CD player

Last response: in Home Audio
November 7, 2004 7:31:53 PM

What's the recommended mid-price CD player for an old crock to use with
competent aging Sansui G401 50 wpc tuner amp and mid-range mid-size
KEF-like speakers. My hearing isn't what it was and only one ear can
manage 17k+. The other only does phones. Tastes classical and chamber.
So something nice and clear, with good dynamics. Thanks.

More about : player

Anonymous
November 7, 2004 7:59:47 PM

"Wichita" <wichitaka@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What's the recommended mid-price CD player for an old crock to use with
> competent aging Sansui G401 50 wpc tuner amp and mid-range mid-size
> KEF-like speakers. My hearing isn't what it was and only one ear can
> manage 17k+. The other only does phones. Tastes classical and chamber.
> So something nice and clear, with good dynamics. Thanks.

Acutally, if you can find one, a Panasonic S55 should meet your needs. It
does DVD-V (very mediocre) and CD and DVD-A (very well). It is one of the
clearest and most transparent CD players I have heard under $1000 and has
good dynamics. It is now discontinued, but I still see them in some box
stores at a closeout price of $89 (originally listed at $149). The sound
errs on the lightly "lean" side but that doesn't keep it from being musical.
It has a good upsampling system that actually improves CD sound, and of
course it lets you play around with hi-rez DVD-A sound if that appeals to
you.
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 8:47:09 PM

On 11/7/04 11:31 AM, in article cmlilp0nv5@news2.newsguy.com, "Wichita"
<wichitaka@yahoo.com> wrote:

> What's the recommended mid-price CD player for an old crock to use with
> competent aging Sansui G401 50 wpc tuner amp and mid-range mid-size
> KEF-like speakers. My hearing isn't what it was and only one ear can
> manage 17k+. The other only does phones. Tastes classical and chamber.
> So something nice and clear, with good dynamics. Thanks.

It all depends upon what you call "Mid Price"

There are a lot of folks 'round these parts that think "mid price" is
$25-60, and some about $800-1800.
November 8, 2004 12:40:54 AM

On 11/7/04 12:47 PM, in article cmln2t0tbs@news2.newsguy.com, "B&D"
<bromo@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

> On 11/7/04 11:31 AM, in article cmlilp0nv5@news2.newsguy.com, "Wichita"
> <wichitaka@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> What's the recommended mid-price CD player for an old crock to use with
>> competent aging Sansui G401 50 wpc tuner amp and mid-range mid-size
>> KEF-like speakers. My hearing isn't what it was and only one ear can
>> manage 17k+. The other only does phones. Tastes classical and chamber.
>> So something nice and clear, with good dynamics. Thanks.
>
> It all depends upon what you call "Mid Price"
>
> There are a lot of folks 'round these parts that think "mid price" is
> $25-60, and some about $800-1800.

IN the $800-2000 range, you might want to check out:

1. Linn Genki
2. Cyrus CD8X
3. Arcam CD192
4. Naim CD5i
5. Cary 308
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 3:53:53 AM

Thanks .. must confess I was thinking more $500-ish and now hear the NAD
541i and it's like are highly regarded? Cheers.
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 3:59:40 AM

The best player I ever heard was a five disc yamaha That I bought just to
use for cds. At 145$ it was a steal
Currently I have a sony 300 disc cd changer, That might not seem hi-fi but
Sony is famous for having DACS in cheap equipment that embarasses much more
expensive gear.
As for dynamic sound you might want to check into something like the outlaw
monoblocks, they have a dampinh factor of around 400, which will make for a
fast responsive sound. Yamaha is the only receiver that pays attention to
this spec, and most of their stuff has exelent damping factors
"Wichita" <wichitaka@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> What's the recommended mid-price CD player for an old crock to use with
> competent aging Sansui G401 50 wpc tuner amp and mid-range mid-size
> KEF-like speakers. My hearing isn't what it was and only one ear can
> manage 17k+. The other only does phones. Tastes classical and chamber.
> So something nice and clear, with good dynamics. Thanks.
Anonymous
November 10, 2004 4:16:54 AM

On 11/8/04 7:53 PM, in article cmp4f10163c@news2.newsguy.com, "Wichita"
<wichitaka@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Thanks .. must confess I was thinking more $500-ish and now hear the NAD
> 541i and it's like are highly regarded? Cheers.

The NAD 542 is a great buy. Also consider the Cambridge Audio 640 and Music
Hall CD25
!