer value to their subscribers otherwise there wouldn't be any
    > subscribers.

    Hey - the question *is* whether or not speaker cable is better than lamp
    cord. IF it is not better, they are robbing their subscribers BLIND, not by
    a $14.97/year subscription, but by leading gullible readers to financially
    support dealers and cable manufacturers. I believe the original poster
    (sincerely ??) inquired about the basis for the entire hullabaloo if all
    cable of similar gauge sounded the same, and if so, what is the basis for
    the "whole issue"? Unfortunately the basis for the issue, like far too many
    others, is $$$. Their *value* to subscribers might be entertainment, but
    that entertainment subsides when you come to the realization that you are
    contributing to their life style and wasting valuable serious listening
    hours reading fantasies. And it's most unfortunate should anyone go spend
    their hard earned dollars buying wire or equipment based upon writers and
    editors life styles.
  38. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    On 11/13/04 1:06 PM, in article cn5ied014hh@news2.newsguy.com, "Norman M.
    Schwartz" <nmsz@optonline.net> wrote:

    >>> People (1) get to play with these toys free of charge, (2) pay their
    >>> bills
    >>> (wholly or in part) by their writings, and (3) attend conventions and
    >>> meetings to party around at reader's expense. Not bad at all if you can
    >>> swing it and manage a straight face.
    >>
    >> Hey - they have the subscribers to do it. I wouldn't blast them as they
    >> offer value to their subscribers otherwise there wouldn't be any
    >> subscribers.
    >
    > Hey - the question *is* whether or not speaker cable is better than lamp
    > cord. IF it is not better, they are robbing their subscribers BLIND, not by
    > a $14.97/year subscription, but by leading gullible readers to financially
    > support dealers and cable manufacturers.

    Without getting into a large philosophical argument, since 'phile and TAS
    are both successful magazines - with large-ish readership. There is no
    shame in #1, #2, #3 above, and if you do not agree with their reviews, and
    your experience shows that you feel they are wrong, it does not diminish
    their validity as a magazine that specializes in audio entertainment. Only
    failure as a magazine would do that.

    And if they get *all* of their cable reviews wrong, it is not a cable review
    magazine, either. Last time I checked they had music reviews, source
    component reviews, speaker reviews, preamp, integrated amps, power amp
    reviews, and so on. Since I purchase more in music that I do components,
    music reviews mean as much to me as the other stuff (since recorded music is
    such a minefield as far as recording quality)

    And, I am assuming you are NOT a subscriber, nor do you purchase the
    magazine on the newsstand - so why the heck should they take heed? You
    aren't their constituency, and they aren't trying to satisfy non
    subscribers. Especially ones that are conflicted about the validity of "high
    end" itself.

    I like a variety of magazines, even ones that disagree with my experiences,
    why should there be such condemnation?
  39. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    "Norman M. Schwartz" <nmsz@optonline.net> wrote in message news:<cn5ied014hh@news2.newsguy.com>...
    > "B&D" <bromo@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message
    > > On 11/12/04 2:04 PM, in article cn31f102va3@news3.newsguy.com, "Norman M.
    > > Schwartz" <nmsz@optonline.net> wrote:
    > >
    > >> "Jim Cate" <jimcate@pdq.net> wrote in message

    > >> People (1) get to play with these toys free of charge, (2) pay their
    > >> bills
    > >> (wholly or in part) by their writings, and (3) attend conventions and
    > >> meetings to party around at reader's expense. Not bad at all if you can
    > >> swing it and manage a straight face.
    > >
    > > Hey - they have the subscribers to do it. I wouldn't blast them as they
    > > offer value to their subscribers otherwise there wouldn't be any
    > > subscribers.
    >
    > Hey - the question *is* whether or not speaker cable is better than lamp
    > cord. IF it is not better, they are robbing their subscribers BLIND, not by
    > a $14.97/year subscription, but by leading gullible readers to financially
    > support dealers and cable manufacturers. I believe the original poster
    > (sincerely ??) inquired about the basis for the entire hullabaloo if all
    > cable of similar gauge sounded the same, and if so, what is the basis for
    > the "whole issue"? Unfortunately the basis for the issue, like far too many
    > others, is $$$. Their *value* to subscribers might be entertainment, but
    > that entertainment subsides when you come to the realization that you are
    > contributing to their life style and wasting valuable serious listening
    > hours reading fantasies. And it's most unfortunate should anyone go spend
    > their hard earned dollars buying wire or equipment based upon writers and
    > editors life styles.

    This assumes that Stereophile readers believe cables make a difference
    because Stereophile tells them so. But it's just as likely that they
    read Stereophile *because they already believe* that cables make a
    difference. In which case, the magazine is giving its readers exactly
    what they want.

    bob
  40. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    Bob Marcus wrote:
    >> And it's most unfortunate should
    >> anyone go spend their hard earned dollars buying wire or equipment
    >> based upon writers and editors life styles.
    >
    > This assumes that Stereophile readers believe cables make a difference
    > because Stereophile tells them so. But it's just as likely that they
    > read Stereophile *because they already believe* that cables make a
    > difference. In which case, the magazine is giving its readers exactly
    > what they want.

