XP Pro Recycle Bin is empty but still shows files icon

June 9, 2005 10:00:01 AM

I get this strange situation with my recycle bin. With nothing in the bin
(or even just after I empty the bin) the icon still shows it has files. But
when I try to empty it again, it wants to delete my Windows directory. This
is really odd. I have re-started my machine and the problem persists,
although after I re-start, the icon correctly shows that the bin is empty.

Other info:

This is a brand new PC with Windows XP Pro SP2.

I have scanned for malware, spyware, etc. with 4 different apps. There are
also no hidden files in the bin.

When I look at the c:\recycler directory I see that I have a copule of
sub-dricetories in there with very long numeric names which start with "S-1-"

I am running Norton Internet Security (firewall and anti-virus) in the
background if that is pertinent.
Anonymous
June 9, 2005 1:38:00 PM

You could try TweakUI for Windows XP, Repair Icons.

www.vanusa.org Software Page has the download site.

--
Don
Vancouver, USA

"Parthos" <Parthos@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I get this strange situation with my recycle bin. With nothing in the bin
> (or even just after I empty the bin) the icon still shows it has files.
> But
> when I try to empty it again, it wants to delete my Windows directory.
> This
> is really odd. I have re-started my machine and the problem persists,
> although after I re-start, the icon correctly shows that the bin is empty.
>
> Other info:
>
> This is a brand new PC with Windows XP Pro SP2.
>
> I have scanned for malware, spyware, etc. with 4 different apps. There
> are
> also no hidden files in the bin.
>
> When I look at the c:\recycler directory I see that I have a copule of
> sub-dricetories in there with very long numeric names which start with
> "S-1-"
>
> I am running Norton Internet Security (firewall and anti-virus) in the
> background if that is pertinent.

June 9, 2005 2:17:04 PM

Most times, it's just the icon that's wrong. Correct it by going to Display
Properties, Desktop, customize and change the empty icon to something
else--or rechoose the same icon and apply.
Also right click on the bin itself and make sure you are not using the
Norton Protected bin. Switch to the regular bin.

"Parthos" wrote:

> I get this strange situation with my recycle bin. With nothing in the bin
> (or even just after I empty the bin) the icon still shows it has files. But
> when I try to empty it again, it wants to delete my Windows directory. This
> is really odd. I have re-started my machine and the problem persists,
> although after I re-start, the icon correctly shows that the bin is empty.
>
> Other info:
>
> This is a brand new PC with Windows XP Pro SP2.
>
> I have scanned for malware, spyware, etc. with 4 different apps. There are
> also no hidden files in the bin.
>
> When I look at the c:\recycler directory I see that I have a copule of
> sub-dricetories in there with very long numeric names which start with "S-1-"
>
> I am running Norton Internet Security (firewall and anti-virus) in the
> background if that is pertinent.

Related resources
June 9, 2005 2:19:56 PM

Parthos wrote:
>> I get this strange situation with my recycle bin. With nothing in
>> the bin (or even just after I empty the bin) the icon still shows it
>> has files. But when I try to empty it again, it wants to delete my
>> Windows directory. This is really odd. I have re-started my machine
>> and the problem persists, although after I re-start, the icon
>> correctly shows that the bin is empty.
>>
>> Other info:
>>
>> This is a brand new PC with Windows XP Pro SP2.
>>
>> I have scanned for malware, spyware, etc. with 4 different apps.
>> There are also no hidden files in the bin.
>>
>> When I look at the c:\recycler directory I see that I have a copule
>> of sub-dricetories in there with very long numeric names which start
>> with "S-1-"
>>
>> I am running Norton Internet Security (firewall and anti-virus) in
>> the background if that is pertinent.

Isn't that annoying !? And you just can't get rid of the darn thing, not
from the command line, not from anywhere - it just doesn't want to go! I
got that from using 3rd party software. I got rid of that obstinate file by
reformatting the disk - although that might be a bit xtreme - and I stopped
it from coming back by turning off some features of 3rd party software.

You say you use some Norton. Just how much Norton SystemScrewUpTheWorks do
you have on board? Because I had a similar problem and it started with 3rd
party software thinking it could do a better job with the Recycle Bin than
Microsoft; and, as I said before, I resolved it by preventing the 3rd party
software from involving itself with the Recycle bin.

Here's some links:

Files Are Not Deleted From Recycler Folder
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;229041

How the Recycle Bin Stores Files
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;136517
Anonymous
June 10, 2005 11:11:03 AM

After reading many other replies in this newsgroup, I tried a solution that
works for me almost 100%: With the command prompt window, I deleted the
c:\recycler directory using rmdir /s c:\recycler, then I restarted my PC.
This directory and subfiles (INFO2) are recreated by Windows on restart and
when I open the empty recycle bin. I can now delete files and empty the bin
with no troubles. The only exception is if I delete a same-day file from my
IE Temp sub-directory. I'll live with that.

Disclaimer: this is a solution that worked for me. It may not work for you
and may cause harm. I am not responsible for any problems on other machines.
I took a chance and this worked for me.

"Mary" wrote:

> Most times, it's just the icon that's wrong. Correct it by going to Display
> Properties, Desktop, customize and change the empty icon to something
> else--or rechoose the same icon and apply.
> Also right click on the bin itself and make sure you are not using the
> Norton Protected bin. Switch to the regular bin.
>
> "Parthos" wrote:
>
> > I get this strange situation with my recycle bin. With nothing in the bin
> > (or even just after I empty the bin) the icon still shows it has files. But
> > when I try to empty it again, it wants to delete my Windows directory. This
> > is really odd. I have re-started my machine and the problem persists,
> > although after I re-start, the icon correctly shows that the bin is empty.
> >
> > Other info:
> >
> > This is a brand new PC with Windows XP Pro SP2.
> >
> > I have scanned for malware, spyware, etc. with 4 different apps. There are
> > also no hidden files in the bin.
> >
> > When I look at the c:\recycler directory I see that I have a copule of
> > sub-dricetories in there with very long numeric names which start with "S-1-"
> >
> > I am running Norton Internet Security (firewall and anti-virus) in the
> > background if that is pertinent.

Anonymous
June 11, 2005 5:53:05 PM

> After reading many other replies in this newsgroup, I tried a solution
> that
> works for me almost 100%: With the command prompt window, I deleted the
> c:\recycler directory using rmdir /s c:\recycler, then I restarted my PC.
> This directory and subfiles (INFO2) are recreated by Windows on restart
> and
> when I open the empty recycle bin. I can now delete files and empty the
> bin
> with no troubles. The only exception is if I delete a same-day file from
> my
> IE Temp sub-directory. I'll live with that.

If you do Shift + Delete, this will bypass the Recycle Bin

rgds
Li'l Roberto
June 11, 2005 11:01:12 PM

when this happens (rare) I usually just create a temp file w/ notepad,
trash it, and then empty the bin, it usually always reverts to the right
icon.

older versions of Norton could cause the recyclebin icon to stop working
completely, they used to have a "fix" posted on the symantec site,
basically telling you how to reset the reg entries for it to their
defaults.
!