Task manager AND system tray

June 9, 2005 5:39:51 PM

Hi,

I use Windows XP Home edition on my laptop. My question is about the
task manager. When the task manager is started, it should always appear
as a little "guage" green icon that show CPU usage in the system tray.

The problem is that it does not always shown in the system tray, it
mostly seem to be a random apearance. I may have to close and restart
2-3 times before it appear in the system tray.

Is there a reason why it should not appear in the system tray. On other
system I use (windows 2000 server running on destop computer), it always
appear in system tray.

This is not critical but just annoying because I always need to see my
CPU usage.

Thanks :)
Marty
June 9, 2005 5:39:52 PM

Marty wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I use Windows XP Home edition on my laptop. My question is about the
>> task manager. When the task manager is started, it should always
>> appear as a little "guage" green icon that show CPU usage in the
>> system tray.
>>
>> The problem is that it does not always shown in the system tray, it
>> mostly seem to be a random apearance. I may have to close and
>> restart 2-3 times before it appear in the system tray.
>>
>> Is there a reason why it should not appear in the system tray. On
>> other system I use (windows 2000 server running on destop computer),
>> it always appear in system tray.
>>
>> This is not critical but just annoying because I always need to see
>> my CPU usage.
>>
>> Thanks :)
>> Marty

Right-click on an empty area of the Taskbar > select "Properties" > uncheck
the "Hide inactive icons" checkbox
June 9, 2005 6:11:23 PM

Hi Stephen,

This is already done, I unlocked everything, getting rid of the XP
scheme. So the taskbar is unlocked and inactive icons are shown.

Marty

Stephen wrote:

> Marty wrote:
>
>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>I use Windows XP Home edition on my laptop. My question is about the
>>>task manager. When the task manager is started, it should always
>>>appear as a little "guage" green icon that show CPU usage in the
>>>system tray.
>>>
>>>The problem is that it does not always shown in the system tray, it
>>>mostly seem to be a random apearance. I may have to close and
>>>restart 2-3 times before it appear in the system tray.
>>>
>>>Is there a reason why it should not appear in the system tray. On
>>>other system I use (windows 2000 server running on destop computer),
>>>it always appear in system tray.
>>>
>>>This is not critical but just annoying because I always need to see
>>>my CPU usage.
>>>
>>>Thanks :)
>>>Marty
>

> Right-click on an empty area of the Taskbar > select "Properties" > uncheck
> the "Hide inactive icons" checkbox

Related resources
June 9, 2005 6:11:24 PM

Marty wrote:

There is no known solution :(

You will have to go out an buy a new computer with a VERY fast dual-core
processor and at least a PCIX ATI graphics card; because the one you have
has been infected by the "Win32.little icon doesn'tXPshow-up.sometimes.exe"
virus which will eventually drive you right mad with frustration and little
niggling feelings.

I pity you. So sorry. I hope you can find it in yourself to enjoy the new
computer you will have to get.
June 9, 2005 7:28:25 PM

Stephen wrote:

> Marty wrote:
>

> There is no known solution :(

What is your source to say that there is no know solutions?
June 9, 2005 7:28:26 PM

Marty wrote:
>> Stephen wrote:
>>
>>> Marty wrote:
>>>

>>> There is no known solution :(
>>
>> What is your source to say that there is no know solutions?

I wrote it myself, that's how I know. It is designed to drive people right
mad with frustration and little niggling feelings. I poured all my genius
into Win32.little.icon.doesn'tXPshow-up.sometimes.exe and only the quickest
systems have any hope against it. It has - count 'em - 256 legs in legacy
mode alone. And they scurry along at 2.7 GHz.

Your new computer MUST have a fast processor or the virus will be able to
catch up to it. A fast graphics card too will help you outrun it. So run,
don't walk, down to the computer store and you might be able to get there
before the virus does. Cash is faster than debit if you have it handy
[besides the virus knows about Interac and might infect the stripe on your
debit card].

Hurry, now, scurry! Git!
June 9, 2005 7:28:27 PM

lol, that's brutal : )

"Stephen" <stephen@online.nospam> wrote in message
> Marty wrote:

>>> What is your source to say that there is no know solutions?
>
> I wrote it myself, that's how I know. It is designed to drive people right
> mad with frustration and little niggling feelings. I poured all my genius
> into Win32.little.icon.doesn'tXPshow-up.sometimes.exe and only the
> quickest
> systems have any hope against it. It has - count 'em - 256 legs in legacy
> mode alone. And they scurry along at 2.7 GHz.
>
> Your new computer MUST have a fast processor or the virus will be able to
> catch up to it. A fast graphics card too will help you outrun it. So run,
> don't walk, down to the computer store and you might be able to get there
> before the virus does. Cash is faster than debit if you have it handy
> [besides the virus knows about Interac and might infect the stripe on your
> debit card].
>
> Hurry, now, scurry! Git!

June 9, 2005 10:31:26 PM

perhaps this will help:

get the whole tool, or just try the single item about 1/2 way down,
"Remove Past Items".

[I know, you said you have hide icons turned off, but it's worth a try].

good luck.
June 9, 2005 10:31:27 PM

frodo@theshire.org wrote:
>> perhaps this will help:
>>
>> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
>>
>> get the whole tool, or just try the single item about 1/2 way down,
>> "Remove Past Items".
>>
>> [I know, you said you have hide icons turned off, but it's worth a
>> try].
>>
>> good luck.

TweakUI has a 'rebuild icons' function but I don't think it would apply here
??
June 9, 2005 11:21:48 PM

lol !!! :)

Stephen wrote:
> Marty wrote:

>>>What is your source to say that there is no know solutions?
>

> I wrote it myself, that's how I know. It is designed to drive people right
> mad with frustration and little niggling feelings. I poured all my genius
> into Win32.little.icon.doesn'tXPshow-up.sometimes.exe and only the quickest
> systems have any hope against it. It has - count 'em - 256 legs in legacy
> mode alone. And they scurry along at 2.7 GHz.
>
> Your new computer MUST have a fast processor or the virus will be able to
> catch up to it. A fast graphics card too will help you outrun it. So run,
> don't walk, down to the computer store and you might be able to get there
> before the virus does. Cash is faster than debit if you have it handy
> [besides the virus knows about Interac and might infect the stripe on your
> debit card].
>
> Hurry, now, scurry! Git!

June 9, 2005 11:22:49 PM

Do you think that my task bar is "broken"? how can this broke?

frodo@theshire.org wrote:

> perhaps this will help:

> get the whole tool, or just try the single item about 1/2 way down,
> "Remove Past Items".
>
> [I know, you said you have hide icons turned off, but it's worth a try].
>
> good luck.

Anonymous
August 11, 2005 4:57:01 PM

Hi ya Marty. I was having the exact same problem. I've come to rely on
my graph bar. As I was surfing around trying 2 find a solution a few days ago
I came across a cool little free Task Manager. I'll post the link below &
hope I'm not breaking any rules by doing so. I think you'll really like it as
you can put a check mark so it'll replace Microsoft’s Task Manager. You can
configure it 2 do a lot of things. I thought about telling u some of the
things it can do but I don't want to sound like I have any vested interest in
it ‘cause I don’t. Click on everything to see what all it can do. Hope you're
still checking this thread.

http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/ProcessExplorer.h...

meadowmuffin said
it