Cartridge Recommendation for a Technics SL-23 Turntable

Last response: in Home Audio
October 30, 2004 7:12:35 PM

Hi to all - After about 28 years of using this turntable I thought I would be
able to replace it due to severe speed fluctuation. Fortunately (or
unfortunately) I got some good information as to how to correct the problem and
the speed is now dead on.

Over the years I've had many cartridges in this turntable ranging from a Shure
Type 3 to a B&O SP 12 to low end Grados. I've been happy with the Grados as
the hum problem has been relatively unnoticible on this table. Currently it
has a Grado XT+ in it, from the mid to late 80's.

I would like to put a new cartridge in it and have been reading reviews on the
Grado ZF3E+, the Grado Prestige Black and the Audio Technica AT95E. I'm
wondering if anyone has any comments on these cartridges as they might relate
to the SL-23 or other recommendations as to other cartridges that work well
with this turntable. If you are not familiar with the table it's a mid 70's
model with an S shaped arm.

Thanks in advance for any input. Vic Reyes
August 18, 2011 9:57:06 PM

Quote:

[...]

Vic -

I know this thread has been dead for some time but I'm in your same situation and looking for a cartridge and headshell for my SL-23. From what I've read, I will need a lighter-weight headshell. With regards to a cartridge, which route did you end up going and would you recommend it? I am leaning toward a Grado Prestige Black. Hopefully you get this..

Thanks
Nate

!