    I think it is very unlikely that the average Joe Reader will invest into
    these expensive cables. It is more like a car mag testing some exotic
    Italian sports car, just for entertainment of the readers. Nobody will buy
    one, even if the tester is enthusiatic about it.
    And it is not only cables and other snake oil accessories, but all articles.
    Every issue has to have a "breakthru" never heard before object to satisfy
    the readers curiosity. Something new and better, unheard of before, so you
    also buy the next issue, even if everything is just a repetition. There is
    not much happening out there, but you have to deliver important news. This
    "sensational" makeup is called Journalism. The mag wants to entertain and
    the reader is happy.
    --
    ciao Ban
    Bordighera, Italy

    nabob33@hotmail.com (Bob Marcus) wrote:

    >"Norman M. Schwartz" <nmsz@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >> "B&D" <bromo@ix.netcom.com> wrote in message

    >> > Hey - they have the subscribers to do it. I wouldn't blast them as they
    >> > offer value to their subscribers otherwise there wouldn't be any
    >> > subscribers.
    >>
    >> Hey - the question *is* whether or not speaker cable is better than lamp
    >> cord. IF it is not better, they are robbing their subscribers BLIND, not
    >by
    >> a $14.97/year subscription, but by leading gullible readers to financially
    >> support dealers and cable manufacturers. I believe the original poster
    >> (sincerely ??) inquired about the basis for the entire hullabaloo if all
    >> cable of similar gauge sounded the same, and if so, what is the basis for
    >> the "whole issue"? Unfortunately the basis for the issue, like far too many
    >
    >> others, is $$$. Their *value* to subscribers might be entertainment, but
    >> that entertainment subsides when you come to the realization that you are
    >> contributing to their life style and wasting valuable serious listening
    >> hours reading fantasies. And it's most unfortunate should anyone go spend
    >> their hard earned dollars buying wire or equipment based upon writers and
    >> editors life styles.
    >
    >This assumes that Stereophile readers believe cables make a difference
    >because Stereophile tells them so. But it's just as likely that they
    >read Stereophile *because they already believe* that cables make a
    >difference. In which case, the magazine is giving its readers exactly
    >what they want.
    >
    >bob

    Well this latter point is certainly true but if the readership already believes
    in magic and only uses the magazine to reinforce current held mythology then no
    one would need the magazine to get a recommendation to coat their cds with
    Armor All for better sound.

    While I do think it's true that these books reinforce mythology I also wonder
    why fair, honest reporting of the truth about sound quality is not of equal
    importance.
  42. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    On 11/13/04 8:57 PM, in article cn6e1m02uup@news2.newsguy.com, "Bob Marcus"
    <nabob33@hotmail.com> wrote:

    > This assumes that Stereophile readers believe cables make a difference
    > because Stereophile tells them so. But it's just as likely that they
    > read Stereophile *because they already believe* that cables make a
    > difference. In which case, the magazine is giving its readers exactly
    > what they want.

    It is also that some subscribers take the reviews (as all reviews) with the
    grains of salt they deserve, and buy the magazine not for the occasional
    cable review, but the music reviews, the writing and the reviews of the
    other components.

    The (I believe incorrect) assumption is that somehow the readership endorse
    and believe everything they read - I seriously doubt that. I certainly
    don't believe everything I read, so why should the readers of Stereophile or
    TAS?
  43. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    I read Stereophile just for entertainment and laughs. I find it hard to
    believe that any sensible person would accept the advertisers claims
    without at least a home trial. This is especially true when you take
    into account the things that really make a difference - room acoustics,
    speaker placement, atmospheric conditions (temperature, humidity,
    pressure), and state of mind.

    ---MIKE---
  44. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    >>> Hey - they have the subscribers to do it. I wouldn't blast them as they
    >>> offer value to their subscribers otherwise there wouldn't be any
    >>> subscribers.
    >>
    >> Hey - the question *is* whether or not speaker cable is better than lamp
    >> cord. IF it is not better, they are robbing their subscribers BLIND, not
    >> by
    >> a $14.97/year subscription, but by leading gullible readers to
    >> financially
    >> support dealers and cable manufacturers.
    >
    > Without getting into a large philosophical argument, since 'phile and TAS
    > are both successful magazines - with large-ish readership. There is no
    > shame in #1, #2, #3 above, and if you do not agree with their reviews, and
    > your experience shows that you feel they are wrong, it does not diminish
    > their validity as a magazine that specializes in audio entertainment.
    > Only
    > failure as a magazine would do that.

    Success equals ?

