Sign in with
Your question

Cannot open Music CDs

Last response: in Windows 7
March 7, 2010 7:40:12 PM

Everytime I put a CD with music on it (Music only, like a CD album or something - it also does this with ripped discs too) and I try to open it, I get an error that says "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action." Well all I'm doing is double clicking a music CD (because I want it to play the disc). I've already gone through the default program settings and everything has a program. Windows Media Player is supposed to be the default I'm guessing - but none of the default modes just plain out say "CD Audio" so I have to assume it's something like .CDA format or something.

I can manage to work around and play the tracks by telling it to open in new window and then I can see all the tracks and play them (WMP is the program that launches them) - I just don't know what more it wants from me so I can just double click it and load the audio clips without me doing this. I don't even get why it's at least not just taking me to the open in new window screen view where I can look at all the individual tracks. Sometimes some of the things that don't work right or easily in Windows 7 just amaze me...

Anyone know what to do to fix this?

More about : open music cds

a b $ Windows 7
March 7, 2010 8:13:47 PM

Right click, open with, and assign a program to be associated with it, like WMP. Check the box to always use this program.
m
l
March 7, 2010 8:49:28 PM

daship said:
Right click, open with, and assign a program to be associated with it, like WMP. Check the box to always use this program.

There's no open with option - just Open and Open in New Window. This was always how you did it in XP and I think Vista too, but 7 doesn't have this same option (In favour of that stupid annoying Default Program thing under the control panel).
m
l
March 13, 2010 11:03:44 PM

No one else have a clue about this? Surely I can't be the only one experiencing this problem, and I haven't done anything special. The discs show up fine in stuff like iTunes but I can't double click the icon in My Computer to open it in any program.
m
l
!