    > And if they get *all* of their cable reviews wrong, it is not a cable
    > review
    > magazine, either. Last time I checked they had music reviews, source
    > component reviews, speaker reviews, preamp, integrated amps, power amp
    > reviews, and so on. Since I purchase more in music that I do components,
    > music reviews mean as much to me as the other stuff (since recorded music
    > is
    > such a minefield as far as recording quality)

    Like yourself I thought I could use their reviews, until a purchased many
    recordings to die 4, which were stinkers. Have you found their reviews 100%
    on the mark? I became unable to trust the reviews and reading fantasy is not
    my cup of tea (or coffee).

    > And, I am assuming you are NOT a subscriber, nor do you purchase the
    > magazine on the newsstand - so why the heck should they take heed? You
    > aren't their constituency, and they aren't trying to satisfy non
    > subscribers. Especially ones that are conflicted about the validity of
    > "high
    > end" itself.
    >
    > I like a variety of magazines, even ones that disagree with my
    > experiences,
    > why should there be such condemnation?

    ARMOR-ALL.
  45. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    >From: "Norman M. Schwartz" nmsz@optonline.net

    >Like yourself I thought I could use their reviews, until a purchased many
    >recordings to die 4, which were stinkers. Have you found their reviews 100%
    >on the mark? I became unable to trust the reviews and reading fantasy is not
    >my cup of tea (or coffee).

    I haven't had utter faith in audio reviewers ever since Sam Tellig raved about
    one of the original Adcom power amps in the late '80s (fortunately one of the
    first issues I read). "Tubelike," I believe he called it. "Earbleedingly
    shrill" is how I experienced a more powerful version of the amp.

    But I didn't extrapolate from this experience all reviewers are wrong all the
    time (nor do I think you're saying that), simply that I need to listen to stuff
    myself at home, with my ears, and always, always, always make sure I can return
    something for a full refund if I don't like the way it sounds at home.
  46. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    "It is also that some subscribers take the reviews (as all reviews) with
    the
    grains of salt they deserve, and buy the magazine not for the occasional
    cable review, but the music reviews, the writing and the reviews of the
    other components.

    The (I believe incorrect) assumption is that somehow the readership
    endorse
    and believe everything they read - I seriously doubt that. I certainly
    don't believe everything I read, so why should the readers of Stereophile
    or
    TAS?"

    What the mag, and others, sell is a culture of illusion. We can add all
    but speakers to the same box as wire,,ie. they are now in the commodity
    category where differences are no longer advances in sound reproduction
    but merely marketing flourish. Prifits in wire are large and allow the
    purchase of much ad space; which is the genesis of the illusion as
    publishing/marketing merge for mutual benefit. What readers do believe is
    the "I can hear it, I really really can, don't you hear it too, don't you
    believe me" gospil which now sells these commidities.
  47. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    On 11/14/04 11:45 AM, in article cn823n01oqc@news1.newsguy.com, "Norman M.
    Schwartz" <nmsz@optonline.net> wrote:

    > Like yourself I thought I could use their reviews, until a purchased many
    > recordings to die 4, which were stinkers. Have you found their reviews 100%
    > on the mark? I became unable to trust the reviews and reading fantasy is not
    > my cup of tea (or coffee).

    I have found the magazine on the whole well written, and relatively
    informative, though I am not a subscriber myself. I have found that Tas as
    well as Stereophile, when they rate "sonics" generally true to the mark.

    If you don't feel that you can trust the reviews, then by all mean, you
    shouldn't be reading the magazine.

    For me, I subscribe the 2 magazines that give sampler discs with each issue
    - which for me works out great. 1 magazine is an actual good read, the
    other one is so much fluff, but the CD's usually have 1-2 good albums
    featured, all I have to figure out is if the other songs are to my liking as
    the sound quality song-to-song is relatively constant in most albums.
    (Amazon is good for that)

    I picked up "Shaker Loops" from Naxos because of that, and Marta Gomez [?]
    based upon the sampler + some web searching.
  48. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    nousaine@aol.com (Nousaine) wrote in message news:<cn81cr01qtt@news2.newsguy.com>...

    > While I do think it's true that these books reinforce mythology I also wonder
    > why fair, honest reporting of the truth about sound quality is not of equal
    > importance.

    Because magazines have to interest readers--but they have to serve advertisers.

    bob
  49. Archived from groups: rec.audio.high-end (More info?)

    nabob33@hotmail.com (Bob Marcus) wrote:
    >nousaine@aol.com (Nousaine) wrote in message
    >
    >> While I do think it's true that these books reinforce mythology I also
    >wonder
    >> why fair, honest reporting of the truth about sound quality is not of equal
    >> importance.
    >
    >Because magazines have to interest readers--but they have to serve
    >advertisers.
    >
    >bob

    Sure; but isn't sound quality maximization a stated goal too? Do any of these
    magazines say "we are just interested in maximizing the return to advertisers?"
    and even then honest companies also advertise. What about them?

    All magazines don't fear reporting the truth. Check out "Can You Trust Your
    Ears?" and "To Tweak or not to Tweak " both in Stereo Review who, at the time,
    had as much advertising as anybody in the industry.

High-End Audio Speakers Audio Cable